Found Deceased NY - Jakarah Lopez-Moore, 16, believed to be in danger, seen leaving her home on Weld St, Rochester, 25 May 2023 *homicide*

Unalienable Rights

Reaction score
1693893878458.png

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC) — Rochester police are asking the public for help in locating a teenager who went missing and is believed to be in danger.

According to RPD, 16-year-old Jakarah Lopez-Moore has not been seen since Friday, August 25. She was last seen leaving her house on Weld Street.

She is described as standing at 5’2″ and weighing 120 pounds. She was last seen wearing a blue jean jacket with writing on the back of it.

Anyone who has information on her disappearance or current whereabouts is encouraged to call 911 or email Rochester police at RPDTipline@CityofRochester.gov.

She was previously missing for two days in July 2020 at age 12.

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC) — It’s been two weeks since family of Jakarah Lopez-Moore heard from the Rochester teen.

Rochester Police have been involved and Saturday night, community members gathering for a candlelight vigil to raise awareness and hope.

The missing 16-year-old was last seen by her family on August 25. Earlier on Saturday evening, family and friends gathered at Clinton and Andrews Streets — the last known location where her cell was pinged, according to her family.

“I really don’t know life without Jakarah,” Christee Lopez, Jakarah’s mother says.

1697490712736.jpeg
Very sad news :(

October 16, 2023

The Monroe County Medical Examiner’s Office identified the decomposed body as that of 16-year-old Jakarah Lopez-Moore. They determined it to be a homicide. The exact cause has not been released at this time.

View attachment 453771
Very sad news :(

October 16, 2023

The Monroe County Medical Examiner’s Office identified the decomposed body as that of 16-year-old Jakarah Lopez-Moore. They determined it to be a homicide. The exact cause has not been released at this time.

Sad, I know that area well, worked near there until 2007.

Industrial area, a distance from where she was last seen on the other side of the river. 10-15 min. drive.

"The goal of my team is to find the person that did this and make sure that they're held accountable for that," Captain Frank Umbrino from the Rochester Police Department said during a press conference Tuesday. "Everything we do between now and the time that we make an arrest, we have to be very careful."

Jakarah-Lopez-Moore.jpg

According to WHAM, Jakarah Lopez-Moore’s death has been ruled a homicide. Lopez-Moore, whose body was located off a parkway in Rochester, vanished after leaving her home on August 27.

"She wanted to be an Indianapolis 500 driver. She wanted to be a truck driver, or trying to be a phlebotomist," McDaniels said. "She wanted to be a nurse. She had a lot of hopes and dreams."
1697651726554.png
An AMBER Alert was never issued for Jakarah because her case did not meet the criteria, as there was no evidence she had been kidnapped and police said she left home on her own free will.

"They have been doing good, doing their searching like they are supposed to, getting all the leads they could, they didn’t make it a cold case," McDaniels said.

"It's been 100 days and there’s still no answer as to how any of this happened," said Daysha Banks, Jakarah's godmother.

Banks said she's frustrated over the amount of time that's passed without any update on the investigation into her goddaughter's death.

"It’s still a nightmare and I’m still not waking up from it," she said. "It’s still nothing has changed. I don’t have closure. I don’t have peace. When I walk in my door every day, there’s a huge poster of her just sitting in my doorway. When I walk into my bedroom, her obituaries are all over my house. When I’m in the car every day, there’s literally like her little obituary is in the car. There’s things of her that remind me of her everywhere."

Banks is hopeful other families across the state may be able to benefit from the new task force.

Family members say that Rochester Police have arrested or detained a suspect in the murder of Jakarah Lopez-Moore. The 16-year-old girl went missing from her home on Weld Street, then weeks later her body was found, with signs she had been killed.

We are working to verify the arrest with RPD. The department has scheduled a press conference about the case for 1:30 p.m. today, Feb. 23.

Rochester Police announced the arrest of a suspect in the killing of missing teen Jakarah Lopez-Moore, a 27-year-old man named Reign Tapiato. He was armed when arrested, police said.

The last day Jakarah’s family saw the 16-year-old alive was Aug. 27. She told her grandmother she would be right back, then walked out of their house on Weld Street. Her body was found six weeks later in the woods behind an industrial complex.

Tapaito was arrested Friday and charged with second-degree murder and criminal possession of a weapon.

Tapaiato’s arraignment is at 9:30 Saturday morning. News10NBC continues to follow this story, and will provide updates as they become available.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thelittlebunny
Back