NY NY - SALVATORE PERRONE, the "Son of Sal", 2012

Cops zeroing in on Brooklyn's Crazy 8 serial killer, rename him 'John Doe Duffle Bag' (NY Post)
Police have one video that shows the well-dressed, balding, mustached man walking 1 ½ blocks away from Friday’s murder of Flatbush store before owner Rahmatollah Vahidipour and a second video minutes later that shows him two blocks away, according to NYPD spokesman Paul Browne.
Even "Well-Dressed, Balding, Mustached Man" would be better.
Cops had earlier said they also wanted to speak with “Jane Doe Green Jacket” and “John Doe Bubble Jacket,” mysterious figures seen around Friday’s murder scene.
---
That still leaves officers also looking for a possible witness they’re called “Jane Doe Long Coat”....
They're inveterate nicknamers, those New York cops!

The middle aged balding man doesn't look like the sketch. I wonder how police came up with the sketch?

ktla.com link above now includes this hard-to-fathom detail:
But cops are hunting for two people. One is a serial killer, the other is a man who may help police catch the murderer. He was caught on surveillance video holding a duffel bag.
That seems to contradict a NBC NY report:
Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said Monday that police are trying to identify a tall, balding man with a mustache who was seen on surveillance video carrying a black duffel bag near the scene of the latest shooting. NBC 4 New York has learned that the same man was also seen on video near the second shooting in August.
Wanted posters still feature the original sketch.

Also from the link immediately above:
There were other similarities, authorities said: The bodies were all partially obscured by clothing or, in one case, a box. The shops all lacked surveillance cameras, and the owners were alone in the store. The locations of the shops are each about 4 miles apart, with addresses that contain the number eight. Money was taken from everyone but Vahidipour, who had $171 in his pocket.

could this be a case where they murder the first two as a way to cover up the real target? In this case the third murder? He might go on to do one more if that is the reason and then stop. Cause I just don't understand killing shopkeepers as a target.

could this be a case where they murder the first two as a way to cover up the real target? In this case the third murder? He might go on to do one more if that is the reason and then stop. Cause I just don't understand killing shopkeepers as a target.

Doesn't sound like a good plan to me, considering each murder increases chances of being apprehended.

I don't get the obsession with the number 8 in those three addresses. It just seems like a random coincidence. What are the odds that there would be an 8 in all of the addresses? Probably not that high, imo.

It is not a coincidence that all of the shopkeepers were alone, with no cameras, when they were attacked.

I don't get the obsession with the number 8 in those three addresses. It just seems like a random coincidence. What are the odds that there would be an 8 in all of the addresses? Probably not that high, imo.

It is not a coincidence that all of the shopkeepers were alone, with no cameras, when they were attacked.
It's pretty far down the line - I hope - in LE's investigation. Makes for a tabloid-friendly headline though. Sells papers.

Sounds more like a hate crime - though robbery hasn't been eliminated as prime motive.

It's pretty far down the line - I hope - in LE's investigation. Makes for a tabloid-friendly headline though. Sells papers.

Sounds more like a hate crime - though robbery hasn't been eliminated as prime motive.

I am not even sure it was a hate crime. If you walk through those neighborhoods and go into the little shops, a high percentage of shopkeepers are middle eastern men. It may have just been attempted robberies of places with no cameras, and it was coincidental that the victims were of the same ethnicity.

Another word on why nicknames like "Crazy 8 Killer" come about - purely historical context. Surprising that, when googling "Brooklyn serial killer," one of the top results is still "Albert Fish" (Wiki) - who terrorized Brooklyn (and other vicinities) almost 80 years ago, and was known, in the newspapers, as, variously, "the Gray Man, the Werewolf of Wysteria, the Brooklyn Vampire, the Moon Maniac and The Boogey Man."

All more evocative of terror than "John Doe Duffel Bag."

I am not even sure it was a hate crime. If you walk through those neighborhoods and go into the little shops, a high percentage of shopkeepers are middle eastern men. It may have just been attempted robberies of places with no cameras, and it was coincidental that the victims were of the same ethnicity.
Perhaps. If a coincidence, it's still a striking one. I would think many ethnic shopowners in Brooklyn, from Poles to Puerto Ricans, run businesses without surveillance cameras. We shall see! Hope they catch this idiot soon.

Somebody must recognize duffel bag man. I hope those pics are carried nationwide. He is probably recognized out of state too.

Time between murders one and two: 26 days; between two and three: 106 days. Assuming he does a fourth, how many days for this one? If the cops are on his trail, will it hurry him up, or does he go to ground?

'John Doe Duffel Bag,' a person of interest in murders of three Brooklyn shopkeepers, questioned by police (NY Daily News)
A key “person of interest” in the .22-caliber killings of three Brooklyn shopkeepers was being questioned Tuesday night by detectives.

The mustachioed mystery man dubbed by cops “John Doe Duffel Bag,” went on his own to the 68th Precinct stationhouse in Bay Ridge. He was not under arrest, but was being interviewed.

Police did not immediately release the man’s name, but two law enforcement sources said he was from Staten Island.
---
the rest at the link, with pictures; the man went to the stationhouse of his own accord

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back