NM NM - Patty Pritz, 14, & Mattie Restine, 13, Carlsbad, 11 Aug 1961 - #2

Bumping for two young girls, who simply wanted to enjoy a swim on a summer's day -August 11 1961 - Patty Pritz and Mattie Restine -

Next month this case will be UNSOLVED for 50 years. Maybe one of the oldest unsolved cases in the state of New Mexico. Two young girls were out enjoying life and doing what most teenagers did in Carlsbad. Spending the day at the municipal park and beach area. We always spent time there as children and never worried about someone hurting us. Our families would take a picnic lunch and swim most of the day. In the evenings we would ride the rides in the park. Always a place to have fun. Never a place we feared. But on August 11, 1961, that all changed. Mattie and Patty disappeared on that evening and never came home again. Their bodies were found on Aug. 13, 1961, by two rabbit hunters.
I believe the law enforcement agencies in Carlsbad know who killed Mattie and Patty. But they haven't done anything with it...why I don't know. I pray each day that they will eventually do the right thing by Mattie and Patty. They were not out selling drugs or prostituing themselves...they were just two little girls out having fun...
Justice needs to been served for Mattie and Patty.
Our families need answers....PLEASE if anyone has any information about this unsolved case....PLEASE call one of the law enforcement agencies in the Eddy County area, or call the Eddy County Crimestoppers. Mattie and Patty deserve to have their killers known. And JUSTICE needs to be served.

Next month this case will be UNSOLVED for 50 years. Maybe one of the oldest unsolved cases in the state of New Mexico. Two young girls were out enjoying life and doing what most teenagers did in Carlsbad. Spending the day at the municipal park and beach area. We always spent time there as children and never worried about someone hurting us. Our families would take a picnic lunch and swim most of the day. In the evenings we would ride the rides in the park. Always a place to have fun. Never a place we feared. But on August 11, 1961, that all changed. Mattie and Patty disappeared on that evening and never came home again. Their bodies were found on Aug. 13, 1961, by two rabbit hunters.
I believe the law enforcement agencies in Carlsbad know who killed Mattie and Patty. But they haven't done anything with it...why I don't know. I pray each day that they will eventually do the right thing by Mattie and Patty. They were not out selling drugs or prostituing themselves...they were just two little girls out having fun...
Justice needs to been served for Mattie and Patty.
Our families need answers....PLEASE if anyone has any information about this unsolved case....PLEASE call one of the law enforcement agencies in the Eddy County area, or call the Eddy County Crimestoppers. Mattie and Patty deserve to have their killers known. And JUSTICE needs to be served.

Bumping for Mattie and Patty's Unsolved Murders. Please read Part I and Part II...
THis case can be solved...and JUSTICE served.

I am amazed that this solvable case has been unsolved for nearly 50 years - and that Sunshine 1950, has had to bear both the terrible loss of her sister and the burden of demanding justice for all these years.
A fifty year mystery should grab the attention of somebody somewhere - and be put front and center of a newspaper, magazine, movie or television special! This can be solved,maybe this fiftieth year is the one that will deliver peace for all involved!!!

I am amazed that this solvable case has been unsolved for nearly 50 years - and that Sunshine 1950, has had to bear both the terrible loss of her sister and the burden of demanding justice for all these years.
A fifty year mystery should grab the attention of somebody somewhere - and be put front and center of a newspaper, magazine, movie or television special! This can be solved,maybe this fiftieth year is the one that will deliver peace for all involved!!!

Thank you dotr...yes you would think that this case would be news worthy! But when you have the law enforcement agencies refusing to talk with people that do those kinds of show, etc...then you end up with no one being able to do a show or whatever is available to get this story out. I contacted the guy here on websleuths.com ...he emailed me back a couple of times then just stopped...so again....I can't make anyone do anything to help solve this case. Two little girls murdered by someone that has power in the Carlsbad area....and it's going to stay unsolved due to the fact they don't want certain names known....it's called save face....but they will be known someday...hopefully soon.
There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of my sister. She was a sweet little girl that would have had a wonderful future in front of her ....but some sick *advertiser censored* decided to kill her ....why? People please don't stop working on this case...it can be solved.

Just spotted this news and thought it similar to this case...may even be of some help in getting the word out..
Over the years, evidence decays or passes through so many hands it's rendered useless. Murder weapons disappear, and witnesses' memories dim or are carried to the grave.

Those are the kinds of obstacles that have stymied prosecutors trying to crack decades-old cold cases in recent years _ and that now await authorities trying to build a case against a former Washington state police officer in the 1957 slaying of a 7-year-old girl in this northern Illinois farming community.

Can the little girl's friend, now in her 60s, remember with certainty what the suspect looked like? Will an unused train ticket, discovered half a century later, undermine Jack Daniel McCullough's alibi that he was in Chicago having a military medical exam the day that Maria Ridulph disappeared?

Read more: http://www.nctimes.com/news/national/article_9c85ab5f-9a72-545e-86fb-ae8c72be9c17.html#ixzz1S6K7kENB

In rare cases, though, the passage of time also can help prosecutors.

In the 1955 case of the three Chicago boys, witnesses refused to tell authorities for decades how Hansen told them he'd raped young boys and warned them if they said anything they would "end up" like the three boys whose naked bodies were found in a forest preserve ditch.

"After time and distance, they came forward because they knew he could not hurt them anymore," Coleman said.

Read more: http://www.nctimes.com/news/national/article_9c85ab5f-9a72-545e-86fb-ae8c72be9c17.html#ixzz1S6Q5flLo

Sorry, I kept messing up the post- trying to split it in two separate postings for the sake of keeping to 10% material to each post.
I am hoping that someone will step forward in the same way in the case of Mattie and Patty!!

Just spotted this news and thought it similar to this case...may even be of some help in getting the word out..
Over the years, evidence decays or passes through so many hands it's rendered useless. Murder weapons disappear, and witnesses' memories dim or are carried to the grave.

Those are the kinds of obstacles that have stymied prosecutors trying to crack decades-old cold cases in recent years _ and that now await authorities trying to build a case against a former Washington state police officer in the 1957 slaying of a 7-year-old girl in this northern Illinois farming community.

Can the little girl's friend, now in her 60s, remember with certainty what the suspect looked like? Will an unused train ticket, discovered half a century later, undermine Jack Daniel McCullough's alibi that he was in Chicago having a military medical exam the day that Maria Ridulph disappeared?

Read more: http://www.nctimes.com/news/national/article_9c85ab5f-9a72-545e-86fb-ae8c72be9c17.html#ixzz1S6K7kENB

In rare cases, though, the passage of time also can help prosecutors.

In the 1955 case of the three Chicago boys, witnesses refused to tell authorities for decades how Hansen told them he'd raped young boys and warned them if they said anything they would "end up" like the three boys whose naked bodies were found in a forest preserve ditch.

"After time and distance, they came forward because they knew he could not hurt them anymore," Coleman said.

Read more: http://www.nctimes.com/news/national/article_9c85ab5f-9a72-545e-86fb-ae8c72be9c17.html#ixzz1S6Q5flLo

Two very interesting cases. Sad ones as well. I do believe people take what they know to their graves. And yes some of these same individuals are afraid of coming forward until much later in life...if ever.
I believe there are individuals who know what happened to Mattie and Patty and are in the same situation as the young boys ....and the sad part of that is it would have probably been okay for them to come forward many, many years before. But when your that young you usually believe what the older indivdials tell you.
I still believe that Mattie and Patty's case can be solved and hope the great individuals that read and work on these cases will continue to work on Mattie's and Patty's case. I just can't give up hope that someday this case will be solved.
Thanks for the moral support....I appreciate all that you have done.

I don't mean to interrupt, I don't know much about this case. I've read from the beginning of this thread, though, and something about it just kind of bothers me. I haven't read part 1 yet.
That said, I have what is probably useless information, but I thought I would bring it up just in case it helps. This case reminds me of one I had read about a long time ago. Two men picked up some teenage girls around a beach area. They took them to a remote/ranch type area, where IIRC they assaulted and then shot them. Also IIRC, there was a dispute between them about the location they had dumped the bodies because one of them felt it was too near an area they spent time at? A cabin they used, maybe? I can't remember any of the specifics, does it sound familiar to anyone else?
Like I said, it's probably useless, but the similarities struck me. 50 years is a long time. My thoughts go out to you, Sunshine. My family has a connection to a cold case and I don't even have enough information to post it here at WS. I hope this case gets solved and put to rest for you.

August 11 is approaching and will mark 50 years since the brutal murders of Patty Pritz and Mattie Restine -please if anyone can help with info of any kind, it will be welcomed !

I don't mean to interrupt, I don't know much about this case. I've read from the beginning of this thread, though, and something about it just kind of bothers me. I haven't read part 1 yet.
That said, I have what is probably useless information, but I thought I would bring it up just in case it helps. This case reminds me of one I had read about a long time ago. Two men picked up some teenage girls around a beach area. They took them to a remote/ranch type area, where IIRC they assaulted and then shot them. Also IIRC, there was a dispute between them about the location they had dumped the bodies because one of them felt it was too near an area they spent time at? A cabin they used, maybe? I can't remember any of the specifics, does it sound familiar to anyone else?
Like I said, it's probably useless, but the similarities struck me. 50 years is a long time. My thoughts go out to you, Sunshine. My family has a connection to a cold case and I don't even have enough information to post it here at WS. I hope this case gets solved and put to rest for you.

Koby you really need to read Part One of this case...it will help you understand the particulars about this unsolved case. Mattie and Patty were killed in the Carlsbad, New Mexico area. Mattie was my sister. Patty and Mattie were friends and were out for an afternoon outing. But never returned home.
I'm not familiar with the case you are talking about..but it does sound similar to Mattie and Patty's.
Please read Part One....of course a lot of the information has been taken off the websleuths website by the law enforcement agency. But you can learn alot about the case from the first part.
Thank you for the information and support.

This might be the case you are referring to -but after reading about it and learning that parole may be possible soon - I just did not have the stomach to look any more..
I bet everyone would sleep better in Carlsbad, if it was known for certain -that whoever was responsible for the deaths of Mattie and Patty, was either deceased or in prison.

Lawrence Bittaker and Roy Norris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lawrence Bittaker and Roy Norris:
Late October 1979.... " For two months, the duo hunted roads and beaches, looking for victims, which matched their demented fantasy. They almost met their goal, killing five young girls, ages ranging between 13 to 18."

Yes, dotr...just knowing who killed Mattie and Patty would be the most important thing to know....is the killer(s) already deceased? Or is this someone still alive... I'm sure someone knows who killed them. Please if anyone knows the truth...PLEASE come forward and share with our families.

This is a UK article from April 2011 concerning cold cases ....
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...d-case-files-in-fresh-appeal-to-catch-killers
“People out there will still hold information that will be the key to unlocking these murders.

“If you do, have a look at your life and how it has changed. Look at what your values are now. Think about how it would feel if you lost a loved one and someone knew something that could bring you peace of mind.

“If you have information, do the right thing – get in touch with police and we will continue to find justice for these families.”

"Time has stood still for their families. Relatives have faced years of anguish, condemned to a life of what ifs and whys, trapped in a cycle of unending grief.

Does anyone out there have info to help solve the murders of Mattie and Patty??
These families face a daily struggle to move on with their own lives – knowing their cherished ones are still not at peace.

Please help us to get answers for these tortured souls. Their families have waited long enough. They need it now."

This is a UK article from April 2011 concerning cold cases ....
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...d-case-files-in-fresh-appeal-to-catch-killers
“People out there will still hold information that will be the key to unlocking these murders.

“If you do, have a look at your life and how it has changed. Look at what your values are now. Think about how it would feel if you lost a loved one and someone knew something that could bring you peace of mind.

“If you have information, do the right thing – get in touch with police and we will continue to find justice for these families.”

"Time has stood still for their families. Relatives have faced years of anguish, condemned to a life of what ifs and whys, trapped in a cycle of unending grief.

Does anyone out there have info to help solve the murders of Mattie and Patty??
These families face a daily struggle to move on with their own lives – knowing their cherished ones are still not at peace.

Please help us to get answers for these tortured souls. Their families have waited long enough. They need it now."

Thank You dotr...you are correct in your statements about the victims family members not having peace about their loved ones untimely deaths. One of the hardest things to understand about Mattie's death is "WHY" it happened. She was a precious little girl that wouldn't or couldn't hurt anyone. She loved everyone. She didn't have an evil bone or thought in her body. So why was she killed? Why was Patty killed. I didn't know her very well but she didn't deserve to die the why she did either.
I know someone has answers to these questions. I also know that someone knows who killed them....PLEASE come forward and share the information our families really need.
It will soon be 50 years since they were killed. Someone needs to come forward and tell the truth about what happened to them.
Please!

Eventually, advances in DNA analysis (and victims rights) will reveal who was involved with this crime, but why burden a future generation with the guilt and stigma of having kept a hideous secret - when by telling the truth now, everyone has a chance to heal...

Eventually, advances in DNA analysis (and victims rights) will reveal who was involved with this crime, but why burden a future generation with the guilt and stigma of having kept a hideous secret - when by telling the truth now, everyone has a chance to heal...

Yes, they do have the DNA technology available to solve this case...but the law enforcement agencies aren't willing to do more testing. They don't want to spend the money! And that is unacceptable in today's world of DNA. There are many corporations that are willing to help with these costs.

One of the main suspects in the 2003-2004 investigatiion...his family came forward and told the law that they were willing to work with the agency to clear this up...but that agency has ignored their pleas to help out and find out if their Father was the real killer. One of the sons said he was afraid someone would think he was the killer...but he wasn't even born when Mattie and Patty were killed ....so I think he can rest assured that will not happen. Today this same family has tried to talk with the law ....but are told they have only hearsay....

I have felt for these suspects families ....for they are victims as well. When one of your family members has been brutally murdered by someone ...all you can think about is "who" did this to my sister, brother. You go through life thinking...maybe today I'lll get that much needed call...and the law enforcement person will say...we got the person that killed your sister. But that hasn't happen yet. And I pray that someday someone will make that call to my house and tell me.....we got them.

I personally don't feel like the victim's have any rights....just ask anyone that has lost a love one to violent crime....that victim is forgotten....and the families are treated like they are crazy for wanting answers.

This might be the case you are referring to -but after reading about it and learning that parole may be possible soon - I just did not have the stomach to look any more..
I bet everyone would sleep better in Carlsbad, if it was known for certain -that whoever was responsible for the deaths of Mattie and Patty, was either deceased or in prison.

Lawrence Bittaker and Roy Norris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lawrence Bittaker and Roy Norris:
Late October 1979.... " For two months, the duo hunted roads and beaches, looking for victims, which matched their demented fantasy. They almost met their goal, killing five young girls, ages ranging between 13 to 18."

Sorry it's been awhile since I replied, been busy with politics. I've read about Bittaker and Norris before, but I thought there was another case. I'll do some digging as I get the chance. I've still got to finish going through the first thread. It seems weird that the police aren't cooperating with the suspects family if they're willing to get to the truth. I have a friend who's a DA. Next time I get a chance to talk to him, I'll ask him what he thinks about that. It just doesn't seem right.

Sorry it's been awhile since I replied, been busy with politics. I've read about Bittaker and Norris before, but I thought there was another case. I'll do some digging as I get the chance. I've still got to finish going through the first thread. It seems weird that the police aren't cooperating with the suspects family if they're willing to get to the truth. I have a friend who's a DA. Next time I get a chance to talk to him, I'll ask him what he thinks about that. It just doesn't seem right.

You know one of the suspects that came out int he 2003-2004 investigation...this young man and another young man picked up a young girl and took her out on the roads and one of these young men raped this young girl...this girl got pregnant by this guy. This I believe was in 1963. The suspect didn't spend time in jail for rape...just for misconduct of handling a minor. And something about beating his wife. THe guy that did the raping finally wound up in prison for leaving town...he broke his parole. So they put him in prison for that...not the rape. But his friends last name was Norris. I've tried to find things about these two guys during this time of the rape and all...put it's very well hidden. There is so much informaiton that needs to be put out on this forum...but I quess it will never be put on here.
So many people have helped me and I truly appreciate that. Again thanks for all the help and of course keep squeezing those brains for more informaiton.

You know one of the suspects that came out int he 2003-2004 investigation...this young man and another young man picked up a young girl and took her out on the roads and one of these young men raped this young girl...this girl got pregnant by this guy. This I believe was in 1963. The suspect didn't spend time in jail for rape...just for misconduct of handling a minor. And something about beating his wife. THe guy that did the raping finally wound up in prison for leaving town...he broke his parole. So they put him in prison for that...not the rape. But his friends last name was Norris. I've tried to find things about these two guys during this time of the rape and all...put it's very well hidden. There is so much informaiton that needs to be put out on this forum...but I quess it will never be put on here.
So many people have helped me and I truly appreciate that. Again thanks for all the help and of course keep squeezing those brains for more informaiton.

That's interesting that the guy's name was Norris. TruTV says Roy Norris was stationed in San Diego until 1969. I wonder if he had leave or something around that time. I'll talk to my friend and see what he thinks. He's a good guy and has done some pretty high-profile cases here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back