NM NM - Patty Pritz, 14, & Mattie Restine, 13, Carlsbad, 11 Aug 1961 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading with interest the postings on this unsolved double homicide on this and other boards. The plight Sunshine 1950 has gone through in seeking justice for her sister, Mattie, and the other victim, Patty, is unbelievable. Her fortitude and determination have added resolve to my own quest for justice.

Sunshine1950, have you spoken with the Eddy County Crime Stoppers program? I have noticed they have several billboards throughout the area. Perhaps they would adopt the many unsolved homicides in their area as a special project. They should have funds available to offer rewards for anonymous information leading to the arrest of the individuals responsible. While each program is a partner with their affiliated law enforcement agency(s), the program is overseen by a local civilian board of directors. You might speak with the chairperson to see what assistance they could offer.

This practice of not returning phone calls by the ECSO or "blackball mentality" that you indicate you are experiencing is unexcusable. My next recommendation would be a petition delivered to the Sheriff seeking investigation into the unsolved homicides in the area. It could contain local and worldwide signatures. Eddy County needs to know that the eyes of the world are on them. They should be held accountable for their actions - or lack thereof.

I believe, and I very well may be wrong, but I believe that unless a crime crosses state borders or occurs on Federal land, the FBI has to be asked into an investigation by local LE. They do not have jurisdiction to just enter the investigation. Does that make sense?

You're not wrong. The FBI has exclusive jurisdiction over federal property (lands and facilities) as it does over cases that involve crossing state lines, and such.

But there are also a few categories of crimes that fall under federal jurisdiction regardless of where they happen, usually referred to as federal offenses. Bank robbery, kidnapping and currency counterfeiting for example, are federal offenses. The first two are FBI jurisdiction while counterfeiting is usually investigated by the Secret Service.

That said, one must keep in mind that a federal offense is not necessarily more serious than a crime that falls under state or local jurisdiction. Most murders, for example, don't fall under federal jurisdiction and are not investigated by the FBI. Bank robbery is a federal offense simply because bank deposits are insured by the federal government and therefore involves theft of federal property by definition.

Kidnapping became a federal offense in the wake of the Lindbergh baby fiasco, which had been mishandled by the various law enforcement agencies that became involved. Following this it was decided that when time is of the essence, a single agency would be more efficient at saving lives as long as it collaborated with local authorities.

Since then the FBI has sometimes become involved in murder investigations because back in the 1930's federal legislators had neglected to clearly define what constitutes a "kidnapping". My understanding is that the original definition was that a kidnapping occurs when someone is removed from a location and held against their will in order to extort a benefit from third parties, such as a ransom. But sometimes the FBI applies the definition of kidnapping to any occurrence of someone being forcibly removed from a location against their will, with criminal intent, regardless of the reason. Because of this the media sometimes depicts the FBI as butting in where they don't belong, bullying local cops and taking credit for solving crimes thanks to work actually done by locals. I don't think this depiction reflects reality, my impression is that the FBI doesn't routinely intervene in local murder investigations unless asked to by local or state law enforcement, or unless obvious police misconduct/conflict of interest is suspected by the DA or State Attorney. Like Sunshine 1950 mentions if a crime is outside federal jurisdiction the FBI cannot intervene unless invited to.

So TOm your saying that the current sheriff of Eddy County has to invite the FBI to help work this case, even though they were involved in the original investigation? That will never happen....believe me...I can't even get them to return my calls. So I doubt they will ask anyone for help on this.

You could try going to the State Attorney, but that would likely require you hire a lawyer :(

I have thought about hiring a lawyer...to bring a civil suit against Eddy County....Sheriff Waller...but I'm not through trying to get some help elsewhere. I know the FBI isn't going to help...they wouldn't even if they could...thanks to the sheriff.

Several years back I sent a packet of information to the A&E's Cold Case Files, along with one to the Most Wanted, and the Nancy Drew show...but none of these shows contacted me back....so I don't know if they would be interested in this case... maybe I need to try again.

I just deleted my post because it doesn't look like Cold Case files is even doing new episodes. This is an interesting case, have you considered hiring a Private Investigator??? I pray someday you find out what happen to your sister, it has got to be agonizing, not knowing.

Yes, I have contacted a few...but they want $15,000 up front...that is way more than I have. Thanks for the posts. I have been working on this for my entire life. In 2002 I asked my father, Pete Restine, if he wouldn't mind if I contacted the Eddy County Sheriff's Department about what was going on with the case...and he told me then that they wouldn't help me...but to go ahead and do what I wanted...so I did...and that was when I found out that an investigator had been reading the old case files...but wasn't officially on the case. Investigator Jim Estrada was that investigator....in 2003 the Eddy County Sheriff's Dept. re-opened the case...but in 2004 Estrada retired and the sheriff decided the case needed to be reshelved as well...so that is where I'm at again...I know they know who killed the girls...but they aren't going to make it public...nor are they going to help me find out on my own. Everytime a reporter calls them they are told they can't tell them anything....that has happened so many times...that was when I wrote the FBI...and then they told me they couldn't help me. I have had the door slammed in my face so many times...and each time it makes me more deteremined to stay on it...I will not stop till JUSTICE has been served in the death of Mattie Restine and Patty Pritz. I may die trying to get that done...but I will not stop.
New website for the girls....www.maddieandpatty.com

Anne – I have read thru the first hundred posts or so of the discussion on your sister’s case via your link to Topix, starting with posts in April 2008. For those of us trying to get up to speed to help on the case and to know what you have done so far I would suggest that you post here the article written Sept 18, 2003, or perhaps host the original articles on your website along with all other print articles that you may have. It is important to know exactly what has been publicly said at different times during the original investigation and any recaps through the years since. There are often variations from articles published through time which may be from bad reporting, but also because facts tend to slip out.

June 12, 2008

I think you can get the newspaper story that was published in 2003 & 2004...Jim Estrada was doing the investigation then...and Dawn Bowen ( Current-Argus Newspaper) wrote several articles about the case and the investigation in 2003.

If these articles are on line perhaps you could provide a link?

I have some questions about some of your statements but I’ll just keep this short for now

May 3, 2008
ANd I believe that the person that killed Mattie & Patty....mother needs to answer for what she has kept silent for all these years. She could have saved my parents and my family alot grief over the years if she had come forward and told what happen and why it happen...now she is around 82-83 yrs old and will never come forward...

June 2, 2008
They deserve JUSTICE just like anyone else that has been killed by some sick SOB....and I do mean SOB...she still lives in Carlsbad and is still alive.

I assume you are referencing the same individual in both posts; the mother of one of the leading suspects?

May 6, 2008
I believe Mattie was at the wrong place, at the wrong time...but I still believe her case needs to be worked on.
By this do you mean that it was truly just a random crime of opportunity, or do you mean that Patty might have been the intended victim and Mattie was present so she became a victim too?

Anne -- Continuing to read I found the answer (your opinion) to my last question above.

July 20, 2008

Yes, that is what the sheriff's dept. said...Mattie was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Mattie had just been friends with Patty for about three weeks when they were killed. I think the person(s) that killed them was after Patty and she did have a crazy person kill her...almost like a hate crime if you will...like you are going to pay for something she did to him. What I don't know...but I do believe he was getting even with her for something she did...maybe. Mattie had to be killed because she knew who the person(s) was. Patty supposedly had many boyfriends...that was learned after she was killed.

April 26, 2009

This lady is 74 yrs. old and her mother is 94...they want to get things done now...like swab the mouth and compare the DNA...
This will require Nuclear DNA tests from samples from the daughter and granddaughter to link back to the DNA of the father/grandfather so that it could then be compared to the DNA samples taken from Mattie. I think that may be a bit more difficult than a Mitochondrial DNA test. Since we all get Mitochondrial DNA passed down from our mothers and there are no samples from Nichols (deceased) or his mother (deceased) the use of Mitochondrial DNA is not possible. If I am wrong, someone please correct me on that.

How old would Nichols have been in Aug 1961? He would have been in his mid-60's, would he not?

Any further developments on Earl Nichols?

Anne – I have read thru the first hundred posts or so of the discussion on your sister’s case via your link to Topix, starting with posts in April 2008. For those of us trying to get up to speed to help on the case and to know what you have done so far I would suggest that you post here the article written Sept 18, 2003, or perhaps host the original articles on your website along with all other print articles that you may have. It is important to know exactly what has been publicly said at different times during the original investigation and any recaps through the years since. There are often variations from articles published through time which may be from bad reporting, but also because facts tend to slip out. I don't think the original articles or the investigation reports are on line anywhere...just what I have posted. I will try and post more.

If these articles are on line perhaps you could provide a link? There is no link available...the Current-Argus doesn't put there old articles on line...I had to request these by a friend and she sent them to me. I have copies only. The old newspaper articles have been destroyed...that is what I was told anyway...one of the past editors decided it was time to clean house.

I have some questions about some of your statements but I’ll just keep this short for now

I assume you are referencing the same individual in both posts; the mother of one of the leading suspects? Yes, I am refering to the mother of the number one suspect.

By this do you mean that it was truly just a random crime of opportunity, or do you mean that Patty might have been the intended victim and Mattie was present so she became a victim too?
Patty was friends with many young men....and it is stated in her diary...David called...and also other statements were made by David's exwife...that indicates it was David Blair.

Anne – I have read thru the first hundred posts or so of the discussion on your sister’s case via your link to Topix, starting with posts in April 2008. For those of us trying to get up to speed to help on the case and to know what you have done so far I would suggest that you post here the article written Sept 18, 2003, or perhaps host the original articles on your website along with all other print articles that you may have. It is important to know exactly what has been publicly said at different times during the original investigation and any recaps through the years since. There are often variations from articles published through time which may be from bad reporting, but also because facts tend to slip out.

If these articles are on line perhaps you could provide a link?

I assume you are referencing the same individual in both posts; the mother of one of the leading suspects?

This will require Nuclear DNA tests from samples from the daughter and granddaughter to link back to the DNA of the father/grandfather so that it could then be compared to the DNA samples taken from Mattie. I think that may be a bit more difficult than a Mitochondrial DNA test. Since we all get Mitochondrial DNA passed down from our mothers and there are no samples from Nichols (deceased) or his mother (deceased) the use of Mitochondrial DNA is not possible. If I am wrong, someone please correct me on that. I know they have DNA results from Mattie's body and clothes...but I don't know what kind of tests were run...I do know (according to the lab person I talked with) the lab would have to have Matties evidence stuff for them to do another tests. ANd to be honest with you or anyone else...the Eddy County Sheriffs Department isn't going to give those tests to anyone that hasn't authority to get them...and who would that be?

How old would Nichols have been in Aug 1961? He would have been in his mid-60's, would he not? Earl Nichols would have been 73 yrs. old at the time the girls were killed. I questioned his grand-daughter about him being so old and she said he was a very strong individual and he was capable of physically hurting someone. He worked in construction and he was very muscled up.

NO, his grand-daughter has been trying to get Investigator Richard Sillas to return a call...it's been over two weeks now...they are doing her the same way they do me...ignore you....

This will require Nuclear DNA tests from samples from the daughter and granddaughter to link back to the DNA of the father/grandfather so that it could then be compared to the DNA samples taken from Mattie. I think that may be a bit more difficult than a Mitochondrial DNA test. Since we all get Mitochondrial DNA passed down from our mothers and there are no samples from Nichols (deceased) or his mother (deceased) the use of Mitochondrial DNA is not possible. If I am wrong, someone please correct me on that. When you talk about Nuclear DNA...what does that require...blood...? What would these ladies have to do in order to get the correct test run? We are willing to pay for the tests if the cost isn't outrageous. Then again...what or how would we get the results from Matties DNA to compare the two test results? Any ideas?

How old would Nichols have been in Aug 1961? He would have been in his mid-60's, would he not? 73 yrs. old.

NO. He was at the beach the day the girls were there. His aunt and mother lived in Carlsbad when the girls were killed and he was there visiting them. He owed a 53 chevrolet. His family still have the papers on the car. He was from Big Spring, Texas, which isn't that far from Carlsbad. He died about 4 yrs. after the girls were killed of a massive heart attack...fell over dead in the yard.

Patty was friends with many young men....and it is stated in her diary...David called...and also other statements were made by David's exwife...that indicates it was David Blair.

So you are talking about the wife of Willie Dee Blair and mother of David Blair. How old was David Blair in 1961? Was he already married or did he marry/divorce sometime after 1961? Would Patty have been the type to date a boy/man that much older than she, or a married man?

I remember from one of your comments that David Blair is already deceased?

May 1, 2008
I was hoping some of the families of these unsolved cold cases in Eddy County and the surrounding area would post their personal feelings regarding how they feel about their loved ones not being investigated to the fullest possible level.
Do you have any idea how Patty's family feels about the case?

NO. He was at the beach the day the girls were there. His aunt and mother lived in Carlsbad when the girls were killed and he was there visiting them. He owed a 53 chevrolet. His family still have the papers on the car. He was from Big Spring, Texas, which isn't that far from Carlsbad. He died about 4 yrs. after the girls were killed of a massive heart attack...fell over dead in the yard.

I was only asking about his age because the severity of the attack on Patty indicates the possibility of a crime of passion and the perp being someone that she knew. Nichols would not fit that scenario.

If Nichols was 73 yrs old his mother would have to have been in her 90's at that time. There would have been 4 generations alive in 1961. Not impossible but certainly unusual.

How does a 1953 Chevrolet figure into the crime scene?

NO, his grand-daughter has been trying to get Investigator Richard Sillas to return a call...it's been over two weeks now...they are doing her the same way they do me...ignore you....[/

A swab from inside their cheek would be the only thing required. But Mitochondrial DNA from a common female (Nichols mother) is not available for comparrison. We get half of our DNA from our mother and half from our father. So to replicate DNA to match her father's, it would be necessary for Nichols daughter's DNA to be separated from her mother's Mitochondrial DNA (Mrs. Nichols DNA) and what would be left would be the DNA she got from her father. That could then be compared to the DNA profile worked up from the samples taken from Mattie.

Nuclear DNA tests are much more complicated and cost more to run, than Mitochondrial DNA tests.

So you are talking about the wife of Willie Dee Blair and mother of David Blair. How old was David Blair in 1961? Was he already married or did he marry/divorce sometime after 1961? Would Patty have been the type to date a boy/man that much older than she, or a married man?

David was married...and his wife was around 8 months pregnant when the girls were killed. He was a sophmore in highschool in 1958...so figure it up.
Patty was known to have dated older men. Several of her girlfriends stated she dated older men. Two of them were in the service. David divorced several years after he left Carlsbad.

I remember from one of your comments that David Blair is already deceased?

Yes, he died in the later years of the 90's...don't have it in front of me right now...but it can be found in the social security records. Thats were I found it.

A swab from inside their cheek would be the only thing required. But Mitochondrial DNA from a common female (Nichols mother) is not available for comparrison. We get half of our DNA from our mother and half from our father. So to replicate DNA to match her father's, it would be necessary for Nichols daughter's DNA to be separated from her mother's Mitochondrial DNA (Mrs. Nichols DNA) and what would be left would be the DNA she got from her father. That could then be compared to the DNA profile worked up from the samples taken from Mattie.

Nuclear DNA tests are much more complicated and cost more to run, than Mitochondrial DNA tests.

Thanks for the information....I will let the Nichols family know what they need. Then we will figure out how to get the test done.

Do you have any idea how Patty's family feels about the case?

Patty's stepfather doesn't want the case messed with...that is what he told the reporter in 2003. He wouldn't talk with her much... last time I heard anything about him...he still lived in Carlsbad.
I have talked with one of her step-sisters...at first she was very interested in the case...but since has decided she doesn't want to be involved...so...I have honored her wishes.
As far as I know now of the Pritz family is interested in getting this case solved...
It appears that I am the only one (family member) that really gives a crap if it's even worked on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500