GUILTY NY - Ian Sharinn, 34, killed in road rage incident, Long Beach, 15 May 2009

So sorry for your loss Mrs G.
Blessings to all the friends and family.
This is very scarey!!!
(((hugs)))

So sorry for your loss. Your family is in my prayers.

I'm so sorry...my thoughts are with you and husband and all of Ian's loved ones.

This is horrible!
"If you have ever had your foot stepped on and pushed backwards, that's what it looked like. The car hit his leg right in line with the wheel on the driver's side, the guy went straight back, hit his head real hard, and the kid just stepped on the accelerator, went right over him like he was a cat in the road," said witness John Messina.

If it was an accident he would've stopped once he hit him and he fell back. hopefully forensic will bring justice to your friend. my heart goes out to you, your family, and his family. Oh and I wathed the video the 22 yr old punk didn't look remorseful.

I have read all of the articles that were posted, and then some.

I am angered beyond words at some of the comments! Why do people try and attack the victims of crime? This man is dead and has left behind many who loved and respected him. I don't give a hoot if he DID get out of his car to confront this man, he didn't deserve to be killed.

Also I cannot believe all of the conflicting eye witness reports. Especially the people that were saying that Ian punched the boy several times AND pounded on the hood of his car. Those are easy enough to disprove. Is the perp black and blue or bloody? Were there dents on the hood? I haven't seen either! Why do people lie and try to inject themselves into things that have nothing to do with them?

I am praying for you, your husband and Ian's family and friends. I also pray that justice is served.

I am sorry for your loss MrsG. Prayers to you and all of Ian's family and friends.

Salem

Driver dead, one arrest in apparent Long Beach road rage

A road rage confrontation in Long Beach turned deadly Friday when a motorist ran down another driver who had climbed out of his Porsche to confront him, Nassau police said.

Police arrested Evan Potts, 22, who is to be arraigned Saturday for allegedly using his Nissan Altima to run over the 34-year-old driver of the 1978 canary-yellow sports car.

"There appears to be some aggressive driving that may have triggered this event," said Det. Lt. Kevin Smith of Nassau police, adding it's not yet clear what provoked the encounter.

Police have not publicly identified the dead motorist because they were trying to reach his family. They also did not release the suspect's name, but his family confirmed his identity.

More at link

I'm sorry about your friend. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

Mrs.G My heart goes out to you and your family. This is a senseless crime and I see no way that it can be justified. A life is gone for no good reason..

I cannot offer anything besides my heartfelt condolances, but rest assured you have them. Prayers for everyone concerned - what a terrible event. :(

So sorry for the loss of your friend, Ian, MrsG. What a totally senseless act. Prayers for Ian's family during this sad time.

How horrible,Mrs. G. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, and the family of Ian.

What a stupid, senseless tragedy!

I have read all of the articles that were posted, and then some.

I am angered beyond words at some of the comments! Why do people try and attack the victims of crime? This man is dead and has left behind many who loved and respected him. I don't give a hoot if he DID get out of his car to confront this man, he didn't deserve to be killed.

Also I cannot believe all of the conflicting eye witness reports. Especially the people that were saying that Ian punched the boy several times AND pounded on the hood of his car. Those are easy enough to disprove. Is the perp black and blue or bloody? Were there dents on the hood? I haven't seen either! Why do people lie and try to inject themselves into things that have nothing to do with them?

I am praying for you, your husband and Ian's family and friends. I also pray that justice is served.

:clap: thank you

I think that people try to put themselves in that situation and base their opinions on "what would I do"? I don't think that people think about what they're saying can hurt the family and friends of the victim, but they certainly do.

I am glad that FACTS from both sides of the story have been presented for fairness to both.

However, I am hurt and angered by those who give their opinion about Ian when they didn't know him at all. I am furious at those who call him an "animal" and discuss his "temper" without knowing the person he really was. How DARE they? :furious:

Let LE sift through the evidence and decide what is heresay and what is fact. People depend on the media's accounts too much :(

I'm sorry for your loss, MrsG. No matter who started what, killing someone by running over them with a car isn't the right reaction. I'm sorry you have to deal with the events surrounding his death at the same time you are dealing with your loss.

Regardless of any 'fault', this guy isn't somebody we need with a car in their hands. I hope the police make some charges stick.

Because the offender made a 911 call, there has been speculation that his story holds some water. (the "i feared for my life" claim)

However, if he was charged, I am assuming there was enough evidence to show intent to kill with a motor vehicle. It was wrong either way.

I am so sorry, Mrs. G. What exactly was the 22-year-old charged with - that will give us a hint to what the authorities think.

ETA - I just re-read the arraignment link and he was charged with 2nd degree manslaughter. I will have to go look up what that means in terms of intent, but off the top of my head, manslaughter is a less serious charge than murder, so you are porbably correct that the police believe the Altima's driver was frightened.

2nd degree manslaughter in New York: (http://wings.buffalo.edu/law/bclc/web/NewYork/ny3(a)(1)-.htm - there is more at the link about other sections this law references)

No intent

Section 120.03 Vehicular assault in the second degree

A person is guilty of vehicular assault in the second degree when he or she causes serious physical injury to another person, and either:

(1) operates a motor vehicle in violation of subdivision two, three or four of section section eleven hundred ninety-two of the vehicle and traffic law or operates a vessel or public vessel in violation of paragraph (b), (c), (d) or (e) of subdivision two of section forty-nine-a of the navigation law, and as a result of such intoxication or impairment by the use of a drug, operates such motor vehicle, vessel or public vessel in a manner that causes such serious physical injury to such other person, or

(2) operates a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than eighteen thousand pounds which contains flammable gas, radioactive materials or explosives in violation of subdivision one of section section eleven hundred ninety-two of the vehicle and traffic law, and such flammable gas, radioactive materials or explosives is the cause of such serious physical injury, and as a result of such intoxication or impairment by the use of a drug, operates such motor vehicle in a manner that causes such serious physical injury to such other person, or

(3)operates a snowmobile in violation of paragraph (b), (c) or (d) of subdivision one of section 25.24 of the parks, recreation and historic preservation law or operates an all terrain vehicle as defined in paragraph (a) of subdivision one of section section twenty-two hundred eighty-one of the vehicle and traffic law and in violation of subdivision two, three, or four of section eleven hundred ninety-two of the vehicle and traffic laws, and as a result of such intoxication or impairment by the use of a drug, operates such snowmobile or all terrain vehicle in a manner that causes such serious physical injury to such other person.

If it is established that the person operating such motor vehicle, vessel, public vessel, snowmobile or all terrain vehicle caused such serious physical injury while unlawfully intoxicated or impaired by the use of a drug, then there shall be a rebuttable presumption that, as a result of such intoxication or impairment by the use of a drug, such person operated the motor vehicle, vessel, public vessel, snowmobile or all terrain vehicle in a manner that caused such serious physical injury, as required by this section.

so sorry for your loss. IMO it doesnt really matter who did what, a man is dead and thats what matters!

I will keep you and his family and friends in my thoughts.

:hug:
Illinoismom

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz