Match! OH - Strongsville, WhtFem UP15394, 15-25, in Rocky River, Feb'75 - Linda Pagano

I think by default all homicide investigations are handled by the county sheriffs. The CCSO is higher on the law tier than all municipalities in the county. The Metroparks are definitely their own police entity. I was a dispatcher for some time (different city) and they did handle their own stuff. But ownership of the parks makes that a good question. I'll add that to the list!

So the park is handling the case? I was wondering why this UID seemed to have gotten "lost" when so many other UIDs in the county are in NamUs and other websites, but if the park does it own thing, then maybe they just haven't entered anything into any databases. Which makes me wonder if they also have other unlisted UIDs and/or missing persons.

The autopsy report is interesting. I wish they had an estimated height or a more detailed postmortem interval, but there is some other important info:

1. It was definitely a homicide and she was likely shot with a .25 caliber bullet
2. She had dental amalgams/fillings in teeth 2, 3, 5, 14 and 15. So if you're looking for potential matches, definitely look out for missing women who have had dental care, particularly fillings in the upper teeth. The mandible wasn't present though, so don't rule anyone out based on their lower teeth.

Some of the other bones were missing (wrists, hands, feet, etc) but the report doesn't suggest they were cut off, and it says there were signs of gnawing. What kind of animals are in the park?

(Btw, Ice190, thanks for all the work you've been doing for this poor girl. You're awesome)

So the park is handling the case? I was wondering why this UID seemed to have gotten "lost" when so many other UIDs in the county are in NamUs and other websites, but if the park does it own thing, then maybe they just haven't entered anything into any databases. Which makes me wonder if they also have other unlisted UIDs and/or missing persons.

The autopsy report is interesting. I wish they had an estimated height or a more detailed postmortem interval, but there is some other important info:

1. It was definitely a homicide and she was likely shot with a .25 caliber bullet
2. She had dental amalgams/fillings in teeth 2, 3, 5, 14 and 15. So if you're looking for potential matches, definitely look out for missing women who have had dental care, particularly fillings in the upper teeth. The mandible wasn't present though, so don't rule anyone out based on their lower teeth.

Some of the other bones were missing (wrists, hands, feet, etc) but the report doesn't suggest they were cut off, and it says there were signs of gnawing. What kind of animals are in the park?

(Btw, Ice190, thanks for all the work you've been doing for this poor girl. You're awesome)

Thank YOU for posting this! I tried to months ago, I was a long time lurker and then found this.

Obviously the gunshot on the side of the head at an upwards but direct angle is interesting, but I'm assuming that a lack of a gun at the scene is the only true evidence of a murder (which I believe). Can a gun enthusiast tell us what kind of gun would have used a .25, and who would typically own one and for what back then?

The dental work would be valuable for sure; that, DNA, and isotope testing on those teeth are probably the best bet. It'd be really awesome to get a facial reconstruction. If you didn't notice, the skull was transferred to the Case Western Reserve University Dental School. Don't know what happened after that, whether it was reunited before the burial or not.

I am not sure of the natural ranges of animals especially 40 years ago, but deer, rodents, racoons, skunks, coyotes, foxes, and maybe otters live in these urban parks. Best bet on the gnawing is probably coyotes, foxes, and racoons.

The lack of height annoys me to pieces. The coroner was Dr. Sam Gerber, he'd been at it for at least 40 years by then. He was able to do the Torso Victims, why not this Jane Doe?

As for my prior uncertainties; I found a 1973 copy of a Lorain-Medina Counties atlas, and by cross referencing Google maps that is most definitely the B&O railroad, as mentioned in the article. According to the Metroparks website, that is the Eastern branch of the Rocky River, and mentioned by Irish_Eyes this took place within the Mill Stream Run Reservation, and Valley Parkway is definitely Eastland Road. Verifying this makes those to screen captures in the original post correct locations. An exact location from there can be determined from the autopsy report.

All this makes me want to check the status of the unidentified male that is listed directly below her in the cemetery index...

The Euclid UID who fell while climbing was a Metroparks case I'm pretty sure and he's in NAMUS. So it may just be that they have few UIDs.

I think by default all homicide investigations are handled by the county sheriffs. The CCSO is higher on the law tier than all municipalities in the county. The Metroparks are definitely their own police entity. I was a dispatcher for some time (different city) and they did handle their own stuff. But ownership of the parks makes that a good question. I'll add that to the list!

The Cleveland Metroparks are a political subdivision of the State of Ohio. They are basically very similar to their own city - except that all their residents are animals :) The head judge of the Cuyahoga County Probate Court is de-facto head of the Metroparks. Really though the parks is mainly controlled and operated by the Board of Park Commissioners - who are appointed by the Judge. The Board hires the Executive Director of the Parks (and I think maybe the legal counsel also), and the Exec Director is in charge of all the Department directors - the heads of all the reservations, the Rangers, the Zoo, Golf, etc., and on down the chain. (I guess I paid more attention in new employee orientation than I thought, lol. I worked for the parks for a few years.)

As far as I know the CCSO is not in charge of homicide investigations in the county. They serve warrants for the county, handle foreclosures, I think the jail is under their authority, they transport prisoners to and from CC jail and other facilities (hospital, courts, prison, etc.). They may handle other investigations, especially ones that cross jurisdictions like a drug ring operating in multiple suburbs, etc. but I don't think if say Lakewood has a homicide the sheriff is involved in any way unless Lakewood asks for the extra help for some reason. I could be wrong, but I think that's how it is.

Youngstown atea, here. I can say that there would be coyotes, bears (black), stray dogs, and many other small animals like raccoons in that area.

This is my first post, might as well start out with some th ing close by.

Youngstown atea, here. I can say that there would be coyotes, bears (black), stray dogs, and many other small animals like raccoons in that area.

This is my first post, might as well start out with some th ing close by.

Welcome to WebSleuths! :)

I've been hanging out for a long time! The break in the Grateful Doe case finally convinced me to register. This place is just amazing.

Irish_Eyes, that sounds like an answer we needed, thank you!

And stray dogs are always a possibility for the damage.Good call amelia425! I am also highly interested in the GD case. I think it'll be solved with this info.

What about Debra Wilhite?

Age (19) is within range
Race (Caucasian) matches
Timing (About 4 month from date LKA to the UID's date of discovery) works
Circumstances line up. Debra was likely the victim of foul play and was last seen leaving a restaurant to give a man a ride home. She is rumored to have been killed by a gunshot wound to the head, although those rumors haven't been verified.
Debra had a habit of leaving the Evansville, IN area for days at a time. It doesn't say where she'd go, but that means it's possible she had left the area for a while and met with foul play.

The distance is 452 miles, though. So I don't know how that would work, unless the unidentified man she was giving a ride to took over and had her drive pretty far away.

I so wish we had a height range, more detailed postmortem interval or something more to work with.

ETA: Hazel Cross disappeared on May 1st, 1973 from Toledo (109 miles from Strongsville). Age (26) is reasonable and race matches. She left to go to the store and basically vanished; her truck was later found in the store's parking lot (which definitely sound suspicious). Not sure if 1 1/3 years between the date LKA and UID's date of discovery really works though.

Here are my thoughts regarding the coroner's autopsy report on the unid victim.

The autopsy report stated that bones were found in the sandbar on the east bank of the Rocky River.

I’m wondering if it could be possible that the victim was killed elsewhere, and her body was dumped into the river from another location.

I noticed that the autopsy report didn't say how long the victim had been deceased.

While the autopsy report did say that the victim's hands and feet were missing, I'm also wondering if the hands and feet could have been severed to prevent the body from being identified.

We had a case not too long ago around here where a guy's vehicle was found abandoned by the Mahoning river, here in Youngstown. They didn't "find" him for over a year, because he was pulled out in Wheeling, WV, and the state police didn't think to check cases up here. It's about an hour drive, not sure how many miles it would be down river.

ETA: Found the link-http://www.wfmj.com/story/21921064/body-of-youngstown-restaurant-owner-james-donofrio-found

We had a case not too long ago around here where a guy's vehicle was found abandoned by the Mahoning river, here in Youngstown. They didn't "find" him for over a year, because he was pulled out in Wheeling, WV, and the state police didn't think to check cases up here. It's about an hour drive, not sure how many miles it would be down river.

ETA: Found the link-http://www.wfmj.com/story/21921064/body-of-youngstown-restaurant-owner-james-donofrio-found

Holy expletive, he went that far?! It's a good possibility here, however the Rocky River isn't called that for nothing. And the eastern branch is write narrow from what I have seen on maps and remember. In addition it appears to only snake around in 3 counties and mainly rural areas. I don't think she was just placed on the the river bank, because I don't get why they wouldn't take the time to throw ground debris on her in the woods. Interesting. Maybe she was pushed off from a train or the I-80 or I-71 overpasses which aren't too far. A heavy flow and ice movement could have moved her even more in a year's time. Definitely not one to rule out.

People sometimes throw leaves and branches over bodies to conceal them. Or maybe as you say she washed up in high water, and then debris washed over her.

If someone did cover the body, I think it makes it much more likely that she was put there in the fall.

Don't quote me on this (I'm not a forensic pathologist, obviously) but I think the adipocere suggests she was in the water for quite some time.
Adipocere is a waxy substance that usually starts forming within a month of death, and it's usually only found on corpses that are in very wet environments with low oxygen - think underwater or buried in very wet mud. So I think she was actually dumped in the river.

ETA: This article is a pretty good overview of adipocere. Small warning about the picture at the start of the article (it's a 300-year-old, partially skeletonised corpse covered in the stuff).

This is a map of the Rocky River watershed: http://coastal.ohiodnr.gov/portals/..._county_maps/CU2_CuyahogaCountyWatersheds.pdf

She was found in February.

This is a map from Mill Stream Run and it's interactive so you can zoom in and out around the area she was found: http://www.clevelandmetroparks.com/Main/Rocky-River-East-Branch.aspx

Some areas of the river are pretty shallow and you can walk across on stones. Or you'll see fisherman in waders standing in water up to their shins. Other parts are deeper. In winter it's all icy and then in the spring it melts but sometimes you get an early period of unusually warm weather and chunks of ice break up and start flowing towards the lake and they all kind of bottleneck up there around the mouth of Rocky River before it dumps out into Lake Erie. It's pretty amazing when it happens. Here's some footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRze_wI65g0

So I guess that is a possibility, that she went into the water at some point further south and then it all froze up and then an unseasonably warm spell caused some ice flow to break up and carry her further north.

All of which I admit makes me rethink Charlotte Brown, but at 29 she's still a bit old for the 15-25 timeline.

Good catch about the adipocere, Migmuu. I'm having trouble reading the autopsy report on my phone.

I wonder if she had been attempted to be weighed down. I know from canoeing some places under bridges can be quite deep. But IIRC bodies don't stay submerged for long, eventually they rise at least in freshwater. Also, water temperature affects buoyancy due to density. Cold water = more buoyancy, warm not so much. http://www.rescuediver.org/physics/bou.htm

If the weighed down part could be true, I wonder if she could have been dumped in the spring of 74, or the late summer or fall of 73? Lack of oxygen preserves bodies while submerged for long periods (as opposed to intermittent exposure to water) and apparently creates adipocere, but I don't know if this affects the accuracy of time of death. Also, what could be used to weigh her down besides a duffle bag with rocks, something that she would eventually get removed from? I at least think this affects the timeline.

The article I linked to says that adipocere can make it more difficult to determine the time of death, because it preserves the body a little and so the deceased may look like they died more recently than they actually did.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6
Back