NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not realize it was so difficult to track someone's SSN information. So in theory, Steven could be using his SSN right now, and there's no way LE/the family could find out about it? Very interesting, although to be honest I don't think he's using his SSN, wherever he is.

Identity theft is easy enough, without loosening privacy policies. Steven's family really has no right to know where he is, because he's an adult and free to move around as he wishes. It's good etiquette to keep your family informed ... but when the choices are "he's dead/he left on his own accord", I don't think poor etiquette is the problem.

Great news about the sightings at Home Depot and Best Buy. Interesting coincidence that both sightings are independent of each other, in different cities (right? one in Las Vegas and the other in Sacramento?)

A sighting in Sacramento? When did we learn that? Got a news story that talks about it?

The Clipper story about "tips" mentioned Home Depot in Vegas, and then Naegle said that one of the tips her uncle reviewed in Vegas, was Best Buy.

... it's pretty obvious what happened to SP and I don't think getting the word out in the Midwest and on the east coast about her disappearance is going to help find her. I think we all know what happened there.

SP's friends & family will disagree; they're thrilled that people in Asia are "looking for Susan". (I know, I know.)

, I don't think Steven DID fit in in Utah/the LDS community. That's probably why he missed Brazil so much - perhaps he felt more accepted and appreciated there. If Steven did run off, I think it was probably for the best. He needed to go some place (hey, like here in NYC for example!) where one is surrounded by different cultures and ways of life, and where he would feel free to explore spiritually, sexually, musically, socially, etc.
When Steven was in Brazil, he was in a very structured environment. He would never be alone (missionaries work in pairs and "police" each other), he'd live in a structured environment, there would be strict supervision by the Mission President and others, and although they may see some interesting things, it's doubtful he interacted.

Not supposed to date while you're on a mission (although it's not uncommon to read wedding announcements about a missionary to a certain foreign country marrying someone from that country). Can't even swim while you're on a mission.

IMO, Steven was in his perfect environment: didn't have to worry about rent or expenses (parents and contributions fund the missionaries), structured environment, represented something he was proud of, didn't have to look for a job, and it would undoubtedly be a beautiful place to be.

When I read about him wanting to go back to Brazil, I never read about what he wanted to do there. I think he wanted to go back to "that time". But I could be very wrong, of course.

ETA: Hey, did Naegle say whether the family is accepting the services of that PI who offered to do some work on Steven pro bono???

Naegle didn't say whether they accepted the PI's offer. I just hope they don't give out a lot of personal/investigative information to anyone willing to work "for free".....because there's been at least one "icky" phone call from an amateur "learning to be a PI" wanting to work for free.

I think Rolf would be the decider on that. Hopefully, his police beat training will kick in and he'll look at what they want versus what they're willing to do. (The info Naegle passed along was gained during a family get-together over the weekend...and if Rolf was there, he'd just gotten back from Vegas).

I kinda think the family needs a PR rep, more than a PI ;)

It doesn't sound like the sightings turned up anything.

It doesn't sound like the sightings turned up anything.

They usually don't, but they can't be ignored.

Steven's a nice-looking, but average-looking guy. His most distinctive feature is (apparently) the birthmark(s)s on his abdomen shaped like a Nike "swoosh". But we don't even know how large they are!

Plus, Steven's unlikely to go around barechested (unless he sheds his temple garments for some reason)....so we'd never see the birthmark.

Most often, we see people from the rear or the side (when they're walking towards us, we see them for a much shorter time). If you've noticed the few pictures of Steven's profile, he has what appears to be a slightly-beakish nose. THAT might be his most recognizable feature.

(I think it's apparent in one of the jumping-into-the-water pictures on the BH7th ward page)

A girl I have known here in Vegas for about eleven years posted both of these on her Facebook site today. I will email her to find out. The Northwest is in the exact opposite area of town as SCA but these postings kind of jumped out at me.

VEGAS: Here's an alert from Metro Northwest Command. Good info no matter what area you live in though. If you'd like to receive these type alerts from Metro, sign up at nixle.com/register. Report suspicious individuals knocking on doors with "reasons" to gain entry into your home. Call ASAP to 3-1-1.

The Northwest Area Command is getting increased calls about these situations but people are not calling 3-1-1 when it is occurring. When someone knocks on your door with a suspicious story and tries to gain access into your home or they request money from you call 3-1-1 right then. Available officers can be dispatched into the neighborhood to make ... See Morecontact with these individuals but you have to call when it happens - not a day later. If the individual seems threatening or will not go away dial 9-1-1. Make us aware so we can respond. Never open your door to a stranger!

A girl I have known here in Vegas for about eleven years posted both of these on her Facebook site today. I will email her to find out. The Northwest is in the exact opposite area of town as SCA but these postings kind of jumped out at me.

VEGAS: Here's an alert from Metro Northwest Command. Good info no matter what area you live in though. If you'd like to receive these type alerts from Metro, sign up at nixle.com/register. Report suspicious individuals knocking on doors with "reasons" to gain entry into your home. Call ASAP to 3-1-1.

The Northwest Area Command is getting increased calls about these situations but people are not calling 3-1-1 when it is occurring. When someone knocks on your door with a suspicious story and tries to gain access into your home or they request money from you call 3-1-1 right then. Available officers can be dispatched into the neighborhood to make ... See Morecontact with these individuals but you have to call when it happens - not a day later. If the individual seems threatening or will not go away dial 9-1-1. Make us aware so we can respond. Never open your door to a stranger!

What's the theory here? That Steven was knocking on doors in SCA, and someone called 311? Or should have? Or an alert went out about him doing it?

ETA:
The "Beer Can Beach" case north of Sacramento might be back on the
table but still seems very unlikely.

What's the theory here? That Steven was knocking on doors in SCA, and someone called 311? Or should have? Or an alert went out about him doing it?

I'm not advancing any theory. I'm firmly settled into my idea that Steven was doing something illegal in the area and it most likely had to do with drugs. But, I know some others here have advanced ideas concerning him possibly going door to door for work, especially since he had the flyers in his car. And that would probably require him knocking on doors.

I am going to get more info from my friend who posted those notices. But, I am eager to hear what the modus operandi of these people knocking on these doors is. Does it have anything to do with cleaning windows? Cleaning blinds? Parking down the street and then walking thru the neighborhood? I just want to see if anything matches up to what Steven did.

Maybe it's just me being overtly "knee jerky" but gotta turn over every stone.

They usually don't, but they can't be ignored.

Steven's a nice-looking, but average-looking guy. His most distinctive feature is (apparently) the birthmark(s)s on his abdomen shaped like a Nike "swoosh". But we don't even know how large they are!

Plus, Steven's unlikely to go around barechested (unless he sheds his temple garments for some reason)....so we'd never see the birthmark.

Most often, we see people from the rear or the side (when they're walking towards us, we see them for a much shorter time). If you've noticed the few pictures of Steven's profile, he has what appears to be a slightly-beakish nose. THAT might be his most recognizable feature.

(I think it's apparent in one of the jumping-into-the-water pictures on the BH7th ward page)

ITA. I look for him everywhere I go and sometimes feel so hopeless about it. I actually do focus on the nose and chin, but his overall appearance may be drastically different by now, depending on what he's been up to.

ETA:
The "Beer Can Beach" case north of Sacramento might be back on the
table but still seems very unlikely.

It does seem unlikely. But the story I read said they believe the body was dismembered surgically. WTH? Then tossed piece by piece into a waterway? That seems unlikely too!

I'm not advancing any theory. I'm firmly settled into my idea that Steven was doing something illegal in the area and it most likely had to do with drugs. But, I know some others here have advanced ideas concerning him possibly going door to door for work, especially since he had the flyers in his car. And that would probably require him knocking on doors.

I am going to get more info from my friend who posted those notices. But, I am eager to hear what the modus operandi of these people knocking on these doors is. Does it have anything to do with cleaning windows? Cleaning blinds? Parking down the street and then walking thru the neighborhood? I just want to see if anything matches up to what Steven did.

These are usually people either casing the house for later burglaries or doing a home invasion robbery on the spot. Sometimes they are doing a very aggressive form of forcing elderly people to buy magazine subscriptions they don't want or other items they can't use. Once they get inside, they refuse to leave, keeping the people captive until they agree to whatever. They come to a neighborhood, and they have a lookout who lets them know if any neighbors call the cops. It's a kind of scam. I've read about this in other cities.

A couple years ago, I spotted a woman on my street when I got home from work. I pulled into the garage and closed the door, but as soon as I got into the house, she was knocking on my front door. She said her son needed asthma medication NOW and she didn't get paid until the end of the week. She said she needed $10 and would bring it back as soon as she got paid. Now, I knew this woman was not from my neighborhood and I trust NO ONE, but being the Mom of an asthmatic child, I didn't want to be the one to come between her kid and his medication, so I gave her the money.

About 15 minutes later, I had to go back out and dang if I didn't see her still knocking on doors all over the place! My son tried to track her down, but I figured she needed the money more than I did!

I didn't feel threatened by her enough to call 311 or 911 and have never had anything like that happen before or since! I can't really believe anyone would feel threatened by Steven either.

These are usually people either casing the house for later burglaries or doing a home invasion robbery on the spot. Sometimes they are doing a very aggressive form of forcing elderly people to buy magazine subscriptions they don't want or other items they can't use. Once they get inside, they refuse to leave, keeping the people captive until they agree to whatever. They come to a neighborhood, and they have a lookout who lets them know if any neighbors call the cops. It's a kind of scam. I've read about this in other cities.

OK; we talked about the magazine subscription "jobs" early on. They hire people and bus them from city to city, practically captive while paying them too little to let them escape.
I've never heard of them keeping anyone captive, though. Just annoying.

Another reason we don't open our door to ANYONE we don't know (we can see who's there - super break-in proof glass in the front door).

The leg (found four months ago) was an amputation; they haven't linked the other body parts to that case.
I get the idea that IF this is all the same case, it wasn't medical people involved.

I certainly hope not! But if it was medical people - WTH? It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds. It's a white male - that definitely has me interested.

As far as solicitors go, 99% of the people who come to our door - and there aren't many - are teenagers. I never open my door - mostly because my dog will maul whoever is on the other side!

ITA. I look for him everywhere I go and sometimes feel so hopeless about it. I actually do focus on the nose and chin, but his overall appearance may be drastically different by now, depending on what he's been up to.

I always remember when his family spent all that time at IHOP (bless their hearts!) and what came through from the reporter, was that after the man was described as putting sarah wrap on his seat, that's when they knew it wasn't Steven.
I dunno. If someone got Steven into some bad drugs (meth, etc), OCD-like symptoms wouldn't be unusual AND wouldn't have to exist beforehand. But I guess the guess was shorter than 5'8", 5'10", 5'11" Steven.

Laytonian - can you ask KC for the locations of the Home Depot and Best Buy "sightings?" It's challenging enough to be looking for Steven in every face I see in my travels, but I'd like to at least be in the right part of town!

This is the case we were discussing! I don't think they know - yet - what happened there but, I believe it's close to Sacramento.

Which is a word mentioned once in this case ;)

Seriously, Beer Can Beach on the Feather River is about 30 miles north of Sacramento. Feather runs SOUTH into the Sacramento River....so what's in that river, came from further north (unless dropped right in that exact spot).

If someone was IN Sacramento and went into a river, they'd be west or south of town.

This is the case we were discussing! I don't think they know - yet - what happened there but, I believe it's close to Sacramento.

I googled Beer can Beach when I read, Laytonians post. I put o/t because I don't think it was related I was just curious, then commented on article.

Which is a word mentioned once in this case ;)

Seriously, Beer Can Beach on the Feather River is about 30 miles north of Sacramento. Feather runs SOUTH into the Sacramento River....so what's in that river, came from further north (unless dropped right in that exact spot).

If someone was IN Sacramento and went into a river, they'd be west or south of town.

They wouldn't had to have BEEN in Sacramento, but just NEAR Sacramento. IMO. What I would consider a major commute is nothing to Californians!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500