'Offensive' Halloween costumes banned

Where I live, Halloween is an excuse for chicks to dress in the least amount of clothing as possible.

Read also the 'naughty kitten' thread.

'Offensive' Halloween costumes banned by US university

University of Colorado Boulder tells students to avoid costumes including cowboys, indians, white trash or anything potentially deemed offensive.
University students in America have been told not to wear "offensive" halloween costumes including cowboys, indians and anything involving a sombrero.

Students at the University of Colorado Boulder have also been told to avoid "white trash" costumes and anything that portrays a particular culture as "over-sexualised" - which the university says includes dressing up as a geisha or a "squaw" (indigenous woman).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...lloween-costumes-banned-by-US-university.html

I used to dress up as a cowboy. These PC people are whacked IMO.
It's Halloween. I think you could probably 'sexualize' any costume.
They didn't tell students not to wear sombreros on Cinco de Mayo or green derbys on St.Patty's Day.
My daughter's Christian pre-school wouldn't let them dress as witches or ghosts, so as soon as she got to public school, I let her be a witch for Halloween!

The thing people forget is that there's a line between mocking a culture and imitating it.

I see no problem with dressing up as a culture. It's not hurting anybody.

If someone dresses up as a culture then proceeds to use their costume to mock the culture itself and such, then that's what I have the issue. For example a girl at a party I went to dressed up as a geisha and then went around asking guys "sucky sucky love you long time" - that's crossing the line and she was rightly called out on it.

The costume isn't the issue IMO, it's the actions some people do when they've got the costume on.

Uh Oh. I was going to go as a pregnant Kim K this year with a compass on my belly. Is that offensive? :waitasec:

(I've previously been Sarah Palin, Gloria Allred and 'Octomom'.)

jmo

The thing people forget is that there's a line between mocking a culture and imitating it.

I see no problem with dressing up as a culture. It's not hurting anybody.

If someone dresses up as a culture then proceeds to use their costume to mock the culture itself and such, then that's what I have the issue. For example a girl at a party I went to dressed up as a geisha and then went around asking guys "sucky sucky love you long time" - that's crossing the line and she was rightly called out on it.

The costume isn't the issue IMO, it's the actions some people do when they've got the costume on.

A culture is not a costume. There's a difference between dressing up like Beyonce, and putting on blackface, and being a black woman for Halloween. Or dressing up like Pochantas vs. a Native American woman. And like you said, it's how people behave when they have the costume. People who like to dress up like an entire race for Halloween are going to behave in a very stereotypical, and racist way. Also, I don't really understand dressing up like a culture for Halloween, and then getting defensive when people who are of that culture are offended. How dare they not like my costume where I mock their entire race/culture! Basically, when the entirety of your costume is "I am a person of another race"---that is a racist costume.

A culture is not a costume. There's a difference between dressing up like Beyonce, and putting on blackface, and being a black woman for Halloween. Or dressing up like Pochantas vs. a Native American woman. And like you said, it's how people behave when they have the costume. People who like to dress up like an entire race for Halloween are going to behave in a very stereotypical, and racist way. Also, I don't really understand dressing up like a culture for Halloween, and then getting defensive when people who are of that culture are offended. How dare they not like my costume where I mock their entire race/culture! Basically, when the entirety of your costume is "I am a person of another race"---that is a racist costume.

I absolutely agree. For example someone in a Día de los Muertos costume wouldn't offend me, it is a beautiful and fascinating holiday. Now, when my neighbor showed up on Halloween a couple years ago as a fat Mexican guy with a tiny sombrero, talked in an exaggerated accent and acted like an a$$ all night, my opinion of him changed...a lot.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, it wouldn't occur to me to wear blackface or dress as Speedy Gonzalez.

On the other, healthy cultures throughout history have had special days when otherwise "taboo" behavior was allowed. It's an outlet for tensions caused by conformity.

In the contemporary U.S., we have Halloween and, in a few places, Mardi Gras.

Pot is legal here and there's a dispensary on every corner. I highly doubt anyone at CU in Hippy Town is going to be offended by a sombrero. JMO.

I do understand and appreciate this discussion for its cultural and political value though. :) Now, if someone wearing a native outfit had something negative attached to it, such as a racial slur, that would be something else. JMO.

Pot is legal here and there's a dispensary on every corner. I highly doubt anyone at CU in Hippy Town is going to be offended by a sombrero. JMO.

Yes, I am sure that many ignorant students at CU will not be offended by a sombrero. However, unless they are Mexican, their lack of offense is really irrelevant. It's not their culture that is being mocked, so why does it matter whether they are cool with it or not?

Anyway, anyone can dress how they want, but be prepared to accept consequences for your actions. Whether that is people confronting you, calling you a racist, a website that publishes your full name because you posted your costume online, etc.

He wouldn't be mimicing another race. He's himself as if he were a negative. I think you're confusing race and the photographic process.

So a white person could call themselves a "positive" and get away with blackface?

I do understand and appreciate this discussion for its cultural and political value though. :) Now, if someone wearing a native outfit had something negative attached to it, such as a racial slur, that would be something else. JMO.

My ex-DIL dressed up as an "Eski-ho" one year. Does it make a difference that she's an Alaska native? (And FTR Eskimo is not a racial slur in Alaska, it's what the Inupiat call themselves, at least all the ones I know.)

What's a "positive"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

It's the opposite of a film negative.

ETA: In other words, is it okay to paint your face a different color as long as you claim your costume isn't racial?

I work with a man who says his children are going as two black sports stars. The kids are white. Is it offensive if they paint their faces or wear a mask likeness of a black celebrity?

It's the opposite of a film negative.

ETA: In other words, is it okay to paint your face a different color as long as you claim your costume isn't racial?

I work with a man who says his children are going as two black sports stars. The kids are white. Is it offensive if they paint their faces or wear a mask likeness of a black celebrity?

The opposite of a photo negative would be the photo;)

The opposite of a photo negative would be the photo;)

Does the point I'm making not interest you?

It has been ages since I've used film, but there really is such a thing as a film positive. There are also E up (emulsion side up) and E down films, and you will be hard pressed to find a vendor who can produce them.

That announcement is the equivalent of issuing a campus-wide invitation to boldly mock the first ethnic group that comes to mind. lol Ridiculous. People need to get waaaaaay the heck over themselves, imo

Ugh. I am so tired of the "being offended" movement sweeping this country.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6
Back