Match! OH - Strongsville, WhtFem UP15394, 15-25, in Rocky River, Feb'75 - Linda Pagano

Here are my thoughts regarding the coroner's autopsy report on the unid victim.

The autopsy report stated that bones were found in the sandbar on the east bank of the Rocky River.

I’m wondering if it could be possible that the victim was killed elsewhere, and her body was dumped into the river from another location.

I noticed that the autopsy report didn't say how long the victim had been deceased.

While the autopsy report did say that the victim's hands and feet were missing, I'm also wondering if the hands and feet could have been severed to prevent the body from being identified.

Now that I've been able to read the report (on my laptop where I can see :) ), I don't think there was any severing going on. The report describes gnawing marks, which would most likely be animals.

Now that I've been able to read the report (on my laptop where I can see :) ), I don't think there was any severing going on. The report describes gnawing marks, which would most likely be animals.

....And probably suggest she was on land initially?

On the article about adipocere, it says that it has to be in a warm temperature, and it also preserves the body. I'm wondering if instead of dying around February of 1974, she died sometime in the Summer of 1973 or even '72. Maybe even '71?

EmmaliLucia, that's exactly what I think; the estimated date of death is too soon.

In regards to the article Migmuu linked and this http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoxia_(environmental) gives a few more ideas. There are wetlands in the park and nearby where she was found. It seems like she had to be stuck in sediment and probably a shallow area. Wetlands seem like a good place to be stuck in mud in warm water, especially if placed there during the warm months.

I'm seriously hung up over Charlotte Brown. Jane had small stature, most teeth were missing including wisdoms, and there was gnawing on the pelvis which could have prevented an estimation of prior pregnancy. IMO it'd look like a younger woman.

Is there anyone here that can explain if/how 40 year old forensics could possibly be wrong in estimating her age? Or how accurate are estimations of age between 18ish-30 have been in the past considering UIDs?

EmmaliLucia, that's exactly what I think; the estimated date of death is too soon.

In regards to the article Migmuu linked and this http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoxia_(environmental) gives a few more ideas. There are wetlands in the park and nearby where she was found. It seems like she had to be stuck in sediment and probably a shallow area. Wetlands seem like a good place to be stuck in mud in warm water, especially if placed there during the warm months.

I'm seriously hung up over Charlotte Brown. Jane had small stature, most teeth were missing including wisdoms, and there was gnawing on the pelvis which could have prevented an estimation of prior pregnancy. IMO it'd look like a younger woman.

Is there anyone here that can explain if/how 40 year old forensics could possibly be wrong in estimating her age? Or how accurate are estimations of age between 18ish-30 have been in the past considering UIDs?

Here are some ways that are/were used to determine age. You'll notice that a lot (but not all) of these techniques were developed in the eighties. Does the autopsy make any mention of how age was determined in this case? Personally, I think that if they thought she could be as young as 15, but no older than 25 it sounds like some of the cranial sutures that close in the late teens/early twenties were still open. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that's why, and I'm guessing that's probably correct, although I think I heard somewhere that something like 2% of cases those sutures remain open, so like everything there is always an exception.

http://www.nakedscience.org/agelect.htm

Contact update:

The Rangers' department called me back stating they are looking for the record, which since it is old it will take some more time going through all of the other records. The lady asked me to verify the report number and date which I did. I was told she or the lieutenant will call me back once they find it, and will go from there!

Additional contact update:

I received a call back from the Lieutenant who oversees the detective bureau at the Rangers'. He has found thick files regarding their investigation into this Jane Doe. Among these are several contacts from other municipalities inquiring about matching her to their missing women. There are dental charts, photos, and other relevant information. He says he is very interested in this case (cited another UID who fell off the cliff in Euclid area). I forwarded to him the ME report and a link to this thread, so I suppose he will be reading. Some of the things he mentioned will be very interesting to review. He will send me their files tomorrow (minor redaction of info may be necessary). Super nice and informative, and hoping to keep in contact!

Riveting thread.

I read the medical examiner's report. I agree a facial reconstruction will be difficult. DNA may be only our bet if we can get a clean sample.

The .25 ACP is a bit interesting. It's not as popular as other calibers today, but was more then. Most low-level thugs has/had a .25 ACP handgun. The .25 ACP is what some would call a 'mouse gun'. The .25 calibre was/is mostly a personal defence calibre. Synonymous with vest pockets. It's not a powerful caliber, either. Its power output is about the same as a .22 rimfire. To kill someone with it, you had to do it at point-blank ranges. The trajectory angles does seem make suicide plausible, but if they felt it was homicide...

Thanks for the gun info Nikon, that's what I was looking for!

Have not received the files yet (maybe went to spam), but I told him it's been 40 years and not to overwork himself basically. I'll let you know asap!

I received the pdf of the files that were legally allowed to be given to me by the Rangers.

I tried multiple times to upload through this website. Didn't succeed, but here is a link to it on OneDrive Case 75-0403, and here it is on Dropbox in case the one or the other does not work. If necessary, I can attempt to email it to anyone who still cannot view it.

There are a whopping 100 pages. I have read the whole thing although I may have missed important details. I removed the first page as it contained my name and address however the contents are as follows:

Attached please find the records you requested regarding case number 75-0403. The investigation involved the unidentified skeletal remains of a female found in the present Mill Stream Run (formerly, Rocky River) Reservation of Cleveland Metroparks on February 5, 1975. The death was the result of homicide, as determined by the Cuyahoga County Coroner’s Office. The woman has yet to be identified, and the case is unsolved.

Upon review of the records, it was determined that certain information is exempt from the duty to permit public inspection or copying (ORC §§ 149.43(B)(1), 149.43(B)(3)). Social security numbers were redacted pursuant to Ohio law (ORC § 149.43(A)(1)(v)). Messages transmitted through the Law Enforcement Automated Data System have not been provided, as such records are also exempt from public disclosure (OAC § 4501:210-06(C)).

If I can be of further assistance, please contact me as provided below.

A few things I have found that may be of interest are on pages: 24 - may be of Nordic descent; 82 - regarding scene photos; and 95 - what appears to be her descriptions which may or not have been listed on the coroner's report.

There are a slew of first-hand reports and statements from individuals that day, as well as numerous women reported missing at the time (and some still are) being investigated and compared to dental records of Jane Doe (which I do not believe are included, but the others' are). Some of the women have already been mentioned in this thread, and as it would be, apparently were ruled out by dental comparisons in the 70s. There is an interesting mention of a found gun of .25 caliber in a hotel about a half hour south, and the people who had the rooms used false names and and other details. There was also a shady rape suspect in multiple cases in the neighbouring city.

The Lieutenant will be reading all of the papers as well, including those which were redacted under Ohio Code that he has legal access to. I also mentioned NamUs to him and I believe he said he will look into that as well. If anyone here can give detailed instructions as to by whom and how an unidentified individual can be entered into NamUs, please speak up!

All in all, from what I gathered on my first look, it appears these papers will be most useful in determining possible rule-outs. Most importantly however is that there was indeed a vast investigation into identifying this young woman. If anyone finds something interesting within the contents, I'm sure we'd all love to hear!

I do plan on contacting Middleburg Heights PD, Berea PD, County Sheriffs, and the Case Western Reserve Dental School for any possible additional information, especially regarding her skull. I will likely be keeping in contact with the Lieutenant at the Rangers', and I want to try to find more newspaper articles but I simply do not have time this semester:(.

Thank you all for your interest, it has motivated me like almost nothing before! I hope we can soon give her a name!

Several women were ruled out. These are:

Joanne Coughlin
Cxxxxxx Gxxxxxx
Debra Kent
Carlene Brown
Christy Gross
Laurie Partridge
Emily Harris

It's good to know they really did look hard and she wasn't just forgotten the way it seemed at first.

Also, more info on the UID herself. She was between 5'1 and 5'3 in height and weight 100 - 110 pounds. She likely died in late summer or early fall, but possibly later.

Thanks for taking the time to type that Migmuu and carbuff.

Gah, I want her dental records, DNA, isotope testing, and facial recon right now! And it seems like one of the letters in there referenced photos the coroner had, as the Rangers' film had an accident developing. I wonder if they're still around and salvageable...

Question: Would clothing completely disintegrate in 1-2 years? If she was naked I wonder what the possibility of her having been a worker and whoever picked her up killed her during it.

Interesting that Emily Harris (of Patricia Hearst kidnapping fame) was checked out.

The photo of Joanne Coughlin looks nothing like the photos of Joanne in her Charley Project page. Doesn't even look like the same person.

The photo of Joanne Coughlin looks nothing like the photos of Joanne in her Charley Project page. Doesn't even look like the same person.

I thought the same thing!

That .25 caliber was found in Allen County, so about 3 hours away. Still, I see why they were interested.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatHappenedToJAB
Back