NJ NJ - Margaret Fox, 14, Burlington, 24 June 1974

Did he respond to ads or place them himself? Do you know the nature of the ads? (Did he have one particular "theme" he used)

shadowangel said:
Did he respond to ads or place them himself? Do you know the nature of the ads? (Did he have one particular "theme" he used)
I don't have all the particulars on Carignan, but I do know that in 1973 he was running a gas station in Seattle and he would place ads for help wanted, then interview girls. One of his victims 15 and another was 13.

For a while, he drove a truck, and also traveled around by car. When he was captured, there was a map in his car with detailed markings of areas where he had killed or dumped victims.

With all the traveling he did, I would think that he probably also responded to ads, besides having put them in the paper himself.

Richard,

It seems that Carignan was in Minnesota in 1974 with a girl friend I suspect he later murdered.

May 1974 Harvey begins dating and living with Eileen Hunley, who he picks up hitchhiking, after moving to Minnesota

August 9 1974 Eileen Breaks off their relationship.

August 10 1974 Eileen Hunley disappeared. Her body was found a five weeks later in Shelbourne County five weeks later, her skull imploded by blows to the head. It was determined that she had been raped with a tree branch.

September 8 1974 June Lynch, 17 and Lisa King, 16, were picked up by Carignan while they were hitching rides in Minneapolis. Carignan offered him money if that would help him fetch another car that had been stranded in a rural area. Once they reach the outskirts of town Carignan stopped the car and beat June in the head and face with a hammer. Lisa was able to escape. While she was running for help, Carignan sped off leaving June on the road side for die.

September 14 1974 Carignan picked up Gwen Burton from a Sears parking lot. He ripped her clothing choked her into semi-consciousness and sexually assaulted her with a hammer. Carignan dumped her body in a near by field. Fortunately she survived the attack and was able to craw to the road side for help.

September 18 1974 Sally Versoi and Diane Flynn were picked up by Carignan. He forced them to perform oral sex and would beat them if they didn’t follow a command. The two girls were able to escape when Carignan stopped for fuel.

September 20 1974 Kathy Shultz did not make it to her classes. Her body was found the next day by hunters in a cornfield forty miles form Minneapolis. Her skull was imploded.

September 24 1974 Was pulled over and arrested due to survivor’s description of his car. When police searched his positions they found a map of the United States with 181 circles. Some of these circles identify places where he had applied for jobs and purchased cars but other identify several bodies. They were also associated with areas in which other unsolved crimes against women had taking place Carignan was arrested for attempted murder of Gwen Burton who identified him in a line up.

You can find his record from 1927 thru 1997 here: http://www.runet.edu/~maamodt/Carignan,%20Harvey.htm

Harvy Carignan is still enjoying a Life of leisure at taxpayer expense in a Minnesota prison. Here is the latest information available on him. You can see his picture by selecting the below link. By the way, he has been up for parole every year since 1993. If you care to let the parole board know your thoughts on letting him loose again, just drop them a line at corecords@co.doc.state.mn.us

HARVY LOUIS CARIGNAN: Current Status Offender Information
Demographic Information
OID Number: 100736
Name: HARVY LOUIS CARIGNAN
Birth Date: 5/18/1927
Current Status: Incarcerated
Admit Date: 6/23/1976
Anticipated Release Date **: Life Sentence - Contact corecords@co.doc.state.mn.us for release information
Expiration Date: N/A
Case Worker: P. O'Brien (651) 779-2700
Supervising Agent:
Controlling Offense Information :
Offense Description: WILLFUL KILL-NONFAM-GUN
Offense Modifier: NOT/APPL
Minnesota Statute(s): 609 185 1

County of Conviction: SHERBURNE
Court File Number:

Link to Minnesota Offender Locator:
http://info.doc.state.mn.us/publicviewer/Inmate.asp?OID=100736

I think they should let him loose...On the end of a rope, of course.

But then, I'm quite the barbarian.

It has been pointed out to me that several buildings, including a school, bear the name "John Marshall" in Mt. Holly (Marshall being a former Chief Justice in the late 1700's-early 1800's). It would be a sick irony on the part of the child abductor to use the name of a man so famous in the town-and a chief justice.

One thing that continues to trouble me is that the father is reported to have not taken the address of the respondent to the ad, only his name and number. Therefore, the family would have had no idea where she was. I'm sure LE didn't bother to check the LUDs on the family phone. I hate to be suspicious of family members...

shadowangel said:
It has been pointed out to me that several buildings, including a school, bear the name "John Marshall" in Mt. Holly (Marshall being a former Chief Justice in the late 1700's-early 1800's). It would be a sick irony on the part of the child abductor to use the name of a man so famous in the town-and a chief justice.

One thing that continues to trouble me is that the father is reported to have not taken the address of the respondent to the ad, only his name and number. Therefore, the family would have had no idea where she was. I'm sure LE didn't bother to check the LUDs on the family phone. I hate to be suspicious of family members...
I hate being suspicious of family too... but their actions still bewilder me.

The John Marshall name thing is a good probability... I have read several cases where this exact thing did happen... the killer used the name of a store or public building. So it would not be unheard of. ;)

Yaya said:
I can't understand what the parents were thinking to let a 14 year old girl go to baby sit for a total stranger without any references or ever meeting the family. This is so disturbing to me. My red light would have been going off from the beginning if my daughter told me a man was making all the arrangements for her to come baby sit.
Nor can I, from the modern standpoint, however nowadays people are much more watchful of their children. (I think because of all the technology. Two years ago I did not have a cell phone. Now I have one, and my mom freaks out at the thought of me going anywhere, even to my boyfriend's home a ten-minute drive away, without the phone. And I am twenty years old.)

And, in any case, it's a bit too late for "Margaret's parents should have done this." I'm sure they've been killing themselves over it ever since.

Bucks County Courier Times
Levvittown PA
Friday june 28th, 1974

Burlington City- A friend of 14-year-old Margaret Ellen Fox, who mysteriously disappeared after responding to a babysitting job in Mount Holly, had earlier rejected the job, it was learned last night.
A family spokesman for Margaret's friends said this morning " My sister didn't take the job because her mother didn't want her to be that far away from home"
Margaret was last seen on her way to meet a " John Marshall" who had answered her ad in the Burlington County Times for a babysitting job.
Margaret and her friend had placed an ad in the Burlington paper which said they were experienced babysitters and would "work in your house". The first number listed was the friend and Margaret's number followed........

......"It's just unfortunate that the bus driver doesn't recall Margaret getting on the bus" the concerned Lieutenant said. Butterfield said Margaret's brother Joseph, 11 saw her take the bus. Butterfield said that was confirmed by another witness.......

I found this story quite interesting in regards to Margaret's case, don't know if there's any connection but there really could be....

The Advocate
Saturday, June 18, 1977

MURDER CHARGED

East Brunswick, N.J. (AP) A repeated sex offender has been charged in the slaying of a religious honor student stabbed to death after being lured to a phony babysitting job, authorities said.

The suspect Jack Owens, 32, of Milltown, who lived four blocks from the victim, Patricia Kuhlthau, 15, was arrested Friday.....

Houseman had convictions dating back to 1969 for sex-related crimes, including assault with intent to rape and lewdness......

Authorities decided Houseman was their prime suspect after conferring with North Brunswick police, who were investigating reports of harassing phone calls made to girls who placed ads in local newspapers offering baby sitting services....

...authorities were led to Houseman, who did not know the victim, because he gave his real phone number in one of the calls.

In each phone call, the suspect used the name Anderson.....

Thanks lilsister, I was really shocked when I found this. The police had to have at the very least looked at this guy in the Margaret Fox case. I wonder if her family is aware of him.

Milltown is only about 35 miles from Burlington. The timeframe and MO are a close match. I wonder if phone records exist which might connect him with Margaret. He certainly sounds like a likely possibility.

Today, June 24, 2007, marks the thirty-third anniversary of Margaret's disappearance. Please keep her and her family in your thoughts and prayers. If you have any information regarding the disappearance of Margaret Ellen Fox, PLEASE call the Burlington City Police Department at 609-386-3300 (you can remain annonymous).

Has this UID been looked at as a possible match? Some aspects are similar

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/20ufnj.html

Unidentified White Female Discovered on December 10, 1988 in Atlantic Highlands, Monmouth County, New Jersey.
The victim was estimated to have been buried at the location for over 10 years.
The victim was estimated to have died sometime around 1970 - 1975

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 15 - 20 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0 - 5'4"; 100 - 120 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Hair and eye color are both undetermined.
  • Dentals: Available. Decedant had signifigant tooth decay. Gap in the upper central incisors.
  • Clothing: She was wearing a long-sleeved gray and red nylon laced top; a white bra; brown leather platform sandals, size 6 1/2 with a 2 1/2 inch-high heel; and knee-high white acrylic socks. Items found near her body included a portion of one pink rubber thong-style sandal; and a leather-like shoe or small boot with a picture of a football scene on the side, stitched in red and white.
  • DNA: Available in Codis
Case History

This victim was discovered off lower Bayside Drive in Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey as a parcel of land was cleared along Sandy Hook Bay.

ETA: Seems that this match has already been submitted - nothing reported back on a rule-out or match that I can find - this is on another thread also.

Attachments

• Fox_UID_Compare.jpg
    Fox_UID_Compare.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 100
Margaret Ellen Fox has been missing for just over 35 years now. Has anyone seen any recent articles about her?

Has this UID been looked at as a possible match? Some aspects are similar

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/20ufnj.html

Unidentified White Female Discovered on December 10, 1988 in Atlantic Highlands, Monmouth County, New Jersey.
The victim was estimated to have been buried at the location for over 10 years.
The victim was estimated to have died sometime around 1970 - 1975

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 15 - 20 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0 - 5'4"; 100 - 120 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Hair and eye color are both undetermined.
  • Dentals: Available. Decedant had signifigant tooth decay. Gap in the upper central incisors.
  • Clothing: She was wearing a long-sleeved gray and red nylon laced top; a white bra; brown leather platform sandals, size 6 1/2 with a 2 1/2 inch-high heel; and knee-high white acrylic socks. Items found near her body included a portion of one pink rubber thong-style sandal; and a leather-like shoe or small boot with a picture of a football scene on the side, stitched in red and white.
  • DNA: Available in Codis
Case History

This victim was discovered off lower Bayside Drive in Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey as a parcel of land was cleared along Sandy Hook Bay.

ETA: Seems that this match has already been submitted - nothing reported back on a rule-out or match that I can find - this is on another thread also.

I work about 10 minutes from Burlington where she vanished from,and i have gone fishing in the Atlantic Higlands area,where this body was found,and its a pretty good hike,i am talking close to 2 hours. Unless she was brought that far,i would guss it was not likely

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back