NY NY - Cynthia Constantine, 15, Oakdale, 11 July 1969

This case has been on my mind for many years. I was born around the time she disappeared and lived in Oakdale for almost 30 years. Oakdale Cycle was a common stop for me, and I became very friendly as a child with her dad, he was at the counter and family lived in back of store. He would tell me about the dissapearance and I know he was heartbroken, you could feel the loss the moment you walked in.

In regards to the abduction and murder, there were several sketchy people who lived behind the service station along the tracks. One man who owned a limo business always comes to mind. He would follow young kids in his limo, one evening I had to hide in the 7/11 and call my mother to pick me up.

Another sketchy dude was someone the kids called diaperman, I was really young like 10 or so, but this guy used to run around the woods between the overpass and King Kullen in his white underpants. I saw this guy on several occasions, rumors was that he lived with his mom in the senior living apartments behind the Ockers home.

They are beginning to develop the wooded area that has long gone undeveloped across from the building g that was Oakdale Cycle. I hope they know to look out for her while digging. I feel strongly that her body still rests between the river bridge and the rail road station.

It really is a sad case, hammerRX. Im from a neighboring town and although I wasn't born yet when she disappeared, the case disturbs me. I didn't know there was developing going on over there, maybe she'll finally be found. Nice to see a local here :)

Hi HammerRX & Flonite! I'm from Islip, and the train track vicinity is what troubles me most about Cynthia's case. As locals, we have seen how sketchy things (in otherwise low-crime areas) have occurred near LIRR tracks. My heart breaks for her father, he sounds like a nice man =(

Hey there fellow LIer! I'm from Bohemia. Yes I agree the train stations are definitely sketchy, any unsavory character could have been involved here. Poor Cynthia. Seifert, do you remember what the area looked like at the time, or was that before your time? I can't recall the bike shop and while I know where the train station is in Oakdale, I can't picture where she was walking that day.

Hey there fellow LIer! I'm from Bohemia. Yes I agree the train stations are definitely sketchy, any unsavory character could have been involved here. Poor Cynthia. Seifert, do you remember what the area looked like at the time, or was that before your time? I can't recall the bike shop and while I know where the train station is in Oakdale, I can't picture where she was walking that day.

Oakdale Cycle was a small, and is today, a small building between the vegatable stand and what was an ice cream restaurant turned tackle shop (the tackle shop is that white barn shaped building that has been falling to pieces for years, it was shut down by NYS). Oakdale Cycle was on the south side of MTK HWY. Directlty across from What was Vincente Reality and is now a landscapers office.

I always knew he was sad, they never said much. But after a few years of going he befriended me and helped me with my bike, I was only about 13 or so when we started talking about the day she went missing. He told me she was not gone long, and that the dog came back with his leash. He thought he had gotten away and she would come running in within moments. That never happened, they became nervous then started looking.

Just because of the time element of the Dog, I feel like she had to be between the bridge at the merge and the train station.

I am knew to this, but it's been inside me for years, the questions about what happened and where she may rest. Does anyone know how I might go about getting any police reports from that time period? Or do you think they would be destroyed or lost by now?

After I did some research I read William's post at Oakdaleny.com. I now know that his dad was a member of the Oakdale Fire Department, I was an active member for over 25 years, and I probably know other people that may have went to school with you and Cynthia. I would love to get some more information on the search for Cynthia at the time she disappeared. Please feel free to email me directly.

Hammer were you referring to me? I'm a little confused, I didn't go to school with Cynthia, she was much older than me.

Which post on oakdaleny.com? I saw the post about Cynthia but I didn't see any posts from a person named William.

i wonder if the library would have old newspapers on microfilm that would have some more info about the disappearance?

After my growing frustration with this case I had to step away from a little while. I contacted the SCPD headquarters in Yaphank about how to obtain a copy of the casefile and it lead me nowhere.

I drive through the area a few times a month and can't help but wonder if she's right there, just out of our reach.

Earlier in the thread someone commented about a limo driver and the "diaper man". I'd be interested in talking if you're still in the are as the suspect I was given was a sketchy character but was maybe outwardly more "socially acceptable" than the two mentioned.

I am heading out there soon, before spring in an attempt to cut through the brush before it grows back.

I am out by the suspected site of her disappearance and took some pictures of the farm stand, Oakdale Cycle (now a salon) and the old bait and tackle shop. I got a picture of the wooded lot directly across Montauk Highway and a picture each facing east and west along the train tracks.

Being out here on foot again has raised a big question in my mind.

Earlier in this thread someone stated that her father said the dog came home shortly after Cynthia left with it. Now, the bridge that someone claimed to have seen her near is relatively close but not that close. It would have taken her more than a few minutes to reach especially if she was picking wildflowers as she was apparently known to do.

I'll post pictures once I figure out how to since the forum won't allow me to post the links while I'm on mobile.

In regards to the abduction and murder, there were several sketchy people who lived behind the service station along the tracks. One man who owned a limo business always comes to mind. He would follow young kids in his limo, one evening I had to hide in the 7/11 and call my mother to pick me up.

What time period was this? Did anyone know the limo driver's real name? Did the kids have a name for him?

What a eerie feeling I just found on Facebook. There is the same features of Cynthia that is from Michigan and married living in Las Vegas.plus this Jane Doe from allenstown, new Hampshire looks like Cynthia too. Also not trying to be funny but I believe the milkman who also did limo service had something to do with Cynthia's disappearance. I don't feel that Cynthia is in the area but I could be wrong too. My question is was there any sex offender registers in that time frame? If anyone has known?

Sent from Tapatalk

I am not 100% on this, but I do believe the limo driver had become a registered offender, I don't think the laws were in place when I encountered him, but I strongly believe he fell into the arms of the law i the last 20 years. I don't think he resides in Oakdale. I remember his first or last name being Aaron.

NH resident here, Allenstown Jane Doe isn't Cynthia. The time period is too far off, and DNA determined that A: she may have had some Native American heritage, and B: that two of the children found with her were related to her. Given when she went missing, it'd be impossible for her to have any nieces, no younger siblings were mentioned (SIGNIFICANTLY younger), and while it's POSSIBLE for her to have had 2 daughters between going missing and getting murdered, it's VERY unlikely. Beyond that, while the date of death is approximate, since they were all skeletons by that point, it's still almost a decade off of when Cynthia went missing. The hair texture doesn't seem to match, either.

If someone wants to submit Cynthia as a potential match for the eldest of the Allenstown 4, be my guest, but there are just too many discrepancies, IMO.

Did anyone ever check the local newspapers for articles, or look into local sex offenders active at the time?

It's 6:30 on Christmas Eve and I'm up eating scones I'm supposed to give away and talking about murder. Hah. Happy Holidays, everyone.

This case is so haunting because of the lack of anything concrete. All we know is that Cynthia took her dog for a walk and her dog made it back without her. It's crazy to me that not much else has been discovered over the past 48 years.

Based on what users from the area have said, I feel that Cynthia was likely in the wrong place at the wrong time. The limo driver and "diaperman" are the two sketchy people living near the tracks that we know of, but she could have just as easily met with a vagrant that day, someone who rode the train to this area, abducted & murdered Cynthia, and never returned. Sadly, that may be why this case has been so difficult to solve. I think it could be useful to investigate similar cases (solved and unsolved) in areas along those tracks in particular and tracks in general. If it was a drifter with violent tendencies, they likely did something like this more than once.

I hope this case is solved soon. I can't imagine the heartache her family encounters everyday not knowing what happened to this beautiful young lady.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back