NY NY - Craig Frear, 17, Scotia, 27 June 2004

This case is about a boy who went missing from Scotia, New York. There is not a lot of information about him, but I will post a link. I tried to get Dateline involved but they declined. The few reports around Scotia (which is where I live) is scarce. From what I have been told, craiq was a popular kid who had a lot pf positive things going for him, it has been reported that he basically walked into some woods and disappeared and has never been seen again. The local police (which is very small) have always been very tight lipped. Craig apparently been upset over a recent breakup, howeve I have been told by one of Craiq's actual friends that he fought a lot with his dad. My interest in this case is just that it is quite un-settling, our village where we live is quite small, and this is major news, I am not even sure where this family actually lives. I saw hid mother on TV once and the father was not on camera. I have been told that they have appeared on other broadcasts but I have never seem them. It is just really suspicious, I would like to know more info but I am not sure where to go. The family ( I believe) has posted missing person posters around town, and I was told that they had some "private" searches for him, but I know that if my child was missing that I would be absolutely relentless in searching for him.. I would use all and every news source avaiable and I also know that every single person in our small town would know my face and my husband... It is just not adding up, there has been absolutely no trace of him. A police officer who was on the force at the time told me "yeah we are assuming he is dead". our town is small and if he committed suicide, "which a number of his friends said is highly unlikely" there is absolutely no trace of him..Just wondering if anybody on here has any suggestions...I feel like I should do something???? Thankyou for your time

This case is about a boy who went missing from Scotia, New York. There is not a lot of information about him, but I will post a link. I tried to get Dateline involved but they declined. The few reports around Scotia (which is where I live) is scarce. From what I have been told, craiq was a popular kid who had a lot pf positive things going for him, it has been reported that he basically walked into some woods and disappeared and has never been seen again. The local police (which is very small) have always been very tight lipped. Craig apparently been upset over a recent breakup, howeve I have been told by one of Craiq's actual friends that he fought a lot with his dad. My interest in this case is just that it is quite un-settling, our village where we live is quite small, and this is major news, I am not even sure where this family actually lives. I saw hid mother on TV once and the father was not on camera. I have been told that they have appeared on other broadcasts but I have never seem them. It is just really suspicious, I would like to know more info but I am not sure where to go. The family ( I believe) has posted missing person posters around town, and I was told that they had some "private" searches for him, but I know that if my child was missing that I would be absolutely relentless in searching for him.. I would use all and every news source avaiable and I also know that every single person in our small town would know my face and my husband... It is just not adding up, there has been absolutely no trace of him. A police officer who was on the force at the time told me "yeah we are assuming he is dead". our town is small and if he committed suicide, "which a number of his friends said is highly unlikely" there is absolutely no trace of him..Just wondering if anybody on here has any suggestions...I feel like I should do something???? Thankyou for your time

Sorry here is the link

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/frear_craig.html

Hi rosario :wave:

I tried clicking on the link you provided but it didn't come up for me? Can you post it again? Thank you.

Sorry for posting the link- I was going through the "sources" on the CP list and I figured while I was there, I would bring the link over, imamaze. Hope it's not a problem.

No problem at all, thanks so much, it works for me now too!! :blowkiss:

I am confused. At the beginning of the Charlie project listing it states that he left his friends house to walk to his parents house in the cul-de-sac. The listing makes it appear that the parents house was near his friends house. Later, however, it states he did not return home to Glenville, NY. When I google Glenville, it is about 23 miles away, so would he have walked that far? Was something wrong with his car that he was walking and not driving home? I am somewhat familiar with this area, as my husband grew up near there--there are many rural areas around there: did they search with dogs etc?

EDIT:
Ok, I found Cambridge Manor and Yorkshire Court in Scotia, they are about 3.1 miles apart. Maybe his mother and father lived in separate houses? The route does cross several railroad tracks--I know that they don't believe he was hit by a train, but I wonder if they checked train times running through that area? It also appears to be several waterways in the area too--Collins Lake and the Erie Canal, although they are both in the opposite direction of the route he should have taken to Yorkshire. Since it was June, there should not have been a problem with snow, and he would have probably just gotten out of school, as most upstate NY schools get out the end of June. I wonder if ran away, he has a brother who looks similar and he is using their social and ID? This boy had everything to live for, a promising future--I hope he is still with us!

This is really sad, what a great looking kid. He reminds me very much of my own son. It sounds like he was playing around with drugs, I say this because a few things stand out.
He was having disagreements with his parents.
Parents knew something was bothering him.
Lost his job.
Lost his girlfriend.
Acting secretive prior to his disappearance. I would start by finding out why he loss his job, why the break up with the girlfriend, find out what the disagreement with parents was about. From there I would work on the other set of friends, the ones no one knew about....I say this because that is usually the way it works. Could be he was selling drugs and got mixed up with the wrong people. I pray this young man is found.

Could this thread be retitled: Craig Allen Frear
missing since 6/27/2004 ?

Julie R:
I agree with you.
This boy had lots going for him, at least on paper.
Doing well in school, maybe an athletic scholarship,

But, seems to have had disagreements with dad,
broke up with girl friend,
fired from job.
It was the summer before senior year.

He leaves a friends house at 2:30pm. He says he is headed for home.
It seems he took a short cut through the woods.
His parents do not report him missing for days, because they think
he is staying away, and they are giving him some time and space.
But, he left his wallet, his car behind.
His ssn has never been used since then.

Maybe he was experimenting with drugs.
Maybe he was selling a little weed.
Maybe he ticked someone off.
Maybe he saw something he should not have when
walking home through the woods.

Maybe he thought, tired of all this and this town,
Maybe he got a friend to drive him to the nearest large town.
Maybe he caught a bus.
Maybe he changed his name, used a phony ssn.
Maybe he is living in San Diego, and now too much time has passed
and he is afraid of letting people know.

I hope police have interviewed the friend he was visiting.
What did they do, talk about?
I hope police have interviewed the former girl friend.
Did she break up with him? Did he break up with her?
The reason they broke up?
Did his friends think he was doing things he should not be doing?
Had he changed his circle of friends?
His job fired him because he was late to work. That does happen with
17 yr olds, but he may have taken it as another sign that
things were not working out.

Suicide: Pills? Did he have access to that kind of medication?
A gun? Did he have a gun? Did any friends guns come up missing?
But he should have been found by now.
Hanging? They would have found him by now.
Where would he go if he did want to end his life? A special place?
Someplace that meant a lot to him?

I hope his family can find the answer.

Without further information, I think it is presumptious to think he was using drugs. Teenagers sometimes go through things on the path to adulthood; I myself had a really hard time from 18-24, and I was not using one lick of drugs. We do not know why he was fired, why he and his girlfriend broke up--there are just too many what ifs. For all we know, this is also the work of the smiley face killer...there are other boys to go missing in that area, as well as VT and NH, which are not too far away, or maybe his friend knows more than he is saying?

Does anyone know why he traveled to San Diego so frequently? Did he have family there? I wonder if he had a long distance relationship there? I am curious about the check cashing...was it a checkbook of his or a family member? Did they have anything on video?

There is an Alan Frear in Mission Hills, CA, which is about 1 1/2 hrs north of SD, and an A. Frear in Imperial, CA which is a suburb of SD.

Yes!! I was thinking....the smiley face killer!
I was driving through the Scotia/Glenville area last Tuesday on my way to a concert and and it's nothing but woods and lots of water.

jmo

Dreamweaver,

I got to tell you that part just don't sit well with me. It seems he has stayed away before. I have a 17 year old son who has struggled with drugs so I kind of know the signs, but I would not let him stay away a night with out knowing where he was and especially when he was using. My son did the same things before he agreed to get help, lost the girlfriend, lost the job, new set of friends, he was selling drugs to make his money, played football and some how managed to graduate this year with good grades. I really hope this young man is alive and well.

Also, this is about the age where mental illness can sometimes be revealed...Perhaps he truly was depressed and ran away (if he did, he had to have had help from a friend(s). Maybe he has been gone so long now that he is afraid to come home. Did he have any siblings? I really have to wonder if he has contacted anyone-friends?

There is a local doe network contact for him, according to the facebook page:

Hi all,
My name is Tony Evelina, I am the Capitol District Area Director for the DoeNetwork.
I am active in the search for Craig.
If anyone would like to contact me, I'm right in Scotia.
Call: (518) 986-5299

Rosario or someone local may want to contact him and find out if there is more info, especially on the San Diego sighting?

Dreamweaver,

I got to tell you that part just don't sit well with me. It seems he has stayed away before. I have a 17 year old son who has struggled with drugs so I kind of know the signs, but I would not let him stay away a night with out knowing where he was and especially when he was using. My son did the same things before he agreed to get help, lost the girlfriend, lost the job, new set of friends, he was selling drugs to make his money, played football and some how managed to graduate this year with good grades. I really hope this young man is alive and well.

Also, this is about the age where mental illness can sometimes be revealed...Perhaps he truly was depressed and ran away (if he did, he had to have had help from a friend(s). Maybe he has been gone so long now that he is afraid to come home. Did he have any siblings? I really have to wonder if he has contacted anyone-friends?

I really hope that's the case (not mental illness) that he just felt overwhelmed and left. I just can't get over as a parent letting him stay away a few days not knowing where he is at, maybe I spend to much time reading here, but I would be frantic the first night.
I wish they would tell us more about what they feel was happening with him. I can understand them not telling the police if he was involved in drugs because a lot of times the police look at the case differently and don't really seem to search for the missing person, JMO on that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back