Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #2

http://nbc4i.com/2016/03/31/police-identify-body-found-in-scioto-river-as-joey-labute-jr/

Didn't the first reports say that the body wasn't too badly decomposed? The article is now stating that it was quite decomposed and that's why they needed the dental records to identify him.

Yes. Detective noted that the body was in decent shape.

Also.... from the autopsy they should have been able to conclude if Joey drowned. Apparently, there is not a cause of death, but they didn't openly rule out drowning.
Therefore, Joey had been deceased prior to being put in the water. No obvious signs of trauma?
I have a million questions.

RIP Joey! The news media needs to get their heads out of their assess and stop reporting BS. When his body was found they said it wasn't too far along in decomp. Now they're saying he was so decomposed they needed to use dental records? WTF!

Also.... from the autopsy they should have been able to conclude if Joey drowned. Apparently, there is not a cause of death, but they didn't openly rule out drowning.
Therefore, Joey had been deceased prior to being put in the water. No obvious signs of trauma?

I sincerely hope that his family gets some answers, and I hope that Joey didn't go through hell before he passed.

This case affected me in a way that nothing like this ever has. I have no idea why, either. I didn't know Joey, though from learning about his interests I think we would have gotten along pretty well. I I frequent the bar where he was last seen and I've lived in that area for years. This is just crushing. I really wanted for this to end well.

I sincerely hope that his family gets some answers, and I hope that Joey didn't go through hell before he passed.

This case affected me in a way that nothing like this ever has. I have no idea why, either. I didn't know Joey, though from learning about his interests I think we would have gotten along pretty well. I I frequent the bar where he was last seen and I've lived in that area for years. This is just crushing. I really wanted for this to end well.

Same with me- I have become obsessed with this case and I won't let it go until I get all my questions answered.
I guess I feel as though this could have been my friend- this happened in my back yard- this happened in an area that I have frequented.
I've never questioned my safety. I have never worried about something bad happening to me in Cbus. It is just scary to think that someone potentially and purposefully ended his life.
It scares me that there are no known witnesses (that we are aware of)... it scares me that someone can just vanish from a bar.
Although I am so thankful that Joey's body was found, I am still not satisfied- this still isn't closure for the family.
So heartbroken for his family :(

Same with me- I have become obsessed with this case and I won't let it go until I get all my questions answered.
I guess I feel as though this could have been my friend- this happened in my back yard- this happened in an area that I have frequented.
I've never questioned my safety. I have never worried about something bad happening to me in Cbus. It is just scary to think that someone potentially and purposefully ended his life.
It scares me that there are no known witnesses (that we are aware of)... it scares me that someone can just vanish from a bar.
Although I am so thankful that Joey's body was found, I am still not satisfied- this still isn't closure for the family.
So heartbroken for his family :(

I totally agree, bighair. I'm not planning on just letting this case die. He and his family deserve much better than that. They need to be able to have full closure.

I'm certainly not surprised that a detective on the scene when a body was pulled from the river has a different definition of the condition of the body than the coroner would. One is an expert in the field, the other would was not specially trained in that field.

Rest In Peace, Joey. And if some one caused you harm, I pray they are caught.

RIP Joey. Does anyone know if Columbus or Ohio actually still uses coroners instead of medical examiners?

In our county, and in our neighboring counties in NE Ohio, we have county coroners. The coroners are elected officials who are physicians.

I seriously am not much into conspiracy theories or anything, but this whole scenario of young, good looking college aged men leaving bars only later to be found dead in bodies of waters is just getting too concentrated to believe these are simply "accidental drownings" due to alcohol consumption. Was there any indication that Joey was even remotely drunk that evening? He just fits the profile to a tee, and just like many of these cases, I am sure his death will be ruled accidental even though there are many unanswered questions regarding his disappearance. I am sure that many of these young guys are perhaps dying from drowning--I just strongly suspect they were drowned before being placed into these rivers/lakes/ponds.

Anyway, this is sad. RIP Joey. A very sweet looking guy.

So very sorry Joey. Heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

:rose:

Not being confrontational but...why are people so convinced this situation is anything more than a tragic accident? Here in Cleveland we have an entertainment district on the river and young people out drinking and partying have ended up dead in the river many times-I know the family members expected him to be right back at the table etc... but sometimes young people out for a night of fun meet up with lots of other folks and bar hop and do all sorts of things they may not want to inform their family about- a male stepping to the riverside to possibly urinate is drunk or impaired and then they're gone-other acquaintances who may not even know this person well don't really notice and suddenly its the next morning and somebody has been missing 10 hrs. I don't know this happened ,obviously -but it seems more probable than a 24yr. old man being a victim of human trafficking.Also... look back on the last thread, there are statements about Joey being seen in other bars that night-maybe he just wanted to cut loose from his family and it turned tragic.

So who is lying and why? The detective was there and saw the body. Why would the police and or ME lie about the condition of the body?

Not being confrontational but...why are people so convinced this situation is anything more than a tragic accident? Here in Cleveland we have an entertainment district on the river and young people out drinking and partying have ended up dead in the river many times-I know the family members expected him to be right back at the table etc... but sometimes young people out for a night of fun meet up with lots of other folks and bar hop and do all sorts of things they may not want to inform their family about- a male stepping to the riverside to possibly urinate is drunk or impaired and then they're gone-other acquaintances who may not even know this person well don't really notice and suddenly its the next morning and somebody has been missing 10 hrs. I don't know this happened ,obviously -but it seems more probable than a 24yr. old man being a victim of human trafficking.

I think people are convinced because it is completely out of character for him to have walked off and left when he knew that his friends and some family members were there waiting.

Not being confrontational but...why are people so convinced this situation is anything more than a tragic accident? Here in Cleveland we have an entertainment district on the river and young people out drinking and partying have ended up dead in the river many times-I know the family members expected him to be right back at the table etc... but sometimes young people out for a night of fun meet up with lots of other folks and bar hop and do all sorts of things they may not want to inform their family about- a male stepping to the riverside to possibly urinate is drunk or impaired and then they're gone-other acquaintances who may not even know this person well don't really notice and suddenly its the next morning and somebody has been missing 10 hrs. I don't know this happened ,obviously -but it seems more probable than a 24yr. old man being a victim of human trafficking.

Because it's happening every week around the country for the past 20 years. Where are all the other ethnicity, short, fat, women also drowning? It's not happening because there is truly a serial killing cult targeting a very specific subset of Americans.

~article snipped

A forensic dentist made the comparison between the body and LaBute's dental records. LaBute's family was notified of the match, and his name was released this morning by Franklin County Coroner Anahi Ortiz.

Columbus police still don't know if foul play was involved in LaBute's death. His cause and manner of death remain under investigation, but police have labeled his death suspicious primarily because of the circumstances in which his body was found. Authorities said he had no obvious injuries and that further medical and toxicology tests are needed. That process can take several weeks.

Columbus police said detectives with the missing persons unit spotted LaBute's half-submerged body near the boat launch off Whittier Street near the Scioto Audubon Metro Park.

Police suspected early on that the body was that of LaBute, noting that the clothing resembled what LaBute was reportedly wearing when he went missing. But the condition of the body made its immediate identification impossible.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/03/31/Police-identify-body-in-river.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie
Back