NV NV - Elko, near Devil's Gate, WhtFem 15-18, UP11310, 4" heeled 'La Fisa' clogs, Oct'72

Could she be Sharon Lee Gallegos? Abducted in New Mexico in 1960, when she was 4 3683DFNM - Sharon Lee Gallegos

El Paso Herald-Post - July 28, 1960 In this article an interesting remark, considering this Jane Doe is supposed to be Caucasian/Spanish

No trace has been found of Sharon Gallegos, whom her mother, Mrs. Lupe Gallegos, had nick-named "La Huera" because of her blondish hair and fair complexion.

Could she be Sharon Lee Gallegos? Abducted in New Mexico in 1960, when she was 4 3683DFNM - Sharon Lee Gallegos

El Paso Herald-Post - July 28, 1960 In this article an interesting remark, considering this Jane Doe is supposed to be Caucasian/Spanish

No trace has been found of Sharon Gallegos, whom her mother, Mrs. Lupe Gallegos, had nick-named "La Huera" because of her blondish hair and fair complexion.

In the Namus file she is listed Multiple race (White/Spanish) that's the reason for this suggestion. Any thoughts?

First post on this forum. I drive by the Shafter Exit maybe a dozen or more times a year, and wonder from time to time about the woman found there, Shafter Jane. There are quite a few locals such as myself, that always keep tuned to anything developing in this case. Looking into this case was when I first took notice of the Devils Gate Jane Doe, Thousand Springs Jane Doe and the Starr Valley Jane Doe. I was born and raised here locally and was 13 and 15 yrs. old when the last 3 mentioned were found.

Someone posted a news article from the local paper about the detective on the Shafter Jane case wanting to make contact with someone from the housing area of Ryndon who called them about a station wagon in the area of the Shafter Jane finding. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/icaremissingpersonscoldcases/unidentified-female-found-in-1993-in-elko-nevada-t848.html

What struck me is that Ryndon is about 18 miles east of Elko, 32 miles west of Wells and 19 miles west from Starr Valley. You get to Devils Gate by going north through Ryndon on Coal Mine Canyon Road or north on the Elburz road which is just over the hill on the next exit east. Thousand Springs is 33 miles North of Wells. Shafter is 37 miles east of Wells.

I read that a lot of posters here are thinking that this Dale Eaton is the biggest suspect. He is accused of 3 deaths, two of those females and one a male inmate. He never admitted to anything else as far as I know. He does sound good for it but in some respects I am not so sure to be honest, unless Eaton lived around Elko and its environs for a few years in the 70's. Anyone know how long maybe? I think it was someone local who may have lived around here for a number of years, killed 3 unidentified possible runaways, then left, maybe?

Did this person return for an encore in 93? SV Jane and Shafter Jane are the most similar, until you get to the ages, and the time frame...19 years. The 72 and 74 girls were very young, possibly runaways. It was during the period when young people were hitting the road, flower children, hippies, etc. I-80 would be a convenient corridor to get to either side of the country at that time. Shafter Jane was close to 30 yrs. old most likely not considered missing. Had a child apparently.

Another point, the 3 girls in the 70's were left pretty much off the beaten path, almost like by someone who had a knowledge of the immediate area. Shafter is just off the interstate with an exit ramp and my understanding is that Shafter Jane was found very close to I-80, more than likely killed somewhere else and dumped there right off the exit.

I often wonder, in this day of DNA, why these girls could not be exhumed and DNA extracted in some fashion? Surely someone related would be found in this age of ancestry.com, 23andme.com, etc.

Still thinking about this girl.....
  • Race multiple, White / Caucasian, Hispanic / Latino, but long (golden) blond hair with curls on the end, somehow my mind is blocking a bit on this combination. I know some Hispanic/Latino girls have lighter (natural blondish) hair mostly coming from Central and South America. It would be something special how they describe it (IMO)
  • The FBI report indicated the death from four to twelve weeks prior to discovery, placing death between 7/8/72 and 9/2/1972. There are almost no missing girls listed fitting in the timeline, the stats or the particular traits mentioned....taking the once listed on this thread into consideration too. There are many cases where a young girl was considered a runaway and a she couldn't or wasn't reported missing. Looking through the NCMEC files again nobody seems to fit. The one thing that could be a possibility is that a missing girl on the list was "kept" for a longer time, growing to 15 - 18 years and then murdered.
  • There was a high heel shoe and a white nylon stocking found near the body. It's hard for me to imagine a 15/16 year old child would be dressed like that (only when she had to dress up for her abductor) Makes me think this girl was somewhat on the older end of the range....
  • I don't understand the notation of the shoe size... Foot size 4 to 41/2. Is this a typo or just the way it's described in the USA? Size 4 would be a children size in Europe...or am I wrong?
  • There are a lot of states that put a lot of fluoride in the water....it would be something like isotopes IMO, not very to the point while searching for a missing girl.

re: the "high heels"

The exact description is "1 pair of womens high heeled shoes, clog type w/4 inch heels. Brand name "La Fisa". This sounds to me like a male ME/LE trying to describe a pair of platform shoes, which were all the rage in the early 1970s. It might point to the higher end of the range, but I was in high school in 1972 and the younger girls were most definitely wearing that style of shoe, even in backwater Montana.

Same for the colored/fishnet/white stockings. We were all wearing them and our parents said we looked like hookers.

I think Kathy Sue Wilcox fits! The race/ethnicity and the description of the UID’s hair was throwing me off. I think “golden” varies based on people’s interpretations, and this possible match has more auburn/dark hair to me, so it may be a stretch...

Kathy disappeared from Otsego, Michigan on July 12, 1972. The UID was discovered on October 2, 1972 with a PMI listed as 4-12 weeks. Right within range. Kathy was 15 years old, UID estimated between 15 and 18. Kathy was 5 feet 4 inches tall and 130 pounds, UID estimated at 5 feet 5 inches tall and weight couldn’t be estimated.

The protruding front teeth and nose can be seen in one of Kathy’s photo. Or at least they look protruding to me?? JMO Someone with a better eye for these things can hopefully lend an opinion :)

According to Charley Project, Kathy had become involved with a rough crowd and left upset the day of her disappearance, telling her family she’d never see them again.

Kathy Sue Wilcox – The Charley Project

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Attachments

• FB2E7DEA-959C-4370-9A75-A5F859E1C2FB.jpeg
    FB2E7DEA-959C-4370-9A75-A5F859E1C2FB.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 9
I'd say I was size 4.5 when I was 11-14 or so, so I imagine she's probably younger.

I think I was around 14-15 before I finally grew up to women's sizes, but I was one of the last in my class still wearing "little girl" shoes :p .

They estimate 15 as the lower end of her age range, but I wouldn't be surprised if she's a year or two younger than that, or else small for her age.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back