Deceased/Not Found NY - Etan Patz, 6, New York, 25 May 1979 #3 *P. Hernandez guilty*

I am still waiting to here back from my daughters friend who was held on rikers , to see if he knew the suspects . I am not even sure he would share because he is the type of person who believes and I will quote him" if it does not have nothing to do with me ,I do not know nothing.'' I think once he is face to face , he will share some things. He has made hints towards that.

NEW YORK – The 1979 disappearance of Etan Patz helped catalyze a national missing-children's movement. Six-year-old Etan was one of the first children whose disappearance was publicized in what became a high-profile way: on milk cartons. His case also helped usher in an age of parental anxiety. The suspect in Etan's disappearance, Pedro Hernandez, is now about to be retried on murder and kidnapping charges, after a jury deadlocked last year. He confessed in 2012, but his lawyers say his admissions are false.

Read more at ... http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/17/look-at-case-etan-patz-missing-boy-who-fueled-movement.html

Mother Of Missing Boy Etan Patz Testifies In Retrial Of 1979 Case

Patz said she reluctantly let her son, Etan, walk alone to his school bus stop in SoHo for the first time on May 25, WCBS 880’s Irene Cornell reported.

She last saw him leave for the bus with a dollar in hand, which he planned to use to buy a drink from the bodega near the bus stop, 1010 WINS’ Sonia Hall reported. She later learned he was marked absent from school, and he never returned home.

Patz testified about how trusting Etan was and how afraid he was to be alone or lost.

Etan Patz’s childhood friend breaks down on the stand

A childhood pal of Etan Patz broke down on the stand Monday during testimony that was emotional as it was heated.

Testifying in the second trial for accused Patz murderer Pedro Hernandez, Chelsea Altman burst into tears upon seeing a photo of a smiling Etan in a striped shirt, taken just two months before May 25, 1979, the day the 6-year-old vanished forever.

“That’s Etan,” said Altman, 44, with tears in her eyes.

On cross examination, Altman knocked heads with defense lawyer Harvey Fishbein, who grilled the mother-of-two about statements she made to police in the 1980s about Etan’s imaginary friend “Johnny.”

The lawyer questioned her about telling cops then that “Etan was very afraid of [his mother] Julie finding out about Johnny and when they ran away together, Johnny promised him a lot of presents.”

“I don’t remember this interview,” said Altman, growing increasingly agitated.

“It is my feeling as a 44-year-old person that he is imaginary from my game [I played]. That is my true and honest feeling about Johnny and that’s all I can know definitively,” Altman snapped.

Witness in Etan Patz trial says he heard killer’s confession; defense harps on spotty memory

A 76-year-old man who says he heard the accused killer of Etan Patz confess at a religious farm retreat in 1979 was forced to defend glaring inconsistencies in his accounts on Tuesday.

Ramon Rodriguez is one of the Manhattan District Attorney office's key witnesses to what was allegedly a conscience-clearing admission by a young Pedro Hernandez at a Southern New Jersey event with members of a Charismatic Christian group.

Rodriguez testified that a guilt-ridden Hernandez admitted that he choked and stabbed the boy while working at a grocery store in New York City not long after the crime.

On cross-examination, Rodriguez, who spoke in broken English or through a Spanish interpreter, was confronted with the fact that he told a prosecutor and detectives in 2012 Hernandez had not abused the boy.

He said when he "received the Holy Spirit, God started giving me some abilities and one of those things was to get something from Pedro Hernandez's heart that he had in there."

Fishbein is trying to paint Rodriguez as someone with an unreliable memory and an agenda.

Ex-friend of Etan Patz murder suspect testifies at trial the accused admitted he 'strangled him and he lost it'

A former pal of 6-year-old Etan Patz’s accused killer, Pedro Hernandez, testified Wednesday that the suspect told him decades ago that he had “got angry and strangled” a child.

Mark Pike, 53, lived across the street from the Hernandez family in Camden, N.J., and was friendly with Hernandez and some of his siblings, he testified.

Pike said Hernandez told him he was working at a grocery store in New York City when he was hit in the throat with a ball by a kid playing in the street.

“He got angry. He strangled him and he lost it,” Pike testified during direct examination by prosecutor Joel Seidemann.

Suspected Etan Patz killer Pedro Hernandez confessed to strangling a 'muchacho' to his ex-wife before marriage

Pedro Hernandez confessed to strangling a “muchacho” — a boy — who he called a “gringo” to his ex-wife before they were married, the former spouse testified Monday at Hernandez’s second trial for the 1979 kidnaping and murder of 6-year-old Etan Patz.

Daisy Rivera, 50, was only about 17 when Hernandez, who was five years older, decided to unload his disturbing secret after a prayer group meeting in Camden, N.J., around 1982, Rivera told the jury.

Her ex-husband told her the person he killed “violated him” and it threw him into a rage.

“He said that after he felt violated he got very angry and he lost control and he grabbed the person by the neck,” the tearful witness recounted.

Etan Patz retrial could spin in the defense’s favor, lawyer says

It's the retrial that feels like a rerun — with the chance of a surprise ending.

Take two of the Etan Patz trial can feel like déjà vu for those who watched 17 weeks of testimony end in May 2015 with a hung jury and a mistrial.

But the subtle differences between the first prosecution of Pedro Hernandez and the current case could spin this one in the defense’s favor, one litigation expert said.

“Retrials are always harder for prosecutors because they have to present the same evidence and witnesses don’t testify consistently all the time,” said criminal defense lawyer Stuart Slotnick.

Slotnick, who has been following the case, said a retrial is often a “boon to the defense” because counsel can impeach prosecution witnesses with prior sworn testimony. The flip side: Prosecutors share the same advantage with defense witnesses.

New jury in Etan Patz retrial sees videotaped confession of accused killer Pedro Hernandez

The new jury in the Pedro Hernandez case saw for the first time Tuesday the murder suspect’s confession to strangling 6-year-old Etan Patz in 1979.

Hernandez, 55, told investigators in 2012 that he lured little Etan to the basement of the SoHo bodega where he worked and choked him lifeless — then later felt nothing.

“I felt like something took over me and I just choked him," Hernandez said in a videotaped interview with Manhattan prosecutor Armand Durastanti on May 24, 2012.

In a chilling touch, Hernandez imitated the gasping noises he said the little boy made as he fought to take his final breaths.

Detective: Suspect in Patz Case Expected Police to Come for Him

http://www.wsj.com/articles/detective-suspect-in-patz-case-expected-police-to-come-for-him-1479165331

When police showed up at the door of the man now accused of killing 6-year-old Etan Patz, all the color drained from the suspect’s face, a detective testified Monday.

“I knew you guys would be coming for me one day,” Pedro Hernandez later said, according to Detective David Ramirez.

Jurors Monday watched a videotape of Mr. Hernandez’s confession, in which he said he saw Etan on the sidewalk near the store, offered him a soda and took him into the basement.

“I was standing behind him. I put my hands around his neck,” Mr. Hernandez said in the video. “Then I choked him.”

In the video, Mr. Hernandez tells three detectives that he put the boy, still alive but unconscious, into a bag, then into a box that he left a block and half from the store.

On Monday, more than a month later, prosecutors rested their case in the retrial of Pedro Hernandez on charges of kidnapping and murder, arguing that Mr. Hernandez had lured Etan into the basement of the bodega and strangled him and that he has been racked with guilt ever since.

Over weeks of testimony in State Supreme Court in Manhattan, witnesses described a sweet-natured boy, small for his age, who talked of an imaginary friend; the repercussions of Etan’s disappearance on his family, those who knew him and many others who did not; and the actions of the man accused of killing him in the years after the disappearance, including emotional confessions repeated several times before his arrest.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/0...ests-in-retrial-of-etan-patz-murder-case.html

Daughter of Suspect in Patz Murder Testifies Through Tears

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/nyregion/etan-patz-pedro-hernandez.html

She watched along with a courtroom of strangers as prosecutors played a video of her 16th birthday party, showing a joyful moment of her in a white dress and dancing with her father. She was shown a video of a baptism party for her mother’s goddaughter and photographs taken inside the modest brown house in Maple Shade, N.J., where she had lived with her parents.

But as Becky Hernandez returned to the witness stand on Tuesday, there were moments when she became flustered as prosecutors showed the images and as they asked about her upbringing and her father’s behavior.

Mr. Hernandez’s lawyers argue that Mr. Hernandez has limited intelligence and a personality disorder that makes it difficult for him to distinguish between fantasy and reality. They argue that admissions made by Mr. Hernandez to investigators — that he took Etan into the basement of the bodega where he worked and choked him — were fictions he had concocted.

Ms. Hernandez, 27, recalled her father telling her about visions he had, seeing demons in the night and an angelic woman who watched over him. She also recounted times he struggled, and failed, to assemble a desk and an entertainment center, and described his limited tolerance for interacting with other people.

FBI had information on Etan Patz 'killer' from two jailhouse snitches in the early '90s, retired agent testifies

Mary Galligan and her team at the time were probing a case against another man, Jose Ramos, a convicted child molester who had a relationship with a woman hired to walk Etan home from school.

Investigators installed two jailhouse cooperators into the mix — both of whom allegedly reported admissions made by Ramos. The reliability of white collar jailbirds Jeffrey Rothschild and Jack Colbert was established in part by the fact that the FBI couldn’t pay them favors in exchange for cooperation, the witness said.

"There was nothing the FBI could give them, to help them with," Galligan testified.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...st-etan-patz-murder-retrial-article-1.2938150

The defense rested earlier than anticipated in the Etan Patz murder retrial Friday — a surprise strategic move that put prosecutors on edge.

Lawyers for 55-year-old Pedro Hernandez chose not to call three witnesses used at his first trial last year to support their theory that convicted child molester Jose Ramos actually abducted and murdered the 6-year-old in 1979...

The trial will resume Monday with arguments over the development, but the jury will not return until the day after. The prosecution is expected to call rebuttal witnesses to challenge testimony about Hernandez’s mental state.

Testimony ends in retrial of Etan Patz disappearance case

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/testimony-ends-in-retrial-of-etan-patz-disappearance-case-1.13027047

Testimony at the retrial of Pedro Hernandez in the 1979 disappearance of 6-year-old Etan Patz came to an end on Friday, paving the way for closing arguments and the start of jury deliberations next week.

Jury selection began on Sept. 12, and testimony stretched over three months. The first trial of Hernandez in 2015 lasted 10 weeks, and jurors deadlocked 11-1 for conviction after deliberating for 18 days.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back