NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya know, people do still use CASH. I've said it before and I'll say it again, no one knows how much cash Steven had before or when he disappeared. He was working in a door-to-door business where cash would have been used - more often than not, IMO. And we still don't know why he was travelling before he went missing or why he was in the Vegas area. It could have been a lucrative endeavor. Sorry.

Sure, it could be. We know Travis had paid him some cash, and we're trying to figure how when/how much. BUT....all the appointments went through Travis' phone number. That means dispatching, invoices, estimates and payments were tracked by Travis.

I just don't believe we should focus all of our efforts on the receipts we do know about and the absence of same since 12/13.

-----> Come over this way (reining you in). i

We're not -- I think we just learned something else: it's very likely that Steven wasn't hanging out in Vegas. I'm not talking about the 13th and after. I'm talking about the previous weeks and months. We wondered about gambling (with cash) and other things - right?

If he'd spent even a few hours there, or went there a few times, *something* would show up. Fast food. Gasoline purchase. Tums. Beverages. Convenience store. WalMart, KMart, etc. Receipts in the car, or in the apartment. Cash or card. He'd have talked to people. Likely gone with a friend.

There's been nothing show up. He was using cash and credit cards in Nevada and Utah. Why would he hide them if he drove down to Vegas?

Sure, it could be. We know Travis had paid him some cash, and we're trying to figure how when/how much. BUT....all the appointments went through Travis' phone number. That means dispatching, invoices, estimates and payments were tracked by Travis.

-----> Come over this way (reining you in). i

We're not -- I think we just learned something else: it's very likely that Steven wasn't hanging out in Vegas. I'm not talking about the 13th and after. I'm talking about the previous weeks and months. We wondered about gambling (with cash) and other things - right?

If he'd spent even a few hours there, or went there a few times, *something* would show up. Fast food. Gasoline purchase. Tums. Beverages. Convenience store. WalMart, KMart, etc. Receipts in the car, or in the apartment. Cash or card. He'd have talked to people. Likely gone with a friend.

There's been nothing show up. He was using cash and credit cards in Nevada and Utah. Why would he hide them if he drove down to Vegas?

Totally get what you're saying....but WE DON'T KNOW THAT ALL THE BUSINESS WENT THROUGH TRAVIS!!!! I hate to imply that Steven was dishonest, but he was working a job where he could easily have been working "off the books," so to speak. He may very well have been performing the services he was being paid to "market" and Travis would have been none the wiser.

No one but Steven knows if he had cash that cannot be accounted for. No one. And if wanted to hide previous trips to Vegas, he could have used cash and tossed the receipts. The only clue that may confirm such travels are the cell phone pings - to which we do not have access.

I asked Naegle today if the phone records have been released, and she says they have not -- so there are NO phone records available that tell us where Steven was, and when.

Thanks to RubyRed for finding and posting this story! Apparently, Google News doesn't pick up the LVRJ.

Why don't they release the phone records? Do you have to live in Florida to make that happen...seems like the police there release EVERYTHING ASAP, and in most cases it has been helpful and encourages non-profit organizations to come in and help with searches, etc.

Are they sorting through the phone records, videos, computer and bank records like they did his drawers. If so, we may finally get some answers in the next few months.

For the sleuths who are in contact with LE, are they the ones holding back the information that you are aware of?

I don't get the impression that they are? I am starting to think, especially b/c of the constant denials of nothing "strange" that there was something. And maybe they feel OK with the denials b/c whatever they found is not necessarily "strange" or "alternative" to the average person...just to their view of the "perfect" family that had the perfect son...who couldn't hold a job or pay rent.

They haven't even made mention that the fact he was about to get kicked of his house and was driving around endlessly was a "little" strange. The family has actually said that was "normal". I think they are trying to not only convince the public, but themselves that everything was "normal" and in return are doing a total disservice to those who really want to find their son.

Totally get what you're saying....but WE DON'T KNOW THAT ALL THE BUSINESS WENT THROUGH TRAVIS!!!! I hate to imply that Steven was dishonest, but he was working a job where he could easily have been working "off the books," so to speak. He may very well have been performing the services he was being paid to "market" and Travis would have been none the wiser.

No one but Steven knows if he had cash that cannot be accounted for. No one. And if wanted to hide previous trips to Vegas, he could have used cash and tossed the receipts. The only clue that may confirm such travels are the cell phone pings - to which we do not have access.

I've always had the impression that he was marketing for Travis, not actually doing hard labor, which is why it had Travis as the contact on the fliers. When Steven helped those girls, I know it was assumed that he was passing out fliers...was it "assumed" or where there actually fliers at some of the houses? Maybe there is something in that neighborhood, that would/could be connected to the neighborhood in Vegas????? If he wasn't passing out fliers, but saw those girls b/c he was "walking" by...maybe he parked in a "cul-de-sac" that time also and was fortunate enough to make it back to his car. I would hate to assume that it was "assumed" he was in the area passing out fliers, and this whole time we have been missing a potential clue.

Laytonian...have you seen confirmation that there fliers at other houses in that area? Do you happen to have any information on the street where this took place? Maybe we need a google map of all the owners in that area too???? Maybe the same job opportunity exists in on both street.

Was Steven able to draw unemployment when he left the newspaper and/or when he left Matchbin?

Has anyone seen any evidence of real job hunting? Has the family found resumes, applications that are filled in and ready to go, or any conversation during the Thanksgiving holiday that talked about his job hunt? Anything on his computer?
Has he interviewed for anything that the family is aware of?

Oh, come on. Be POSITIVE!

Powell:
I haven't been out to the west desert area for a month or so, but the snow out there was the same as in my yard (over 5000' elevation). My yard still has two-three feet of snow in places, so if Susan's out there, she could still be covered. It's not recreation time yet; once people are out there, on their ATVs and camping, something will turn up. It took four months to find Laci Peterson, and Scott Peterson was charged as soon as Laci's remains were ID'd.

Koecher:
I don't think there's a criminal mastermind or vast conspiracy here. It's just that it's one person (if he harmed himself) or two (if this is a crime). Not a lost cause; it's just going to be slow.

The St George LE were mentioned, because the call (supposedly) "from a member of Susan's family" came into them.
If that was a family member, it was a Powell and not a Cox; more likely, it was one of the many conspiracy theorists who think their theory isn't getting a fair hearing.

If you goose a sitting duck, he will jump and quack. Then you just watch to see how high and how loud.

Just some thoughts....my family doesn't know everyone I was connected to in college. Maybe someone that Steven knew from BYUI or BYU has parents or grandparents who live in the SCA neighborhood, and Steven was meeting up with an old pal from college? Maybe for a job lead?

So many questions!

Regarding cell phone records: Do we know for sure that there was a subpeona for phone records? Has the cell phone service not released them yet, or LE hasn't released them to the family?

It can take up to 30 days to receive phone records from the cell phone carrier, but we don't know the date of the subpeona.

okay, I am going to ask. What is a group bank account?

Yeah, what *is* that? It sounds very creepy if "the whole family is on a group bank account" - does Mom and Dad get to see their kids' expenditure? Eek. Maybe Steven *did* run away to start a new life?

I'm a friend of Steven. I met him while working a graveyard shift at FedEx ground a few years ago. I just wanted to share a few things about him. I talked to him last before he moved to St. George.

He is the nicest guy I know. He really couldn't hurt a soul. In fact my mom recently reminded me that when I first met him that I was concerned for his safety because he seemed a bit naive to the evils of the world. He just finds the good in people and I felt someone could take advantage of him.

He was one of my groomsmen. In fact he arrived an hour late to the events even after I reminded him a number of times of the correct place and time. He is very smart but needs time to gather his thoughts. Sometimes he would be in the middle of a story and all of a sudden pause for up to 20 seconds.

I usually hung out with him one on one so we talked about deep subjects. We had similar situations since we both had degrees and worked crappy jobs. He seemed concerned in our conversations that he wouldn't be able to support a family even if he could find the right girl to marry. A year ago I encouraged him to go back to school even if he had to live with his parents to afford it. He didn't like the idea at all. He seemed to not want to live with his parents nor go through the difficulty of school again.

He is very tuned to spiritual matters. Within a year before he moved to St. George he broke up with a girl because he felt god didn't want him to be with her. He was very troubled by it since she was just so perfect for him. During that time he told me he thought he had already missed the chance to be with god's chosen girl for him. He had had the chance but didn't go for her when she was available.

When he moved it was sudden. I didn't get a chance to really say goodbye in person. While down in St. George I called and texted him a few times but never heard from him. I just figured he never got my texts because he complained once how his phone didn't get my texts.

Here are a few other things about him:

He is a great tenis player. I never beat him. He could hit a ball incredibly hard.

He liked to play guitar and sing but I think he realized he wasn't good enough to make a career out of it. I am big into music and recording and he was a bit embarrassed to record.

When we ate out he'd get meals of only a few bucks to save money. He once "splurged" and got an 8 dollar meal at a fastfood place.

Once we met at a restaurant and he parked his car down the block. I thought it was so strange. He said he had missed the turn. I couldn't understand why he didn't just make a U turn since the street wasn't that busy.

During a few conversations with him he expressed the conflict in his mind. He said at times he felt uneasy and anxious with his day to day activities. I remember him saying he was trying a medication to help. It might have been a one time experiment though.

We'd always talk on the phone with a Russian accent. It was silly but it was fun. Steve is such an easy going guy.
He loved going to sporting games. He loved to do group activities.

gsmith, thank you for coming here and posting about Steven. I think we can understand what he's like and after a few weeks of looking for him (online) we've all come to care what happens/ed to him.

It is a requirement of the boards though that anyone who is related/invovled/close to a case contact Tricia and confirm your identity. You can find her contact details on the main page (I think!).

ETA: here are her details:
Tricia Griffith
tgrif@xmission.com

Please stick around and post and help us find Steven!

Maybe just the word REWARD -- since the amounts often change?

I was thinking we ought to add the reward info as well. I'll add it and re-post later on this morning.

Edited to add a big welcome to gsmith! Your insights about Steven are VERY candid and helpful!

:Welcome-12-june: gsmith. Your insights will be very valuable. We all care what happened to Steven. Glad you decided to post.

I always wondered if Steven had some form of autism. Because autism is a spectrum, from very mild to almost catatonic. Also the pausing while he was in the middle of a sentence ? It sounds somehow like the wiring in his brain was different from most people's. His naivite makes him so vulnerable.

Has anyone seen any evidence of real job hunting? Has the family found resumes, applications that are filled in and ready to go, or any conversation during the Thanksgiving holiday that talked about his job hunt? Anything on his computer?
Has he interviewed for anything that the family is aware of?

He left a pile of unsent job applications behind in his apartment. We don't know the format, if they were specifically addressed or other details of them.
Yes, we've asked.

I'm a friend of Steven. I met him while working a graveyard shift at FedEx ground a few years ago. I just wanted to share a few things about him. I talked to him last before he moved to St. George.

He is the nicest guy I know. He really couldn't hurt a soul. In fact my mom recently reminded me that when I first met him that I was concerned for his safety because he seemed a bit naive to the evils of the world. He just finds the good in people and I felt someone could take advantage of him.

He was one of my groomsmen. In fact he arrived an hour late to the events even after I reminded him a number of times of the correct place and time. He is very smart but needs time to gather his thoughts. Sometimes he would be in the middle of a story and all of a sudden pause for up to 20 seconds.

I usually hung out with him one on one so we talked about deep subjects. We had similar situations since we both had degrees and worked crappy jobs. He seemed concerned in our conversations that he wouldn't be able to support a family even if he could find the right girl to marry. A year ago I encouraged him to go back to school even if he had to live with his parents to afford it. He didn't like the idea at all. He seemed to not want to live with his parents nor go through the difficulty of school again.

He is very tuned to spiritual matters. Within a year before he moved to St. George he broke up with a girl because he felt god didn't want him to be with her. He was very troubled by it since she was just so perfect for him. During that time he told me he thought he had already missed the chance to be with god's chosen girl for him. He had had the chance but didn't go for her when she was available.

When he moved it was sudden. I didn't get a chance to really say goodbye in person. While down in St. George I called and texted him a few times but never heard from him. I just figured he never got my texts because he complained once how his phone didn't get my texts.

Here are a few other things about him:

He is a great tenis player. I never beat him. He could hit a ball incredibly hard.

He liked to play guitar and sing but I think he realized he wasn't good enough to make a career out of it. I am big into music and recording and he was a bit embarrassed to record.

When we ate out he'd get meals of only a few bucks to save money. He once "splurged" and got an 8 dollar meal at a fastfood place.

Once we met at a restaurant and he parked his car down the block. I thought it was so strange. He said he had missed the turn. I couldn't understand why he didn't just make a U turn since the street wasn't that busy.

During a few conversations with him he expressed the conflict in his mind. He said at times he felt uneasy and anxious with his day to day activities. I remember him saying he was trying a medication to help. It might have been a one time experiment though.

We'd always talk on the phone with a Russian accent. It was silly but it was fun. Steve is such an easy going guy.
He loved going to sporting games. He loved to do group activities.

Thank you for joining and giving us a little personal insight into Steve.

We know he was getting cheap fast food meals just before he disappeared, so this sounds like it was something he always did, nothing new. Interesting that he parked down the block when he met you at the restaurant. I wonder if he just liked to walk and made it a practice to park farther away. The anxiety he talked to you about is kind of telling, too.

You have confirmed some of the naivete some of us feel Steve had. I really think he got into the wrong situation, through no fault of his own.

gsmith, thank you for coming here and posting about Steven. I think we can understand what he's like and after a few weeks of looking for him (online) we've all come to care what happens/ed to him.

It is a requirement of the boards though that anyone who is related/invovled/close to a case contact Tricia and confirm your identity. You can find her contact details on the main page (I think!).

ETA: here are her details:
Tricia Griffith
tgrif@xmission.com

Please stick around and post and help us find Steven!

Really? I can't find that requirement in the TOS.
Terms of Service Terms of Service - Long, Detailed Version - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I'm not saying it's not there; it's just something I've not stumbled across when I've been looking for other rules.

So that means BigTexasTom, Naegle, and those others here who have a one degree of separation with Steven and/or his family, are here "illegally"?

Yeah, what *is* that? It sounds very creepy if "the whole family is on a group bank account" - does Mom and Dad get to see their kids' expenditure? Eek. Maybe Steven *did* run away to start a new life?

OK, I got the word on this from Naegle.

"The way my aunt explained it was they all have an account with the same bank and they're linked so that they all can look at each other's bank accounts and move money around ect. Steven also has a private account that his parents don't see and he used most frequently. Yes, of course we've gone through that account as well and there weren't any vegas charges."

Thank you, gsmith. You've described what many of us have wondered about, and filled in some gaps for us. I don't think even his parents knew he was "experimenting" with some sort of medication....but after all, he was an adult for the past 12 years and in many ways, very private.

Could you tell us when you worked with Steven at FedEx? We've seen mentions of a construction job on the FB page. All we formally know of, in his work history, is what's on his LinkedIn profile.

Thank you also for explaning the "finding the right girl". Is it at all possible that Steven himself felt pushed away from those relationships?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix