NV NV - Elko Co, WhtFem 25-27, UP4920, blonde, may be from WY, scars, Nov'93

Okay I'm looking at this and the science seems incredibly precise.

Can radiocarbon dating be used to give such a precise estimate of age? Can we actually say that the victim was 27 years old, not 24 or 30?

How can radioisotope analysis give a result that she had lived for seven months in a town of 1,800 people?

I doubt you could be that precise if you had her driver's license!

Okay I'm looking at this and the science seems incredibly precise.

Can radiocarbon dating be used to give such a precise estimate of age? Can we actually say that the victim was 27 years old, not 24 or 30?

How can radioisotope analysis give a result that she had lived for seven months in a town of 1,800 people?

I doubt you could be that precise if you had her driver's license!

I was wondering that about the carbon dating too. Can it really be THAT exact? Seems questionable.

Looking at the Wikipedia entry for Afton, Wyoming, perhaps the water supply has something to do with how they narrowed the location down. It says:
A periodic spring is Afton's main water supply, which cycles on and off during the summer, fall, and winter at 12 to 18 minute intervals. During the spring the flow never stops due to increased water supply from the melting snowpack. At full flow the Periodic Spring discharges up to 285 gallons per second. It is located 5 miles east of Afton, a short hike from the end of Swift Creek Road.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afton,_Wyoming

I begin to think that she was probably never reported missing. Perhaps she grew up in the southwest and had family there, but later moved to Wyoming and the contact with her family broke off.

That could very well be, or that she ran away as a teenager from somewhere else and was reported back then. That's why I'm looking at missing persons meeting the description that may have run away from home during their teens. If I'm not mistaken most women are at their full height when they are around 13/14 years old.

Originally I also had this person Shaliegh Sharrie Phillips;
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/phillips_shaliegh.html, who ran away when she was 12, but she would have been only 17 at the time, so since they came out with 27, I eliminated her also. She is from SO. Calif though and is the right height and hair and eye color.

It is pretty amazing what they can figure out from a strand of hair?

What I was thinking about Rochelle isn't that the coroner measured the JD wrong, more like where did Rochelle's height come from? Driver's license? Family? Friends? I mean, if someone asked me how tall anyone close to me is I don't think I'd really be able to get an exact height...maybe within 2 or 3 inches, but not exact. Even my husband...I think he's 6 feet, but it could be 5'11" or 6'1"...see what I mean? Not that I'm convinced it is Rochelle, just that I think she could possibly be a long-shot match based mostly on the birthmark.

If it turns out that this JD is Wendy Huggy I will be a little freaked out though, because this JD is the case that sticks in my mind most and Wendy has the same first name as me...and she was supposed to start working at a Wendy's restaurant. *cue eerie music*

Oh man, I can hear the Twilight Zone music now! lol

IMO the missing descriptions, especially if put out by loved ones, would be pretty darn accurate, I know I would be in the event that every little bit helped in finding my loved one. But there could be errors on both sides, coroners and kinfolk, we're all human. :)

I was wondering that about the carbon dating too. Can it really be THAT exact? Seems questionable.

Looking at the Wikipedia entry for Afton, Wyoming, perhaps the water supply has something to do with how they narrowed the location down. It says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afton,_Wyoming

How far is Afton Wyoming from Salt Lake City, Utah? Deborah Lee Frost disappeared from there, she fits the description height's off only an inch. It says this Eaton guy is suspected of murders in Utah also.

As to her age, I don't think they can be accurate down to a specific age.

However, they can say how long she lived in a certain area to within a matter days to weeks, if they analysis is done and interpreted right.

I don't know but the more i look at Diane Leslie Reeve's face and compare it with the JD, the features look almost identical. Considering they did have a face to work with, albeit very beat up, it's probably a pretty accurate likeness. I can't find much more on Diane Reeve's, so I don't know if she ever lived in the southern states at one time or if she had any scars on her legs. Look how similar the nose and eyes are and all the other vitals are right on. I think I might send this doe link into the sheriff investigating Diane's case. What do you think?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/125ufnv.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/reeves_diane.html

I went ahead and submitted this one to the Whatcom County Sheriff's Office in Washington. I will let everyone know if I hear back.

Attachments

• reeves_diane.jpg
    reeves_diane.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 25
  • shafterjane.jpg
    shafterjane.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 88
I don't know but the more i look at Diane Leslie Reeve's face and compare it with the JD, the features look almost identical. Considering they did have a face to work with, albeit very beat up, it's probably a pretty accurate likeness. I can't find much more on Diane Reeve's, so I don't know if she ever lived in the southern states at one time or if she had any scars on her legs. Look how similar the nose and eyes are and all the other vitals are right on. I think I might send this doe link into the sheriff investigating Diane's case. What do you think?

I went ahead and submitted this one to the Whatcom County Sheriff's Office in Washington. I will let everyone know if I hear back.

The nose is incredibly striking. It really is.
I think it would be worth emailing, if for nothing else maybe you can get a rule out list. Even if you don't know who somebody is, it can help to know who they aren't.
I'll pop back in the morning, see if anything changes my mind.
I don't think it will.

ETA: And now I see you already submitted. Good work and I'll be waiting to hear.

The nose is incredibly striking. It really is.
I think it would be worth emailing, if for nothing else maybe you can get a rule out list. Even if you don't know who somebody is, it can help to know who they aren't.
I'll pop back in the morning, see if anything changes my mind.
I don't think it will.

ETA: And now I see you already submitted. Good work and I'll be waiting to hear.

Nose and eyes I think look almost identical. I have no idea how she could have disappeared in 1989 and then turned up dead in NV in 1993, but if Jaycee could be held for 18 years then I suppose she could have been held captive for 4. She just looks so much like the composite and fits the vitals, that I just had to submit it, I hope they consider it and will get back to me. I think I'll forward it to the JD's detective also. What the heck, like you said, if nothing else will get an elimination. Will let you know when I hear back!

Something about this JD has been bugging me and I just figured out what it is. It says she was in the "middle" of having a root canal. Root canals are normally done in one setting, you don't get half now half later. What's up with that? If they meant she had on a plastic temporary crown, then there's a dentist out there who has a patient that never came in to pick up their permanent crown, which are costly. Seems like they would have reported that in the original stories in an attempt to get the dentist to come forward. The only other explanation I can come up with is her captor/killer was a dentist.

Oh man Billylee, you just made me read about root canals and now my teeth hurt! :biggrin:

I wonder if she just had a pulpectomy and was supposed to go back to the dentist for the full root canal. Maybe now that the last area she lived in has been identified a dentist will remember a patient that never came back to finish her root canal and check dental records.

More than you ever wanted to know about root canals at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endodontic_therapy

Sometimes the dentist performs preliminary treatment of the tooth by removing all of the infected pulp of the tooth and applying a dressing and temporary filling to the tooth. This is called a "pulpectomy". The dentist may also remove just the coronal portion of the dental pulp, which contains 90% of the nerve tissue, and leave intact the pulp in the canals. This procedure, called a "pulpotomy", tends to essentially eliminate all the pain. A "pulpotomy" may be a relatively definitive treatment for infected primary teeth. The pulpectomy and pulpotomy procedures eliminate almost all pain until the follow-up visit for finishing the root canal. But if the pain returns, it means any of three things: the patient is biting into the tooth, there is still a significant amount of sensitive nerve material left in the tooth, or there is still more pus building up inside and around the infected tooth; all of these cause pain.

After removing as much of the internal pulp as possible, the root canals can be temporarily filled with calcium hydroxide paste. This strong alkaline base is left in for a week or more to disinfect and reduce inflammation in surrounding tissue.

I've had several root canals, not for infected teeth, but because the teeth were cracked and going to be crowned. So I guess that's why mine were crowned with a temporary, and then I went back and got the permanent crown after they were made. Which, by the way, if I remember right, takes about two weeks for the dentist to get back. That's here anyway. So if she had that calcium hydroxide paste still in her mouth, sounds like her dental work would have been done no more 7 than days from her date of death. (P.S. Jeeze, I started googling dentists accused of sexual assault and it gives me the creeps, there's more than I thought there were! )

Great find Billylee!! I have to agree that the likeness is something that can not be easily overlooked!! I know this is going to sound crazy, but she looks a lot like the age progression of Anna Waters. That is the first person I thought of when I saw the artist sketches.

Great find Billylee!! I have to agree that the likeness is something that can not be easily overlooked!! I know this is going to sound crazy, but she looks a lot like the age progression of Anna Waters. That is the first person I thought of when I saw the artist sketches.

The drawing looks more like Anna's age progression. The nose is different on the other. Anna's nose bridge looks wider to me. But who knows, I just looked and the age would be right. Anna was born in 1967 also. This reminds me, I think every person's website of missing "little" ones, like under 16 years of age, should have a picture of the mom and/or dad at the progressed age. Most kids look like at least one of their parents and as they age, even more so. I thought of this when I saw how much Jaycee looked just like her mother in the videos/pictures of Terri at the time Jaycee was abducted. You could have simply put a picture of Terri as a age progression and it would have been right on, don't you think? Wasn't she right around the same age as Jaycee is now, 29? I meant to email this idea to Michaela's Mom and I forgot. But I will, thanks for reminding me.

There is definitely a resemblance. That Anna would have been 26 in 1993 could just be coincidence, but it makes one wonder...

Attachments

• 253_ACW2007-07.jpg
    253_ACW2007-07.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 125UFNV1.jpg
    125UFNV1.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 125UFNV.jpg
    125UFNV.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 82
Could this case be related?

Unidentified White/Hispanic Female

* Located on March 1 , 1992 in Sweetwater, Wyoming
* Cause of death was homicide. The victim had been stabbed and strangled.

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 24 - 32 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8" (173 cm); 125 - 130 pounds (57-59 kg)
* Distinguishing Characteristics: She was White with predominately Hispanic characteristics or Hispanic with Native characteristics. Dark brown or black hair and brown or black eyes.
* Distinguishing Marks: She had a vertical Cesarean scar on her abdomen and a one-inch scar on her left calf. She had a distinctive tattoo of a rose on the right breast.
* Clothing: A pair of pink panties and a pair of sweat pants nearby.
* Jewelry : She wore a gold-colored necklace and a plain gold-colored wedding-type ring, which sat on her left ring finger.
* Dentals: Available. Some dentistry
* DNA: Available

tattoo
Victim's Tattoo

Case History
On March 1, 1992, a trucker pausing at an Interstate 80 turnout known as Bitter Creek spotted the victim's body lying face down in the snow, probably dumped from a truck months earlier.
The victim was probably killed elsewhere and dumped near the westbound side of the highway between October 1991 and February 1992.
The body, completely nude, appeared as if it had been dropped out of a truck and came to rest at the bottom of a slope. The cause of death was listed as an ice pick or similar object inserted in the victim's left nostril, penetrating her sphenoid bone. Examiners also found signs of strangulation, beating trauma to the face and jaw, as well as anal and vaginal sexual assault.
The sophistication of the killing points to the possible involvement of a serial offender. Investigators managed to obtain an excellent set of fingerprints from the victim but have yet to learn her identity. Detectives have determined the killer's blood is type O.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Sweetwater County Sheriff's Office
Detective Mark Ferman
307-352-6720

Agency Case #:
92-0763

NCIC Number:
U-549593815
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
APB News
Sweetwater County Sheriff's Office

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/213ufwy.html

Okay, I know, I'm quoting myself here..... but this is the response I just received from the Washoe County coroner; so if ANYONE has more info than I may have, please forward the info. Thanks.

I am currently trying to rule this in or out. Please forward any additional information that might help. Thank you so much for what you do!!!

George C. Gomez

Medicolegal Death Investigator / Safety Officer

Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office

Ph: 775-785-6114 Fx: 775-785-6163

Update from the Washoe County ME's office:

"I have forwarded all the info to the Elko County SO. They will be investigating this for me."

George C. Gomez
Medicolegal Death Investigator / Safety Officer
Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office
Ph: 775-785-6114 Fx: 775-785-6163

More info on this Jane Doe
http://www.elkodaily.com/articles/2010/03/27/news/local_news/doc4bad47dc1aff4532616668.txt

Some of the leads prompted him to contact authorities in Sweetwater, Wyo., about a missing woman in their records who was about the same age, disappeared about the same time, had also had a child and had a burn scar on the inside of her leg.

But with all the circumstantial facts adding up, the hard evidence of the dental records and fingerprints just couldn’t clinch it. It wasn’t the same woman.

Still, just as one door closes another opens.

Journigan said he recently received “another bit of info” from a man who claims to be a former manager at the Orvis outdoor recreation store near Jackson, Wyo. He claims to have worked with a woman who also went missing in the same period of time Shafter Jane was found in Elko County. Jackson Hole is just north of Afton.

The former manager claims the woman worked at Orvis up until that time and several things fit. Although he can’t recall the woman’s name, he said the FBI composite photo looks very much like her. She, too, was pregnant, about the same age and had — as Journigan puts it — “old man trouble.”

But it may take some time before the woman’s identity can be found, if at all, through employment records kept by the company. Journigan said Orvis has two headquarters and the search would mean being able to find one woman who worked there 18 years ago. Journigan said he also plans to contact the former sheriff of Teton County to see if he recalls anything or if the records there turn up anything.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shyanne
Back