NV NV - Las Vegas, WhtMale 45-60, UP9009, hanged from billboard, poss from Europe, Jan'97

Imo this is definitely Elvin Crist. The note was a lie to make sure it was never connected.

1675194947022.png1675194954455.png

Imo this is definitely Elvin Crist. The note was a lie to make sure it was never connected.
The weight is a little off 155 vs 177 and doe has hazel eyes and Elvin has brown but I think it’s a pretty solid link.

The note is summarized in this thread in one of the comments.

"Our records indicate that on January 19, 1997, the decedent was found west of Industrial Avenue, north of Spring Mountain, hanging from a billboard (within the structure). A suicide note was found. He had indicated that he did not want to be identified. He claimed both his parents were deceased, he had not spoken to any of his family in over 10 years and he had destroyed or disposed of all of his personal belongings and identification. He had lived in many different countries and had been educated in Europe. Notation from our since retired pathologist - "Review of the suicide note would indicate that he was not British. His use of the English language is not consistent with the conventional British education. He claims to have been born and educated in Europe but he does not specify which country/countries. He states that during the past 30 years, he has lived on three continents and worked in many cities. This is at least consistent with his age in his fifties." We sent his prints to BHS Homeland Security along with local and FBI nationwide AFIS and there were no matches."

Last edited:
A few random thoughts:
Crist was mentioned much earlier as a match, but was he ever submitted?
The time frame fits.
The glasses recovered with the UID look similar to the ones Crist wore.
Does the UID's smallpox vax scar tell us anything about age range and country of origin?

Guys!! What do you think?
I think Crist looks very close. There are 3 things that give me pause: 1) The length of the front teeth doesn’t seem to match. Crist has much longer front compared with second teeth. But the postmortem photo may just not show the teeth clearly. 2) Crist looks like he’s receding and graying more at the left temple. It would be unusual, but not impossible to grow in and darken a receding hairline. 3) The decedent’s eyebrows look very different to me. Jmo. But I do think Crist is possible.

I wonder if there is a better quality photo of belongings of the Doe? It's so small and I want a better look.

Edit to add:

Has anyone found the location of " west of Industrial Avenue, north of Spring Mountain" ? I don't see these roads intersecting, and I've only found an S Industrial Road. Anyone have better luck?

Last edited:
Today is the first day I've viewed this thread. A couple of MPs have been suggested candidates but I can't see them as the JD. Mostly because their lifestyle doesn't seem to jibe with someone who would commit suicide in Las Vegas. And other various reasons; hairline, hair texture, skin tone, teeth. And for me, I agree with a poster who said much earlier they thought he may have been Jewish or Italian. That's the first thing I thought of when I viewed the PM photo.

I used to know this Italian guy whose dad used to have one of those little Japanese paring knives. They grew grapes in their backyard and he used it to cut the grapes from the vines. He also used it to remove skin from peaches because he loved peaches but hated the fuzz on the skin. He used it to eat apples, too, slicing off bits to eat rather than biting into them.

And former member Owsi Dooger mentioned the pens and the the Casio watch with a calculator and how many gamblers carried those items when he live in LV. Some of the possible suggestions don't strike me as individuals who just up and left home to become a gambler in Vegas, especially if they never exhibited that behavior before.

I'm also questioning his belongings that were found near the body, not on the body. I find that kind of odd. If he was going to commit suicide and decided to remove all evidence of his identity by getting rid of his id or any other items that could identify him why would he keep some things that could possibly give clues to his identify? And if he just thought the items he chose to keep were representative of many hard core gamblers why not just leave them in his coat or jacket pockets, why dump them on the ground? It makes no sense to me, although people who commit suicide can engage in strange rituals.

I would like to review the contents of his suicide letter to identify the script of his writing to get a handle on where he may have lived or been educated but I'd like to know what he used to hang himself. If those huge billboards weren't easily accessible how did he get up there? What did he use? A rope? A bedsheet? A tie? Something just doesn't add up to me. IMO

I think Crist looks very close. There are 3 things that give me pause: 1) The length of the front teeth doesn’t seem to match. Crist has much longer front compared with second teeth. But the postmortem photo may just not show the teeth clearly. 2) Crist looks like he’s receding and graying more at the left temple. It would be unusual, but not impossible to grow in and darken a receding hairline. 3) The decedent’s eyebrows look very different to me. Jmo. But I do think Crist is possible.
Yes, I was thinking pretty much the same. Besides that John Doe had his appendix removed. We don't know that for Crist. And Crist had a pierced ear. We don't know that for John Doe. It's not mentioned and it seems to me it would be a helpful identifier, so why leave it out of the description.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid
Back