NY NY - Cynthia Constantine, 15, Oakdale, 11 July 1969

NY - Cynthia Constantine, 15, Oakdale, 11 July 1969

CDConstantine.jpg

48 years missing. Actually cannot articulate my feelings about any of our missing right now. Sad.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/constantine_cynthia.html

http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/1161743

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2193dfny.html

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/4532/2/

https://letsfindthem.wordpress.com/...se-disappearance-of-cynthia-dawn-constantine/

I live about ten minutes away from where Cynthia disappeared and my parents were young when she disappeared. Ted Bundy was in New Jersey in 1969 and would have had to only travel an hour to get to New York and then Oakdale. Bundy is also possibly involved in the 1971 disappearance of Lynne Schulze. Bundy May have been involved in Cynthia’s case but not much is known about her case.

Cynthia Dawn Constantine
  • cynthia_dawn_constantine_1.jpg
  • cynthia_dawn_constantine_2.jpg
Cynthia, circa 1969

• Missing Since07/11/1969
  • Missing FromOakdale, New York
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth04/14/1954 (64)
  • Age15 years old
  • Height and Weight5'3, 117 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA white blouse, black Bermuda shorts, orange sneakers and possibly a yellow metal chain with a cross pendant.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Cynthia has a mole on her throat and a discolored front tooth. She wears eyeglasses. She has previously fractured her lower right arm.
Details of Disappearance
Cynthia was last seen in Oakdale, New York on July 11, 1969. She went to take the dog for a walk along the railroad tracks of the Montauk branch train of the Long Island Railroad. The dog returned home without her just a few minutes later, with its collar and leash still on.

Earlier on the day of her disappearance, Cynthia and her brother had gone into the woods and seen a muskrat den, and she said she wanted to go back and find the muskrat. Three young boys said they'd seen Cynthia going into the woods with her dog, and when her brother lead authorities to the muskrat hole, they found tracks consistent with Cynthia and the dog. The tracks were wiped out by rain before they could be closely examined or preserved, however.

Cynthia has never been heard from again. She didn't take any belongings with her, and at the time of her disappearance her rabbit was about to give birth and she was looking forward to seeing the babies.

Her family never believed she ran away; they thought she was abducted. Several local people were suggested as potential suspects, but no one has been charged or named publicly. It's worth noting that she disappeared near the train station, and could have encountered numerous people there who weren't local to the area.

Cynthia's parents are both dead, but her brother is still alive. Her case remains unsolved.
Investigating Agency
  • Suffolk County Police Department 631-852-6040
Source Information
Updated 6 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated November 5, 2018; details of disappearance updated.

I have recently come across newspaper articles written about one of the detectives who worked the case. He and his partner believed up until the days that they died that her father was responsible for her disappearance. One of the detectives noted that a year after Cynthia went missing they visited the home and found that her father had just poured a new concrete floor in the basement. I would love for the SCPD to take GPR down there and do a sweep for any disturbances in the soil.

I have recently come across newspaper articles written about one of the detectives who worked the case. He and his partner believed up until the days that they died that her father was responsible for her disappearance. One of the detectives noted that a year after Cynthia went missing they visited the home and found that her father had just poured a new concrete floor in the basement. I would love for the SCPD to take GPR down there and do a sweep for any disturbances in the soil.
Hmmm that’s very suspicious, I never heard this and I read all of the articles on her case.

Can you put the article here?

I wish I'd seen your response yesterday. Yes, I will post the article when I get home tonight.

I went to Oakdale last Saturday and remembered Cynthia’s case. I might go back soon but I wanted to note that their are a lot of wooded areas in Oakdale and other areas of Long Island. It is rumored that a girl was taken into the woods and murdered at some point in the 60s or 70s. This rumor has never been confirmed and Cynthia remains missing.

Cynthia Dawn Constantine
  • cynthia_dawn_constantine_1.jpg
  • cynthia_dawn_constantine_2.jpg
Cynthia, circa 1969

• Missing Since07/11/1969
  • Missing FromOakdale, New York
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth04/14/1954 (64)
  • Age15 years old
  • Height and Weight5'3, 117 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA white blouse, black Bermuda shorts, orange sneakers and possibly a yellow metal chain with a cross pendant.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Cynthia has a mole on her throat and a discolored front tooth. She wears eyeglasses. She has previously fractured her lower right arm.
Details of Disappearance
Cynthia was last seen in Oakdale, New York on July 11, 1969. She went to take the dog for a walk along the railroad tracks of the Montauk branch train of the Long Island Railroad. The dog returned home without her just a few minutes later, with its collar and leash still on.

Earlier on the day of her disappearance, Cynthia and her brother had gone into the woods and seen a muskrat den, and she said she wanted to go back and find the muskrat. Three young boys said they'd seen Cynthia going into the woods with her dog, and when her brother lead authorities to the muskrat hole, they found tracks consistent with Cynthia and the dog. The tracks were wiped out by rain before they could be closely examined or preserved, however.

Cynthia has never been heard from again. She didn't take any belongings with her, and at the time of her disappearance her rabbit was about to give birth and she was looking forward to seeing the babies. Her family never believed she ran away; they thought she was abducted.

The police considered Cynthia's father a possibly suspect in her disappearance. He had a bicycle shop on Montauk Highway in Oakdale, and laid a new cement floor in the basement around the time of Cynthia's disappearance.

Several local people were suggested as potential suspects, but no one has been charged or named publicly. It's worth noting that she disappeared near the train station, and could have encountered numerous people there who weren't local to the area.

Cynthia's parents are both dead, but her brother is still alive. Her case remains unsolved.
Investigating Agency
Source Information
Updated 7 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated January 5, 2019; details of disappearance updated

Updated Charley link: Cynthia Dawn Constantine – The Charley Project

I was a friend of Cynthia's. We were in the same class at Connetquot HS and took the same bus. Her parents owned the bike shop in town, opposite the Oakdale train tracks. Her brother's name is William. The body that was found at Hecksher in 1978 was not Cynthia's, although the community had hoped it would be for the sake of closure for the family. Oddly, if I remember correctly, the body turned out to be that of Dean Martin's niece.
That body has never been identified. I live in Suffolk County and I’ve never seen any news that this UID was ID’d. She’s on Namus and Doe network and they’ve been trying to do DNA testing.

This case has been on my mind for many years. I was born around the time she disappeared and lived in Oakdale for almost 30 years. Oakdale Cycle was a common stop for me, and I became very friendly as a child with her dad, he was at the counter and family lived in back of store. He would tell me about the dissapearance and I know he was heartbroken, you could feel the loss the moment you walked in.

In regards to the abduction and murder, there were several sketchy people who lived behind the service station along the tracks. One man who owned a limo business always comes to mind. He would follow young kids in his limo, one evening I had to hide in the 7/11 and call my mother to pick me up.

Another sketchy dude was someone the kids called diaperman, I was really young like 10 or so, but this guy used to run around the woods between the overpass and King Kullen in his white underpants. I saw this guy on several occasions, rumors was that he lived with his mom in the senior living apartments behind the Ockers home.

They are beginning to develop the wooded area that has long gone undeveloped across from the building g that was Oakdale Cycle. I hope they know to look out for her while digging. I feel strongly that her body still rests between the river bridge and the rail road station.
It’s sad that her father is a suspect in her case... I honestly think that Sexual predator business guy was the one responsible. I’m going to Oakdale Tommorow. Does anyone know the address of the business place?

i no longer live in the area but Patchogue 's library probably has the old articles etc their collections are awesome. maybe try the old long island advance a weekly newspaper

Ok. Something just occurred to me.

The initial MP pages I came across for Cynthia stated that she went missing while picking wild flowers along the train tracks. Her brother knew right from the beginning where she went and why she went there. Even an eyewitness account from 3 boys stated that they saw her enter the woods to the north of the train station.

The boys made no mention of a dog but there is mention of her tracks being found accompanied by those of a dog. In pictures I've seen her dog appears to have been a German Shepard.

Something really isn't sitting well with me about this.

I believe that Cynthia is still somewhere in the immediate area.

Ok. Something just occurred to me.

The initial MP pages I came across for Cynthia stated that she went missing while picking wild flowers along the train tracks. Her brother knew right from the beginning where she went and why she went there. Even an eyewitness account from 3 boys stated that they saw her enter the woods to the north of the train station.

The boys made no mention of a dog but there is mention of her tracks being found accompanied by those of a dog. In pictures I've seen her dog appears to have been a German Shepard.

Something really isn't sitting well with me about this.

I believe that Cynthia is still somewhere in the immediate area.
Do you have the picture of the dog?

Another thing that I have long questioned is why did they use the pictures we've all seen? Surely her family had better photo's of her. The pictures that generally accompany the postings are similar to what you would see from a photo booth. Wouldn't she at least have had a recent school photo?

The more I think about it the more questions come rolling in to my head. Things I grew to take as "fact" no longer make sense anymore.

Cynthia taking her dog to "pick wild flowers" makes sense. We know though, through her family and the original police report that she didn't go to pick wild flowers. She went to check on a muskrat den. Why would she take her dog to a muskrat den? Being interested in nature as she supposedly was, one would think she'd know that having the dog with her would guarantee not seeing any muskrat.

The more I think about it the more questions come rolling in to my head. Things I grew to take as "fact" no longer make sense anymore.

Cynthia taking her dog to "pick wild flowers" makes sense. We know though, through her family and the original police report that she didn't go to pick wild flowers. She went to check on a muskrat den. Why would she take her dog to a muskrat den? Being interested in nature as she supposedly was, one would think she'd know that having the dog with her would guarantee not seeing any muskrat.
Maybe she felt safe with the dog. Maybe she would use her dog to help find the muskrat.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa
Back