NY NY - Irondequoit, WhtFem 14-23, 122UFNY, skeletal in shallow grave, front teeth overlap, Jul'88

Actually I know it's a bit outside the bounds of the parameters, but look at this person:

She went missing in Rochester in 1981, and although she is older than specified, she was short (from 5'1" or less) and could be mistaken for someone younger due to her height and weight I suspect.

NAMUS doesn't have the dental info posted, do they usually post it later?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually this is about 7-8 hours from NYC. I grew up in Rochester, and had grandparents in NYC. I am surprised I never heard about this. There was a serial killer in Rochester at this time, Arthur Shawcross. I would not be surprised if this was not one of his victims. O/T-In 1990 I lived right around the corner from him when he was arrested (8 doors away). I did not sleep for weeks. His victims were primarily prostitutes, however.

Edit: I re-read his history, and he most likely was not this Doe's killer, as he did not move to Rochester until 1987, and this Does approx. death is 10-30 yrs prior.

Here's some information about gold foils vs. gold alloy: http://www.colgate.com/app/Colgate/...heckupsDentProc/Fillings/TypesOfFillings.cvsp

Gold foils are less expensive than gold alloys but are still expensive.

This area would be about 5.5 hours from NYC. Timing makes Alcala possible but it would be a hike from NYC.

Could it be Sheryl Tillinghast?

Odd that she was not reported missing for 25 years!

I think Sheryl Tillinghast might be a good possible.

Her height and age are right. The timeline is right. The distance (nearly 300 miles) is a bit of a concern.

But what gets me is the resemblance. Her teeth are identical to those in the drawing.

2787997900045078242S500x500Q851_zps0e64b688.jpg

Also, the drawing aligns quite well to her photo, except that the top of her head rises higher. However, that might be because the high camera angle is capturing more of the top of Sheryl's head.

2211479350045078242S600x600Q851_zpsb1717917.jpg

I think it's worth calling in, but it may be difficult to confirm.

Although Sheryl is in CODIS, the UID is not, and I don't know if that they could get a good mtDNA sample from bones that old. They do have Dentals on the UID, but it doesn't look like they have dentals on Sheryl, and it would probably be pretty tough getting ahold of them now. And of course, there are no fingerprints.

I think Sheryl Tillinghast might be a good possible.

Her height and age are right. The timeline is right. The distance (nearly 300 miles) is a bit of a concern.

But what gets me is the resemblance. Her teeth are identical to those in the drawing.

2787997900045078242S500x500Q851_zps0e64b688.jpg

Also, the drawing aligns quite well to her photo, except that the top of her head rises higher. However, that might be because the high camera angle is capturing more of the top of Sheryl's head.

2211479350045078242S600x600Q851_zpsb1717917.jpg

I think it's worth calling in, but it may be difficult to confirm.

Although Sheryl is in CODIS, the UID is not, and I don't know if that they could get a good mtDNA sample from bones that old. They do have Dentals on the UID, but it doesn't look like they have dentals on Sheryl, and it would probably be pretty tough getting ahold of them now. And of course, there are no fingerprints.

Wow!! LOOK at the teeth comparison!! I totally agree with Carl!!! Frankr, are you going to submit this? I think you should... if you don't feel comfortable, I bet Carl will (he's good at that stuff) Just ask him...

I remember thinking it was Sheryl but sadly she has been ruled out according to The North American Centre for Unidentified Persons and Unsolved Crimes. I assume someone who knows Sheryl knew she didn't have this type of dental work done but I can not be certain.

Also ruled out: Simone Stephanie Ridinger and Tracy Ann King.

I personally don't know how much stock I'd take in the drawing since it appears NamUs intentionally decided not to include it in their report. I'm not sure how up to date it is regarding the new information.

I remember thinking it was Sheryl but sadly she has been ruled out according to The North American Centre for Unidentified Persons and Unsolved Crimes. I assume someone who knows Sheryl knew she didn't have this type of dental work done but I can not be certain.

Also ruled out: Simone Stephanie Ridinger and Tracy Ann King.

I personally don't know how much stock I'd take in the drawing since it appears NamUs intentionally decided not to include it in their report. I'm not sure how up to date it is regarding the new information.

I wonder what the basis was for the exclusion. If either dentals are available for SAT, or DNA is available for the UID, then NamUs should be revised accordingly on either Sheryl's page or the UID's.

If the NamUs info is correct, then a rule-out based on some other criteria may not be reliable. I know of two instances in my own experience where LE has "ruled-out" a PM only because the circumstances didn't fit with their theories developed on their unsolved cases.

I wonder what the basis was for the exclusion. If either dentals are available for SAT, or DNA is available for the UID, then NamUs should be revised accordingly on either Sheryl's page or the UID's.

If the NamUs info is correct, then a rule-out based on some other criteria may not be reliable. I know of two instances in my own experience where LE hasn't bothered to look at a PM because the circumstances didn't fit with their theories developed on their unsolved cases.

This is a very good point that I agree with. Like I said, the only exclusion I can think of is that someone knew that Sheryl had no dental work done or was missing teeth, etc. and we know exactly what the UID's dental situation is. I am 99% certain that there is no DNA available from the UID.

Carl, why don't you call it anyway and we can just confirm Sheryl has been ruled out? Sheryl would definitely fit and Ontario County where Sheryl is originally from is just south of Irondequoit.

I went ahead and called the Monroe County MedEx office to see if there was an official rule-out list for this UID. I didn't mention Sheryl Tillinghast.

He took my name and number and said that he would call me back.

I just received a call-back from Robert Zerby from the Monroe County MedEx office.

Sheryl Tillinghast has not been looked at by their office. He didn't provide a rule-out listing, but he will get in touch with the Canandaigua NY LE to see if he can get dentals on her.

One thing I Noticed about the UID's NamUs page is that the dental chart is not completed correctly. They left many of the spaces blank on the chart.

However, it does say that all of her front teeth (7,8,9,10, and 11) are marked "F" (i.e., restored with either fillings, onlays, or veneers)

Well that's what I get for paying attention to a rule out list. It goes to show you how wrong some of the info you pick up on these sites are. I actually picked up the rule out list from this thread: Ruled Out Unidentified Victims Rule Outs -MERGED- - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thank you Carl for your excellent and very quick thinking detective work!

He did say that they have looked at and ruled out several people, and he went to a list when I asked him about SAT. He said that the name Tillinghast sounded familiar for some reason, but her name wasn't on his list.

When I asked if they could provide me with a rule-out list, he went on to something else without answering my question. He didn't actually say that he wouldn't.

ETA: This is why it's important when updating our rule-out list to state the source and the basis for the exclusion. A lot of times, people will call LE, and when they never hear back from them, they presume that the MP has been looked at because they called it in. As we all know, LE in some jurisdictions (especially on the MP side) are known to blow-off tips from the public.

ETA: Even in NamUs, someone has gone into numerous cases and listed Tiffany Sessions as a rule-out. On one Delaware UID case, the ME has told me that he never looked at Tiffany Sessions as a possible for that case, and he doesn't know who put her exclusion in NamUs or what the basis was for the exclusion. FAIK, it could be someone from LE who is sick of getting call-ins with TS as a possible for every female UID in the country.

For what it's worth, I thought that the photo of SAT was a reconstruction of the victim done by a different artist. This looks very promising.

300 miles might be a problem but that distance would have taken Sheryl right home - she was from Phelps, NY, which is 38 miles away. Had she taken a bus home she would have probably gone through Rochester (which is where Irondequoit is) and which is the nearest big city.

For what it's worth, I thought that the photo of SAT was a reconstruction of the victim done by a different artist. This looks very promising.

300 miles might be a problem but that distance would have taken Sheryl right home - she was from Phelps, NY, which is 38 miles away. Had she taken a bus home she would have probably gone through Rochester (which is where Irondequoit is) and which is the nearest big city.

I focused on Wassaic as her home base, and didn't notice the Phelps connection. That definitely strengthens the case for this possible match.

Thanks Carl for calling and asking about Sheryl... I think this one looks promising!

I read about this UID victim on DoeNet awhile back and thought the details were too vague to possibly identify but it seems some of information on DoeNet is outdated and the NYS Police Website and NamUs have more accurate information that may now make Irondequoit Doe a little more identifiable.

White Female
17-20 years (DoeNet says she may be younger than 15 to up to 20)
Estimated year of birth would be 1952-1961 (DoeNet estimates 1938-1948)
5'1"-5'4", unknown weight, eye color, hair color
Significant dental restorations using gold foil at 7,8,9,10,11 (Doe does not include tooth 11)
Estimated date of death 1972-1978 (DoeNet claims 1958-1978)

UID is a victim of homicide, method undetermined, found in shallow grave at Irondequoit, NY which is near Rochester. A single white button was near victim per DoeNet.

122UFNY

Namus was updated last month with this information so I assume it to be more accurate and based on the latest findings.

The nose on that reconstruction reminds me of the nose on one of the still unidentified photos by serial killer Rodney Alcala. In particular, the long, blocky, wide and rather straight bridge. Generally with facial reconstructions, the closer that sort of area is in following actual bone the more accurate that part of the reconstruction is likely to be. Noses tend to be fairly accurate in the upper bridge.
122UFNY

Apparently Alcala once told someone that he liked areas with water towers and views of lights. Was there a good view and a water tower in the vicinity? However, I don't think there has been any evidence so far of him burying a victim (my recall may not be perfect on this) although since he seemed to vary his methods a bit in the cases we do know of anything is possible I suppose.

EDIT: I put in the wrong link, sorry
Girl with dark long hair and fur coat. - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
that should be the correct one to the Alcala photo.

Any updates on this Carl?

I usually give them a few weeks before calling in for updates. I keep pretty good track of all my call-ins and when I last called, and with whom I spoke on each one.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back