NV NV - Wellington, WhtMale 574UMNV, 35-50, off Sand Canyon Road, Mar'92 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a sample of the hair in sunlight. This should help in the searching.
John Doe Hair.JPG

Hopefully this helps. If you click on the image above it will open up and be clearer.

I just updated the 2 documents in Dropbox for this case with the most recent changes! (The revision date is located in the footers so you can make sure you have the most recent version)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jk45mxv3tfzpetk/AACk1obj3ycFqLBdpOF3USywa?dl=0

If possible, I'd like some clarification from the detectives if they would like me to continue adding "ALL" our suggestions to the master document with the detailed comparisons below- regardless of whether the person has brown or strawberry or light blonde or dark blonde hair. I think we should add them all and we can easily type in a RULED OUT if all other information doesn't match.

I haven't added the names ones just posted as I want to wait for confirmation before proceeding.

Please let me know if there's something I missed editing/updating/including. Thanks!

View attachment 72440

Are you sure it has not been color treated? (ie bleached) Dark hair will have red pigment and would turn a strawberry blond or orangish when lightened. To me it doesn't look natural. Seems to be darker pigmentation on some more then others.

The hair looks like it has not been color treated.

Personally, I would feel more comfortable posting possibles based upon age and height vs. hair color. I honestly do not want to be the one who ruled out a possible match just based upon hair color (which often changes, bleaches in sun, looks different in different lighting, is subjective based upon who is doing the description, etc).

I know it means more work for LEO, but I would rather they be the ones to tell us it's not a match instead of me making that decision. Just my thoughts.

View attachment 72440

Ok, is that the actual hair? Because it's looking light brown to me. Also, I went back and looked at the reconstruction again.

image.jpg

And it appears to be redish/light brown kinda like my own. When I think of red hair I think of the reddish/orange color I see on some people sometimes like this:

image.jpg

So, there is red/orange hair, and reddish/light brown hair

If you click on the image and blow it up, you can see that it is reddish brown. Yes, that is the actual hair, but we have cropped the photo for obvious reasons.

Could it have just been lightened from sitting in the desert sun?

I thought of this too. Only problem I see is that this area snows according to climate websites, says it gets an average of 26.5 inches per year which is a lot for an area that has low precipitation compared with the median precipitation averages for the US. The average snow fall is 25.0 for the US. Although a person can get sunburn on the slopes I can imagine that the remains would not have been sitting exposed directly to the sun long enough since the remains where found in March and had been there 4-14 months? I believe that was the aprox.

Which brings me to my next question, how long does it take for hair to decompose?

It's my understanding now that the persons hair has to be REEEEEEEEEEEEEDDD!!!!!!!!!! Not brown or light brown or black.

I had a guy that was a perfect match, but the Detectives said he was a no go because of his light brown hair.

View attachment 72439
That's very dark brown hair compared to the hair on the unidentified person's composite picture, IMO.

Search results for brown, light brown, dark blonde, dark strawberry blonde, auburn could all match if there's heavy red high lights. Not every description in the missing person database is going to have an accurate hair color, and the report might fail to mention red highlights. If there's a picture showing hair to be way too dark or way too light, I feel the detectives can easily rule it out. But if there is no picture or the picture isn't too dark or light and it's difficult to tell one way or another if there is red, it really doesn't matter how it's defined in the database IMO.

Ok, is that the actual hair? Because it's looking light brown to me. Also, I went back and looked at the reconstruction again.

View attachment 72441

And it appears to be redish/light brown kinda like my own. When I think of red hair I think of the reddish/orange color I see on some people sometimes like this:

View attachment 72442

So, there is red/orange hair, and reddish/light brown hair

Actually, your guy with the cigarette looks a bit like the reconstruction, if you overlook the nose.

View attachment 72440
Thank you for the picture. As I imagined, someone could have called that brown when they entered into the missing person's database. That could also be called red, dark blonde, apricot blonde, strawberry blonde or auburn depending on who is describing it. With the picture, we know to stay away from the dark browns and the light blondes now. If there's no picture in the missing person database, nobody should be ruled out based on the words used in the database because the color description or this hair is very, very subjective.

Personally, I would feel more comfortable posting possibles based upon age and height vs. hair color. I honestly do not want to be the one who ruled out a possible match just based upon hair color (which often changes, bleaches in sun, looks different in different lighting, is subjective based upon who is doing the description, etc).

I know it means more work for LEO, but I would rather they be the ones to tell us it's not a match instead of me making that decision. Just my thoughts.

Agreed! JMO but I think we should add all appropriate suggestions as long as we try to keep the age, height, and hair color as close as possible to the UNID estimates, log each suggestion on the Master suggestion list and do the detailed comparison below for each individual suggested. Once we can see the everything else that may/may not match up, LE can let us know whether we should:

a) RULE OUT based on ______ (ie dentals, DNA, other) (and provide a link to the WS post stating so for future reference)

b) WILL NOT CONSIDER AT THIS TIME (and, if possible, a reason, i.e. hair color, distance, age, etc.) (and provide link as above to WS post stating so)

c) STILL PENDING (and provide link as above)

If after doing all that and STILL no match, then we can at least go back through an organized list/document and "REVISIT" those that may have been formerly or initially "Ruled Out" or "Will Not Consider at this Time" and decide whether we should take another look. JMO

Thoughts?

If possible, I'd like some clarification from the detectives if they would like me to continue adding "ALL" our suggestions to the master document with the detailed comparisons below- regardless of whether the person has brown or strawberry or light blonde or dark blonde hair. I think we should add them all and we can easily type in a RULED OUT if all other information doesn't match.

Yes, please add them all, regardless of whether or not the hair appears to match. Hair color is only one aspect. I wouldn't rule out anyone based solely on hair color since it can be easily changed. For example, Dean Spencer's hair is nearly completely gray in the December 1991 photo. The way you have the note next to his name on the master list "Not moved forward at this time" is perfect. I wouldn't call it a "rule out" until something much more definitive (dentals, DNA, etc.) is compared. That way we can focus our efforts and resources on more obvious matches first. When we get all those ruled out, we can start taking a second look at some of the ones that don't appear to be as promising.

Hopefully that makes sense. The list is looking great so far! Great way to keep all these potential matches organized so nobody falls through the cracks.

Yes, please add them all, regardless of whether or not the hair appears to match. Hair color is only one aspect. I wouldn't rule out anyone based solely on hair color since it can be easily changed. For example, Dean Spencer's hair is nearly completely gray in the December 1991 photo. The way you have the note next to his name on the master list "Not moved forward at this time" is perfect. I wouldn't call it a "rule out" until something much more definitive (dentals, DNA, etc.) is compared. That way we can focus our efforts and resources on more obvious matches first. When we get all those ruled out, we can start taking a second look at some of the ones that don't appear to be as promising.

Hopefully that makes sense. The list is looking great so far! Great way to keep all these potential matches organized so nobody falls through the cracks.

Agreed! Will proceed accordingly. Also, as you and your partner(s) review the Master Document or each of the individualized Detailed Comparisons, if you see someone that needs to have one of the three categories assigned (a) Ruled Out, (b) Will Not Consider at this Time, or (c) Still Pending, just let me know and I'll update it!

I'll be back in a bit after I update the names suggested a little earlier.

Are you sure it has not been color treated? (ie bleached) Dark hair will have red pigment and would turn a strawberry blond or orangish when lightened. To me it doesn't look natural. Seems to be darker pigmentation on some more then others.
That looks natural to me. I can see the golden highlighting mixed in with the predominate apricot/copper highlights.

Apparently I answered my question myself via google. Hair decomposition can take up to 100 years or more. So I'm trying to figure out why the time frame. Is it based on the car and the dog? Was there soft tissue still left on the skeleton? Would just like to get a better idea of time frame and if the car is not related then it is possible that the remains have been there longer thus opening a bigger window to missing men. Even with soft tissue it could have been preserved from the snow for a couple years I would imagine.

BBM
I found this link with some much better photos of Christopher. His daughter is looking for him.
http://helpmefindmyfather.webstarts.com/index.html

Good photos. Certain things stay more constant. Height, for instance, but people lose and gain weight all the time, especially due to illness (diabetes) or pharmaceuticals. Atypical anti-depressants and some anti-psychotics can make people gain a lot. Some illegal drugs, like meth, can cause them to lose a lot. To me, it would never make sense to use weight as a rule-out unless a person's disappearance is very recent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark