NM NM - Patty Pritz, 14, & Mattie Restine, 13, Carlsbad, 11 Aug 1961 - #2

Well the brother and the other guy did solve that murder case, not that the LE office would honor that since it was one of their own who committed the crime.

Did you get a look at the list of charges that could be brought against that police department? LENGTHY!

Just guessing, but I'll bet that skull belonged to an indigent, and instead of burying the person intact, they kept the skull or else dug it up out of a potter's field connected with the funeral home.

I am sick about Mattie and Patty's case too. There's just something going on with ECSO that is really puzzling in light of that Reed case. Might offer some insight into the behavior of ECSO IMO.

IIRC, in both cases some poor dimwit was brought in as a suspect before being dismissed as preposterous. I know that's true for your case, Sunshine, but can't recall if that was also true in that other case.

It just amazes me that not one detective has ever made it his life's work to find the killer/s of Mattie and Patty. There are fine detectives elsewhere that have done so with other cases. I guess as close as this case has ever come to having someone like that is Titus, and yet, something always bothered me about him holding things back from you. It sure didn't speak to sincerity.

Patty's family should have her exhumed. Call in an outside ME that is working for them, and have another autopsy done. See how much flack they get from ECSO over that. That might prove interesting! And have a judge order ECSO to participate only as onlookers, not allowed to actually touch the remains in any way, same with the funeral home that originally handled the remains.

Thanks Justthinkin for the comments.
Yes, I've looked at the charges that were brought forward on that case. But I don't think for one minute I would have the chance to do that in this case. for one thing...I believe the whole state of New Mexico is corrupt. This is a lawless state. From the Governor down to the jail keeper!
As far as a detective working on this case....that will never happen either...for one thing I believe if one stepped up to the plate to work on it they better do it under cover...or he might just commit suicide...if you know what I mean. Now that is just how I feel....
As far as Patty's family doing anything...I don't see that either. They aren't really interested in getting to the bottom of this mystery. They live their lives and let bygones stay the way they landed. I'm not being critical of this family...they just don't see it the way I do. So I don't bother them about it anymore.
I'm afraid I don't share the same thoughts about CT...the cop who brought the young mentally challenged individual into this case. This was clearly a cover-up in process...This took valuable time away from Mattie and Patty's case. Still to this day ....they continue to cover things up. CT was involved in this murder...maybe not directly...but he helped....by throwing his hat into the arena...and then offer nothing!
It would be really nice if someone with some know how and expertise in investigation to step forward and help solve this case....but I don't see it happening....especially from the Eddy County law enforcement agencies. I'm almost sure the evidence has somehow disappeared in this case...and that will be a huge problem for any future investigation to happen.
The ECSO is above any law that would step up to the plate. Just ask them ...they will tell you that themselves. They sing a good song...but somehow are always off key.

I did not mean that you could file similar charges. Sorry for any confusion there. I also only meant that CT stuck with this case from the time it happened until his passing, meaning that it is too bad someone else didn't do that, someone who might have been sincere in getting to the bottom of it!

Disappearing evidence is a crime in itself! Did we or did we not have at one time a copy of the diary page mentioning DB?

I did not mean that you could file similar charges. Sorry for any confusion there. I also only meant that CT stuck with this case from the time it happened until his passing, meaning that it is too bad someone else didn't do that, someone who might have been sincere in getting to the bottom of it!

Disappearing evidence is a crime in itself! Did we or did we not have at one time a copy of the diary page mentioning DB?

Justthinkin sorry I'm very emotional at this time...and I didn't mean to sound so harsh. Hope I haven't offended any one with my comments...but I do feel very upset right now...mainly due to the fact the ECSO has done nothing but set on their rear ends and done nothing very productive regarding this case in the past six years. They passed the case on to the VICAP Group again...to pretty much to put me off....in other words...so they could say they have sent it back to the FBI group ...know full well they weren't going to do anything with it.
Yes, I have a copy of that page from Patty's diary...where that diary is now is another mystery. I have been told that that diary was there (in the evidence) when the investigator of the 2003-2004 retired. But when I ask questions regarding certain things regarding the said evidence...they ignore me. So I'm afraid the evidence that was there is gone. Just a gut feeling I have...and I know that gut feelings are worth anything!
I have put all of the information I have under lock and key....where only a few members of my family have access to it. Not in my home either. But in a safe deposit box. I was told to do this by someone in law enforcement.
Again thank you Justthinkin....i appreciate all that you have done regarding this investigation.

Very scary to think that you have to lock up evidence ..and not even in your house! Are you able to give a hint here as to what was in the diary?I understand that the system is beyond corrupt in Mexico, could that have any bearing on this case, due to proximity? Hope no one is offended, but gee - reading the news about that country and all the unsolved and perhaps uninvestigated murders of females,makes one wonder if it has a negative effect on areas bordering that country...

OMG, I completely missed those two posts about AB dying. No wonder you are upset, Sunshine. No chance left for her to tell anything.:banghead:

So so sorry, dear Sunshine. I don't know what else to say. I guess this is what made you decide to lock everything up, and put it away if I'm understanding that correctly.

Don't forget that old wisdom - when someone closes the door, someone else is bound to open the window...

Very scary to think that you have to lock up evidence ..and not even in your house! Are you able to give a hint here as to what was in the diary?I understand that the system is beyond corrupt in Mexico, could that have any bearing on this case, due to proximity? Hope no one is offended, but gee - reading the news about that country and all the unsolved and perhaps uninvestigated murders of females,makes one wonder if it has a negative effect on areas bordering that country...

They locked up for safe keeping. Never know whats going to happen...so I do it to be safe...and not sorry later.
As far as Patty's diary goes....she had a page in there that talked about several David's. And of course her other boy friend she had just broke up with Ronnie Rice. But as for the page that is supposedly missing...I don't know what was on it. And now the whole diary is missing from the evidence....so we will probably not get that back. I noticed in the Carlsbad Current-Argus Newspaper that Jimmy R. Funk died yesterday....he was 65 yrs. old....and I believe he is the one that was friends with Patty ....so that makes another one that needed to be talked to dead.
His father was a cop on the Carlsbad City Police at the time the girls died.
I don't think the Mexicans had anything to do with these murders...I truly believe the white boys did this one.

Sorry,I should clarify that what I meant was that, possibly those in a position to get to the bottom of this,being influenced by the general (perceived)corruption of nearby Mexico.
Sounds like there are plenty non Mexicans who could be suspects in this case.It also seems like they really want to close their eyes and make this blackeye of Carlsbad, magically disappear. Well, I guess they underestimated the power and tenacity of a sister's love!

Sorry,I should clarify that what I meant was that, possibly those in a position to get to the bottom of this,being influenced by the general (perceived)corruption of nearby Mexico.
Sounds like there are plenty non Mexicans who could be suspects in this case.It also seems like they really want to close their eyes and make this blackeye of Carlsbad, magically disappear. Well, I guess they underestimated the power and tenacity of a sister's love!

dotr
Yes, there are plenty of the good old white boys to question...but that isn't going to happen. I think the biggest problem is the people with the power are afraid they are so involved in the biggest mess up of a case in New Mexico's history. But you would think they would want to look good in the eyes of the citizens of New Mexico and our families...can you imagine how this would look if they actually solved this case?! It would be amazing...and it sure couldn't hurt someones career going a long was in promotions either. But again...they don't seem to care. Although the captain of the detectives did email me the other day...didn't really answer any questions I've asked...but he did say he would call me if he heard anything....I'd be the first to know....like I believe that! This was the first email in 6-7 months...so I don't believe it.
I guess I shouldn't harp on this...but I'm just a little disappointed in the whole mess....
Yes, I do love my sister...she was also my best friend and I really miss her. I will continue to seek justice for her murder.
Thanks for the comments....I appreciate your statements and encouragement.

Keep going, an email (even an empty one) is something tangible.Not today, not yesterday, but maybe tomorrow ..something has got to give!
I wonder if writing to the CB newspapers again would help?

Keep going, an email (even an empty one) is something tangible.Not today, not yesterday, but maybe tomorrow ..something has got to give!
I wonder if writing to the CB newspapers again would help?

Yes, I should be thankful he emailed me. But he shouldn't take so long.
I don't know if writing the newspaper would do any good. But when I really decide some things need to be shared again...I will write them a letter...not post on Topix. That way I know they have actually read it.
Thanks....

Hope it is okay to copy and paste this earlier post, you must get fed up going over the same things, same questions..so many twists and turns and possibilities..

Mattie Catherine Restine and Patty Sue Pritz Murder Case

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank You Tom for posting my sisters (Mattie Restine) unsolved murder case here on the Sleuth... I appreciate it very much.

Yes, It's been 48 yrs since Mattie and Patty were murdered in the Eddy County area...Carlsbad, NEw Mexico. To this day their killers have been unknown. But several suspects have come to light since 2003. But like Tom said...the Eddy County Sheriff's Dept, The FBI, and the New Mexico State Attorneys office have ignored requests by the families to continue the investigation. DNA was found on Mattie Restine and it was sent in for results...but the ECSO still sits and does nothing. The families of these suspects have all said they would help try and solve this by giving their DNA sample to compare. But this hasn't been done yet. Why?? Good question.

Mattie and Patty were two beautiful young girls that should have come home that evening...but they didn't. It's up to the families to carry on this quest for Justice. Mattie and Patty deserve to have their day in court...they deserve to have the ones that killed them known.

Mattie had just turned 13 yrs. old on August 9, and this was her first outing as a teenager. Our parent's ususally didn't allow any of us out without an adult present. I remember the day she left and didn't come home. Our world changed that night and has never been the same. Our mother...Jackie Restine died at the age of 55 yrs. of a heart attack...my oldest brother Bill had problems with Mattie being murder his whole life...he committed suicide in 1999, at the age of 56. He would talk about the times he couldn't do anything to bring her back...see he introduced Mattie to Patty. They had only been friends for about three weeks when they were killed.
Our family didn't know Patty Pritz had been dating for several yrs. when Mattie became friends with her. That day...when the girls went to the Beach area they were suppose to been going with Patty's older sister...but that didn't happen...they went alone...and didn't return home alive.

Something stuck out for me and that was a statement from the coroner who said they body was too advanced in decomp. to tell if she had been raped. According to the story the girls bodies were found within 36 hours of the disappearance. Was this the best they could do in 1961 or is that another one of the obvious hurdles the family has to fight with the investigators to get this case solved. 36 hours doesn't seem that long even in the hot weather of Carlsbad. Hot weather that is desert like, low humidity what I think of when thinking of Carlsbad NM.

Something stuck out for me and that was a statement from the coroner who said they body was too advanced in decomp. to tell if she had been raped. According to the story the girls bodies were found within 36 hours of the disappearance. Was this the best they could do in 1961 or is that another one of the obvious hurdles the family has to fight with the investigators to get this case solved. 36 hours doesn't seem that long even in the hot weather of Carlsbad. Hot weather that is desert like, low humidity what I think of when thinking of Carlsbad NM.

CathyR
I don't understand that part of the coroner's statements as well. They did do slides and everything. But they haven't been mentioned by the ECSO during this investigation. I'm wondering if they have lost them as well. They had fingernail scrabbings from both girls as well. I don't know why they would take slides and fingernail scrabbings if they couldn't do some type of tests on them in 1961, or even now if they have them in the evidence. But I'm not a forensic scientist either. So I can't answer the question.
Yes, it was hot on August 11, 1961...I remember it well. There was a light rain shower late that night. I know because my mother stayed up all night pacing back and forth from the sidewalk to the house...watching for Mattie to come home.

That last sentence you wrote broke my heart. A Mother pacing the sidewalk, waiting for a little girl to come home and now... a sister, still waiting and hoping for someone with a heart or a conscience, to step forward and give some long-awaited answers!

That last sentence you wrote broke my heart. A Mother pacing the sidewalk, waiting for a little girl to come home and now... a sister, still waiting and hoping for someone with a heart or a conscience, to step forward and give some long-awaited answers!

Dotr...I wasn't writing this to sound sad...it is what happened...and yes, my mother did wait her entire life for Mattie to come home...she died at the early age of 55...mainly of a broken heart. But I do know that my mother and father, and my brother, Bill are in heaven with Mattie right now. And some day I will be as well.
Wouldn't it be great if someone stepped forward with the answers to this horrible crime? I know God has his hand in this case...and someday I will know the answers!!

I know that you were not trying to be dramatic or sad, when describing your Mom pacing the sidewalk waiting for Mattie to come home.
Waiting anxiously for one's child to return home, especially after a first foray with new independence, and with a new friend, is universal.It really hits a nerve, that many of us can relate to - and that seemingly simple image, is haunting and well yes, terribly sad, although you were just making a statement of fact.
I want to shout from the rooftops, come on people, if any of you happen to read this and can help with info step right up,right now and do the right thing!

Bumping for Mattie Catherine Restine and Patty Sue Pritz...double homicide, August 11, 1961, Carlsbad, New Mexico.
Please if anyone has information about this case...please notify the Eddy County Sheriff's Department, in Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220

Sunshine, my husband is a friend of the new mayor of Carlsbad, Dale Janway, and one of the things Dale hopes to do during his administration is to put together a team of retired law enforcement people to work on cold cases. He is hoping to get Jim Estrada involved in this endeavor. The case of Mattie and Patty is one he has said he would love to see solved. I know he has a lot on his plate right now but when I hear anything more about this, I will post it on here.

I hope when your husband ( and the Mayor) get a chance, they will look at this case with a combination of fresh eyes and retired LE !

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back