GUILTY NV - Damian Avila Castro, 4 mos, dies in axe attack, Las Vegas, 11 Feb 2010

i like the word 'accused axe murderer' ummmmm i dont care if he's crazy or not. there's nothing 'accused' about it. he did it.

If ever there was a cause to invoke the insanity plea, this is it IMO. I just want to hear from the wife, Erricca, and have her explain what she was doing while her husband struggled with his severe mental illness. Did she not care about the children, her sister, the neighbors? Was she just hoping against hope that he wouldn't snap? That doesn't cut it with schizophrenia. She said that he was a ticking time bomb and she left him ticking and went to work?

A Las Vegas man pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity Monday to charges of hacking a 4-month-old baby to death and critically wounding the child's mother with a medieval-style battle ax.

Harold Eugene Montague, 34, stood in shackles before a judge, stated his name and age and said he understood the charges against him, which include capital murder, attempted murder and battery with a deadly weapon causing substantial bodily harm.

snip/

Montague also is accused of stabbing his disabled sister-in-law in his house on Feb. 11 before bursting outside, attacking the child and mother who was pushing a stroller, and fighting with police who eventually subdued him.

snip/

That hearing included wrenching testimony from a medical examiner about ax blows to the child's skull, and tearful testimony from the mother who showed scars where surgeons had reattached her own face and jaw.

She said Montague laughed and mocked her as he struck her face and head with the blade.

MORE: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/may/03/vegas-man-denies-killing-4-month-old-baby-with-ax/

Perp:
harold-montague-mug.jpg

Image from THIS blog.

If ever there was a cause to invoke the insanity plea, this is it IMO. I just want to hear from the wife, Erricca, and have her explain what she was doing while her husband struggled with his severe mental illness. Did she not care about the children, her sister, the neighbors? Was she just hoping against hope that he wouldn't snap? That doesn't cut it with schizophrenia. She said that he was a ticking time bomb and she left him ticking and went to work?

I don't know what the commitment laws in LV are. I've lived in WA and CA and worked both places as a psych RN, and am familiar with the processes by which a person is "committed" involuntarily. After all the years of being able to toss a rebellious child or lesbian family member in an institution, the laws are a lot friendlier for the mentally ill . . . and the insurance companies, Medicaid included, won't reimburse except for certain behaviors: danger to self, danger to others, or gravely disabled (unable to provide/procure food shelter and safety for yourself).

You probably can't get locked up in ANY state for staring in a hostile manner, responding to internal stimuli, being obsessed with guns or knives or poisons or bombs. You have to DO something first. They just hope you don't DO what this guy did in your first act-out.

99% of family members of mentally ill people are exhausted and in despair over getting them help, even when the mentally ill person WANTS it.

I don't see this monster's wife as being responsible at all. Even if she did NOTHING, it would have the same exact result as if she'd called the police and mental health unit every single day. All of their hands are tied until the person DOES something. Remind you of anything :p ??? Unbelievable horror for that woman, her poor baby and family :(

"On May 22, 2014, the Montague case came to an abrupt conclusion when attorney Reed announced that his client had pleaded guilty to first-degree murder, two counts of attempted murder, and battery of a police officer. Under the plea agreement, the defendant will be sentenced on July 30, 2014 to life in prison without the chance of parole. In prison, he will receive treatment for his mental illness."

Taken from this blog

"On May 22, 2014, the Montague case came to an abrupt conclusion when attorney Reed announced that his client had pleaded guilty to first-degree murder, two counts of attempted murder, and battery of a police officer. Under the plea agreement, the defendant will be sentenced on July 30, 2014 to life in prison without the chance of parole. In prison, he will receive treatment for his mental illness."

Taken from this blog

This took a long long time..........thanks for the update

here's MSM link too:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/23/harold-montague-guilty-ax-attack-_n_5381607.html

sentencing July 31, 2014

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2014/jul/31/man-gets-life-ax-attack-killed-baby/

"A 38-year-old Las Vegas man has been ordered to life in prison without the possibility of parole for hacking a 4-month-old baby to death with a medieval-style battle ax and critically wounding the child's mother."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back