NY NY - Sylvia Lwowski, 22, Staten Island, 6 Sept 1975 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
A cryptic question!

1. three days
2. 7:20 AM

Not a cryptic question and I'll try to make it short. Back in 2007-2008 when I really started to take interest in missing person cases, I sent a freedom of information act form to the local police.

There were thirteen exemptions as to why I could not see a lot of the information they had. They did send me a "Public Information Release Report". This report has the normal stats like missing person's name, DOB, etc. then under that it has a statement from the person filing the report. "On *** 1970, victims husband reported his wife missing at 1595 hours. He reported that his wife was last seen by him on ***1970 (the morning before) at 0720 HRS."

So that is 7:20 a.m. which makes sense, I'm pretty sure the job he had required him to be at work by 8:00 or 8:30 at the latest. The report tells more about what the husband did after he realized she was missing. The last few lines say "attempts to contact **** for more information met with negative results.

Ok all of that would have been fine but I went to the library to see if I could find anything on this woman in old newspapers on microfilm. I found one, it was a very small article, not even on the front page, no picture of her. The newspaper article said, "state police at ****reported that the woman was last seen Tuesday morning at 10:00 a.m. at her home.

So this report taken from the husband who left for work at 7:30 does not match the newspaper article that states she was last seen at her home at 10:00 a.m....no clue who saw her at her home at that time but it wasn't her husband because he was at work.

So I guess because I have these two examples in front of me, I tend to think the initial report for Sylvia with the 6:00 p.m. time is the last time Eva saw her. (I know the brother states 5:00 p.m., but maybe by the time he came to pick her up and the time they left the house it could have been 5:30, or 5:45, could be both the brother and Eva were guessing at a round about time that they left to go to the movie.)

The newspaper said 10:00 a.m. To get this other info, where the husband gave a statement I had to fill out papers, wait thirty days for them to send me a letter telling me they received my request, then wait another 30 days before I received the report. Even then I was only given one page of information. So really I'm feeling there is more that was investigated that we have no knowledge of. Sorry if this is long can't help myself. :)

Quote: GBMG, "Puts a little perspective on how everyone got around that night -- such as the trips to look around the mall for SL, the drive from the theater to MMQC's house (which I think I remember is near SL's, right?), etc."

Does anyone remember if MMQC said what street she lived on? Also I wonder who the ADA was at that time and who he questioned?

Quote: GBMG, "Puts a little perspective on how everyone got around that night -- such as the trips to look around the mall for SL, the drive from the theater to MMQC's house (which I think I remember is near SL's, right?), etc."

Does anyone remember if MMQC said what street she lived on? Also I wonder who the ADA was at that time and who he questioned?

I don't think the street name was mentioned, Skeet, but here are three ADA-related posts all from Thread 1:

Dushi, post 682: "ADA at that time was Thomas Lloyd
Just another fact to be added"

MMQC, post 901: "My parents lived next door to an ADA. I then asked my dad to come with me to ask ADA to do something. It was then someone finally contacted parents from LE. "

MMQC, post 1119: "I know ADA moved away. Don't know about him being alive or dead. I think moved to NJ."

ETA: This is the post that made me think MMQC lived close to SL (BBM):
MMQC, Thread 2, post 245:"We were in the 5th grade then went to Jr. high school together. That is when the friendship really bonded. Same city bus, same homeroom, same band etc."

Thanks GBMG, I had no clue the ADA's name was mentioned.

Thomas F. Lloyd, former ADA from Staten Island, lives in Stafford VA now...wonder if he'd entertain a phone call from anyone about this case? He is a widower now, his wife died in 2009.

Jmoose, was there a phone number listed? Also I wonder if the Staten Island Advance would be interested in doing a story on Sylvia since the anniversary is coming up soon? Mr. Paulsen is the assistant editor.

Jmoose, was there a phone number listed? Also I wonder if the Staten Island Advance would be interested in doing a story on Sylvia since the anniversary is coming up soon? Mr. Paulsen is the assistant editor.

I think I can find a phone number-and I wonder if the SI Advance might do an article! Sylvia's family might be on board with that!

Skeet-I am sending the phone number, etc to you in a private message

The only other one I found was on Hillside Terrace, Staten Island, a real estate lawyer, I googled it without the middle initial. Called but the number is no longer in service. Hope the other one calls back.

Thanks GBMG, I had no clue the ADA's name was mentioned.

I am not sure if it's the same one MMQC was referring to when she said her neighbor was an ADA. There would have been a stable of them, right?

I am not sure if it's the same one MMQC was referring to when she said her neighbor was an ADA. There would have been a stable of them, right?

Yes I think you are right. Is there one for every County? I guess Richmond County would be the starting point, since it appears that Sylvia and MMQC lived close to each other. If there is a road block with that, then maybe from there try to find out who served in surrounding counties around that time period?

In other thoughts, I wish our VI's would come back. There would probably not be any more dental records on her, but a William Golterman who worked at Willowbrook for one year, later opened his practice in Great Kills. Just wondering if he had been the family dentist for the sake of having more information about her.

I have been reading prior posts about the last seen time.

Still not sure about it all
If Mom was giving the statement to the police, it seems that the 6PMish time was when she last saw sylvia.

It seems to me that BF/F led people to assume that he dropped her off much later at a bus stop.
Asking MMQC to go find her at the buststop. Why would anyone think she would still be there hours later... unless they were left with the impression that BF/F had just left her

BBM: This just reminded me of something else. I'd need a second opinion from the VI's though.

I seem to recall on Staten Island, the buses ran like every 5-10 minutes. (Many people didn't drive so buses were heavily relied on). At least, the 4 bus that we used to take down Richmond by the mall. I can't imagine that Sylvia would have gotten out of the car, said she was going to take the bus, and that BF/F would have expected her to still be waiting by the time MMQC got there.

I can remember getting on a bus and seeing the next bus coming from a distance, that's how close together they were.

That said, one thing that seems to have obviously been overlooked - did anyone talk to the bus drivers that were on that route after Sylvia disappeared? If she'd been at a bus stop waiting for a bus, one of them absolutely would have seen her. Even if the case wasn't being treated as a crime, that seems like the first thing an investigator would do, to try to determine her whereabouts.

If none of the bus drivers had seen her, would that have prompted LE to take it a little more seriously?

Ugh.

I just tried again to request the private investigators pages of the Yellow Pages from 1975.

Last time I was told where in the library to find them, after my email had stated that I am out of state and NOT able to come to the library.

Hopefully I'll get a better response this time.

How close was the bus station to the mall?

There were several bus stops. One out front by Sears and several along the route in front of K-Mart

My father and I checked them all out.

MMQC, can you clarify a couple of things for me about the conversations you had with SL's BF/F after she disappeared?

(1) Did you get the impression (or did he say) that LE had recently contacted him? I think you said at one point that you think a reason his mother was having a "breakdown" could be that she was afraid he'd be arrested. Do you think that's why -- because LE called or showed up at the house?

(2) One thing you mentioned he said during one of those conversations was (BBM) "he had given her a very expensive ring and she takes off." Did you happen to ask him (or did he say) why he thought she "took off"?

MOO, his mother knew what happened. In one way or another she knew! As of that contact with him LE had not contacted him yet. Parents still trying to get LE involved!

As for me asking anything he cut me short and hung up!

Yes, I believe MMQC has said as much.

MMQC's father drove that evening, while MMQC looked for Sylvia as he drove (Don't know whose car was driven that eve.).

We drove in my Dad's car

AND, as far as anyone else picking her up I was the only friend that I knew of besides the BF/F that had wheels.

There were several bus stops. One out front by Sears and several along the route in front of K-Mart

My father and I checked them all out.

Thanks MMQC, do you remember if the bus company was the New York Transit Authority or another bus line that came through there?

Post 737 thread #1 Epiphany /MMQC

...Since we are revisiting the bus stop, I was curious as well. I wonder where the phone booths were located at the time, too. I am sure one would be located in the ice cream parlor.

Ice cream parlor yes, phone. Several just inside the mall doors too. NONE out by the bus stops.

Yes I think you are right. Is there one for every County? I guess Richmond County would be the starting point, since it appears that Sylvia and MMQC lived close to each other. If there is a road block with that, then maybe from there try to find out who served in surrounding counties around that time period?

In other thoughts, I wish our VI's would come back. There would probably not be any more dental records on her, but a William Golterman who worked at Willowbrook for one year, later opened his practice in Great Kills. Just wondering if he had been the family dentist for the sake of having more information about her.

BBM1: More, I think. I'm under the impression that there's a DA for every county, but unless I am mistaken (very possible), doesn't the first A in ADA mean "assistant"? That's why I thought there might be several in each county.

BBM2: Sounds smart to me.

BBM3: Are you specifically looking for the ADA MMQC contacted? If so, mb she can provide more info. I suppose an ADA from outside the county, while not having jurisdiction, could still have pull. But that might be a wild goose chase.

BBM4: I haven't read the posts yet, but I believe your wish has been granted!

BBM5: Doesn't it say somewhere -- maybe NamUS -- that dental records are unavailable? Not remembering where ...

Thanks for checking in, MMQC-it really helps alot to get some verification on some of this stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member