NY-LI 10 bodies found on Beach-Poss. SrlKlr-12/10-4 id'd; more found 3/11 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right, I made an assumption based on my first reading of that news article. I stand corrected. However, the source of that information has to be either JB or MP (or possibly the drifter, if he even exists) because who else would know that information?

Police would be able to tell by the security camera. I know that findshanangilbert.com claims the tape is missing but I've never read that anywhere else. One of the articles I read said besides the tape it's backed up on a hard drive.

I am amazed you guys can keep up with all the changing stories and details, all the mysteries. By now it makes my head hurt, trying to keep up with it all. I think I have it straight that the 15 minute trip is not something to be relied on, regardless of who said it. And it is a story told late in the game by someone who thought an explanation was needed, I guess because they know they were seen leaving. Do I have that right?

I was looking at the day of the week each of the ladies vanished --

Maureen - Monday
Melissa - Sunday
Shannan - Saturday
Megan - Sunday
Amber - Thursday

(I think this is correct..)

The Thursday seems a little out of sync...but sounds like to me the killer has a lot of free time on his hands.

Maureen - Monday
Melissa - Sunday
Shannan - Saturday
Megan - Sunday
Amber - Thursday

The Thursday seems a little out of sync...but sounds like to me the killer has a lot of free time on his hands.

Like an unemployed financial advisor? =)

Mountain Kat,

No, there are no convenience stores in Oak Beach. The closest place to get condoms, smokes or say rolling paper would be the Shell gas station on Montauk Hwy in West Islip. It is just east of the Robert Moses Causeway. It is about a 7 minute drive at 70 MPH from Oak Beach.

That CVS call really puzzles me because JB definitely knows that the CVS is open. He grew up right around the corner from there and it has always been a 24 hour CVS.

I think the key to this case is the 3-4 calls to the driver after 3AM. My guess is that MP got another gig for SG after JB's time. But she didn't want to go because she knows the guy and she is scared of him. I wonder if she knew of any of the other girls that went missing after receiving a high dollar offer from a "regular" and she knows her demise. The only problem is that MP already told the guy that he is in Oak Beach and he can deliver her to him shortly because he is close by. Once SG hears that MP told him they are in Oak Beach she freaks out! She knows she is in danger plus she is on a high from the stuff she smoked with JB.

I hope we get more info from LE soon!

Goathairjones, I really like this theory! It makes so much sense.

I wonder whether this SK has multiple dumping grounds, and that's why they haven't found or identified SG?

I remember Bundy had a couple of regular spots where multiple women were found.

Also maybe multiple locations for different times of the year. Hard to believe he could control his impulses to summer months only. I just called local Walgreens. It took 47 seconds to dial the number, scroll through 2 dept. messages and hear store hours. 52 secs. to dial number, listen to msgs to reach pharmacist by pressing 0 (during busy time of day). There would have been time to hear store hours.

Maureen - Monday
Melissa - Sunday
Shannan - Saturday
Megan - Sunday
Amber - Thursday

I noticed this as well, Mrs. PC. The only thing that stands out to me with respect to the Thursday disappearance is that Amber was the only girl that was local, so procuring her would have taken less time and less planning.

Also maybe multiple locations for different times of the year. Hard to believe he could control his impulses to summer months only.

One possible theory is that he lives on the Island year round and chooses the summer months because you can hide in plain sight w/ all the extra people the island gets. It would also throw the police off. More people in the summer = more suspects to sift through. And it could open up the possibility that police would waste time pursuing someone who only came up during the summer months. Meanwhile, the police are probably tied up with people speeding and drunk tourists.

He might even hold on to the body for a few months until the tourists aren't around to dispose of the bodies.

Mountain Kat,

No, there are no convenience stores in Oak Beach. The closest place to get condoms, smokes or say rolling paper would be the Shell gas station on Montauk Hwy in West Islip. It is just east of the Robert Moses Causeway. It is about a 7 minute drive at 70 MPH from Oak Beach.

That CVS call really puzzles me because JB definitely knows that the CVS is open. He grew up right around the corner from there and it has always been a 24 hour CVS.

I think the key to this case is the 3-4 calls to the driver after 3AM. My guess is that MP got another gig for SG after JB's time. But she didn't want to go because she knows the guy and she is scared of him. I wonder if she knew of any of the other girls that went missing after receiving a high dollar offer from a "regular" and she knows her demise. The only problem is that MP already told the guy that he is in Oak Beach and he can deliver her to him shortly because he is close by. Once SG hears that MP told him they are in Oak Beach she freaks out! She knows she is in danger plus she is on a high from the stuff she smoked with JB.

I hope we get more info from LE soon!

That makes a lot of sense.

I noticed this as well, Mrs. PC. The only thing that stands out to me with respect to the Thursday disappearance is that Amber was the only girl that was local, so procuring her would have taken less time and less planning.

Could be nothing, but that particular Thursday was the one prior to the long weekend (we call it Labour Day in Canada .. not sure about the US). Some folks take the Friday off to make it an extra-long weekend.

I think one reason for so many calls between Shannan and her driver is the calls kept getting dropped, so they'd call each other back. Still, she spent a lot of time on the phone, especially considering she was working by the hour. Maybe that big block from 2:57-3:17 is when she went out in the car with JB, and stayed on the phone with her driver for safety?

2AM Arrive
2:55 1 minute call to CVS
2:57-3:17 17 minutes, with a 3 minute break

4:09-4:10 1 minute
4:51 on (911)

By Athima Chansanchai
While crime shows still show a lot of gumshoe detective work in the pursuit of the most depraved lawbreakers, they've also incorporated resident computer geniuses who often prove pivotal to solving cases. Real life isn't far behind, with police now regularly going online to find clues.

[...]

It's often a hot trail for detectives to follow, full of potential, but also full of red herrings, which the Times piece also points out: fake emails, disposable cellphones and hacked Wi-Fi.​
article link

By AL BAKER, New York Times
Published: May 1, 2011

The four bodies were discarded and hidden in the deep brush along Ocean Parkway on Long Island over a three-year period. They were all women, thought to have been killed by the same person.

And once the victims were identified in January, another common thread emerged: They were all prostitutes who advertised their services on Craigslist.

As Web sites like Craigslist and Facebook have grown in popularity, they have become a resource both for criminals to solicit potential victims and for law enforcement officials in search of suspects.

[...]

Each of them — Megan Waterman, 22; Melissa Barthelemy, 24; Maureen Brainard-Barnes, 25; and Amber Lynn Costello, 27 — left behind a digital data trail that detectives can mine for photographs, phone numbers and more.

Craigslist stores classified postings and the Internet Protocol addresses of the computer used to post them. The site might also have e-mail addresses for clients who replied to an advertisement.

From there, detectives with a court order, subpoena or a declaration of an emergency could contact the Internet service providers of the women, and of their clients, to look through e-mails for correspondence.

A cellphone number from an e-mail or a Web log archived by Craigslist could lead down another path: Investigators could contact the cellphone company to obtain call records, stored text messages and geographic location data revealing approximately where people have been, and when.

The Internet Protocol address — unique numbers identifying a computer’s network connection on the Web — can lead to a computer’s location, once a cable or phone company divulges where the subscriber was hooked up.

All the data and electronic leads are being carefully analyzed and evaluated, Dominick Varrone, the chief of detectives at the Suffolk County Police Department, said in an interview.

article link

One possible theory is that he lives on the Island year round and chooses the summer months because you can hide in plain sight w/ all the extra people the island gets. It would also throw the police off. More people in the summer = more suspects to sift through. And it could open up the possibility that police would waste time pursuing someone who only came up during the summer months. Meanwhile, the police are probably tied up with people speeding and drunk tourists.

He might even hold on to the body for a few months until the tourists aren't around to dispose of the bodies.

This would be possible if this were your typical Island. However, around here, our population actually decreases during the sommer months. It's often published how for every rare tourist visitor we receive in the summer (compared to other islands), there are six residents who leave the island to vacation elsewhere.

posted by: Katie Waldeck 5 hours ago

Unsurprisingly, major news outlets generally ignored the disappearances of these four women -- with one telling exception. In October 2010, the Long Island Press published "Lost Girls: When Women Go Missing on LI Some Matter, Prostitutes Don't," detailing the disappearance of Waterman just two months before her body was discovered.

[...]

Case in point: when Waterman's family finally caught the attention of CNN's Jane Velez-Mitchell Show, they received cruel comments but no tips. Comments like, as Lorraine Ela, Waterman's mother, details to Gallucci, "'She was asking for it' or 'she was hooking' or 'why do you say boyfriend, he was her pimp, come on.'"

When the four bodies were discovered in December, though, the case catapulted into the international news. But the overarching framework of sex workers as "less than human" was still there. The New York Daily News, for instance, referred to the murders as a "hooker slay" on its front page.
article link

because it's a crime commited during the commision of another crime...

so sad...they feel they have to exploit the victim that way....headline should read

MURDERING JOHN ON THE LOOSE.

There is no way you can get from Oak Beach to that CVS and back in 15 minutes. You can make it to Gilgo in that time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mcameo6