OH OH - Jane Gault, 17, Barberton, 14 March 1982

Wouldn't you think the paper would have a record of who paid for that note? If it was put in by a fellow student of hers I wonder if it is the same person who brings flowers to her gravesite. Was her boyfriend a fellow student?

Scandi

My brother was reportedly killed in a car accident, but there was more...

Anyway, I just found the wording of the ad peculiar. "Taken from the world..." has a definite religious feel to it, but maybe someone else close to the situation feels the same as you do. It would be nice if you could get the word out about your search for the truth to other people, there are probably folks who know something but have been unwilling to come forward. Maybe the largest local papers might be interested?

Have you PM'd a mod about your sister's difficulty in getting on board?

shadowangel said:
My brother was reportedly killed in a car accident, but there was more...

Anyway, I just found the wording of the ad peculiar. "Taken from the world..." has a definite religious feel to it, but maybe someone else close to the situation feels the same as you do. It would be nice if you could get the word out about your search for the truth to other people, there are probably folks who know something but have been unwilling to come forward. Maybe the largest local papers might be interested?

Have you PM'd a mod about your sister's difficulty in getting on board?
No, I haven't asked a moderater about sis getting on yet. I don't see what the difference is whether their e-mail is free or not. Alot of people know what happened to my sister and alot know about it. What's been scary for me is I've been approached by people that I don't even know telling me things. Some things I didn't want to hear. It's like people seem to know who I am even though I look nothing like I did when I was 11, maybe it's because I look alot like Jane. Some man approached me in a bar one time and declared that he knew what happened to my sister and did I want to know? Well, of course I said yes, but this other man started screaming at him to shut up, and telling me that he was drunk and pushing him out of the bar. It was so weird. Then just a month ago, this guy that I know started talking about that we were both from the Barberton area and since he is older than me, he asked me did I have any older brothers and sisters and when I ran a few names by him. He said that he lived right behind where they found Jane and described extremely graphically what she looked like when she came out of the water ( which, as you can imagine, I really appreciated) . It was shocking.

Maybe if the story gets out in the media, these people with info will come forward (anonymously) and get the truth out.
Have you thought of putting up a website? (I know nothing about how its done, but they seem to really work for gathering info).

shadowangel said:
Upallnite...I know what you're feeling, this is not a task to be taken lightly. And, in your case, we're speaking of a close family member, so that can only add to the anxiousness you are feeling. I had tried to get to the bottom of my brother's death in 1979, something my folks just wouldn't talk about. I never really found what I was looking for, but I can give you an idea of what to look forward to--roadblocks, brick walls,maybe harrassment, more questions than answers, and maybe a few nasty truths that could better be lived without. In my case, I was dealing with a branch of the US military, so I had some avenues available that you may not--and a lot more red tape than I hope you'll have to run in to.

Its takes a commitment to finding the truth, no matter what that truth may be. If I can be of any help, or at least moral support, just let me know, and I'm sure you have the full support of everyone else here. Some of us can ask questions that you may not feel comfortable asking, considering the situation.

As for the archives, even if the town's newspaper isn't archived yet, the story should have been picked up by other area papers, or even the news wires like AP, so something should be out there.
:angel: Big group hug.:angel:
Just wanted to say that I am so sorry about your brother.

shadowangel said:
Maybe if the story gets out in the media, these people with info will come forward (anonymously) and get the truth out.
Have you thought of putting up a website? (I know nothing about how its done, but they seem to really work for gathering info).
I think because of the slight danger element to this case, it would probably be better to keep hush hush about it until I really dig up some stuff, right? Right now, I know practically nothing, except that her autopsy report has been condensed to microfilm.

upallnite said:
I think because of the slight danger element to this case, it would probably be better to keep hush hush about it until I really dig up some stuff, right? Right now, I know practically nothing, except that her autopsy report has been condensed to microfilm.
My sister was saying that to , like we should call America's Most Wanted and I was like hmmm.

My personal opinion (and plenty of people will disagree later) is that you really own need to see the autopsy report and the police report. If they tell completely different stories, I think you'd have enough to go public on. There's no need to go into possible police conspiracy theories, just the differences in the reports will be enough to get people thinking (look what happened when this thread got posted!!!! Or, a better example-look at the Natalee H and Taylor B threads!!) At that point, it would be good to "sit back" and see the reaction among people who knew your sister and those who have claimed to have knowledge of her death.

shadowangel said:
That would make things a lot easier, wouldn't it? I found this, any idea who posted it?

http://barbertonmagics.com/obits/80s/82/jgault.htm

When was that posted, shadowangel? The wording doesn't bother me so much (you often hear that type of wording at funeral homes). My question would be a high school friend who continues to take flowers to the grave, more than 10 yrs later and who posts in the newspaper about her- well that person was more than just a high school friend. That is a person who was in love with your sister, or who has a guilty concious. Or both. If it was someone who was in love with your sister, why wouldn't they have approached her family at the time of her death? It may be worthwhile to approach the newspaper office and inquire about who posted the tidbit. Use the approach of you didn't get to know your sister well, and you would like to meet this person and get to know more about your sister. You think this person may be able to tell you more about her.

Upallnite, can you tell us more about your sister? How she lived, what she did, what her personality was, her habits. Where was she staying after she ran away? If this is difficult for you, then don't. It is not about judgement. But sometimes if we know the background info it can lead us into more areas.
Also, can you tell us who all has approached your family with possible info, and don't give us the name- just use a nickname or descriptive (red haired woman, man with limp, etc). Tell us what you learned from each of these persons. It does seem like there are secrets that want to come out. When approached by someone, don't talk about it in a bar. That is the very worst place in the world- except maybe for a dark alley. Get their name and just quietly ask them to meet you in a public place- a restaurant for instance.
Can you tell us about your community in the '80's? City, small town, political makeup etc. ?
Can you tell us about the people who were in your sister's life? Best friend, the man she hung out with, the officer she may have been seeing. Have any of them remained in contact with your family? Was there anyone who seemed to act oddly at her funeral or afterwards? Maybe excessive grief, more distant than before, overly helpful. Anyone who tried to get close to the family, which seemed odd?

Get your paperwork proving there are unanswered questions and possible problems with the investigation on your sister's death, before you approach media. They won't deal with rumors. But if shown proof, they may jump on it.

upallnite said:
I know the police officers name and Chuck's name, I just didn't put them on here because I don't think we're supposed to do that, anyone interested can p.m. me. I don't know if he's still on the force, but he still was when I was in my early twenties.
Hello upallnite,

Looking at Barberton Magic.com web site. I came across "Chuck Ingram"
and a photo.. Hope this helps in your search. Could this possibly be him?
barbcoping.jpg

Chuck Ingram (One of Barberton's Finest!)
Class of 1970

Upallnite-I got Shadow205's PM (I be a he, BTW!!) Way interesting. That report needs to be gone through thoroughly...When you have everything, you and your sisses need to sit down and compare everything, verify dates, locations...Its not hard to fake up a report. Calling it an accidental drowning eliminates the need for a lot of paperwork (and investigation). The autopsy report should show some sign of her being tied up. Not easy to do that to yourself.

I would recommend someone not known in the town go for the report.

We're with ya.

shadowangel said:
Upallnite-I got Shadow205's PM (I be a he, BTW!!) Way interesting. That report needs to be gone through thoroughly...When you have everything, you and your sisses need to sit down and compare everything, verify dates, locations...Its not hard to fake up a report. Calling it an accidental drowning eliminates the need for a lot of paperwork (and investigation). The autopsy report should show some sign of her being tied up. Not easy to do that to yourself.

I would recommend someone not known in the town go for the report.

We're with ya.
I am really anxious to hear what is in that autopsy report. According to upallnight, the medical examiner said that there was no water in her lungs? Makes drowning a little unlikely don't you think?:waitasec:

It is interesting to see how small towns handle tragedy especially when the citizen is not prominent. Upallnite, I hope you get all of the resolve that is deserving to you and your family.This is a horrible misjustice.And your sister deserves the respect and investigation that any crime victim should expect. I don't care if if was on microfiche or not. Keep at it.

I was so shaken after that e-mail today. Last night, and probably some of you watched this on tv, I watched cold case files and they had a story of a little girl who was drowned in a bathtub by her parents, in freezing cold water, and there was no water in her lungs. They said from the shock of the cold water it literally stopped her heart and her breathing. Anyways, I began to doubt this and I don't think I should post any of this on here, but I'm doing it anyways, but certain people contacted the Barberton police today and they said it was an accidental drowning. My sister who has the autopsy report says it says undetermined death. I will say that the canal was very, is still very shallow,like at most in some places 2 feet deep. Jane was a very strong swimmer. I thought about this earlier, how the police said she was walking across the ice and fell in, it was an accident. How do they know she was walking across it and that happened if no one was there. Also my sister who has the report said that her hands and feet being bound were not included on the report, just the no water in her lungs part. I'm hoping that once I get my copy of the report and the police report that I can find a name for the paramedic that picked Jane up, because my mom and dad were told by the paramedics that her feet and hands were bound. I'm also hoping that the autopsy report says more than anyone has noticed thus far.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back