OH OH - Jane Gault, 17, Barberton, 14 March 1982

Her name was Jane Gault. I think it was the Summit County coronors office. 1980-81. My sister has the copy of the autopsy report and will not let anyone see it because she is afraid to look into it. My parents are both deceased.

upallnite said:
Her name was Jane Gault. I think it was the Summit County coronors office. 1980-81. My sister has the copy of the autopsy report and will not let anyone see it because she is afraid to look into it. My parents are both deceased.
Jane Anita Gault

shelsearay said:
You may be able to get a copy of the autopsy because you are a family member; however, it has been my experience, if a case is an open file (like Sharon Marshall in Oklahoma City) they will not give you a copy of the report. It never hurts to ask. If you have a friend who is an attorney, have them write a letter. They have xxxxxx of days to give you the report, or reject your request.
You will likely have to go through several different offices or organizations to get the documentation that you seek. Put everything in the form of a formal written request and send it registered mail, keeping copies and receipts for your records.

Each state is different regarding Autopsies by medical examiners, but usually they are kept in a State Achive or Records building. Find out the phone number for such a place, call and ask for the procedures or forms that are required.

Another possible place to obtain an autopsey report is from the Officer of the Cemetery where she is buried, or possibly from the Funeral Home.

Police reports are maintained by the investigating agency of the local jurisdiction, but there might also be a report done through the state police - or possibly an initial report by whatever police agency was first summoned. I would send a formal letter to any and all such agencies.

Although the local papers might not have had much coverage, try contacting some of the larger metropolitan newspapers in the area to see if they might have covered the story more thoroughly.

Certainly the circumstances of her death would lead anyone to conclude that her death was a murder. If the police reports state otherwise, you could and should involve the state police homicide/cold case investigators to look into it.

Richard said:
Certainly the circumstances of her death would lead anyone to conclude that her death was a murder. If the police reports state otherwise, you could and should involve the state police homicide/cold case investigators to look into it.

Does anyone know how to contact the Ohio cold case office?

Hi Upallnite,

This is so sad and really awful to live with the fear you and your sibs have had and not know how or have proper help to find out the truth. Both Shadow305 and shadowangel have offered to give you some guidance which I think is wonderful. I have read so many posts by Shadow205 and somehow think she works in the world of LE. This might be a wonderful start for you.

I wanted to ask something which might be kind of touchy as you didn't say anymore about it, but what about the married cop. I'll never forget the Law and Order show I saw where a cop was the perp and had raped and murdered this gal - actually it has been the subject of many a good cop show.

I could easily see a cop a potential candidate for her murder for many reasons. Married, he wanted to stay that way, and the safest way might be to have Jane gone forever. A man of the community, I can see him bringing flowers to her gravesite on a regular basis over the years. He might feel terrible living with the guilt of an erratic moment of selfishness, and on the other side of the coin, he might be very dangerous too as he could have a hot temper. He could rewrite docs and even have them disappear as he would have access to them.

And knowing that Jane was seeing a guy named Chuck, the officer could have gotten ill gain of his coat and wallet to frame him for the murder. Hard to imaging a boyfriend killing here - Why? The copper, yes I can see many reasons for motive and oppotunity with him. Do you have his name? Have any other girls in the area vanished? Is he still on the force or even alive?

Jane and you now have two shadows behind you. I am just dying to know what they can do now, after all these years. I don't know what big city you live close to, but they must have a cold case office - most big police depts do. That's one of the first calls I would make.

I'll be watching and praying that you can have resolution Upallnite, and dig up all the info possible so a cold case squad will reopen her case.

Scandi

scandi said:
Hi Upallnite,

This is so sad and really awful to live with the fear you and your sibs have had and not know how or have proper help to find out the truth. Both Shadow305 and shadowangel have offered to give you some guidance which I think is wonderful. I have read so many posts by Shadow205 and somehow think she works in the world of LE. This might be a wonderful start for you.

I wanted to ask something which might be kind of touchy as you didn't say anymore about it, but what about the married cop. I'll never forget the Law and Order show I saw where a cop was the perp and had raped and murdered this gal - actually it has been the subject of many a good cop show.

I could easily see a cop a potential candidate for her murder for many reasons. Married, he wanted to stay that way, and the safest way might be to have Jane gone forever. A man of the community, I can see him bringing flowers to her gravesite on a regular basis over the years. He might feel terrible living with the guilt of an erratic moment of selfishness, and on the other side of the coin, he might be very dangerous too as he could have a hot temper. He could rewrite docs and even have them disappear as he would have access to them.

And knowing that Jane was seeing a guy named Chuck, the officer could have gotten ill gain of his coat and wallet to frame him for the murder. Hard to imaging a boyfriend killing here - Why? The copper, yes I can see many reasons for motive and oppotunity with him. Do you have his name? Have any other girls in the area vanished? Is he still on the force or even alive?

Jane and you now have two shadows behind you. I am just dying to know what they can do now, after all these years. I don't know what big city you live close to, but they must have a cold case office - most big police depts do. That's one of the first calls I would make.

I'll be watching and praying that you can have resolution Upallnite, and dig up all the info possible so a cold case squad will reopen her case.

Scandi
I know the police officers name and Chuck's name, I just didn't put them on here because I don't think we're supposed to do that, anyone interested can p.m. me. I don't know if he's still on the force, but he still was when I was in my early twenties.

Yes, I understand that Upallnite. You actually gave us a lot of info that is food for thought.

Scandi

Here is a link to the Ohio State Department of Public Safety

http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/odps.asp

And the Ohio Attorney General's office

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/

Obtaining documentation is critical at this point. Being able to demonstrate the discrepancy between the police report and the autopsy report will be the thing to get the attention of those in a position to reopen a proper investigation. If nothing else, the case can be brought to the attention of the media. As noted in the various forums, Dateline NBC is looking for leads on stories, and I think this would definitely warrant a look. I would be happy to lay out the basics of a letter for you, I've written to Dateline so many times onbehalf of the Sharon Marshall case I'm probably on a stalker list.

Do all states have a cold case department or is there a national number that can be called to get info on a unsolved case?

shadowangel said:
Here is a link to the Ohio State Department of Public Safety

http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/odps.asp

And the Ohio Attorney General's office

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/

Obtaining documentation is critical at this point. Being able to demonstrate the discrepancy between the police report and the autopsy report will be the thing to get the attention of those in a position to reopen a proper investigation. If nothing else, the case can be brought to the attention of the media. As noted in the various forums, Dateline NBC is looking for leads on stories, and I think this would definitely warrant a look. I would be happy to lay out the basics of a letter for you, I've written to Dateline so many times onbehalf of the Sharon Marshall case I'm probably on a stalker list.
So what should I do, contact the Summit County Coronors office and ask them?

Shadow205 said:
Well now you got my attention. Unfortunately, with small towns, things aren't always doccumented as well as they should be. Record keeping is not always up to par either. I assume that the medical examiners office is not in Barberton, Do you know where it is located? I would start with a copy of the death certificate, then a copy of the police report & autopsy report. I looked around a little but didn't find anything in News paper archives. If you want to pm me with name, date and anything else you know, I'll look around some more too.
I don't think I'd be afraid to get a copy of the autopsy report, but the police report, I mean, no way am I contacting that police department. This Akron Detective I know says Barberton has a cold case squad, but I don't know. Don't know if it's still dangerous or not.

upallnite said:
I don't think I'd be afraid to get a copy of the autopsy report, but the police report, I mean, no way am I contacting that police department. This Akron Detective I know says Barberton has a cold case squad, but I don't know. Don't know if it's still dangerous or not.
Upallnite,
Is this Akron Det. a friend? Maybe he would get the report for you. From the info you gave earlier, I got the impression the case was closed? Is that right? If so, then you should have no problem getting a copy of the report. There may be a charge but shouldn't be much. Usually just so much per page. Follow the advice given by others here on obtaining the autopsy report. It is important that you get that.

scandi said:
Hi Upallnite,

Scandi
Scandi,

You are right. I am a retired Police Officer, retired 2 years ago after 22 years.

Shadow205 said:
Upallnite,
Is this Akron Det. a friend? Maybe he would get the report for you. From the info you gave earlier, I got the impression the case was closed? Is that right? If so, then you should have no problem getting a copy of the report. There may be a charge but shouldn't be much. Usually just so much per page. Follow the advice given by others here on obtaining the autopsy report. It is important that you get that.
I think I could pretty easily obtain an autopsy report, it's the police report I'd have a problem with. Yes this case is very closed.

Shadow205 said:
Scandi,

You are right. I am a retired Police Officer, retired 2 years ago after 22 years.
And best of all, she's a Mountaineer!!!!:angel:

As a closed case, getting a copy of the report should not be an issue. Copies of reports are usually handled by administrative staff, and I doubt anyone working there would remember this case. To be safe, you could go with someone you trust, especially an officer from another dep't (possibly the friend from Akron). The number to Barberton's PD records and reports is 330-848-6703, maybe they can give you some info on how easy or hard it would be.

shadowangel said:

As a closed case, getting a copy of the report should not be an issue. Copies of reports are usually handled by administrative staff, and I doubt anyone working there would remember this case. To be safe, you could go with someone you trust, especially an officer from another dep't (possibly the friend from Akron). The number to Barberton's PD records and reports is 330-848-6703, maybe they can give you some info on how easy or hard it would be.
awww thank you shadowangel:blushing:

shadowangel said:

Thanx, I will start working on this tomorrow, want updates?

You guys are great and will look forward to reports. It is really very exciting I think. A couple of weeks ago on CTV I saw a show about a case that was solved after 20 years!

Hope does spring eternal. ;}

Scandi

upallnite said:

Upallnite, I think Jane may have gotten more publicity than you may have realized. I have always lived in Southern Ohio, and her name sounds familiar to me. But for the life of me I can't remember where I read it or heard it. First of all do you are any of your family still live in Barberton?

Okay the first thing you need to do is establish the exact date of death. Go to ancestor.com, sign up for a free trial, and go back to the page you first came to. Enter your sisters name and dates of birth if known. Click search. On the next page look to the left and choose birth marriage death date. Click on Social Security death index. Look there for a match to your sister's name, city or county, and age. They should have your sister's date of death- as it was recorded on the death certificate.
Next contact the local newspaper and see if they have archives of their newspapers on microfiche. If so go there search around that date and forward a few months. You should find some mention of your sister's death if nothing other than an obit notice. For a small fee you can usually make copies.
Call your local library (the main branch, not the satellites). See if they keep any of the old newspapers in any form. You will have to visit the library and register (free) to get a look at them probably. You have to do your own record search and copies are usually less than $.50.
Okay, now you know for sure what dates to look at. Contact the Ohio Dept. of public health and get her death certificate. (Fee is somewhere in the region of $8-$12 dollars).
Summit Co. Coroner's office. The local office should have a record.
Then make a day trip to Akron. Check the city papers. (And for some reason I am thinking to look for her last name being spelt Gault or Galt, I don't know why). So look under both names. If you are shy about questions, then say you are working on your family geneological history.
Since the officer who your sister was seeing worked for Barberton, leave them til last.
Contact the County Sheriff's office and request if they have a copy of the autopsy. In Ohio if your sisters body was found outside of the city limits, then the sheriff's dept will have an investigation report on it. If they assisted the city police in any way, they may also have reports. Ask to see them. (LOL, your genelogical history got you curious about the details of your sisters death, parents too upset to talk about it, barely remember her, etc). Ask them where you would find the autopsy report for your sister. Due to our coroner's system in Ohio- the sheriff's office may actually keep the coroner's records. (For instance in my county the coroner is a local doctor, and there is no "coroner's office".) Also, find out who did the autopsies for your county in '81. (In my county there is still no pathologist and any autopsies get sent to Cincy for the autopsy). Whatever office they used, for the autopsy is where you can find the autopsy report. That can vary from county to county.
Go to the county courthouse, to the probate court and check for any records they may have on your sister.
Did your sister have a family doctor, and is he still living? He may have a copy of the autopsy report.
Check at the local hospital for any records they may have on your sister, or on an unidentified body recieved on the date your sister was found. If your sister was taken to the morgue there, they may not have a record of her name. You may have difficulty getting the records there as your parents will be listed as next of kin, but it is worth a shot.
Okay, now you are ready to go to Barberton. Again, you were researching family history and got curious about your sister's death as family too upset, never would talk about it. Be very casual.
After you have assembled as much info as possible about your sister and you still have questions then ask the Akron officer as a friend to look at it with you, answer questions, etc. After getting his opinion, then explain to him about the possible City Police connection. Other possible resources- your family doctor. Also a nurse can help explain the technical jargon.
Hope this helps some.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back