NV - Boy, 17, beaten to death by up to 15 classmates; 8 arrests made

airportwoman

Reaction score
Details are conflicting, but it sounds like 17-year-old Jonathan Lewis was trying to defend a friend after the friend was accused of stealing several items, and was jumped and beaten, eventually to death, by a mob, who of course filmed it and put it on social media.

Details are conflicting, but it sounds like 17-year-old Jonathan Lewis was trying to defend a friend after the friend was accused of stealing several items, and was jumped and beaten, eventually to death, by a mob, who of course filmed it and put it on social media.

not that it matters but for accuracy sake, the People article says that the friend was actually the victim of theft and thrown in a garbage can by the mob at which point Jonathan confronted them and they then attacked him

Everyone involved should be charged as an adult and tried for murder. I don't care who actually delivered the fatal blow. Something has to be done about this mob mentality when it comes to violence and bullying. When you take part in an act of violence that leads to death, even if you didn't deliver the fatal shot, you should be charged with the death. Charge them all and if the jury finds them all guilty, they all go to prison.

MOO.

I am interested in when this happened, apparently it is all on video, is there any sort of monitoring of the cameras?

Coincidence, Rancho HS, in Clark County school district isn't too far from Centennial HS, where "Pay It Forward" was filmed, and the star was killed in a fight on the campus.

"Jonathan Lewis killing:

Las Vegas officials blasted out-of-control schools after student, 17 was 'beaten to death' by swarm of 15 bullies."

RIP :(

SMH. Seems like something like this happens almost every day.
I've heard many times that what one person wouldn't do, two or more will -- and it's true often enuff.
Jonathan didn't have a chance. It sounds like the kids involved just kept piling on him until he stopped moving and breathing. Another teen gone, leaving a family to plan a funeral for their 17 year-old son, and to grieve for many years.
Glad that the perpetrators are known...
Prayers for Jonathan's family and for the medical folks who tried to help him. SMH.
And prayers for everyone. This has got to stop. When??? How???

Last edited:
Reprehensible. These vicious animals ganged up on this one kid just because he confronted them about stealing from his friend. It's obvious that if there were only one thief involved here, it's unlikely that this would have happened. However, they felt empowered due to being a gang of cowardly thugs.

Every one of these pieces of criminal trash should be tried as adults. And, they should all do life in prison without parole - at the least.

I'm tired of these criminals taking over the streets. Sickening. They should all be put somewhere far away from civilized society forever.

Last edited:
I read about this case earlier today. Just so sad, preventable, unnecessary, horrible, and shocking.

I hope all involved are charged and face consequences for their actions. This is unacceptable. RIP Jonathan :(

Where was the school staff who should have been supervising? WTH?

I read about this case earlier today. Just so sad, preventable, unnecessary, horrible, and shocking.

I hope all involved are charged and face consequences for their actions. This is unacceptable. RIP Jonathan :(

Where was the school staff who should have been supervising? WTH?
This happened off campus.

Jonathan Lewis, 17, died the day after a savage beatdown by about 15 other students outside Rancho High School, Las Vegas, on November 1. Police have launched a homicide investigation into his tragic death, but no arrests were made.
[snip]
John Vellardita, who is the executive director of the Clark County Education Association, warned lawmakers on March 23 that violence in schools had 'gotten out of hand.'

Vellardita said: 'The culture in these schools has gotten out of hand in terms of student behavior and what we have seen is an escalation of violence.'
https://www-dailymail-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12744111/amp/Jonathan-Lewis-Las-Vegas-officials-schools-bullies.html?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQIUAKwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=17001006873106&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-12744111%2FJonathan-Lewis-Las-Vegas-officials-schools-bullies.html

Eight Nevada high school students were arrested on murder charges this week in the death of a 17-year-old boy who was beaten unconscious during an after-school brawl this month, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said.
[snip]
The fight is believed to have started over a pair of stolen headphones, Lt. Jason Johansson of the Police Department said. The students had planned to meet that day after classes in a back alley less than 300 feet from the campus, he said.
8 Teens Charged With Murder in Beating Death of 17-Year-Old Schoolmate

Articles I have read make it sound as if this happened immediately after school was dismissed for the day and within 300 feet of the school. I live in a low income area. The HS nearby has all sorts of issues with violence, drugs, bullying etc. There are off duty police acting as school resource/security officers and on duty LE there each day as the arrive and after dismissal, monitoring behavior, to try to prevent just such mob action events.

BTW, I was almost a similar victim almost 50 years ago, and not only am I and all the potential perps white, we are/were female [ETA and middle class]. Shortly after starting 7th grade, I dropped a pop fly in a gym class softball game, and one of my teammates said she was going to get all her friends together after school, and kill me. I thought she was kidding. She wasn't, and the threats continued until we were in high school.

As for my parents and the school, their attitude wavered between "People don't threaten to kill someone over a gym class softball game" and "Maybe you shouldn't have dropped that ball."

ETA II: The "were" is due to the likelihood that not all of them are still living.

Last edited:
LAS VEGAS - Prosecutors in Las Vegas have formally charged four high school students as adults with murder in the deadly beating of their schoolmate, a fight that was captured on cellphone video and has been widely shared across social media.

The two 16-year-olds and two 17-year-olds are charged with second-degree murder and conspiracy to commit battery.

After court, District Attorney Steve Wolfson said his office chose not to bring a first-degree murder charge against the teens because, he said, the evidence shows that the beating was not a premeditated act.

The four teens will remain held without bail, but a judge on Tuesday granted a joint request from prosecutors and defense attorneys to transfer them from the county jail to the juvenile detention center, citing the teens' safety.
Las Vegas teens charged with murder after classmate's deadly beating

Thanks for the article you posted above, @tlcya -- very informative and maddening.

Second-degree murder in NV -- the 16- NS 17-year olds could be charged with this -- if I understand correctly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -​
Murder in the second-degree is a category A felony that can be punished by imprisonment: For life with the possibility of parole (eligibility for parole beginning when a minimum of 10 years have been served), or. For 25 years (with eligibility for parole beginning when a minimum of 10 years has been served)
Nevada Second-Degree Murder - FindLaw

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back