Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

I am curious to see what he does with the money. I don't think he can keep it; in terms of a PR move that would be kind of bad. $1.5 million isn't a huge amount in terms of what the world needs, though it's a nice big fortune to me, but I assume he will give it to a charity or organization?

That will be a tough call for him - I would suggest he give it away secretly, but then people won't believe he did it. But whatever he gives it to will be criticized... Obama is the ultimate "damned if you do, damned if you don't" punching bag these days.

I vote for a foundation or something in his grandma's name; perhaps to help grandparents raising their grandkids, as that is becoming more and more common.

"Who could argue with that?" she asks niavely. "Everyone who doesn't like Obama," she then answers herself wryly.
I like the g/ma foundation idea. That's nice. But I don't understand why you think he can't keep the prize money.

Congratulations Mr. President Obama

I like the g/ma foundation idea. That's nice. But I don't understand why you think he can't keep the prize money.

Congratulations Mr. President Obama

I personally have no trouble with him keeping the money, especially since he has kids who will need tuition soon.

However, I do think that, with people losing their homes and such, it will be a PR nightmare for him to keep it. Enough people will blame him for winning this in the first place, the prize money will just win him further criticism.

It was a total surprise, but in the past the award has been given to those, like Desmond TuTu, who were in the "process" of making a better world for people.

Obama, in just a few months has changed the PARADIGM of how we deal with other nations. Already the people of the worlds' respect towards the US has gone up double digits. WE have multilateralism again.

A city or more could be obliterated instantly with loose nukes. He has already taken strong steps towards lessening them.

We have already learned through Irag and Afghanistan wars that we can't just go out and "kick butt" for a few months, come home and say we "won" and we're better than everybody else.

In this ever-shrinking global economy, we're "all in this together" - recession, drought, global warming, endless wars affect us all, and the sooner we can work with diplomacy, cooperation and goal of Peace again, the better for our chldren and grandchildren, if they are to have much of a future at all.

I received this earlier via e-mail:

This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news. At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone.

This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people around the world who have fought for justice and for peace. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to hope and have worked so hard to make our world a little better.

So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue our vital work in the years to come.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama

It was a total surprise, but in the past the award has been given to those, like Desmond TuTu, who were in the "process" of making a better world for people.

Obama, in just a few months has changed the PARADIGM of how we deal with other nations. Already the people of the worlds' respect towards the US has gone up double digits. WE have multilateralism again.

A city or more could be obliterated instantly with loose nukes. He has already taken strong steps towards lessening them.

We have already learned through Irag and Afghanistan wars that we can't just go out and "kick butt" for a few months, come home and say we "won" and we're better than everybody else.

In this ever-shrinking global economy, we're "all in this together" - recession, drought, global warming, endless wars affect us all, and the sooner we can work with diplomacy, cooperation and goal of Peace again, the better for our chldren and grandchildren, if they are to have much of a future at all.

I humbly disagree. Obama should not be compared to Desmond TuTu on any level. I respect your opinion regarding your other thoughts in your post, but, again, I humbly disagree.

There is nothing that Obama has yet done, save for his promises and promises are words no matter how they are defined within discussion or in political address. This, in my opinion, is an award that should not have been given. If and when Obama achieves his goals, as he has shared/promised, then it would have been worthy of "The Prize". He has not even come close. I find it disheartening and disturbing.

Just my thoughts.

I am an Obama supporter as well, but I'm just not sure what to think about this!?!?!?

I do appreciate and support his diplomatic approach to achieving peace - even with "enemy" states. Lord knows, we've not seen this tactic for quite some time. And I'm not so sure it will hurt him but perhaps will keep him on that road, which will, hopefully, prove to be fruitful. The wars in which we are engaged are not his wars. Let's hope this award will encourage him to continue to pursue peaceful resolutions.....

I too think Obama was awarded the prize prematurely, but hey, it's better than getting a prize for most evil empire, right? The world views these things as outsiders, now maybe they think America is a peace maker. That can't be bad.
I did run across this article.
A list of non-winners at

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/09/nobel-prize-snubs-which-g_n_315625.html

Just a snippet:
Mahatma Gandhi
Cesar Chavez
Corazon Aquino
Pope John Paul II
Eleanor Roosevelt
Vaclav Havel

I am thrilled for him-he has nothing to be ashamed of in accepting it. I think it was a solid decision-his words alone regarding the Islamic/Muslim world put him in the running for it...jmo.

I am thrilled for him-he has nothing to be ashamed of in accepting it. I think it was a solid decision-his words alone regarding the Islamic/Muslim world put him in the running for it...jmo.

Then perhaps his speech writers should have won -- or the teleprompter.

We live in such a shallow world. Take some feel-good words, combine them with a little charm and a couple of Late Night appearances, and we have a Nobel Peace Prize-winning leader. Nope. It's an embarassment.

Apparently Obama was nominated for this award less than 2 weeks after the inauguration. I'd love to know who nominated him.

JMO

His speech writers did win, as did the teleprompter I suppose...it's the trickle down effect.

We are all making our comments in a vaccuum- until there is more information released with what led to the nomination and the selection, it is going to stay that way. Maybe he was nominated for having the balls and the wherewithall to break the glass ceiling to the presidency...if it is really broken.

Congratulations to him.

His speech writers did win, as did the teleprompter I suppose...it's the trickle down effect.

We are all making our comments in a vaccuum- until there is more information released with what led to the nomination and the selection, it is going to stay that way. Maybe he was nominated for having the balls and the wherewithall to break the glass ceiling to the presidency...if it is really broken.

Congratulations to him.

You are absolutely right about commenting in a vacuum. We really don't know why Obama was chosen. Although, true accomplishments are not often so nebulous. If Pope John Paul II or Ghandi had ever won, I could immediately bring to mind a running list of their accomplishments. It wouldn't really be a mystery.

As for the glass ceiling -- for the African-American male, Obama broke it. It's done. He became POTUS and he did it in a resounding fashion. Now he deserves all of the scrutiny endured by every other President. I certainly hope his supporters don't expect him to be coddled.
That said, there of plenty of glass ceilings left to be broken. I would love to see a woman as POTUS, but I would never vote for a female candidate just to experience the satisfaction of having that barrier broken.

JMO

Hi Martha:
What few months are we talking about? Nomination deadline was Feb 1.
So obviously the 11 days in office were not the determining factor in this selection. So, I am only wondering if his election in and of itself was the foundation for the award? But your couple months reference may shed some light on the time frame for me as to when he caused this paradigm shift; if that is what earned him the prize. Or is it his life work in general and doesn't really have anything to do being POTUS?

Hi Martha:
What few months are we talking about? Nomination deadline was Feb 1.
So obviously the 11 days in office were not the determining factor in this selection. So, I am only wondering if his election in and of itself was the foundation for the award? But your couple months reference may shed some light on the time frame for me as to when he caused this paradigm shift; if that is what earned him the prize. Or is it his life work in general and doesn't really have anything to do being POTUS?

He was elected at least partly for his stated intentions to bring unilateralism back and negotiate directly with even some enemies, like North Korea and Iran. This is a change. We have already started dealing directly with both countries.

He immediately met with world leaders after he was elected, to reset the tone of how we work with other countries. (not arrogant)

He has met with countries about controlling the spread of nukes, and I know that is a major goal. He is following through to end the war in Iraq as he promised and to close Guantamo.

He removed the controversial missile defense system in front of Russia, and gained their verbal committment, anyway, to put sanctions on Iran.

There are definite changes in policy, but no, he certainly hadn't achieved it by Feb. 1st. Did they not evaluate what he has done by this time?

No matter what, it is a suprise to everyone, and even many liberals agree it was premature. Obama himself seemed very reluctant to accept it, and viewed it as a call for achievement of future goals.

He certainly accepted it in a humble way; he can't really turn it down.

As one State Dept. official said: "Better accolades be thrown at us than shoes."

I have nothing against Obama, but this award is premature - way premature. Politics is not about just good intention and admirable speeches -- if only it were that easy.

Here is an article that offered ideas about the possible winner before the announcment Friday.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jTnkhriHnU0XdWkMX4I9VIX-YLHg

That's a good article; thanks.

I think the committee did give a statement on what they were thinking.

It seems to be an award of "expectations". I would not have wanted it at this juncture, were I the President.

He was elected at least partly for his stated intentions to bring unilateralism back and negotiate directly with even some enemies, like North Korea and Iran. This is a change. We have already started dealing directly with both countries.

He immediately met with world leaders after he was elected, to reset the tone of how we work with other countries. (not arrogant)

He has met with countries about controlling the spread of nukes, and I know that is a major goal. He is following through to end the war in Iraq as he promised and to close Guantamo.

He removed the controversial missile defense system in front of Russia, and gained their verbal committment, anyway, to put sanctions on Iran.

There are definite changes in policy, but no, he certainly hadn't achieved it by Feb. 1st. Did they not evaluate what he has done by this time?

No matter what, it is a suprise to everyone, and even many liberals agree it was premature. Obama himself seemed very reluctant to accept it, and viewed it as a call for achievement of future goals.

As one State Dept. official said: "Better accolades be thrown at us than shoes."

So are you saying his campaign platform and his first 11 days in office were the deciding factors? I am not drawing any judgement I am just trying to understand what he did by Feb 1,2009 that earned him this prize.
Thanks Martha.

Accolades would certainly be better than shoes....IF my primary goal was to be liked.

I personally have no trouble with him keeping the money, especially since he has kids who will need tuition soon.

However, I do think that, with people losing their homes and such, it will be a PR nightmare for him to keep it. Enough people will blame him for winning this in the first place, the prize money will just win him further criticism.
Yes, you are correct. Now we have learned he is donating the money. That is a very positive gesture. We must remember this was a shock/surprise for many including Mr. Obama.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back