GUILTY OH - Johnny Clarke, 21, & Lisa Straub, 20, murdered, Springfield Twp, 31 Jan 2011

Salsa..... 'listing to Johnnys mom 1st 911 call she said the girl called her after finding a ride and going over to Lisa's house to find out what had happen. The mom said during that call she was told by the girl that the house was locked the lights were on but the inside was disarray or something like that.
That is why she got in touch with Johnny's mom. After she went to the house and seen the inside. My question is how did she see the inside of the house? The police had been to the house twice and didn't see anything.

Yes, it's all very bizarre. So the call between the girl and Johnny was around 11 but the time of death was between 1-4 am. I think she was there.

I also question the story of the "friend" that waited 2 hours to raise a red flag. It is possible that she went to the home and saw it ransacked through a window only to have the killer(s) close the blinds after she left. I'm just not sure how much I buy into that theory though.

Now it appears the couple died between 1am and 4am? That really throws me off. Were they in there bound and unable to answer the frantic calls of their loved ones?

I also question the story of the "friend" that waited 2 hours to raise a red flag. It is possible that she went to the home and saw it ransacked through a window only to have the killer(s) close the blinds after she left. I'm just not sure how much I buy into that theory though.

Now it appears the couple died between 1am and 4am? That really throws me off. Were they in there bound and unable to answer the frantic calls of their loved ones?

bbm

Yes, they were... and cell phones were smashed as well. :(

If I had overheard something like that on the phone and it suddenly went off, no way I would ever dare to go out there by myself.

I'd call the police and if they didn't take me seriously, I'd bring a GROUP of friends me to check it out.

Never alone. Something is not right here.

Mr. Verbosky said family members are convinced that whoever killed Ms. Straub and Clarke knew them and had planned the crime.

"We believe that they knew who they are. We believe they knew Mary Beth and Jeff were out of town," he said. "We believe they knew what time Lisa was getting off work and they knew they had an opportunity to do what they did."

Clarke had picked up Ms. Straub from T.G.I. Friday's after she got off work on the evening of Jan. 30. They got home around 11 p.m., and Mr. Verbosky said he's convinced they were attacked soon after.

"She was still in her [T.G.I. Friday's] uniform," he said. "My sister- and brother-in-law indicated that every night when she got home from work, as soon as she got home, she changed immediately, so she didn't even have time to change."http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110210/NEWS16/102100302

Mr. Verbosky said family members are convinced that whoever killed Ms. Straub and Clarke knew them and had planned the crime.

"We believe that they knew who they are. We believe they knew Mary Beth and Jeff were out of town," he said. "We believe they knew what time Lisa was getting off work and they knew they had an opportunity to do what they did."

Clarke had picked up Ms. Straub from T.G.I. Friday's after she got off work on the evening of Jan. 30. They got home around 11 p.m., and Mr. Verbosky said he's convinced they were attacked soon after.

"She was still in her [T.G.I. Friday's] uniform," he said. "My sister- and brother-in-law indicated that every night when she got home from work, as soon as she got home, she changed immediately, so she didn't even have time to change."http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110210/NEWS16/102100302

It seems to me that Lisa's family think both Lisa and Johnny were targeted. They made sure Lisa was there.

But....

Since Johnny and Lisa arrived home around 11 pm... I am now wondering did they walk inside and someone was already there?

It would still apply when Johnny supposedly said "Who are you?" 'What do you want?" "Why are you here?" In fact it makes more sense to me that they walked in on these perps when they came home from TGIF. IMO, they were there waiting for them to return.

imo

I stared at it for awhile today then asked my husband a moment ago. He instantly said 'an armless statue'. I wonder if it's the Venus de Milo?

450px-Aphrodite_of_Milos.jpg

attachment.php

I agree; it does look like the Venus de Milo. That was my first thought when I saw it too but couldn't think of the name of the statue at the time. Also, it looks like the statue in the picture, to the left of him...

Thank you for the transcript Wondergirl. It helps.

I had a couple of thoughts this morning about these murders.

I think the way in which the couple was murdered not only tells of premeditation, but also can provide suspects.

The victims' hands were duct taped behind their backs. The duct tape probably wasn't something the perpetrators found in the house. It was, most likely, brought to restrain the couple and was on hand when the perpetrators entered.

The father (or mother I can't remember which) has stated that when the father approached the bodies, there was a bag adjacent to them that contained duct tape.

Here is a question to the web sleuth community, and I am not sure if it is possible, but can they trace the duct tape back to a store and a specific sale?

I checked Google Earth and it seems that within two miles of the crime there is a Wal-Mart, Lowes and a Home Depot. Even if the perpetrators weren't going there to kill the two, they were going there to rob them and stopped to get duct tape to restrain them. The major chain stores in the area probably sell 95% of the duct tape.

The perpetrators probably didn't bring an old roll of tape from their house because it would have prints on it, it could be traced back to their house if they ever found that exact tape in use at their house and tape picks up hair and DNA on the edge of it when it is coiled.

I'm not sure if there is a way to get a subpoena for the major chain stores in Toledo and identify any transactions that included duct tape from that day, but I'm guessing that there wasn't much tape sold. If the person paid in cash, they could at least check the store video and see if anyone they have interviewed appears buying tape.

I know that many stores like Walmart keep detailed information as to what is purchased and when, in an effort to understand not only how much they need to have on hand, but when an item is popular. This would be a good way to use these systems to solve this crime.

I have a feeling that any people related to the crime are probably not talking, and this is coming at it from a different angle.

I hope I'm not going to have to delete my replies later on because I have not yet read all the pages on this thread. I have limited on line time these days and have been trying hard to read through this case here. So forgive me if this has already been answered later up-thread. I just wanted to say that I hope they did buy it at walmart because they have security cameras there. Also, there is a store even closer to the Straub's home - Menards (like a Lowes/Home Depot ) is right up the road, as is the Rite Aid I go to all the time. It's not far at all. Menards has security cams, I don't think I've noticed them at Rite Aid though, but they could have them. I also have something else that could be important to bring up here but will read some more first to see if it's been mentioned already or not.

-Sandy- local- (Holland, Ohio) living in the region of too, too many murders (Nevaeh
Buchanan, The Missing 3 Skelton Brothers and now this)

Are there any businesses in the immediate vicinity of Longacre Lane?

I noticed a fountain on the Google Maps, but, wondered if there are businesses that may have surveillance video. LE has probably already canvassed the neighbourhood for private surveillance video.

I used to go garage saling in this neighborhood and entire area every summer (did so last summer as well). There is an Elementary school just east of the Straub's home, i mean as in plain view from each other. THere is also 2 churches right down the road, one is particularly large, and also a large fancy building complex at the intersection to the east.

I am not ruling in altogether that this had anything to do with drugs. Maybe it did but maybe it didn't.

I also feel that is why Lisa had injuries that caused bleeding. She most likely resisted and they overpowered her by hitting her with something when they were raping her. That is why her ankles werent bound up, imo.

For it to be drug related the manner in which they were killed are not common to other drug dealing ending in murder to me.

It seems to be a premeditated plan. Bringing what they would need to bind them up.

I think whomever this was knew what they were going to do before they arrived.

So my options on motives are still open.

I just don't think Johnny was some big drug dealer or had stiffed someone out of a large amount of drugs or money. This just seems to be a little overkill for that, imo. Usually a drug dealer will have someone go in the home and put a bullet in the victims brain and walk out or burn the house down. This seems either very evil or very personal.

If Lisa was sexually assaulted it wouldn't surprise me if she was the first one murdered instead of Johnny. There is some kind of evilness going on here and imo they would make him watch as they raped her.. then kill her and then him.

I hope evidence left behind in the home will bring the killer or killers to justice and quickly.

imo

Re: the drug dealer angle- you may (or may not) be surprised how many "drug dealers" are around here. (and btw, your typical drug dealer isnt the same anymore as in the 1970's/80's. THey come in all ages now-I've even heard of 80 something year olds selling their pills!!) I dont know how we compare to other towns/ cities but let me tell you there is a huge drug problem in this region; particularly opiates/pain pills. Holy cow just about everyone seems to be either "on them" or selling them or buying them. Seriously. Its a HUGE Problem around here (and I'm not talking about slummy parts of the area , ALL areas- upscale neighborhoods that have mansions in them) have many pill addicts. There's lots of buying/selling/trading going on. I can totally see this being drug related for sure and I can see how someone would kill for them; I've seen addiction at its ugliest. Having said all this, I'm not sure how the scales would come in to use for pills, but I know other drugs are used for that?

If Lisa only had pants on (as per 911 call), AND there were interband pants under her neck, then where did the 2nd pair of pants come from?

What about the towel around Johnny?

The search warrant details "a" DVD was taken. Funny they only took a single DVD.

This clothing information seems peculiar.

are there any reports that state what DVD was taken by chance?

Thanks Colette- "Straub and Clarke both died of asphyxiation and are thought to have been killed some time between 1:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m."

This is one of the most substantial pieces of the puzzle we have received as of to date. Here is the revised timeline:

Sunday @ 11:00 pm - John and "Tiff" talk on the phone. Tiff states John plans on picking her up and is about to head out the door.

Shortly after the prior phone call -Tiff calls John back to tell him she is going to the store so he should wait a minute and overhears the phone dropping and along with the comment "Bro what are you doing"

From ~11:05pm to ~1:00am - Tiff attempts to reach both John and Lisa by phoning them and texting them. Tiff says she drives by the house and the lights are on. One statement places Tiff at the front door to ring the doorbell but there is no answer. Tiff calls one of her friends, who calls another friend who in turn calls JC's mother.

One would think this would happen one call right after the other, in a quick way. After someone tells you they think JC and LS have home intruders in the house, you don't ask how their day has been going.

Monday @ 1:03 am - The friend of Tiff's calls John's mother and explains what happened (the mother, in an interview said "why would you wait until 1:03 to call me?). John's mother calls Tiff and Tiff goes over her story.

1:21 am - John's mother calls 911 to report what happened. She also states that Tiff has picked up John's father and they are driving to the house.

1:28 am - Sheriff deputies arrive at the house and find no probable cause to enter. The exterior doors are locked and the the windows are undamaged. They cannot see into the house. They stay on sight for 11 minutes. The murders have already been committed by 1:28, the killer's car(s) were not noticed in the driveway or around the house by the Sheriff's deputies.

The time of death is most likely between 1:00am and 1:28am. The only other way I see the time of death going beyond that is if the plastic bags used contained a very large quantity of air (55 gallon bags), and the killers planned on the couple being alive for a while (to have someone come back and save them). The use of large bags in highly unlikely, and it is most certainly the case that the killers left the house prior to the first police showing up.

Tiff would have seen the killers car(s) present if they were in the house when she showed up earlier. The killers murdered the couple around 1am (or a few minutes earlier). The time of death means that it was after Tiff claims she checked on the house.

I think this is a substantial piece of evidence that points toward the fact that Tiff lied about checking on the house. Her creditability is now gone, I will leave you to draw your own conclusions.

This is just my opinion combined with the facts.

Re: the drug dealer angle- you may (or may not) be surprised how many "drug dealers" are around here. (and btw, your typical drug dealer isn't the same anymore as in the 1970's/80's. They come in all ages now-I've even heard of 80 something year olds selling their pills!!) I dont know how we compare to other towns/ cities but let me tell you there is a huge drug problem in this region; particularly opiates/pain pills. Holy cow just about everyone seems to be either "on them" or selling them or buying them. Seriously. Its a HUGE Problem around here (and I'm not talking about slummy parts of the area , ALL areas- upscale neighborhoods that have mansions in them) have many pill addicts. There's lots of buying/selling/trading going on. I can totally see this being drug related for sure and I can see how someone would kill for them; I've seen addiction at its ugliest. Having said all this, I'm not sure how the scales would come in to use for pills, but I know other drugs are used for that?

Unfortunately a lot of states are plagued with the same problems. It is a very large problem in my state from the inner cities to the rural areas. Selling prescription drugs is the second leading illegal drug being sold... with the illegal selling of marijuana being first.

The social economic area has nothing to do with it. It is the supply and demand and the money to be made that makes it happen anywhere. From the rich to the very poor areas.

I wasnt talking about drug dealers of the 70s and 80s. Still to this day the most common way drug dealings end in murder is by the thugs shooting the victims in the head or burning the house down.

I am leaning away from the drug aspect more and more. I tend to believe Lisa and Johnny were targeted for other reasons.

Now I do think it is a possibility that these perps thought the owners were away and this would be a great way to set up shop and sell drugs out of a home in an idyllic quiet subdivision where most likely they wouldn't be noticed.

I think either Lisa and Johnny were intended targets and this is why this did not happen until Lisa was home from work. Almost exactly at the time she and Johnny arrived as if someone was waiting for them both to return.

Or it could have been a robbery gone bad and Lisa and Johnny surprised them when they came in the door and the perps were never going to leave live witnesses behind that could testify against them.

IMO

This is a very sad story - 21 and 20 years old. So very young. I couldn't sleep last night thinking about the way these poor kids died. It had to have been horridly painful and terrifying to suffocate slowly with a plastic bag over one's head. Unspeakable, enough for a lifetime of nightmares. The poor families.

As a born and bred NY'er, I have to admit I'm somewhat baffled with the obsession with the gang culture in places like this small midwestern town. Growing up in NYC in the 90s, among myself and my peers (of all colors and backgrounds) gangs were seen as primarily the lot in life of poverty-ridden, uneducated teens and young people with literally no other options available to them. I just don't understand what would make middle-class white kids from small-town Ohio want to emulate these gang members. Perhaps it's the "MTV" culture...a lot of these kids perhaps are raised on TV and popular culture and see the gang life as a glamorous one, i.e., bling, easy money, etc. Being a product of NYC public schools, meanwhile, I saw first hand that essentially all gang members who don't somehow find a way to turn their lives around quickly end up either dead or confined to long prison terms by the age of 25 or 30, and also the fact that 99 percent of gang members are not living luxurious lives and in actuality are bringing in less money than the average minimum wage worker. Ugh. This whole obsession with gang culture among middle class white kids from these tiny towns just really baffles me. Lisa looks like she's from a good family. Did Johnny have a job? I just can't believe her parents would allow her unemployed ex-con boyfriend to live with her in her bedroom. Very strange, and very tragic.

That being said, again, these were young kids, and of course they did not deserve to die in this horrible way. It looks like Lisa was studying to be a nurse, and maybe she would have helped Johnny in turning his life around. Now we'll never know.

Anyway, my first instinct with this case is that the perps are acquaintances of Johnny's; I don't believe Lisa's ex-boyfriend had anything to do with it, and it seems too personal to be a stranger or random crime. RIP Johnny and Lisa. Hoping the killers are caught soon.

Well, Johhny was from Toledo...and there is a lot of gang activity in the city there. It's a real problem. It often time spills into the suburbs..

Has anyone seen the autopsy report? has it been made public or anything? I dont suppose it has other than the official COD. I am wondering by chance if Johnny Clarke happened to have a key in his stomach. Will have to write to mods to see if I can post more on why I'm asking this..

went to LS's showing and funeral. very sad! detectives were there of course. talked to some people but waiting to be verified. that info on COD and TOD has been public for almost a week now?? i thought we all knew that already?? i would have posted if i realized u guys didn't know. sorry

bbm

Does it not seem odd -- if they were going to pick up Tiff around this same time, that they would have done that before going home? The times are very close together, kwim?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT1510
Back