No Candy...Chubby Letters, Instead !??!?

This is bullying, plain and simple. And not even child against child. :rolleyes:

Maybe a kind neighbor will drop off, say an hour before Trick or Treating begins, a huge bag or two of the prepackaged for Halloween Trick or Treaters crayons, stickers, small plastic toys.

Those are made and sold right by the candy.

Maybe a kind neighbor will drop off, say an hour before Trick or Treating begins, a huge bag or two of the prepackaged for Halloween Trick or Treaters crayons, stickers, small plastic toys.

Those are made and sold right by the candy.

Hopefully, now that the word is out about what's in store for trick-or-treaters who visit this woman's home, no one will show up, and her plan will fail miserably. :angel:

I disagree. It's a very telling phrase.

The phrase "It takes a village to raise a child" is so old it has whiskers. My goodness, my mom used to tell me this in Dutch many years ago when I was a child. Some people believe that it's origin is from Africa, since variations on the phrase is common in many African languages.

Are you suggesting that the woman is African? That would be a huge presumption about an irrelevant detail.

The phrase "It takes a village to raise a child" is so old it has whiskers. My goodness, my mom used to tell me this in Dutch many years ago when I was a child. Some people believe that it's origin is from Africa, since variations on the phrase is common in many African languages.

Are you suggesting that the woman is African? That would be a huge presumption about an irrelevant detail.

(b/u by me)
I've never heard that before...but it's going to become one of my favorites!

I disagree. It's a very telling phrase.

I hear this phrase amongst lots of people of all political flavors. From communitarian-minded progressives, to conservatives (and liberals!) who long for a time when all the neighborhood parents looked out for all the neighborhood kids, not just their own.

FWIW, among all the progressives I know, including myself, shame-based "education" of this sort has long been a no-no, on any topic. It's been proven to be ineffectual against obesity, and in general it's a long discarded tactic in other areas as well. I can't think of any progressive who would use such a tactic to "teach a lesson" about any subject at all. I have no doubt plenty? most? conservatives feel the same way about using "shame" as tool also.

This woman needs a whole team of mental health professionals. She wants to make a name for herself.

I would just boycott the house.

It does not take a village. It takes parents that are equal to the task. It is not easy. It is a tough job but it is the responsibility of parents not the village.

Well, I don't know about y'all - but I wanna see just what SHE looks like...and HER clean bill of health...OH, and a look in HER pantry and fridge...

Well, I don't know about y'all - but I wanna see just what SHE looks like...and HER clean bill of health...OH, and a look in HER pantry and fridge...

GMTA and all that! I was just about to say the same thing!

Oh, and does SHE have kids? If so, what do THEY look like? How much do THEY weigh? Do THEY eat candy/sugar AT ALL??? Is she married? What does HE eat/look like/clean bill of health????

I mean, if SHE is going to judge CHILDREN and their parents, we have a right to judge HER and HER FAMILY.

A village and all that, ya know...

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/na...s-she-deems-obese-calls-parents-irresponsible

NORTH DAKOTA - Kids ringing this woman’s door on Halloween are more likely to feel tricked than treated.

That’s because the North Dakota woman plans to give out letters to children she considers “moderately obese” instead of candy.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/na...ese-calls-parents-irresponsible#ixzz2jDFhD6Ti

Wow.
I'm trying to get inside this lady's mind...why give a letter to a child? Do you really think they're going to read it? What if they're too young to read? Now they're doubly confused.

You know....if she REALLY wanted to make a difference there are several options:
a)give out a healthy snack (pretzels, fruit, etc.)
b)give out a non-edible treat (play-doh?)
c)turn your light out, and don't participate

What a nasty woman.

Are you Kidding me? IMO this lady is nothing more then a bully! She should just not answer her door when kids come trick or treating. If I was a child and received a letter while with a group of friends I would be mortified. If I was a parent and this lady gave my child a letter I would be furious and give her a piece of my mind. Who does she think she is?

The more I think about the more I wonder. Maybe she wants the candy all to herself. She'll just keep it and count out how many pieces she did not have to give away, then eat it all while watching t.v.

Maybe she does not know it gets marked down the next morning by 50%. Some places it will mark it down further after noon or one-ish by 75%. :floorlaugh:

I hope no one goes to her door. If any do, I hope she does not complain about their costume too. This is just flat out mean. Guess she never got to Trick or Treat when she was small.

What about all the kids that are not obese because they eat junk but take meds that make them gain weight.. What about the kids that are fighting genetics..

It is just cruel and bad form lady.. Bad form..

She had the nerve to write in the letter something along the lines that the "obese" kids should not be allowed out trick or treating. Way to suck all the fun out of the occasion for the children. Who made her the expert on what size a child should be? I really do hope someone eggs her house. It would serve her right for being that discriminatory.

She had the nerve to write in the letter something along the lines that the "obese" kids should not be allowed out trick or treating. Way to suck all the fun out of the occasion for the children. Who made her the expert on what size a child should be? I really do hope someone eggs her house. It would serve her right for being that discriminatory.

I hope no one does a thing. I hope that she gets nothing but silence out of this. The more people acknowledge this, the more she wins.

I hope no one does a thing. I hope that she gets nothing but silence out of this. The more people acknowledge this, the more she wins.

That would be the better choice for sure, but unless she publicized her address, she will get the unsuspecting neighborhood kids.

This is exactly the sort of situation that brings together the satisfying combination of Halloween and rotten eggs. Does this woman not understand the meaning of "Trick or Treat"?

At times while DD was growing up, she used to like Halloween better than any other holiday. My siblings and I loved it, too. Shame on this woman for (trying) to put a damper on this fun - maybe even favorite - holiday for children... and grownups :D Our dogs loved it, too!

Methinks the lady is a :party: p**per.

That would be the better choice for sure, but unless she publicized her address, she will get the unsuspecting neighborhood kids.

As soon as she hands out one she will be identified and all bets are off..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back