GUILTY NY - Ian Sharinn, 34, killed in road rage incident, Long Beach, 15 May 2009

I wanted to just update you all on the trial against the monster who murdered our friend. While the outcome isn't exactly what we hoped for, it looks like he will go to jail for awhile. So many lies were fabricated by the defense in this case.... it was so hard to watch every day. :(

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/potts-found-not-guilty-of-top-charge-1.2970571Potts found not guilty of top charge

Evan Potts rose and turned toward the jury foreman, listening solemnly as the verdict was announced Monday in Nassau County Court.
Of the top charge against him in a deadly 2009 road rage incident, second-degree manslaughter, Potts was found not guilty.
But even as the Queens College student's shoulders fell slightly with relief, the jury foreman read the verdict to the lesser charge of criminally negligent homicide.

Potts was found guilty of that charge, which carries a maximum sentence of 1 1/3 to 4 years in prison. Judge Philip Grella allowed Potts to remain free on $500,000 bond until he is sentenced Aug. 16.
Deborah Sharinn, whose brother-in-law Ian Sharinn was killed after he and Potts got into an argument at a busy Long Beach intersection, left the courtroom afterward saying it was "just too much." She later said that while she is disappointed that Potts was not convicted of the top charge, she is pleased that he will be held accountable.
"He is now a convicted killer," she said.
The jury found Potts caused Ian Sharinn's death with criminal negligence, an E felony, because he failed to perceive the risk of his actions.
Potts did not comment as he left the courthouse. But his lawyer, Stanley Kopilow of Garden City, said he will appeal.
"We're going to fight it," he said. "I believe when the case is over there will not be any conviction."
Kopilow argued at trial that Potts, 24, of Oceanside, had no choice but to drive into Sharinn, 34, who was 6 feet, 5 inches tall and irate. Sharinn had blocked the road in front of Potts, 5 feet, 8 inches, with his car, and was standing, arms raised, in Potts' one escape route, witnesses said. Another car had pulled up behind Potts so he could not back up or turn around, witnesses said.
But Ahern said no amount of bad behavior by Sharinn justified what happened to him.
As she left the courthouse, juror Mini Jacob, of New Hyde Park, said the case is a tragedy for both sides. But she said that could not affect her verdict.
"It's not about sympathy," she said. "It's about the law."

I'm glad you got the guilty verdict MrsG. And yes as usual they didn't give him enough time. But at least he got something.

It does sound like the defense may be appealing, so unfortunately it may not be over yet.

Sorry for your loss & your husband's loss and praying for the victims of this tragedy -- nothing is worth running ANYTHING over with a vehicle, especially not a man (or a cat)!!!

May you & yours find peace in knowing what a great man your friend was & how he touched this world. Hopefully, this is a test that others can learn by. I have . . .

I wanted to just update you all on the trial against the monster who murdered our friend. While the outcome isn't exactly what we hoped for, it looks like he will go to jail for awhile. So many lies were fabricated by the defense in this case.... it was so hard to watch every day. :(

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/potts-found-not-guilty-of-top-charge-1.2970571Potts found not guilty of top charge

Evan Potts rose and turned toward the jury foreman, listening solemnly as the verdict was announced Monday in Nassau County Court.
Of the top charge against him in a deadly 2009 road rage incident, second-degree manslaughter, Potts was found not guilty.
But even as the Queens College student's shoulders fell slightly with relief, the jury foreman read the verdict to the lesser charge of criminally negligent homicide.

Potts was found guilty of that charge, which carries a maximum sentence of 1 1/3 to 4 years in prison. Judge Philip Grella allowed Potts to remain free on $500,000 bond until he is sentenced Aug. 16.
Deborah Sharinn, whose brother-in-law Ian Sharinn was killed after he and Potts got into an argument at a busy Long Beach intersection, left the courtroom afterward saying it was "just too much." She later said that while she is disappointed that Potts was not convicted of the top charge, she is pleased that he will be held accountable.
"He is now a convicted killer," she said.
The jury found Potts caused Ian Sharinn's death with criminal negligence, an E felony, because he failed to perceive the risk of his actions.
Potts did not comment as he left the courthouse. But his lawyer, Stanley Kopilow of Garden City, said he will appeal.
"We're going to fight it," he said. "I believe when the case is over there will not be any conviction."
Kopilow argued at trial that Potts, 24, of Oceanside, had no choice but to drive into Sharinn, 34, who was 6 feet, 5 inches tall and irate. Sharinn had blocked the road in front of Potts, 5 feet, 8 inches, with his car, and was standing, arms raised, in Potts' one escape route, witnesses said. Another car had pulled up behind Potts so he could not back up or turn around, witnesses said.
But Ahern said no amount of bad behavior by Sharinn justified what happened to him.
As she left the courthouse, juror Mini Jacob, of New Hyde Park, said the case is a tragedy for both sides. But she said that could not affect her verdict.
"It's not about sympathy," she said. "It's about the law."

Ugh...no wonder people can't stand defense attorneys...he should be so grateful at this most minor of convictions...:(

I am so sorry for your loss. What a horrible thing to happen-hugs and prayers to your family and your friend's family.

The big guy got out of the car to confront the guy half his size. He got violent, tried to enter the car the second time. He was looking for trouble, found it, case closed. That's why Pott's got probation, because Sharinn was responsible for his own death. And if I were in the same situation, I'd have run this animal down too. God knows who else he could have hurt. Zero sympathy and zero loss.

The bigger guy got out of his car, and tried to rip the door open of the other car. He was going to assault and probably batter the smaller guy. He was responsible for his own death. No loss at all.

Sorry for your loss & your husband's loss and praying for the victims of this tragedy -- nothing is worth running ANYTHING over with a vehicle, especially not a man (or a cat)!!!

May you & yours find peace in knowing what a great man your friend was & how he touched this world. Hopefully, this is a test that others can learn by. I have . . .

The bigger guy got out of his car, and tried to rip the door open of the other car. He was going to assault and probably batter the smaller guy. He was responsible for his own death. No loss at all.

that’s really cold. You sound personally attached to this case. Congratulations. You have succeeded in voicing your opinion.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back