Identified! NV - Virginia City, WhtMale body in septic tank, Aug'13 - George Webster

On the Namus site it says some soft tissue was found AND Fingerprint information is available....HOW could that be possible with such old remains? I've read about remains only being a few months old and not being able to provide prints. This is confusing me!

I am guessing here that since a septic tank is a somewhat liquid environment, very similar to a bog, really, that the body might have been relatively well preserved. Similar to the bog people they find in Europe. Quoting Wikipedia:

Unlike most ancient human remains, bog bodies have retained their skin and internal organs due to the unusual conditions of the surrounding area. These conditions include highly acidic water, low temperature, and a lack of oxygen, and combine to preserve but severely tan their skin. While the skin is well-preserved, the bones are generally not, due to the acid in the peat having dissolved the calcium phosphate of bone.
Bog body - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you, Carbuff, that is interesting! But it's crazy to think this guy could have been preserved well enough to obtain good fingerprints from.

This gentleman has finally been identified.

http://www.mynews4.com/news/story/V...tified-as-missing/prcuKHhdkkG5ZXGmoL1jzQ.cspx

Frow article regarding his identity:

In a joint news conference, the identity of the victim was revealed as George Benson Webster. Back in 1980, his now-deceased mother reported him missing.

From article, regarding circumstances of his disappearance.

Authorities said the homeowners are not suspects, and investigators need help to find out how Webster's body ended up in a septic tank. "It's believed Mr. Webster suffered blunt force trauma to his skull which ultimately led to his death," said Antinoro.

Webster was a Sun Valley resident, and was 32 years old. He was a decorated Vietnam veteran who worked as an auto mechanic. They received a tip back in the 1980's that he had been killed and dumped in a septic tank in south Reno.

Rest in peace, Mr. Webster. May the discovery of the identity of the individual who did this to you come swiftly.

R.I.P. Sir! And thank you for your service!

Our UID's page on NAMUS now lists an address for the location where he was found
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/11732
It's in the "Circumstances" page. It lists "2225 Sutro, Virginia City Highlands, 89706."

I tried to make up a map in Google of the zip code, but I'm using an unfamiliar computer and I can't figure out how to share the screenshot. The region stretches across Carson City, and almost far enough north to be considered "Deep South Reno," near the Summit Sierra Mall. The little area at the very north is what I think of as the VC Highlands. But hey, I'm hail more from the North Valleys, old Sparks, and NW Reno, so I could be wrong.

Anyhow, the only possible address I could find to match was "2225 South Sutro Terrace, Carson City, 89706." When you look for it in Google Map, it shows the approx address, and that's it.

If any of you are familiar with that neck of the woods and have some insight, I'd love to hear it. I haven't been able to find any news more recent than "the remains are human."

I don't get the "South Reno" part, because that's about as North Carson City as you get. I know Unsolved Mysteries profiled a haunted house one time "just outside of Carson City". Turned out to be across the street where we know Summit Sierra to be. At the time (20 years ago) there wasn't anything out there. But I don't see why it wasn't considered closer to Reno. Maybe it's because a lot of people who've never been to the area always assume Reno is next to Vegas.

I don't get the "South Reno" part, because that's about as North Carson City as you get. I know Unsolved Mysteries profiled a haunted house one time "just outside of Carson City". Turned out to be across the street where we know Summit Sierra to be. At the time (20 years ago) there wasn't anything out there. But I don't see why it wasn't considered closer to Reno. Maybe it's because a lot of people who've never been to the area always assume Reno is next to Vegas.

Charlie, that's funny. "Just outside Carson City." Growing up, when that was empty, I would expect to hear that area called either "out towards Carson," or "as you're heading into Washoe Valley," but most often "over off Mouth Rose Highway."

Good work to all of you and to the investigators. My family lived in Sun Valley at the time, so I'm going to pass these articles along to my aunt and uncle to see if they knew him.

cfa4a5b7-3210-414f-a9c8-615cf69e99d8_zpsa502c053.png

http://www.kolotv.com/home/headline...-Reported-Missing-34-years-Ago-273862231.html

As with all veteran funerals, the tribute begins with a 21 Gun Salute. On Wednesday, the gunfire saluted the decorated Vietnam War veteran who's life ended in a mystery.

"George was murdered a long time ago and he's waited all this time to get a proper burial service," said Sheriff Gerald Antinoro of Storey County...

Robert Chamborg hadn't seen his father since he was a child, but it was still a shock to find out his estranged father's body was discovered in a Virginia City septic tank just a year ago... "He didn't know anything, any of this about his dad so he's had quite the adventure finding out who his dad was," said Sheriff Antinoro.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back