NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kelly, why would he leave his car by the mail boxes if he were house sitting?

True. In fact, if someone hired a house sitter, they'd want a car parked in the driveway to reinforce the fact that someone was there.

I've never understood why he left the car there. Double driveways & street parking. It's almost like he was saying "I don't want to be a bother."

...or "I'm going to be gone awhile, so I can't block anyone's driveway."

I don't think street parking is really allowed; it's even mentioned in some real estate ads that there's no street parking.

That particular parking place is the *only* one like it, in all of SCA. It's in the only cul de sac that's not completely surrounded by homes, so he wasn't in front of anyone's home, nor blocking their driveway.

If he found that spot at random, he was lucky. He'd have had to search all through SCA to find such a spot in a noncommercial area. It makes sense that someone told him where to park...and of course, he could have been there previously.

True. In fact, if someone hired a house sitter, they'd want a car parked in the driveway to reinforce the fact that someone was there.

I don't think street parking is really allowed; it's even mentioned in some real estate ads that there's no street parking.

That particular parking place is the *only* one like it, in all of SCA. It's in the only cul de sac that's not completely surrounded by homes, so he wasn't in front of anyone's home, nor blocking their driveway.

If he found that spot at random, he was lucky. He'd have had to search all through SCA to find such a spot in a noncommercial area. It makes sense that someone told him where to park...and of course, he could have been there previously.

Definitely NOT random. Unless he drove around SCA between his phone call with GW and noon. He did seem to have some free time - near as we can tell.

It's possible - but I don't believe the HOA would know. They're not quite THAT controlling. But a neighbor might have known. One of our (elderly) next door neighbors always lets us know when she's going to be gone. The other wouldn't give us the time of day.

The Oct 2010 SCA HOA Newsletter highlights the security patrol -- and it's pretty interesting. See page 7.

"They provide daily/weekly house check services for vacationing residents."
(In other words, there's no real need to hire a housesitter because the volunteer security people will take care of things. There's also automated alerts, emails, 911 flashing lights, etc.

"checking out reports of suspicious characters or vehicles"

No soliciting.
Besides the fact that no one reported receiving a flyer, some busy-body would have reported it, if he had done so ;)

I've never understood why he left the car there. Double driveways & street parking. It's almost like he was saying "I don't want to be a bother."

I never said that he was house sitting. I said that he went to go visit someone who way house sitting.

Why did he park his car in the cul de sac? That's easy. Because it is an over 55 community with strict HOA rules about parking cars in front of homes and parking at the cul de sac would not be blocking any homes. That is an easy one. I go to visit my wife at work all the time, and you cannot park on the street at all but either in designated parking or you get ticketed. I am sure that is why he parked there or was told to park there as to avoid a ticket or being towed. This would make sense because if someone was looking to do him harm then parking the car in front of the home would only bring attention to themselves.

The more I think about it and the more I have viewed this film. I see a man with a purposeful walk. Someone who is heading to someone's house.

I believe someone got Steven Koecher.

Kelly

The Oct 2010 SCA HOA Newsletter highlights the security patrol -- and it's pretty interesting. See page 7.

"They provide daily/weekly house check services for vacationing residents."
(In other words, there's no real need to hire a housesitter because the volunteer security people will take care of things. There's also automated alerts, emails, 911 flashing lights, etc.

"checking out reports of suspicious characters or vehicles"

No soliciting.
Besides the fact that no one reported receiving a flyer, some busy-body would have reported it, if he had done so ;)

Ummmm, ok. Steven's car was there for days. And try finding a write-up in that "news" letter mentioning that a young man went missing there.

I wouldn't trust those guys with my HOME! Of course, if you had a child or grandchild "housesitting," you wouldn't alert the HOA anyway. But I guarantee, someone in the neighborhood would know if you had that going on.

I had wondered something similar -- not meeting a housesitter, but meeting someone who works in the area. There's at least a couple of houses where someone is ill enough to need full time nursing care, and a couple of others where there's a business registered out of the house. "I get off work at noon. Park and meet me at the house, and we'll go out to lunch."

I hever once suggested that Steven Koecher was house sitting. I simply said that he was there to visit someone who was staying there as a guest and the resident was probably away.

The community that my wife works for has the same security measures and there are relatives that stay at the homes all the time when the resident is away. My spouse said it is very common.

Either way I never suggested that Steven Koecher was house sitting, I didn't even imply it.

Kelly

It's possible - but I don't believe the HOA would know. They're not quite THAT controlling. But a neighbor might have known. One of our (elderly) next door neighbors always lets us know when she's going to be gone. The other wouldn't give us the time of day.

I'm sorry HOA would not know but security might know along with the community office. Again my spouse works at an over 55 community in Huntington Beach and she told me that they are to be notified if someone is going to be staying at the home and the resident is going to be gone.

My spouse told me that they have several people that leave every weekend and one man allows his grandson to stay at his house on the weekends.

Again they have all the same security procedures as this community.

Kelly

I bet that finding out who was gone that weekend of the 12th,13th would yield a good clue.

Every single person who I have shown the video too-even people who don't know the case-have all said the same. The man in the video is going to someone's house.

Whose house did he go to? I heard that Steven Koecher once parked his car a long distance away to get to an event because he didn't want to have to wait for a light to change.

I'm sorry HOA would not know but security might know along with the community office. Again my spouse works at an over 55 community in Huntington Beach and she told me that they are to be notified if someone is going to be staying at the home and the resident is going to be gone.

My spouse told me that they have several people that leave every weekend and one man allows his grandson to stay at his house on the weekends.

Kelly

While I respect your personal POV, this is not Huntington Beach. And the security at SCA is through the HOA.

Maybe he was told to park it there. Maybe the person at the home said park it there. Could have been he (or she ) did not want neighbors to know they were using the house. maybe sk thought he was going to meet about a job, business investment, or meet with Gw and his friends.

Kelly

Something I wanted to add to that. My husband and i owned a home that we used just in the winters in Arizona. We found out our niece was getting in and having parties, because she would check with family (discreetly) to see when anyone was coming down.

I have mentioned here before, years ago, a girl was killed in St. George. The fellow that killed her,knew his grandparents (who were snow birds) were gone from the home. He picked up the girl, brought her to the home, and killed her.

Many take advantage of elderly grand parents, other relatives, friends, and parents. Maybe the person who owns that home, DID NOT KNOW ANYONE was even in it.

I bet that finding out who was gone that weekend of the 12th,13th would yield a good clue.

Every single person who I have shown the video too-even people who don't know the case-have all said the same. The man in the video is going to someone's house.

Whose house did he go to? I heard that Steven Koecher once parked his car a long distance away to get to an event because he didn't want to have to wait for a light to change.

I like your theory, Kelly.....astute, yes.

Ummmm, ok. Steven's car was there for days. And try finding a write-up in that "news" letter mentioning that a young man went missing there.

That the kind of announcement that's handled as a paid ad; kind of like weddings, funerals, etc. They're certainly not going to publicize a missing persons case in their midst.

I wouldn't trust those guys with my HOME!

I'd trust them, more than almost anyone else. It's unlikely that the Elderly Patrol's going to be selling drugs or holding wild parties. Plus, they don't have a key; they have an alert system.

Of course, if you had a child or grandchild "housesitting," you wouldn't alert the HOA anyway. But I guarantee, someone in the neighborhood would know if you had that going on.

That's the first thing I'd do: alert the HOA that a stranger was staying in my house, so they don't call the cops on my relative.

Well....that's about all there is, in that subdivision: homes. 200+ of them in the Overlook Village subdivision, with one inlet/outlet (except for the emergency outlet he was parked by).
Unless he got through one of the fences that goes to the golf course, or looped around and left the subdivision.

The car could have been left there on purpose, to throw everything off.

Can you tell us more about that event? I can't find a reference to it anywhere, and we're always looking for new information.

All I can find, is gsmith's post here on Websleuths that mentioned he parked down the block and walked back.
I know the destination, and there's a reason to walk back: the "block" is about four blocks long.

I'm really interested in finding out about that other event, and not wanting to wait at a light.

Thank you.

Maybe he was told to park it there. Maybe the person at the home said park it there. Could have been he (or she ) did not want neighbors to know they were using the house. maybe sk thought he was going to meet about a job, business investment, or meet with Gw and his friends.

Or maybe it was left "for a few days" in a residential neighborhood, because all of the commercial parking lots have security cameras ;)

If Steven disappeared with someone, I doubt he was in SCA for longer than an hour. Those cell phone hits, trailing out away from the neighborhood, say that someone took his phone in that direction.

We're circling back to the beginning....for the fourth time ;)

You're 31 today, and you've been gone almost a year.

Dallin's son is likely walking and has teeth.
Your family misses you.
Lots of moms and dads feel their pain.

Come on home.
No one cares why you left; they just want you back.

WE don't even care "why", as long as we know you're safe.

I had wondered something similar -- not meeting a housesitter, but meeting someone who works in the area. There's at least a couple of houses where someone is ill enough to need full time nursing care, and a couple of others where there's a business registered out of the house. "I get off work at noon. Park and meet me at the house, and we'll go out to lunch."

The problem with the housesitter theory, is that Steven disappeared when the snowbirds would be in town. If there's unoccupied homes in that area, in the winter, they're likely for sale. With the Elderly Patrol paying attention to any activities...24/7 (as stated in the newsletter).

If a home's supposed to be unoccupied for any reason, lights on and off are a big tip-off.

The neighbors in SCA *do* watch each other. Why, they're often appalled! There's been several surveys of the neighborhood. Steven's family (at least twice), Steven's dad, the PI, and LE (various).

Remember when gsmith told us (here on Websleuths, searchable) that he and others had talked to Mr Security? And how they knew everything that went on in the neighborhood? They told about how people came and went "at all hours" at 2260 EL ... and that the home was for rent.

Of course, the 2260 EL family had moved ... but just a few blocks away.

With all of that canvassing, and focus on the very few homes on EL, nothing's ever turned up.

I just think if there's a crime, it happened elsewhere.
I see SCA only as a meeting spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member