'Offensive' Halloween costumes banned

We can. There is truth in stereotypes. When we stop laughing at ourselves we're done as a society.
I found Bill Maher's costume of Steve Irwin to be offensive, but he has the right to wear it and I don't think I have the right to prevent him. See also the thread on Hallmark's "gay apparel" change.

Yes, that's where I land with it, TS. If someone wears a costume that bothers you, don't hang out with that person or go up and talk to him and tell him you're offended or whatever. I don't think I have a right to police the fantasy character someone wants to be on Halloween. We can take umbrage with all sorts of human behavior, but I'd rather just laugh at it.

Of course not. Were I to go as a negative, I'd wear a white jacket, black shirt, white tie. whiten my hair, eyebrows and mustache, and darken my face.
Are we questioning Linda's black son's creativity? Do you know what extent he was willing to go to to pull it off? Do you not get the joke? Do you really think he was being clever or racist? I choose to think he was being clever. I get it. He was going as a photographic negative.

Of course not. Were I to go as a negative, I'd wear a white jacket, black shirt, white tie. whiten my hair, eyebrows and mustache, and darken my face.
Are we questioning Linda's black son's creativity? Do you know what extent he was willing to go to to pull it off? Do you not get the joke? Do you really think he was being clever or racist? I choose to think he was being clever. I get it. He was going as a photographic negative.

I'm sorry I even brought it up.

And I'm glad I talked him out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We agree on something. In an earlier post I used the word intent.
If your intent is to offend then it's offensive. But she claims it was the PC crowd that used the word all and if that's true then they are too touchy.

No, that's not true. I'm familiar with that kind of campaign and if you're willing to believe the 'PC crowd' as you call them make campaigns about all costumes of any kind that's kind of naive.

I disagree that intent is necessary. IMO it's possible for someone to be offensive out of ignorance. Same as if I went to a different country and accidentally made a gesture that was perceived as rude - I'd be expected to admit I was ignorant of how it would come across and apologize, not blame people for being offended by a rude gesture I made.

By the way, I'm genuinely surprised and horrified at how many people think that saying that a costume is offensive means they're trying to police what others dress up as... we're not talking about someone finding it offensive if you dress up as your town's mayor as political parody. We're talking about stereotypes that still hurt people. I think it's just being a considerate human being to acknowledge that and just not do it. It's not so hard. People seem to mistake freedom for 'being free to disrespect others for no reason other than personal amusement', apparently. Getting the word out and trying to educate people, or people being upset that someone is mocking their culture in a racist way, is not exactly the same as calling for execution by firing squad for anyone caught in those costumes. I guess some people just prefer to blame others and keep being entitled.

We also have all the womens costumes that look like prostitutes, with the labels "Naughty" in them, hence the outcry over the toddler "Naughty Leopard" costume at Walmart. These womens' costumes are also offensive to me as a woman. Like you are not worth something unless you are showing off your body!!

We also have all the womens costumes that look like prostitutes, with the labels "Naughty" in them, hence the outcry over the toddler "Naughty Leopard" costume at Walmart. These womens' costumes are also offensive to me as a woman. Like you are not worth something unless you are showing off your body!!

.... Looks down...I'm wearing naughty leopard costume ...

J/k:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, that's not true. I'm familiar with that kind of campaign and if you're willing to believe the 'PC crowd' as you call them make campaigns about all costumes of any kind that's kind of naive.

I disagree that intent is necessary. IMO it's possible for someone to be offensive out of ignorance. Same as if I went to a different country and accidentally made a gesture that was perceived as rude - I'd be expected to admit I was ignorant of how it would come across and apologize, not blame people for being offended by a rude gesture I made.

By the way, I'm genuinely surprised and horrified at how many people think that saying that a costume is offensive means they're trying to police what others dress up as... we're not talking about someone finding it offensive if you dress up as your town's mayor as political parody. We're talking about stereotypes that still hurt people. I think it's just being a considerate human being to acknowledge that and just not do it. It's not so hard. People seem to mistake freedom for 'being free to disrespect others for no reason other than personal amusement', apparently. Getting the word out and trying to educate people, or people being upset that someone is mocking their culture in a racist way, is not exactly the same as calling for execution by firing squad for anyone caught in those costumes. I guess some people just prefer to blame others and keep being entitled.

I agree with all of your posts 100%. In 2013, it has become worst to call someone a racist, than to actually be a racist. People spew their racist nonsense, and if anyone dares to call them out, they are told that they are too PC. Too many people have re-defined racism as basically being members of the KKK, so as long as they aren't out in their white hood, nothing they do or say can ever be considered racist.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back