GUILTY NM - Ashlynne Mike, 11, San Juan County, 2 May 2016

Never think it can happen in your community. This is unreal.

Welcome to Websleuths, Redlight. We are all praying for the Navajo community and for the Mike family. May peace be found.

Mother’s call for death penalty challenges beliefs on Navajo Nation
Soon after Gov. Susana Martinez said she wanted legislators to reinstate the death penalty in New Mexico, the mother of an 11-year-old girl who was kidnapped, sexually assaulted and murdered on the Navajo Nation stirred debate about capital punishment on the state’s largest reservation.

Spotlighting frustrations with violent crime on the Navajo Nation, Ashlynne Mike’s mother, Pamela Foster, called on tribal leaders to authorize the death penalty.

“People say respect life as sacred, and slowly, with the creator’s help, we will find the right solutions for our people,” Foster wrote in an online petition that has since gained nearly 400 signatures. “Well, the right solution is changing the criminal justice system because crimes are outrageous on native land.”

Is Begaye Competent Enough to Stand Trial for Kidnapping and Murder?
Prosecutors in New Mexico have not forgotten about the man suspected in the brutal murder of 11-year old Ashlynne Mike last May.

(...)

Executive Assistant US Attorney for the District of New Mexico Elizabeth Martinez told Lake Powell Communications earlier this week the issue is “competency.” Efforts to determine if Begaye is competent to stand trial are continuing.

Everything I know about the Navajo is from being a devout reader of Tony Hillerman, so somebody please correct me - per the Navajo faith, Begaye's soul will never be clean again. He took a life, first of all, and the life of a child at that. I personally think that's what he was doing in that sweat lodge early in the search - praying for some kind of forgiveness that's not going to come.

I'm just coming into this thread and my heart breaks for this little girl, her siblings, parents and broader family. May young Ashlynne rest in peace now, and hopefully her brother and parents will heal and understand that the only blame lies with the person who carried out these terrible crimes. Like most of us I really struggle to understand how people allow themselves to cross that huge line into hurting and taking the life of a child. Where does this come from. It seems so rampant lately, child after child is treated as nothing at all, no regard at all for them or their family. It's really scary to realise how many people are out there willing to step across this line for vile reasons that should never be acted on. What's going on? [emoji26]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just coming into this thread and my heart breaks for this little girl, her siblings, parents and broader family. May young Ashlynne rest in peace now, and hopefully her brother and parents will heal and understand that the only blame lies with the person who carried out these terrible crimes. Like most of us I really struggle to understand how people allow themselves to cross that huge line into hurting and taking the life of a child. Where does this come from. It seems so rampant lately, child after child is treated as nothing at all, no regard at all for them or their family. It's really scary to realise how many people are out there willing to step across this line for vile reasons that should never be acted on. What's going on? [emoji26]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WELCOME to WS!
Great post!

Ashlynne Mike's parents continue advocacy
Almost a year after their 11-year-old daughter's death, Gary Mike and Pamela Foster continue to call on tribal officials to establish an Amber Alert system on the Navajo Nation.

The parents of Ashlynne Mike spoke today at an event to remember their daughter and to heighten awareness of child safety about the ongoing need for a system that notifies the public when a child is abducted on the reservation.

"Tom Begaye pled guilty as part of a plea agreement on Aug. 1 to six charges, including murder, aggravated sexual abuse and kidnapping, stemming from the kidnapping, sexual abuse and murder of Ashlynne."

In October 2017, Begaye was sentenced to
life in prison without the possibility of release.

http://www.daily-times.com/story/news/crime/2017/10/20/begaye-sentenced-ashlynne-mike-killing/782502001/

"Tom Begaye pled guilty as part of a plea agreement on Aug. 1 to six charges, including murder, aggravated sexual abuse and kidnapping, stemming from the kidnapping, sexual abuse and murder of Ashlynne."

In October 2017, Begaye was sentenced to
life in prison without the possibility of release.

http://www.daily-times.com/story/news/crime/2017/10/20/begaye-sentenced-ashlynne-mike-killing/782502001/

From your link,

Begaye admitted to the crimes as part of his plea agreement, according to a copy of the agreement.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back