GUILTY NY - Trooper Joseph Longobardo, 32, shot to death, Pomfret, 31 Aug 2006

Holy smokes!

CARROLL, New York (AP) -- SWAT teams, police helicopters and state troopers converged on this small town near the Pennsylvania state line Friday after authorities said they may have spotted a fugitive sought in one of New York's largest manhunts.

Ralph "Buck" Phillips, who broke out of an Erie County jail in April, is suspected of killing a state trooper and wounding two others. He is on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted Fugitives list, the federal marshals' 15 Most Wanted list and was to be featured on "America's Most Wanted."

Marge Bortz, the owner of Cable Hollow Golf Course in Warren County, Pennsylvania, said police told her Phillips is in the woods around the golf course and has fired shots. Police did not immediately confirm the gunfire. (Watch to see the half-way house where Philips lived and how he escaped -- 2:26)

Bortz said she was told no one was hurt. Police, including a helicopter that landed on the golf course, swooped in about 9:30 a.m. and used a loud speaker to clear the course of about 100 golfers, Bortz said.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/08/ny.manhunt.ap/index.html

The article has it partly wrong...it's Ralph "Bucky" Phillips.

I'll be surprised if they take this guy alive...I pray they get him today...sounds like they have him pinned up. He strikes me as a "suicide by cop" type.

Another update...article says police believe they have him contained in the woods. They said a cop with a scent sniffing dog came up "a man" in the woods and that this man turned around and aimed a gun at the officer, at which point the officer fired several rounds. They don't know for sure if any bullets struck the man.

This is intense.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/08/ny.manhunt.ap/index.html

I've been watching this on MSNBC for the last hour and it is very exciting to say the least.

The last I heard he is cornered they say. and it is just a matter of time until they are on him. Dressed in camoflage with a grey sweatshirt and having a handgun they know of, he ran from his car this morning when he was ordered out of the car at a roadblock and it has not been said what he took with him. He could have 3 other handguns and a rifle, but they do not know for sure how heavily armed he really is at this time.

With 10 days to go on his sentence and escaping from prison to shoot I think 3 cops plus killing another, they are wondering now if he wants to go out in a blaze of glory or will surrender when he is finally surrounded. Hundreds of cops are there to help in the search and like we've heard, it is personal with every one of them.

It is personal with him too, as to get at him LE arrested his sister and put her children in foster care. Evidently that was the wrong thing to do, as when I heard Clint speak of this I could hear a little edge in his voice. Just my opinion of course.

What I learned from Clint Van Zant that was so interesting, is that should he still be out there and free come nightfall, the night belongs to the
SWAT teams. Helicopters will be searching for the heat eminating from his body, and they do have a way to determine if what they are seeing is from a bear, a deer or any animal that might be in the woods.

There was no blood trail from him after the officer shot at him, so he could be unhurt and will utilize his survival skills to stay hidden in these woods he knows so well, having spent much of his childhood hunting there with his Dad. They say he is so good at survival that he could bury himself under a pile of leaves and an officer could walk right past him and never know he was there.

At least he is almost captured. I just pray he doesn't kill any more cops in the act of being captured.

Scandi

ETA: Acc to FOX, there are approx 1,000 officers there. To escape he will have to cross a road, and every bit of that area is covered.

scandi said:
I've been watching this on MSNBC for the last hour and it is very exciting to say the least.

The last I heard he is cornered they say. and it is just a matter of time until they are on him. Dressed in camoflage with a grey sweatshirt and having a handgun they know of, he ran from his car this morning when he was ordered out of the car at a roadblock and it has not been said what he took with him. He could have 3 other handguns and a rifle, but they do not know for sure how heavily armed he really is at this time.

With 10 days to go on his sentence and escaping from prison to shoot I think 3 cops plus killing another, they are wondering now if he wants to go out in a blaze of glory or will surrender when he is finally surrounded. Hundreds of cops are there to help in the search and like we've heard, it is personal with every one of them.

It is personal with him too, as to get at him LE arrested his sister and put her children in foster care. Evidently that was the wrong thing to do, as when I heard Clint speak of this I could hear a little edge in his voice. Just my opinion of course.

What I learned from Clint Van Zant that was so interesting, is that should he still be out there and free come nightfall, the night belongs to the
SWAT teams. Helicopters will be searching for the heat eminating from his body, and they do have a way to determine if what they are seeing is from a bear, a deer or any animal that might be in the woods.

There was no blood trail from him after the officer shot at him, so he could be unhurt and will utilize his survival skills to stay hidden in these woods he knows so well, having spent much of his childhood hunting there with his Dad. They say he is so good at survival that he could bury himself under a pile of leaves and an officer could walk right past him and never know he was there.

At least he is almost captured. I just pray he doesn't kill any more cops in the act of being captured.

Scandi
When I heard pf this this morning, I was thinking that LE could easily wait until night, and once he is located by IR, they could easily close in on him, and wait for the right shot to take him down. They have Night Vision which is certainly going to give them the edge.

That's pretty much was has been said on MSNBC Buzz. Just now on FOX they had an ex-FBIman on who said in a couple of hours they will enter the woods to try to find him with very sophisticated maneuvers of tracking, I guess he meant from SWAT teams.

I wonder why they're waiting to do this. LE says they sill stay there in force until they have him, no matter how long it takes.

Scandi

scandi said:

Scandi

ETA: Acc to FOX, there are approx 1,000 officers there. To escape he will have to cross a road, and every bit of that area is covered.
Jon Leiberman of Americas Most Wanted was on Fox and Friends this morning talking about how they hoped to find Buck.......Jon was a wonderful help in our search of finding Laura......I wished him Luck......so that this came about today.....is great.
The fact that this man is possiably cornered should help. He is such an escape artist though, so it worries me. I hope he is captured before more loose lives....Its one man against 1000 right now.

I hope so too Sundayrain, If they're going to wait a couple of hours to go into the woods after him that would make it about 5:30 EDT, so they must be waiting for that edge of dusk.

I can just imagine the force of SWAT teams from many LE agencies {which even indcludes Pennsylvania and the woods are in NY} crawling thru the woods en group, spreading out like little Ninja's to find him.

Scandi

scandi said:
That's pretty much was has been said on MSNBC Buzz. Just now on FOX they had an ex-FBIman on who said in a couple of hours they will enter the woods to try to find him with very sophisticated maneuvers of tracking, I guess he meant from SWAT teams.

I wonder why they're waiting to do this. LE says they sill stay there in force until they have him, no matter how long it takes.

Scandi
If he only has a pistol, which is what it sounds like, LE can get away with trying to move in on him during the day. Still, if they want to be on the safe side, they would just maintain a solid perimeter, and get him tonight. Frankly if he was killed "trying to escape" it would save the waste of a trial on this scum. It's the cost of one well=placed bullet, versus months, and months, of wasted time, and money, convicting him. I'm all for saving the states money in cases such as this.

Buzzm1 said:
If he only has a pistol, which is what it sounds like, LE can get away with trying to move in on him during the day. Still, if they want to be on the safe side, they would just maintain a solid perimeter, and get him tonight. Frankly if he was killed "trying to escape" it would save the waste of a trial on this scum. It's the cost of one well=placed bullet, versus months, and months, of wasted time, and money, convicting him. I'm all for saving the states money in cases such as this.

Reported on C CRIER, shortly ago, the officer thought Bucky had more than the gun he was carrying, it appeared he had gun/s on his body also. Everything happened so fast, and it was very foggy, but that is the way the officer recalled the incident. I hope they capture this varmit soon and no one is hurt. but-

Yeah, Buzz, whatever with this cop killer, let them take him down, he is not worth the tax dollars. Donate the funds to the family of the man he killed!

It's 6pm in NY so I wonder what LE is doing. I have heard nothing lately on the news about this.

Buzz, what do you think this guy's plan is. He must know they have night vision and infarred capabilities to find him unless he is covered somehow. Do you think he has dug himself a hole under a tree root? I know that sounds stupid to ask :D , as though you are going to know what the guy is likely to do, but you have a different perspective on things like this as a male.

Scandi

Guys, I agree 100%! He that doesn't care about life is someone who shouldn't be allowed to live. It's just common sense. I say this is the day that "Bucky" season opened. And I wish them all the luck in finding and taking down their prey. He has killed and wounded those that society relies on to maintain peace and order. He has no right to continue to exist, IMO.

"He who doesn't care, is one who shouldn't be".

Ouote by Scandi:
"It is personal with him too, as to get at him LE arrested his sister and put her children in foster care. Evidently that was the wrong thing to do, as when I heard Clint speak of this I could hear a little edge in his voice. Just my opinion of course."

They can't arrest someone without a reason,or just because it's personal.As I understand it the LE had credible information that his sister was giving Phillips a safe haven,and that her children had physical contact with Phillips. The LE arrested her, because she was harboring a fugitive,and took the children away,because she put them in a potentially dangerous situation,he could have used the children as hostages,for example.

Caught! Local channels saying he is now in custody and is alive.

capps said:
They can't arrest someone without a reason,or just because it's personal.As I understand it the LE had credible information that his sister was giving Phillips a safe haven,and that her children had physical contact with Phillips. The LE arrested her, because she was harboring a fugitive,and took the children away,because she put them in a potentially dangerous situation,he could have used the children as hostages,for example.
That's a good reason - if she'd allow him in, that's risking her childrens lives.

Glad to hear he's caught, sad to hear he's alive. Maybe he'll make a break for it... but since they'll no doubt keep him handcuffed, the police will be too honorable to shoot him when he can't harm them. Darn!

I'm so glad they finally cornered him. The "tough" guy surrendered.

nancy said:
I'm so glad they finally cornered him. The "tough" guy surrendered.

I'm so glad no one else had to get hurt or be killed for them to get him.

Wow! What a conclusion. What a show of power by the New York State Troopers! My fiance was on the thruway today in NY and they apparently called in the troooper from Canandaigua NY and she saw a whole squadron of trucks and cars with their lights on screaming down the road past everyone in a convoy.

190 cops, many from NY in PA who deputized by the PA state troopers to get this guy. Very awesome.

Paladin said:
Wow! What a conclusion. What a show of power by the New York State Troopers! My fiance was on the thruway today in NY and they apparently called in the troooper from Canandaigua NY and she saw a whole squadron of trucks and cars with their lights on screaming down the road past everyone in a convoy.

190 cops, many from NY in PA who deputized by the PA state troopers to get this guy. Very awesome.

I loved today how the NY State Trooper spokesperson, who wasn't taking any crap off the reporters at the presser, when asked if it was "personal" with them hunting down this guy, he said, "It's as personal as it gets." :clap:

I'm so glad they got their man. And now he'll pay.

englishleigh said:
I'm so glad no one else had to get hurt or be killed for them to get him.
Not me - I was hoping for one more to be severely hurt, then killed....just so long as it was the right one.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back