GUILTY NY - Michelle Lee, 24, NYPD criminologist, brutally murdered, 27 April 2009

I wonder if the roommate didn't get home late and having to work the next day she just came into the apt and headed right to her bedroom without taking in anything in the rooms leading to her bedroom. She did notice that her friend's door was open a little but didn't think anything of it. Didn't LE say there was no sign of a struggle? So there is the possibility that nothing was out of order in the rooms leading to her bedroom. Can you imagine how that poor girl felt when she went to wake up her friend and found her in that horrible condition!

Right, but what about the smell, 3 days was it?

Does anyone know (provide a link) to what the text message said? I read the article that stated she had sent a text message but, did not read anything about it's contents.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Ruflossn

I wonder if LE is keeping the text message a secret because it links to the killer? You know how they keep certain details and information under wraps, things that only the killer would know.

I just re-read the article and saw something I hadn't noticed before: the roommate also works in the crime lab...hmmmmm..
I wonder if she really has been cleared?

I wonder if this is someone she "worked" with, or a perp from a case.
It was reported she was only working in the lab basically so I doubt it was a perp from a case. Someone she worked with is a good possibility especially since she had been texting with someone.

In her job as a criminalist, Lee tested powders, and ran hair and fiber analyses in the department's Queens lab.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04282009/news/regionalnews/sex_slay_shocker_166555.htm

As for the smell associated with her body, they have narrowed the TOD to between 6:00 pm on Saturday to 6:00 pm on Sunday. The roomie came in on Sunday night and found her early on Monday (8:00 am). The smell would not have been an issue yet, imo.

I noticed in those articles there is a discrepancy in reporting about a person first described as a neighbor and then as the landlord. Also, he says it was a house. House or apartment? :

"[The roommate] came running out" of the house on 41st Street in Sunnyside, said neighbor Milenko Nijat, 69.

"She was screaming. I asked what happened. She said, 'She's dead in the bed.' They seemed like nice girls."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04282009
/news/regionalnews/sex_slay_shocker_166555.htm

"She started to scream. She said she found [Lee] dead in her bed," said landlord Milenko Mijat, 69. "What happened was disgusting, very disgusting."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...lle_lee_was_burned_with_.html#ixzz0E811UMGV&A

I wonder what kind of person Michelle was. Was she the kind to not lock her apartment door, for instance? If that's the case, it's maybe possible that someone followed her home (from the gym, for instance) and let himself into her apartment because she didn't lock it..thus, there wouldn't be any signs of forced entry. I'm just wondering if she was the type of person who wouldn't often lock her doors.
She was a native New Yorker. Aren't they the ones who have ten locks on their doors because they know it is dangerous? (Plus she worked for the NYPD)

Thanks. You are right. For some reason I thought I read earlier that she was strangled with the charger cord. I was thinking she was bound with something else. I am probably following too many cases at once.

Ok. Just re-read the original article. It does say she was strangled with the cell phone charger and does not indicate what she was bound with.

"She was tied to the bed and had been stabbed repeatedly, burned on her belly with an iron and strangled with the cord of a cell phone charger" sources said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/04/27/2009-04-27_grisly_slay_hits_home_for_csi.html#ixzz0EAhGQ0P9&B

So not sure which article is correct. I wish we could get specific details.

This quote from the same article above has stood out to me from the beginning:

Investigators are looking to interview a few of Lee's ex-boyfriends, including one former flame who is stricken with terminal cancer, the sources said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/04/27/2009-04-27_grisly_slay_hits_home_for_csi.html#ixzz0EAl43kTR&B

Why single him out and be so specific? Could that individual be so angry about his diagnosis that he took his anger out on Michelle? Just a thought.

She was a native New Yorker. Aren't they the ones who have ten locks on their doors because they know it is dangerous? (Plus she worked for the NYPD)

Yes--I used to live there, and that is true. (I even had a type of security locking device that consists of a metal pole which fits into a hole in the floor and is angled toward the door--it fits into a metal thing in the middle of the door--you have to unlock it before entering. I can't remember what it was called....this was back in the early '70's !! * recovered memory, I think it's called a "Police Lock")

Anyway, she saw the worst of criminal behavior on her job-- I just can't imagine her leaving her door unlocked--at least not on purpose.

I live a few blocks away from where this happened and yes I have many bolts on my door and I close them as soon as I get into the house. The neighborhood isnt bad - but the access to the neighborhood is easy - trains, buses, parks everywhere, so you never know when someone from outside the neighborhood is just walking by. I am VERY SURPRISED NO ONE heard this girl screaming.

In my neighborhood we can hear everything, especially on a nice day when everyone is taking walks outside and sitting on their porches or steps. Very strange that no one heard her scream, unless she was strangled first and then mutilated after, which is what I think LE is thinking.

I have my mind set on a NYPD officer with a crush, who got really rejected. Or a neighborhood weirdo who followed her home.

I live a few blocks away from where this happened and yes I have many bolts on my door and I close them as soon as I get into the house. The neighborhood isnt bad - but the access to the neighborhood is easy - trains, buses, parks everywhere, so you never know when someone from outside the neighborhood is just walking by. I am VERY SURPRISED NO ONE heard this girl screaming.

In my neighborhood we can hear everything, especially on a nice day when everyone is taking walks outside and sitting on their porches or steps. Very strange that no one heard her scream, unless she was strangled first and then mutilated after, which is what I think LE is thinking.

I have my mind set on a NYPD officer with a crush, who got really rejected. Or a neighborhood weirdo who followed her home.

I'm surprised no one heard her screaming, either. The perp must have done something to keep her from screaming--drugged her, or sneaked up on her and done something so she didn't see it coming. Ugh.

You raise an excellent point, Medara. No one heard anything.

This could indicate she didn't have time to scream or fight the person because she didn't see it coming (the blow from the iron came from behind?) or the killer had her mouth covered in some way. My guess would be the attack was from behind and the killer hit her so hard with the iron she was rendered unconscious. (Why did she allow the person in the bedroom with her?)

It would also mean she either trusted the person or didn't know the person was inside the house/apt. If she were caught by someone following her home and he pushed his way inside, I would expect her to fight for her life and to scream for help. This must have been a surprise attack, imo. Was she asleep at the time?

It will be interesting to find if she had any defensive wounds to her hands or arms. They haven't mentioned it so far.

They haven't mentioned what clothes she was wearing prior to the attack which could indicate what activity she had been doing prior to her murder. Was she dressed and the killer ripped her clothes off? There would be tears etc.

Could it be revenge for her part as a criminalogist getting someone convicted of a crime?this was definitely a hate murder.Leaving the knife stuck in the victim indicates alot of hatred.I think this poor girl knew the person who murdered her.I also think the roommate has met the killer before.Sounds to me like the killer knew his way around the apartment.

does anyone have a exact address of the apartment building, so i can use google map and get a street view of the building.......thankyou

I haven't seen an exact address yet. They gave a reference of 43rd street, IIRC. I will try and find an addy tho.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of news out there, but here is a new one I have not seen yet.

http://gothamist.com/2009/04/29/cops_continue_investigation_of_nypd.php

The apartment had no signs of forced entry and police are going through her computer and cell phone records and examining her ex-boyfriends, "including one to whom she had been giving money but had recently cut off."

Bolded by me.

First time I have seen that statement. I have a feeling they are pretty close.

Between yours and Columbo's comments I think I need to go to the hardware store! I only have deadbolt and the lock on the doorknob. Oh yeah and one of those.....slider bolts.

I have been busy with work the last day or so and haven't been able to keep up with much. I was pleased to see that people are still talking Michelle.

I had heard that about the boyfriend with cancer this morning on NY1 - is LE considering him because of his terminal status - has nothing to live for, not going to live much longer so it doesn't matter what happens - that kind of thought process. Without the details of their break-up we will just have to wait and see.

I think a work associates, a neighbor or someone from the gym might make a good suspect if they could pin someone down.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back