GUILTY NY - Trooper Joseph Longobardo, 32, shot to death, Pomfret, 31 Aug 2006

Details said:
Not me - I was hoping for one more to be severely hurt, then killed....just so long as it was the right one.

:clap:clap:

Me, too. I just meant the good guys!! I would have loved for this guy to have been a "suicide by cop".

From Local News 4 Buffalo,New York:

from News 4 Buffalo
----------------------------------------------
State Police: Ralph "Bucky" Phillips Captured
----------------------------------------------
From News 4 -
(September 8, 2006) - - CARROLL, N.Y. (AP) -- Ralph "Bucky" Phillips, suspected of shooting three New York state troopers -- one of whom later died -- was captured Friday night after more than five months on the run, New York State Police Inv. Gary Colon said.
Phillips surrendered to police around 8 p.m., walking out of a cornfield with his hands up. The end of the state's largest manhunt came after a frantic day of searching that started with troopers firing at Phillips then squeezing him into a tighter and tighter hole just over the Pennsylvania state line.
Cheers went up at two state police barracks, one in Pennsylvania and one in New York, as news of Phillips' surrender spread. Twenty minutes later, cheers continued to resonate in the night air.
For hours, police had methodically tightened their grip on Phillips. Just before nightfall, 25 SWAT officers and 12 dogs swept through a cornfield where Phillips was thought to be hiding.
It is expected that Phillips will be taken to New York to face charges.
Friday's search started shortly before 2 a.m. in Pennsylvania when a police officer tried to pull over a stolen car. After a short chase, the car crashed and the driver, identified by police as Phillips, fled into the woods.
A half-hour later, Phillips stole a second car and drove back into New York, where troopers located him and launched a second chase, authorities said.
Phillips, who on Thursday was named to the FBI's list of most wanted criminals, jumped out of the moving car and ducked into woods, zigzagging back and forth between New York and Pennsylvania, authorities said. Police dogs tracked his scent for several hours until he was spotted by two troopers, Bennett said.
As troopers approached, Phillips wheeled around with a pistol in his hand but did not fire, police said. One of the troopers fired an undisclosed number of shots as Phillips disappeared into the thick woods.
The 44-year-old career thief who broke out of a Buffalo-area jail in April and became the subject of a huge search after allegedly shooting a state trooper near Elmira in June. The trooper survived.

<snip>

Great news that he has been apprehended without incident. Given the circumstances and his ability to remain free he could easily have taken a hostage or killed others as he was apparently heavily armed.

capps said:
Ouote by Scandi:
"It is personal with him too, as to get at him LE arrested his sister and put her children in foster care. Evidently that was the wrong thing to do, as when I heard Clint speak of this I could hear a little edge in his voice. Just my opinion of course."

They can't arrest someone without a reason,or just because it's personal.As I understand it the LE had credible information that his sister was giving Phillips a safe haven,and that her children had physical contact with Phillips. The LE arrested her, because she was harboring a fugitive,and took the children away,because she put them in a potentially dangerous situation,he could have used the children as hostages,for example.

I totally agree with you Capps. I just said it the way Van Zant told the story on MSNBC today. This guy had been in prison 23 out of the last 25 years, and of course he doesn't see things in a logical way. He even escaped with 10 days left to go! lol

Scandi

Hooray! I just watched the news conference on FOX, and he didn't have a gun on him when they took him. I'm wondering if he left all the ammo in the car when he jumped out and ran into the woods, which is why he didn't fire when the cops saw him and shot at him. He had his gun on these cops and didn't fire. Thought that was strange.

Scandi

Just confirmed on the local news that a Correctional Officer was terminated from his job,because he was involved in helping Phillips escape from jail,just before he went on his shooting troopers spree. Yikes .... that's not good.

capps said:
Just confirmed on the local news that a Correctional Officer was terminated from his job,because he was involved in helping Phillips escape from jail,just before he went on his shooting troopers spree. Yikes .... that's not good.
Oh wow, that's a new twist I haven't heard of. I've been following this case since he escaped in April and I was under the impession that this was a solo job. From what I understand, he worked in the common kitchen area and had pried a hole in the roof behind a refridgeration unit. This part of the building was a single story area, and he was able to make it to the roof and jump over the fence of the correctional facility. How much would you like to bet that they are either making that fence higher or moving it further away from the building?

I wonder what the guard's part in this was. Perhaps he was paid to "look the other way" when he discovered damage to the roof?

EDIT: I forgot to add that they found one of the missing rifles in the woods and they say the gun is consistent with the one that could have been used in the shootings of the two state troopers, one of them who died. They are doing a forensic ballistics test on it to determine if it is the gun. If it is, the next step would be linking it to the shooter, most likely Bucky.

I was also under the impression this was a solo job. I was always thinking;what the heck kind of security do they have there,where a prisoner can open up a hole in the roof,(with a can opener no less),and climb out and run away with no one seeing this. Now knowing about the correctional officer,it makes a little more sense,as you said Paladin ..."look the other way."

This C.O. is in deep doodoo. If the LE thought it was personal with what Phillips did ...they will have no mercy,when one of their own may be involved.

btw ... if you have access to local news,they do name the C.O.

Yes, I do live in the area, and after watching several 6pm broadcasts they made it sound more like this C.O. was being used as a scapegoat by the correctional facility more than anything. However, the broadcasts that I saw didn't get into the specifics of what the C.O. did or didn't do.

The only thing I heard last night was that the alarm did go off,but it was ignored.They didn't say it was specifically the C.O. that ignored it though. Interesting ...

I have a friend in Depew NY and she sent me this e-mail this morning:

Do you remember the missing mom from Jamestown NY (about 4 years ago)? well, police looking for guns (Bucky Philips arrest) found a body that may be this woman or another fitting the description (height, whatever). I think in the Jamestown case a cop is responsible for her demise. She was dating him, they broke up, she disappeared.

She said she heard it on the noon news.

Jovin said:
I have a friend in Depew NY and she sent me this e-mail this morning:

Do you remember the missing mom from Jamestown NY (about 4 years ago)? well, police looking for guns (Bucky Philips arrest) found a body that may be this woman or another fitting the description (height, whatever). I think in the Jamestown case a cop is responsible for her demise. She was dating him, they broke up, she disappeared.

She said she heard it on the noon news.
Yes they did find bone remains of a woman yesterday. They don't know the identity yet. So...is this the silver lining in Bucky's escape? 3 state troopers get shot, 1 of which who died, but the remains of a missing woman are discovered. This world works in mysterious ways.

From December 2006:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/20/nyregion/20bucky.html

Ralph Phillips, who became nationally known by his nickname, Bucky, after his escape from a jail outside Buffalo in April, was sentenced in State Supreme Court by Justice Richard C. Kloch to life without the possibility of parole for killing Trooper Joseph A. Longobardo during a gun battle in rural Chautauqua County on Aug. 31...

On Nov. 30, Mr. Phillips pleaded guilty to shooting Trooper Longobardo and Trooper Donald Baker Jr. with a .308-caliber semiautomatic rifle near the home of his former companion, with whom police said he sought refuge during the manhunt...

The judge also sentenced Mr. Phillips... to an additional term of 40 years to life for shooting Trooper Baker.

Later Tuesday, in Buffalo, Mr. Phillips received an additional 25 years to life for the jailbreak...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back