NJ NJ - Depford, WhtFem 16-20, UP1489, in woods, pearl necklace, sweatpants, Feb'90

this Jane Doe's image (actually 2 of them) are in this photo gallery at the Courier Post. unless I am a complete idiot, I was not able to find a story in connection with the photos. it is a not a user friendly website.

for what it is worth there are several images of Donna Fontana who is the contact person for most of the NJ UIDs.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/ap...30215&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=302150804&Ref=PH

We're both idiots. Looks like a story called Cold Cases; so far only photos are uploaded.

It also not on their FB Page

this Jane Doe's image (actually 2 of them) are in this photo gallery at the Courier Post. unless I am a complete idiot, I was not able to find a story in connection with the photos. it is a not a user friendly website.

for what it is worth there are several images of Donna Fontana who is the contact person for most of the NJ UIDs.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/ap...30215&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=302150804&Ref=PH

Really interesting slide show!! Thanks for sharing. I am from NJ too.

mjak

I found one girl who matches Jane Doe on the following: JEWELRY:(the earrings), AGE:17(puts her in Jane doe's age range)WEIGHT: 120 lbs(puts her in Jane doe's weight range)HAIR COLOR:brown(match to Jane doe's hair color)TIME FRAME:she went missing Dec. 30, 1989.---Jane doe was found feb 1990,
Height is off by a couple inches--and time frame is tight but--worth a look
Karen spencer??
Karen had same exact hoop earrings-Could they be off on the date of death time frame--it is possible for a body to go to skeletal in 2 months(depends on enviormental factors--
I included a link to an article from 2010--has an age progression photo of karen where you can see the earrings clearly--also I think their teeth look similar--
http://www.justice4caylee.org/t5041-karen-spencer-17-yo-1989-cincinnati-oh

I found one girl who matches Jane Doe on the following: JEWELRY:(the earrings), AGE:17(puts her in Jane doe's age range)WEIGHT: 120 lbs(puts her in Jane doe's weight range)HAIR COLOR:brown(match to Jane doe's hair color)TIME FRAME:she went missing Dec. 30, 1989.---Jane doe was found feb 1990,
Karen spencer??
Karen had same exact hoop earrings-Could they be off on the date of death time frame--it is possible for a body to go to skeletal in 2 months(depends on enviormental factors--
I included a link to an article from 2010--has an age progression photo of karen where you can see the earrings clearly--also I think their teeth look similar--
'
Karen Spencer NamUs- DNA on file

Karen spencer??

The hoop earrings are only part of the age progressed photo, it is not indicated she was wearing them when she went missing.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/spencer_karen.html

I would rule this out. Height, weight, estimated post mortem, clothing and circumstances are all off when compared to each other.

The hoop earrings are only part of the age progressed photo, it is not indicated she was wearing them when she went missing.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/spencer_karen.html

I would rule this out. Height, weight, estimated post mortem, clothing and circumstances are all off when compared to each other.

Yeah this Jane doe is a hard one to match--took a look at karen dentals--she doesnt have an open bite like Jane doe--so... im off to keep looking

Still no story to go with the photos. I searched Cold Cases as well as George Mast

Here goes second attempt---Found someone who seems to be wearing a pearl necklace in her picture(you have to zoom in) and she has double pierced ears and crooked smile? she went missing June 15, 1988--only 6 months before Jane Does estimated "death date"---Hair color is also a match--Height (within 1 inch of minimum height given) weight(within 10 lbs of minimum weight given)---The she was 12 would put her 4 years under minimum age given--However--I if they are basing her 16-20 age range off the fact that twelve year molars had already erupted?---Well then Doreen was twelve and her twelve year molars might have already erupted---I recently saw a Jane doe ID ,the girl turned out to be 3 years younger than the minimum age that had been given for the Jane Doe.
Doreen Jane Vincent???
when you got to link look closely at pic on left(to see the pearl necklace)
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/87dfct.html

Did anyone notice in the second article about this Jane Doe, she was strangled with a ligature consisting of; a short sock, a knee length hose, a pair of pantyhose, all INSIDE a pair of sweatpants?

What was going on there? Could this possibly indicate a circulation problem with one leg? Or a person so down on their luck they had to wear anything they could get - and wear it all at once?

Story on one of the links shows what was typical for the area back then.

The Mystery Ends For Family Of N.j. Girl Missing 10 Years, Discovery Finally Confirms Their Worst Fears January 09, 1986
"Initially, the police did nothing," said Majane, 53. "They told us we had to wait 48 hours before they could do anything. When we went back, they really weren't interested in it. They said Carolyn had run away . . . The whole atmosphere was, 'Go away and don't bother me.' "...

Weeks passed and Elizabeth Majane appeared on Philadelphia television news programs, appealing to anyone who might have seen her daughter. No one had.

John Majane eventually called the FBI and a private detective. He was told the local police were best equipped to investigate his daughter's disappearance.

The Moorestown police, however, had listed the case of Carolyn Majane as a ''probable runaway."

.."God knows how many other young girls are in this same situation all over the country," said Majane. "I just hope that by talking about it, it might prevent this from happening to someone else."

Snips from Zwiebels links
Deptford Police Seek Identity Of Skeleton February 07, 1990

All they have to go on is the skeleton found in some brush at the edge of a cornfield in Deptford Township, Gloucester County. Two hunters made the grisly discovery on Monday as they trekked through the field about a mile from Caulfield Avenue.

Police combed the area yesterday searching for clues. They found a gold hoop earring, a gold stud earring and a strand of one-quarter-inch imitation pearls. But police said they had little else to go on.

A preliminary medical examination indicated that the body was that of a woman who had been dead several months, according to Gloucester County Prosecutor Richard E. Hickey 3d. Some of the woman's clothing had disintegrated or may have been removed before her death, said Hickey, who labeled the death suspicious.

Deptford Death Called A Murder May 29, 1991
A young woman whose skeletal remains were found at the edge of a cornfield in Deptford Township in February 1990 was murdered, Gloucester County Prosecutor Richard E. Hickey 3d said yesterday.

Hickey said that the woman died of strangulation and that a pair of sweat pants was found tied around her neck. Inside the sweatpants were a pair of pantyhose, a knee-length stocking and a mid-length sock, the prosecutor said.

He made the disclosures during a news conference called to unveil a bust of the dead woman...
Until yesterday, authorities had not disclosed the cause of death of the young woman, who they think was between 16 and 20 years old.

The prosecutor said he had withheld the cause of death "hoping that we would have been able to identify her first."

"We have chased down every missing person we could find without success..
...body may have been in the wooded area since the winter of 1988. He said a dental examination revealed that the victim had an overbite

I can't even find her age. No Namus, no doenetwork??
I want to see a pic because the leg injury might have needed extra support, scarred lip and missing tooth fit well with our lady, and if those scars came from a bike accident, a deviated septum's possible too.

I can't believe she's not on the database after all this time. What a shame.

Carolyn Edwards, 5ft 6, 125lbs, dark brown to black hair, motorcycle burn on one leg, dollar tattoo on other, diagonal scar on mouth, front tooth missing. Missing August 1989.
Infuriatingly, no photo available.
http://www.marylandmissing.com/missingpersons.html
I can't even find her age. No Namus, no doenetwork??
I want to see a pic because the leg injury might have needed extra support, scarred lip and missing tooth fit well with our lady, and if those scars came from a bike accident, a deviated septum's possible too.

I can't believe she's not on the database after all this time. What a shame.

She's not even listed on Baltimore's site. Makes me wonder if she's "found".
Wouldn't be the 1st one I've run into the last week or so

Case File 343DFMN
(the doe network)
Susan Anne Swedell
Missing since January 19, 1988 from Lake Elmo, Washington County, Minnesota.
Classification: Endangered Missing
Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: February 13, 1968
Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4; 100 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Sandy/Light brown hair; hazel eyes.
Marks, Scars: Pierced ears.
Clothing: Winter jacket, short skirt.
AKA: Sue
Dentals: Available. Swedell has had extensive dental work.
age range a fit-hair color a fit-height a match (within 1 inch of min height given)-she has pierced ears-Time frame--she went missing 1 year before est. death date--I think see the crooked nose part in the middle picture- weight is a little off but if you take the year into account she could have gained 20 lbs
easy-)Case File 343DFMN
http://www.doenetwork.org/

Story- A forensic sculptor's 'educated guess' is the only clue to woman's identity in Deptford cold case

(from page 1)
One in an occasional series on unsolved area crimes

It has been more than two decades since two hunters chasing a rabbit into a thickly wooded field in Deptford made a grisly discovery: human skeletal remains.

Twenty-three years later the remains found in February 1990 have a face but not a name. A facial reconstruction crafted in 1991 under the delicate fingers of New Jersey State Police forensic anthropologist Donna Fontana portrays a young white female with prominent cheeks and a strong nose.

The only clues to the woman’s past life and her death were found in that desolate tract off Clements Bridge Road: skeletal remains, 14-carat gold earrings, a strand of imitation pearls and clothing apparently used to strangle her.

For detectives who have worked the case, the investigation has never gotten farther than her name.

“There’s not a lot you can do without an identity,” said Stacie Lick, the detective at the Gloucester County Prosecutor’s Office now assigned to the case of Jane Doe II.....

(From page 4)
But such successful cases aren’t easy. Many missing persons reports, especially from decades past, are not entered into national databases such as NamUs. And a facial reconstruction is only successful when it reaches the right audience.

Fontana created the reconstruction of the woman in Deptford a year after her remains were found. By then, Fontana had helped investigators piece together a profile of the victim: white female, between 16 and 20, between 5-4 and 5-8 in height.

A Courier-Post article from that time reported it took about eight weeks to collect the information and create the bust. Investigators at the time said they hoped the re-creation would “jog a few memories.”

“It kind of bothers me that we have a girl out there so young and we don’t know who she is,” prosecutor’s office investigator Robert J. Best said at the time.

Fontana and Lick have the same sentiment today.

Lick said the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children was contacted about the case and digital re-creations of the woman’s face were created. The re-creations have resulted in calls from anxious relatives over the years. Lick said a man from Canada called last month believing Jane Doe II could be a match for his long missing sister.

Further examination determined otherwise.

“That’s the type of thing we do in this case,” Lick said of frequently testing the woman’s records against missing person’s cases.

The detective said it remains unclear whether the woman was from South Jersey or if the wooded area — now the site of a Lowe’s store — was selected by someone passing through on a nearby highway.

~Snip-
Web sleuths

Aside from Lick and a Deptford police detective, there are civilian sleuths bent on identifying the woman. The woman’s case is featured this week on www.websleuths.com and a forum dedicated to the case is filled with posts from people comparing the woman’s features to that of missing persons on sites such as NamUs.gov.

A moderator on the Web forum theorized this week the woman’s features, especially her smile, were unique enough “that she shouldn’t be hard to recognize if we had the right missing person.”

The moderator had taken the time to analyze a Deptford High School year book from 1987 but found no faces that matched that of Jane Doe II.

A flier with the woman’s face still hangs on the wall at Fontana’s office. On a counter are facial reconstructions from three other unsolved cases. One is that of a woman found partially clothed in Logan in 2004.

Despite her professional success and awards, Fontana’s conversation often returns to those faces without names.

“These cases will haunt me until they get identified.”

So now we know where she was found--the cornfield where the Lowe's/Chic-Fil-A now is. I drove by there just yesterday during a visit home and noticed just how much forest/swamp still remains in this area despite how developed it is. It is also RIGHT next to Route 55 which I think was either still under construction, or had been recently completed, in 1989.

We have also learned the pantyhose, stockings, and sweatpants were not just found WITH the victim--they were used to strangle her. The pantyhose and stockings stuffed inside the sweatpants is curious I agree--I don't know if it leads to a circulation problem in one of her legs though. Were the sweatpants hers, or were they men's size? Assuming they were hers, it's possible she was wearing them when she was attacked (although when I'm wearing 14 carat gold earrings and a pearl necklace I usually try to dress in something a little nicer than sweatpants), or possibly she had an extra set of clothes with her, and they were the first thing the attacker grabbed to strangle her.

Being strangled with a ligature such as sweatpants raises the question also whether we are looking at a male or female attacker. I think if she were strangled with hands it would be safe to assume we were looking for a male, but sweatpants are very strong and gender-neutral and I think it's possible a female could have killed this poor girl.

I sincerely hope somebody reads this article and recognizes this girl's facial reconstruction. Dead teenage girls don't just appear--they go missing from somewhere.

I looked back at the article written by George Mast and saw that there were zero comments.

shame. I sort of hoped maybe someone might say "she looks like a girl I went to high school with" or "she sort of looked like this gal down the block when I was growing up".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamabee1221
Back