GUILTY OH - Sarah Widmer, 24, drowned in bathtub, Hamilton Township, 11 Aug 2008

Prosecution's closing arguments:

Accept the reasonable, object the unreasonable.” Those were among the last words the prosecution team told the jury in the Widmer murder trial on Wednesday.

Prosecutor Travis Vieux begins his closing arguments by first thanking the jury for their patience.

He then continues with the 9-1-1 call that was made the night of August 11, 2008. Vieux says there were two 9-1-1 calls made by Ryan. The first one was for three seconds.

Vieux asks the jury what’s the most important thing you would want to tell 9-1-1 if your spouse is in distress. He answers by saying that the person on the phone would request for help.

Vieux tells the jury that Ryan’s first words were my wife fell asleep in the bathtub.

Vieux says that we know the medical evidence show that’s impossible to happen.

According to Vieux, not one time during that phone call did Ryan ask for help for his wife. He tells the jury that Ryan’s words were “Are you all coming?”

Vieux says that one of his witnesses even said that Ryan seemed too calm upon arrival to the house.

“He said on the 9-1-1 call, one, she was still in the bathtub. If you were in that position, wouldn’t you take your loved one out?” Vieux asks the jury.

“He took the time to pull the drain, is that reasonable?” Vieux asks the jury.

Vieux says on one 9-1-1 tape Ryan tried to do CPR and says that couldn’t have been possible to do that if she was in the bathtub.

Vieux tells the jury that they would have the opportunity to look at the pictures to see if it was reasonable for the two of them to be in that narrow bathtub.

Vieux shows the jury a picture of the bathtub in the master bedroom.

“You heard from one of the defense’s experts moving a dead body alone is very difficult, much less (he shows another view of the bathroom to the jury) in a narrow bathtub,” Vieux says.

Also on the 9-1-1 call, the prosecution tells the jury that Ryan says that he has to go and unlock the doors and we know that there wasn’t a force entry.

The prosecution says the by time he takes Sarah out of the bathtub until the time the deputy was on scene was two minutes.

The Bengals game was on in one of the upstairs bedrooms. Vieux tells the jury that one of the defense witnesses said that Sarah wasn’t a Bengals fan.

Vieux shows a picture of the carpet found in the master bedroom

The prosecution suggests if Sarah had a seizure, she would’ve expelled feces, there was none found in the tub or on the carpet.

Vieux also says when the EMS responder including Deputy Bishop arrived, they only noticed her hair was wet and no other places around the house were wet, her body wasn’t wet.

By the time they arrived, she had been dead for 30 minutes, she had no pulse when officials arrived and Vieux mentions that she had no pruning on her body.

“The only part of her body that was wet was her head. That means the defendant lied and that he purposely put her head under the water, committing murder,” Vieux says.

Vieux uses the bathtub and points to the marks made on the side.

Vieux asks the jury how the marks were made? He suggests someone fell into this tub, hands first and someone knocked over those bottles and then later replaced them.

“None of the items on the floor of the bathroom were wet, including the magazines. Even if the defendant took the victim out of the bathtub, some of those items should’ve been wet,” Vieux says. He then suggests that those items were placed there after Sarah had died.

Vieux shows another picture of the side of the bathtub.

There was a piece of tissue found on the side of the bathtub with no fingerprints found on it. Vieux suggests to the jury that the tissue was used to wipe down the bathtub by the defendant.

When the EMS responders arrived on the scene, they say Sarah had no pulse.

Vieux says the defense want the jury to think that the bruises found on Sarah were exaggerated by the process of drowning. The prosecution team say that would’ve caused Sarah to have an increase in her blood pressure, but there was none found.

Vieux tells the jury it was difficult for EMS representatives to find a pulse or a vein to do resuscitation efforts.

The rupture of those veins didn’t occur until six minutes before she arrived to the hospital.

Vieux shows a picture of Sarah’s larynx. He suggest that there would be infusion of blood in this area, if there was more than the normal amount of medication inserted into Sarah’s body, but there wasn’t.

Next, the prosecution team negates the defense claim that aggressive resuscitative efforts caused the bruising. Vieux says that the places where you would normally see injuries from CPR weren’t found on Sarah’s body.

Vieux mentions to the jury the thumb size circular bruise found on Sarah’s neck. He says no one can account for this bruise except its excessive force on the left side of her neck.

Placing a paper on the projector, Vieux reads a statement by Dr. Spitz, one of the defense witnesses.

It says: Anterior neck bruising often seen in cases of strangulation do not occur in drowning and should always be suspicion of foul play.

Vieux points out that a number of the defense witnesses stated in their testimony that they did not read other witnesses statements.

The prosecution is also saying some of the defense witnesses haven’t met her family and they were unaware of what happened that night.

Next Vieux talks about Sarah not having any family or personal history of any major illnesses and that the jury is left with the possibility for an undiagnosed, undetectable cause of death occurred in the case. The prosecution says that is not possible.

“She never fell asleep when she was working, or when she was in class, or when she was driving. There’s no sleep disorder here,” Vieux says.

Prosecution discusses the theory of Sarah having a headache. They say because Sarah had chronic sinusitis and allergies, a headache is a common side-effect.

Vieux says there’s no correlation to the fact that she had a headache that would have caused her death.

Prosecution negates the defense claim of a possible cardiac event. Vieux says medical experts have testified that there should be a family history to assume this.

A picture of Sarah is shown to the jury.

“Do not leave your common sense behind you when you enter that jury room. Look at these things, how do they apply in the situation?” Vieux asks.

The prosecution says in this case, it would be unreasonable to conclude that Sarah Widmer went through an undiagnosed, undetectable form of death.

“The cause of death was drowning, but according to the prosecution, drowning can not account for the extent of her injuries. It can not account for the bruising on her head, bruising on her arm,” Vieux says. The only reasonable conclusion is that Sarah was the victim of intentional homicide.

“Use your common sense, use your reason,” he says. On behalf of the state of Ohio, the Stewart family, please serve justice, where justice should be served.

It seems I may be in the minority here, but I believe he's innocent. At least from what I've seen and heard so far.

Upon reading the original article linked in the first post, I didn't feel they had enough evidence to convict. I had 'reasonable doubt.' I've known people who had elusive medical conditions that were undetected, even after several visits to the doctor and tests on everything. One person I know had an intermittant heart condition and by the time he'd get to the doctors, they couldn't tell him why he had become suddenly ill, passing out, and by then ok. It was only after one time he just happened to be in the doctor's office when an 'episode' occurred and a heart ailment was detected. He was only about 27.

Sarah's mentioning to co-workers and friends that day, that she didn't feel well, upset stomach, headache,..............her falling asleep at the drop of a hat. I believe she had an undetected medical condition(s). Along with the narcolepsy, she may have had a heart condition, ie it slowed down or sped up. The heart can be unpredictible, at times appearing normal and unsuspectingly speed-up or slow-down.

When I read about the swinger sites revealed after the trial, I thought maybe he was guilty. That COULD be a valid motive. But then I read his 911 call and listened to the actual call. He didn't act out of charactor to me. I know it's a cliche to say 'everyone acts differently' when something like this happens, but it's really true.

911 call
He sounded out of control in the call but attempting to remain calm, thus the hyperventilating-type breathing. He said he'd tried cpr (what little he knew) and that he'd let the water out of the tub..... This tells me, he came upon her 'face down,' he may have moved the upper portion of her body back so she was face-up or leaning against the back of the tub and while the water was draining attempted cpr, there IN the tub. Thus, a longer time for her body to have dried off and the tub appearing dry. When he removed her from the tub, it wasn't from a bath full of water, it was already drained, so she most likely was NOT 'dripping wet.'

When I read the transcript, I thought, why didn't you remove her from the tub before calling 911? But when I listened to the actual call, I came away with the above scenario in my mind.

When you listen to the call as he's away from the phone moving her body out of the tub, you hear him talking to her. Then when he's giving her further cpr as instructed, he's again commenting to her, 'come on baby.' Because they worked on her for forty-five minutes before taking her away and were most likely still working on her as they drove away, she apparently hadn't been dead for too long as they felt their life-saving efforts may revive her. As her husband, he most likely went to the hospital expecting her to be awake by the time he arrived. He broke down at the hospital because he found out she did NOT make it and was gone. A completely normal reaction, imho.

As for her drowning and the question of the narcolepsy???? IF she'd fallen asleep in the tub previously, it apparently was a joke among family and friends and as she'd never drowned before, why would anyone think she would this time?

As for her maybe waking up when she began breathing in water????? According to this article, people suffering from narcolepsy can have difficulty when "Waking up unable to move or talk for a brief time" Either this, or an undetected heart condition could be why she drowned.

JMHO
fran

PS.......some people with narcolepsy are forbidden to drive.

http://www.scuba-doc.com/narcodiv.htm
Diving with Narcolepsy

I suppose its is possible that she had narcolepsy, but in order for her to drown she would have to have narcolepsy with severe cataplexy (which could paralyse her while still consciously aware of her surroundings), and there is absolutely no evidence of her EVER having cataplexy.
Also the cataplexy is often set off by laughter- not relaxing in a bath.
JMO

From what I read narcoplepsy usually begins when a person is in their 20's. So Mom may not have realized how often she was unexpectedly falling asleep. Girls that age often downplay or try to hide problems they may be having in an effort to keep the mother from "worrying." And I agree, I don't think that it can be picked up without a sleep clinic or CAT scans on a living brain.

It is a known neurological problem, well documented in medical literature.

You described it as difficulty moving or talking, but the link that I posted called it sleep paraylsis. So if she fell asleep and slipped under the water, she wouldn't have been able to sit up or otherwise get her head out of the water.

You mentioned a possible heart problem. There is a thing with hypotension, which is low blood pressure. It can cause you to faint. I found out when I was pregnant that hot water can cause hypotension. I couldn't take hot showers or baths while I was pregnant because of it. They said it was related to the vasovagal reaction.
http://www.medicinenet.com/low_blood_pressure/page3.htm
If this were the case, why then would she have been found face down? That's another point that seems quite odd to me.

If you apply pressure to the main artery to the brain, like a finger, you can in second render a person unconscious and even kill them.

I am not sure exactly how it is done(obviously) but I have seen it done in a show on TV. This was a "show based on a real court case.

Vieux mentions to the jury the thumb size circular bruise found on Sarah’s neck. He says no one can account for this bruise except its excessive force on the left side of her neck.

The story conflicts with the evidence.....I tend to believe the evidence. Obviously.

Additional injuries in addition to "drowning" face down in a tub, please.

I am sure the jury will come back with a guilty verdict.........I would be shocked if he "got away" with murder. I hope he does not.

Placing a paper on the projector, Vieux reads a statement by Dr. Spitz, one of the defense witnesses.

It says: Anterior neck bruising often seen in cases of strangulation do not occur in drowning and should always be suspicion of foul play.

Sarah had those "tell tale" bruising.

Ryan is yet again another husband who thought he could outsmart LE and murder his wife and then "create" a fictional scene that would absolve himself of the murder.

How many times has that happened......too many times.

Did they find any DNA under her fingernails? I think if someone was trying to hold my head under water or even trying to hold my carotid artery, I would be digging at the hands that were holding me. Grabbing and pulling and scratching at the restraining hands in my struggle to breathe and to get up. With all of that there should be some DNA under the fingernails.

The more I read about this case, the more that jumps out at me. I do have to ask how Sarah could have come to be lying facedown in the tub if she fell asleep. The tub was of a normal oval-ish shaped tub size so I question how she would have gotten turned around. I have fallen asleep once in the bath (I can't believe I only just remembered this!) and I slid down which I presume is the normal thing to do; to actually turn around one would presume you would almost have to be floating in the water which is not possible in any bath tub as they are too shallow. Hmmm, I will go and see if I can find the actual length of the bath and Sarah's height so I can confirm my thoughts on this.

ETA: Picture of the bathtub:

http://www.wcpo.com/Photo.aspx?content_id=af3cc415-b5ca-486b-9b41-0440c33a53da&i=1

Is there anyone who is cleverer than me that can estimate dimensions from this photo? It does appear to be quite wide which may possibly allow for Sarah turning over naturally.

ETA2: Sarah was 5 foot 1, taken from the prosecution's closing argument: Arnold suggests that Sarah’s head was held under water and she was drowned by Ryan Widmer. He says that Sarah was a petite woman, 5 foot 1 and she didn’t have the ability to resist.
http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story/Blog-Widmer-Murder-Trial/FcQ8r8q1a0ibQQRAwzpT2g.cspx

I watched Dateline last year and also read up on this case...I tend to think that there is plenty of reasonable doubt as to whether this should have been classified as a homicide by coroner, but I know there is a lot of disagreement on this point. I do believe that the fact that Sarah told several people she did not feel well that day could have led her to pass out in the tub, in which case she might not have awakened as one normally would if her head slipped under the water, especially due to her apparent sleep disorder, diagnosed or not. Several of her friends had witnessed her falling asleep in very unusual places and at unusual times. I could not find anything in his 911 call that made me feel he had just killed his wife. I thought he sounded confused and that is why he started out with saying his wife had been taking a bath-as far as he knew, that is the last thing she had been doing.
I also know that due to my web searches and my writing, I get all kinds of *advertiser censored* e-mails and pop ups, etc and I have tried to delete them from my computer, probably without success. So I would not make much of any of that, as a juror, unless *advertiser censored* images had been downloaded to review at leisure. And he did not try to prevent any search or seizure that I recall.
Am interested to see how second jury will view this case; not sure if defense will be allowed to talk about her sleep issues, which I think are very important in this case.
Also, if he had killed her in a fit of rage, as I have seen suggested here, surely there would be more marks on her body and also on his, in my opinion. And I don't believe he he killed her in this manner with premeditation, taking elaborate care not to mark her body and with her not fighting back. Motive has not been established for me and I know it does not have to be, but these were newlyweds and I would think any murder would be far more spontaneous and obvious, if it occurred.
My opinions, only, of coursw.

IMO, Ryan Widmer is guilty, guilty, guilty.
The bruising on the back of Sarah's neck, the fact that the bathtub and bathroom area were not wet and none of the shampoo bottles were knocked over, but another huge clue IMO is in the 911 call. How does it begin? "I was downstairs watching the game and I think my wife fell asleep in the tub" (paraphrased). It seems like in a lot of these cases where the person making the 911 call is guilty they'll begin the call with an 'alibi' for themselves, whereas a not guilty person would most likely begin the call with "my wife isn't breathing!" or "help, I need an ambulance, my wife isn't breathing!"
And finally, I just don't believe, narcoleptic or not, that someone could fall asleep in the tub and NOT wake up once their air supply was cut off. No way.
I don't care how 'nice of a guy' Ryan's friends say he is. We never truly know what goes on behind closed doors. Also, it's always a red flag to me when someone who has been accused of murder's friends say "but I never even saw him angry once. He never even raised his voice!" Yeah. Meaning he was probably kept everything bottled up and was a ticking time bomb.

Ryan Widmer is INNOCENT.

* The EMT's stated and noted Sarah Widmer's Body was hot to the touch.

* A first responder states Sarah Widmer's body was not "overly moist."

* All responders state and noted Sarah Widmer's hair was "wet" not "damp."

* The only carpet samples taken from the house that night were bagged and when opened to be tested showed that they were WET, despite all the claims that the carpet was dry.

* EMT/First responders note no injury or trauma to Sarah Widmer, Hospital staff notes no injury or trauma to Sarah Widmer and Coroner's investigator notes no injury or trauma to Sarah Widmer.

* All police and first responders note Ryan Widmer was in his boxers and had no scratches, bruises, blood, or marks on his body whatsoever.

* Sarah Widmer had French Manicured fingernails and toenails which were fully intact, not one was broken. Ryan's DNA was not found under her nails.

* Sarah Widmer had no hair missing.

* All Police/Investigators even say nothing in the house was out of sorts nor was there any sign of a struggle. There were no signs of a clean up, no wet towels.

* There was no Motive.

* Everyone who knew Sarah and Ryan Widmer testified and stated that there were no marital problems at all and that they were always happy together.

* Family, Friends, and Co-workers testified that Ryan Widmer had absolutely no anger issues nor does he have a temper or any issues of violence.

* Friends of Sarah Widmer testified that she fell asleep often and in unusual places.

* Dr. Werner Spitz (World Renowned Pathologist, has performed over 60,000 autopsies), Dr. David Balko (Neuropathologist, Deputy Coroner Hamilton County), and Dr. David Smile (ER Physician, focuses on advanced cardiac arrest) all testified for the defense and state this was definitely not a homicide but an unexplainable death.

* About 300,000 seemingly healthy young adults (20 - 30 years old) per year suffer from "sudden death syndrome," and 2 - 3 people per state, per month die suddenly and without explanation - Dr. David Smile states during testimony.

* All the Prosecution witnesses (Doctors) admitted on the stand that it is possible that Sarah suffered from an undiagnosed medical event.

Ryan Widmer is INNOCENT.

* The EMT's stated and noted Sarah Widmer's Body was hot to the touch.

* A first responder states Sarah Widmer's body was not "overly moist."

* All responders state and noted Sarah Widmer's hair was "wet" not "damp."

* The only carpet samples taken from the house that night were bagged and when opened to be tested showed that they were WET, despite all the claims that the carpet was dry.

* EMT/First responders note no injury or trauma to Sarah Widmer, Hospital staff notes no injury or trauma to Sarah Widmer and Coroner's investigator notes no injury or trauma to Sarah Widmer.

* All police and first responders note Ryan Widmer was in his boxers and had no scratches, bruises, blood, or marks on his body whatsoever.

* Sarah Widmer had French Manicured fingernails and toenails which were fully intact, not one was broken. Ryan's DNA was not found under her nails.

* Sarah Widmer had no hair missing.

* All Police/Investigators even say nothing in the house was out of sorts nor was there any sign of a struggle. There were no signs of a clean up, no wet towels.

* There was no Motive.

* Everyone who knew Sarah and Ryan Widmer testified and stated that there were no marital problems at all and that they were always happy together.

* Family, Friends, and Co-workers testified that Ryan Widmer had absolutely no anger issues nor does he have a temper or any issues of violence.

* Friends of Sarah Widmer testified that she fell asleep often and in unusual places.

* Dr. Werner Spitz (World Renowned Pathologist, has performed over 60,000 autopsies), Dr. David Balko (Neuropathologist, Deputy Coroner Hamilton County), and Dr. David Smile (ER Physician, focuses on advanced cardiac arrest) all testified for the defense and state this was definitely not a homicide but an unexplainable death.

* About 300,000 seemingly healthy young adults (20 - 30 years old) per year suffer from "sudden death syndrome," and 2 - 3 people per state, per month die suddenly and without explanation - Dr. David Smile states during testimony.

* All the Prosecution witnesses (Doctors) admitted on the stand that it is possible that Sarah suffered from an undiagnosed medical event.

Where are you getting this number? That seems like an awful lot.

IMO, Ryan Widmer is guilty, guilty, guilty.
The bruising on the back of Sarah's neck, the fact that the bathtub and bathroom area were not wet and none of the shampoo bottles were knocked over, but another huge clue IMO is in the 911 call. How does it begin? "I was downstairs watching the game and I think my wife fell asleep in the tub" (paraphrased). It seems like in a lot of these cases where the person making the 911 call is guilty they'll begin the call with an 'alibi' for themselves, whereas a not guilty person would most likely begin the call with "my wife isn't breathing!" or "help, I need an ambulance, my wife isn't breathing!"
And finally, I just don't believe, narcoleptic or not, that someone could fall asleep in the tub and NOT wake up once their air supply was cut off. No way.
I don't care how 'nice of a guy' Ryan's friends say he is. We never truly know what goes on behind closed doors. Also, it's always a red flag to me when someone who has been accused of murder's friends say "but I never even saw him angry once. He never even raised his voice!" Yeah. Meaning he was probably kept everything bottled up and was a ticking time bomb.

The 911 call begins with "my wife fell asleep in the bathtub and I think she's dead." Once the operator goes into more detail about what happened to Sarah, Ryan says he didn't know because he was downstairs watching TV but thinks she fell asleep.

Where are you getting this number? That seems like an awful lot.

That was from an expert at the first trial, Dr. David Smile. He spoke that in the U.S. every year about 300,000 people under the age of 35 die and that these people’s autopsies do not show any sign of what they died from. That is 2/3 people/state/month. A staggering statistic.

That was from an expert at the first trial, Dr. David Smile. He spoke that in the U.S. every year about 300,000 people under the age of 35 die and that these people’s autopsies do not show any sign of what they died from. That is 2/3 people/state/month. A staggering statistic.

Two or three a month per state would only be about 150 at the most. That number seems very high. That is nearly twice as many as die from lung cancer per year. I would think that if 300,000 people dropped dead a year from unexplained reasons you would hear more about it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back