GUILTY NV - Damian Avila Castro, 4 mos, dies in axe attack, Las Vegas, 11 Feb 2010

openmind--I would like to respectively point out that not all families "don't want to admit the problem and instead insist everything is just fine until something tragic happens".

With our budget, what can we do?

Missizzy -- sorry to be so long responding. Thank you for your candid comments. You decidedly have an up close and personal experience dealing with a loved one that is suffering from mental issues. It is a difficult problem and one, I agree, leaves people with little or no support. In this case, I am surprised the family left this man in charge of very small children and a disabled adult considering the mental issues they mentioned. Did they see his condition honestly or were they trying to ignore a problem they didn't know how to handle? Not taking his meds was a dangerous choice and in this case he turned lethal. Did he have a job, or was he made the babysitter because he couldn't manage a job outside the home? You have faced your situation straight forward. Not everyone does. I wonder how some families go into denial because they simply do not know where to go for help?

As to the budget, this is a place we should be putting our money and not in vanity or special interest projects. Sadly, this is not an issue that has has a rich lobby or is a culturally hot topic to gets support.

You beat me to it not_my_kids. ITA, Sociopathy is not diagnosed in childhood--certainly not decades ago. It's possible he could have been diagnosed with Conduct Disorder, the precursor to Sociopathy. I think we need to go back to the original interview with Ms. Montague and listen to her words. She describes her husband as schizophrenic, depressed and delusional. She also states emphatically that he "doesn't believe in drugs".

So, he believe in battle axes? I'm really sorry for Ms. Montague's pain but she is an adult. She states that she's been with this man since they were teens. She chose to have children with him and to allow him to care for a disabled adult. I'm sure she's heartbroken but there was more she should have done.

No one with this level of mental illness should be watching children or the disabled. No one should be left unattended when they are pacing and not sleeping. That's like leaving a diabetic when they begin seizing or an alcoholic when they are three sheets to the wind. When your loved one is sick, you MUST get help. We don't get an option on that one.

And thank you for the kind and wise words, Openmind. I not only chose to parent those with mental illness and DD, I've been surprised to have my birth children all develop serious mental illnesses, too. It is like any other chronic illness. It takes vigilance and a thick skin, a sense of humor and resilience.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100413...5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNtb3RoZXJ0ZXN0aWY-

Mother testifies at hearing in Nev. ax attack case

"LAS VEGAS – A woman testified through tears and a translator Monday that a Las Vegas man mocked her as she pleaded for him to stop hacking her and her 4-month-old son with a medieval-style battle ax on a residential street.

Sonia Lisset Castro peeled back a gauzy white scarf to show a Las Vegas judge the scars on the right side of her head where surgeons reattached her face and jaw. She said her right eye was irreparably damaged.
Her son was killed...."

more at link

"The judge and defense lawyers agreed to let Castro's husband, Carlos, hold his wife's left hand on the witness stand. She thumbed a Catholic Rosary with her right hand as she testified."

Those words make me weep. Does everyone realize how rarely true compassion is allowed in a courtroom? It's unprecedented. Bless that judge and those attorneys for showing this grieving woman a tiny mercy.

This does NOT make sense:

"Montague told police he had no memory of the attacks, and defense lawyer Norm Reed has characterized his client as delusional and paranoid. But neither Reed nor defense lawyer Andrea Luem has sought to have Montague declared mentally unfit for trial."

The only thing that makes any sense to me in this awful crime is that the man must have had a mental break. He must be schizophrenic and off his meds. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was smoking super high THC pot which pushed him further into a disassociated and delusional state.

If it's so obvious, why aren't they claiming insanity? What in the world are they trying to pull here? I'm not understanding his wife's position at all. Is she just trying to save herself from culpability? She's saying, on one hand, that Montague has severe mental illnesses. On the other, she's defending herself and him by saying that he wasn't violent and she left him to care for their children and her disabled sister. She noticed the changes in his behavior. She knew about his illness. I blame her more than I do him, if he truly does have these diagnoses. If....

kinda like nancy garridos lawyer trying to sell lsd addiction one minute, husband control another and finally 'they are one big happy family'. which is it? and none of them make sense....

ITA, kbl, this one doesn't make any sense. Severe mental illness never makes sense. What's flooring me is that the wife, Erricca, is not being held responsible in any way. It's only because of the one neighbor that this guy didn't kill more people.

And that poor neighbor. My prayers go out to her too. Oh, how I hope Nevada pulls out the stops on victims advocacy and support for these people.

I have no doubt he knows what to say for a possible insanity defense. Black out my @azz. If only the neighbor who tried to assist had a gun. I'm a big supporter of the right to bear arms. It would have been a pefect defense of others to take him out. Any responsible gun owner never wants to use it, but in some cases it would be absolutely necessary - saving a baby and mother from murder by axe? yeah, that's necessary.

"The judge and defense lawyers agreed to let Castro's husband, Carlos, hold his wife's left hand on the witness stand. She thumbed a Catholic Rosary with her right hand as she testified."

Those words make me weep. Does everyone realize how rarely true compassion is allowed in a courtroom? It's unprecedented. Bless that judge and those attorneys for showing this grieving woman a tiny mercy.

Me too. And the judge also helped her stand up when it was time to identify the sorry sack of ####. I agree, that is truly rare.

This whole thing was so horrific for everyone involved...I can't even imagine being any of these three women. I hope against hope that the children didn't witness this.

You know, Reen, before you mentioned the other children, I hadn't considered what they might have seen. Two were at home and one at school. That tells me the younger ones must be infants or toddlers.

He stabbed and slashed the disabled sister "at least 20 times". She was treated and released, though, which leads me to believe that her wounds were not extremely serious (relatively speaking). There are conflicting reports on how serious her wounds are, though.

http://www.icrawl.org/44034264932-damian-castro-4-months-las-vegas-nv

(A reasonably good sequence)

Surely any children present must have heard the sister's cries (if she speaks). Having CP, it's a possibility that she might not.

But if Montague was racing around the house like a madman wouldn't children be watching? If their aunt was moaning wouldn't they notice? Possibly they had run to hide or were locked in a room or out back. We can hope.

I'm still stuck on the wife, Errica (not sure of the actual spelling). I'm afraid she's not stable either. I've read detailed reports of comments she's made which totally contradict each other. Of course, I realize she was in shock but I'm hopeful that she will be closely looked at. The man was reported by neighbors to look "crazy", supposedly had a diagnosis, was smoking pot, pacing, and not eating. Why on God's green earth would you leave your children and disabled sister in the care of someone like this. There are emergency free or low cost mental health services in Las Vegas (I checked).

http://www.refugees.bratfree.com/read.php?2,127719,127719,quote=1

Errica's comments about Harold:

"I’ve known Harold since he was in kindergarten. We grew up in Texas and we've been together for 18 years.”

32-year-old Errica Montague describes her husband Harold as a loving father and wonderful caregiver to her disabled sister Monica.

“He's been a wonderful provider for my sister and a wonderful provider for my kids. Their dad was everything to them and everything to me. I lost my best friend.”

and referring to the attack:

"That’s just something I never thought my husband would go through."

and then these comments:

Errica believes Harold was having some sort of “mental episode” and must have just snapped. She says there is a history of mental illness in his family and that Harold had been diagnosed as a sociopath as a child.

"When he was in junior high his mother put him in a boy's camp in Texas. At about 11, 12, and 13, he attended there and they diagnosed him."

This past week Errica says she noticed a change in Harold’s behavior.

“He wasn't sleeping, he didn't eat. He was just worried pacing the floor, thinking, thinking, thinking…” The day before the murder Errica asked Harold if he felt he needed any kind of help; Harold said no. "He got a little rest, woke up. I saw him that evening and he said he didn't really remember anything. Just… was a different mind.”

Errica now describes her husband as a “ticking time bomb” that finally went off.

Errica has said that she's known Harold since they were teens. I wonder if she's also been treated for mental illness and that's how she met him. This family needed some serious intervention, IMO, and it is beyond me how they stayed under the radar of DHS and LE.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=11971684

"He would walk up and down the street and stare at people. He was home alone with the children all day. The kids are always crying over there," she said.

Can someone explain how this did not get reported by a neighbor or the oldest child's school. Was he ever on school grounds looking this strange?

A couple of comments I noticed in researching that I hadn't seen before were that police had been called to the home before (?) and a teacher at a middle school around the corner was upset that they were not put in lock-down. The first the school knew something was wrong was when a police helicopter flew overhead. IMO, there should have been an immediate lock-down. Consider the number of children who've been stabbed to death at schools in Asia in the last couple of years by mentally ill men.

http://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/apr/12/woman-recounts-alleged-ax-attack-killed-son/

This is an article with far more small details than I have read before. It describes the actual injuries to each woman and the infant, the comments that Montague made to LE, the reason why he was beaten, and more comments by the wife.

This article also confirms that he was the paid caregiver to the disabled sister-in-law. To me, this raises a question. Who is this woman's case manager and why would a man with an assault charge in his criminal history (Bexar County, TX) be allowed to be certified for care of a fragile person?

This could be total coincidence but it's odd. The mother who was horribly attacked by Montague has the same first name (which is not a common one, IMO) as a child listed at the Montague home. I wonder if Montague had ever spoken to this woman before or somehow knew her name. He is reported to have hung out at a corner store smoking heavily. This woman walked that path everyday to a store. I wonder if he had been watching her and if this isn't as random as first thought.

A snip from the article MissIzzy posted last:

"During one of her numerous surgeries after the attack, doctors implanted a feeding tube. A blow to her jaw disconnected it and her mouth had to be wired shut for several weeks."

How'd she get a blow to the jaw after the attack and surgeries? It is hard to do unless you fall on your face! Don't tell me she's in an abusive relationship on top of all this!!

reen, maybe a doctor messed up?

And elbowed her in the face? I seriously hope not. You'd think they would take extreme precautions considering, you know, that her face was chopped off and all. Jeez! Or maybe it's poor reporting.

And elbowed her in the face? I seriously hope not. You'd think they would take extreme precautions considering, you know, that her face was chopped off and all. Jeez! Or maybe it's poor reporting.

well you'd think doctors amputating a leg would remember to amputate the right one...........but i've seen instances where they dont

My guess is that she fell or lost her balance and bumped her jaw. She was wobbly in court and I wouldn't be surprised if she fell and sustained a blow to the jaw. It probably wouldn't have had to be much of an impact to effect the feeding tube. They are notorious for being dislodged. The woman has such severe damage to her face (and I would imagine bruising of the brain) that I'm shocked she's even walking. Her balance will probably always be a bit off.

Has anyone read if this little boy was this couple's only child? Just wondering.

http://www.ktnv.com/global/story.asp?s=12320427

Accused ax murderer to enter not guilty plea by reason of insanity

"The attorney representing accused ax murderer Harold Montague says his client will enter a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity.

That statement made by Deputy Public Defender Norm Reed after a judge decided there is enough evidence for Montague to stand trial.

"This is obviously a situation where it couldn't have happened for any other reason, but he was severely insane at the time," said Norm Reed, Montague's attorney.

Reed says he will push for Montague to spend the rest of his life in Lakes Crossing, a state run mental institution, instead of the confinement of prison.

He describes Montague as delusional from the day of the attack up until now...."

more at link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back