NM NM - Ingrid Lane, 37, Jemez Springs, 15 Oct 2023

I was suggesting something that's not visible and isn't a mental health issue, e.g. a bleed from the car wreck, dehydration, hypothermia.

I agree that there's only a 0.000000001% likelihood of a crime. A murder initiated in a Zen community would be just so Agatha Christie, and even less likely than a murder at a snowed-in Scottish hunting lodge with tedious aristocrats and a random (was he Belgian? French? I forget.) annoying foreigner, sipping his tisane, with no earthly reason to be included amongst the invited guests, except maybe he had a mustache.

Belgian. ))) With an accent. A foreigner.

I wonder - without mental issues, just physically, elevation is unpleasant. One of the biggest reasons I hate my state is that we are all, essentially, living in the mountains. There are many types of conditions that we may not know we carry that manifest in the mountains - sickle cell anemia, thalassemia, vitamin B12 deficiency, some dietary problems - that could contribute into rapidly deteriorating state on elevation. I wonder if living at higher altitudes might predispose one to emboli - theoretically, it might.

I don't believe that is correct. The green line marks the San Antonio Mountain trail, and I put a red circle around the approximate location where her car was found. It looks to be about a 15 mile or so walk from there to the trailhead.

View attachment 465606

Edit - it is curious that she was on State Road 144 if she wanted to hike San Antonio Mountain. From there you have to do a lot of extra walking to get to the trail. She could have taken VC09 and driven right to the trailhead. Did she take a wrong turn?

How high is it above the sea level?

There are many reasons she could be in the wrong place to get to the trailhead. A Google mis-direction for starters. Very common and dangerous. There are trails all over that mountain, but may have inconspicuous trailheads, so she drove right by, and maybe even thought she was in a different place than she actually was.

The road might roller-coaster (it's forest road), so she might have thought she was walking down when she was going up or vice versa. After all, her car seems to have been twiddled around in orientation, or not. It wouldn't surprise me if she wasn't totally discombobulated. She might have gone down to her car again, if up wasn't working for her.

If she really planned to go up that mountain, she was starting way too late in the day. She might make the peak, but would never make it down. Plus, she'd already expended energy dealing with her car: I mean, if your car is in that condition, you can assume she expended a lot of energy right then. She could even have been there for hours, she could be head-injured and not thinking straight, she could be in a state of bliss from her Zen-time and/or something else.

The trail is 10.3 miles at the fastest. Challenging, and over 4 hours. Steep elevation gain. Likely empty. She was nowhere near that trailhead.

To me, the sweat pants are very troublesome, since they almost always have cotton content. This would make her prone to hypothermia, especially if they'd been all sweaty already, and would be disastrous if they got wet, e.g. in a blanket of fog. We don't know if she was wearing lugged hiking boots, which would be de rigueur on that trail. No "10 Essentials" would be a big red flag, especially in such a remote area and so alone. I'm not sure if she had her pack, water, etc.

Perhaps she already had hypothermia by the time she set out, and already wasn't thinking straight. Heck, maybe she even got hit by the rock in her car.

52 miles of hiking is out of the question. A thru hiker might manage half of that if they were in excellent shape. It's possible maybe in OR and WA on the PCT, but that's after months of hiking, and being motivated to beat winter or catch a plane. Those thru hikers hike far into the night. Besides, in her scenario, you're not making it back to your car before dark. Anything you could do at that point would be extremely risky: you could keep going and almost certainly trip, or you could stop where you are and die of hypothermia. Both could happen. And the temperature would suddenly have dropped as the day got late.

IMO her brains were compromised for whatever reason, and there's no telling where she is.

The closest comparator I have to this case is last year's in the Olympics, Laura Macke, about the same time of year.

the huge difference between the two cases is that lake Quinault elevation is 200 feet above the sea level. I don’t know how high IL was when last seen, but high in the mountains. Physically, a very different situation. I don’t know much about NM in general but Olympic peninsula- JMO - attracts trail predators and may be the lair for at least one of them.

Belgian. ))) With an accent. A foreigner.

I wonder - without mental issues, just physically, elevation is unpleasant. One of the biggest reasons I hate my state is that we are all, essentially, living in the mountains. There are many types of conditions that we may not know we carry that manifest in the mountains - sickle cell anemia, thalassemia, vitamin B12 deficiency, some dietary problems - that could contribute into rapidly deteriorating state on elevation. I wonder if living at higher altitudes might predispose one to emboli - theoretically, it might.
Dehydration might have played a significant role in this case.

the huge difference between the two cases is that lake Quinault elevation is 200 feet above the sea level. I don’t know how high IL was when last seen, but high in the mountains. Physically, a very different situation. I don’t know much about NM in general but Olympic peninsula- JMO - attracts trail predators and may be the lair for at least one of them.
You are correct about the elevation difference. I was commenting on a different point of comparison.

I have a friend who two days ago got locked out of his year-old super expensive VW, so the issue is top of my mind. He had to get it towed. It was a fob thing, though he had the fob with him.
I wonder if the battery in IL’s car was dead for one reason or another?
I wonder how IL’s partner knew that particular rock was from their yard. That seems oddly specific. I don’t think I’d recognize a stone from my yard if it ended up in someone’s vehicle several hours away. Unless there was some specific reason IL would be carrying that rock? Her favorite rock? A buddha statue?
IL could have thought she left her phone at home by mistake, but didn’t want to go back for it. She might have then found it in the car, or concluded there was no service anyway, so no reason to actually use the burner. The burner phone detail doesn’t ding my significance antennae.
Wow! Can confirm that the Subaru fob comes with a manual key, have had to use it when the battery was dead.
If there was other damage to the rear hatch, aside from just the window, it may have kept the automatic gate lift motor running. This motor drains the battery extremely fast.
Ime, being in a situation with a stranded car usually causes a person to walk off to try to find cell service

My interpretation of her husband's comment about the rock was that she wasn't in her right mind, potentially unstable enough to take a rock from home and break her own window with it. He didn't say for certain that it was from their yard

Wow! Can confirm that the Subaru fob comes with a manual key, have had to use it when the battery was dead.
If there was other damage to the rear hatch, aside from just the window, it may have kept the automatic gate lift motor running. This motor drains the battery extremely fast.
Ime, being in a situation with a stranded car usually causes a person to walk off to try to find cell service

My interpretation of her husband's comment about the rock was that she wasn't in her right mind, potentially unstable enough to take a rock from home and break her own window with it. He didn't say for certain that it was from their yard
Oooh...good thought on the rear hatch jamming.

I was thinking something like that, or she left the dome light on and the battery drained, or the beeper on the car got going, and the battery drained. That would have prevented the driver's door from opening with the fob?

I turn off all the interior lights in my car as default, so I can't accidentally leave them on. It worries me that I'll get stranded in the wilderness, or out camping or something.

The other great idea here.....she actually might have come back from her hiking trip, couldn't get into the car, smashed the window, and couldn't get it to start, so she went looking for a cell signal?

Or, how's this to incorporate your idea about the back hatch? The back hatch was messed up, and it was somehow hampering her from driving away. So, she took the rock from the back of her car and tried to use it to get the hatch jammed back in. She missed and hit the window.

I don't have an issue with breaking the back window if you're locked out. The cops could stop you if a different window was broken.

Oooh...good thought on the rear hatch jamming.

I was thinking something like that, or she left the dome light on and the battery drained, or the beeper on the car got going, and the battery drained. That would have prevented the driver's door from opening with the fob?

I turn off all the interior lights in my car as default, so I can't accidentally leave them on. It worries me that I'll get stranded in the wilderness, or out camping or something.

The other great idea here.....she actually might have come back from her hiking trip, couldn't get into the car, smashed the window, and couldn't get it to start, so she went looking for a cell signal?

Or, how's this to incorporate your idea about the back hatch? The back hatch was messed up, and it was somehow hampering her from driving away. So, she took the rock from the back of her car and tried to use it to get the hatch jammed back in. She missed and hit the window.

I don't have an issue with breaking the back window if you're locked out. The cops could stop you if a different window was broken.
In the 2019, which Ingrid has, you can open the door with a tiny manual key that's inside of the fob. This works even when the car battery is dead. I've had to use it on numerous occasions.

But maybe she didn't know this because the manual key is not obvious and could be even considered hidden, similar to the tweezers on a swiss army knife...

You can still drive with the hatch open, the car just beeps repeatedly. In the interview with her family the hatch is closed, when it shows the broken rear window

I have no idea why she would have broke the back window, if she even did it

I really do think she went out looking for a cell signal

December 26, 2023

JEMEZ SPRINGS, N.M. —
Video above:
KOAT spoke with FBI special agent in charge, Raul Bujanda, in regard to the disappearance of Ingrid Lane. While the FBI is currently not investigating the case just yet, Bujanda explains to us why, and how cases like these, could take time. However, all hope isn't lost. We reached out to Lane's family for an update since our last interview with them in November 2023, and they tell KOAT, the search continues. According to the Sandoval County Sheriff's office, Lane was last seen in Jemez Springs in Oct. 2023.

December 26, 2023

JEMEZ SPRINGS, N.M. —
Video above:
KOAT spoke with FBI special agent in charge, Raul Bujanda, in regard to the disappearance of Ingrid Lane. While the FBI is currently not investigating the case just yet, Bujanda explains to us why, and how cases like these, could take time. However, all hope isn't lost. We reached out to Lane's family for an update since our last interview with them in November 2023, and they tell KOAT, the search continues. According to the Sandoval County Sheriff's office, Lane was last seen in Jemez Springs in Oct. 2023.

I think this bit from the article is new information:

New Mexico State Search and Rescue statement, 12/26 (Update)

"While hiking on FR 144 on 11/9, her mother and sister found an item of hers on the road about one mile north of the vehicle location. As a result of that NM SAR ran another operational period on 11/14, focusing on a ground and K9 search of the area around NE of that clue. Unfortunately, no further evidence was discovered, and the SAR incident is again suspended. I did not know that the FBI had become involved." - Peter Dickson, NMSP field coordinator SAR 104

Although we'd previously heard that she was seen north of her car, I don't believe we knew that an item of hers was found. I wonder what it was. Gloves, sunglasses, hats and so forth people drop all the time. But it could be telling if it was something more personal: a phone, wallet, watch, etc.

<snipped for focus>
"While hiking on FR 144 on 11/9, her mother and sister found an item of hers on the road about one mile north of the vehicle location... a ground and K9 search of the area around NE of that clue. Unfortunately, no further evidence was discovered, and the SAR incident is again suspended." - Peter Dickson, NMSP field coordinator SAR 104
Does this perhaps suggest an abduction? Would the K9 team not have been able to track Ingrid's scent if she'd walked further?

Does this perhaps suggest an abduction? Would the K9 team not have been able to track Ingrid's scent if she'd walked further?
Since a K9 did not lead them to the found object, it would not then be able to track her away from it. Just as a K9 did not track her any good distance away from her car. She was walking on that road on Oct 15, wind, rain, snow, and time obliterated her scent trail soon after that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back