OH - Three killed, 2 injured in neighborhood noise dispute, Cleveland, 3 July 2007

I've been there with neighbors making the block into a war zone at two or three a.m.--it can drive you over the edge, although I hope that I never get to the point of injuring someone--There but for the grace of God, as the saying goes! We've had neighbors keep us up til the wee hours only to have kids start again in the early afternoon with fireworks.

Several years ago I woke to a couple of gunshots. Somehow I knew they were gunshots, so I called 911. Turns out one set of neighbors was enjoying their jacuzzi and getting a little loud, so the next door neighbor came out and fired his shotgun into the air.

My other neighbor heard about it, heard that the sheriff's deputies were dispatched almost immediately (when the partying neighbors called 911 they were told that the sheriffs were on their way) and she said, "I knew it had to be you, if anyone was awakened it was you." I must have been the lightest sleeper on the block!

It seems to me we have a steadily deteriorating set of conditions: People so stressed and overworked that they can't take a night or day off to catch up on sleep, and people so immune to the needs of others that they just don't care who they keep up.

http://www.cleveland.com/crime/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/iscri/1209630612298850.xml&coll=2

Hough appeared calm and collected, dressed in a crisp gray suit Wednesday, as 68 potential jurors paraded into Judge Shirley Strickland Saffold's courtroom.
Early next week, the jury is likely to visit the Sky Lane Drive home in Cleveland's Old Brooklyn neighborhood where, prosecutors say, Hough ultimately solved his disputes with a .40-caliber semiautomatic handgun.
Witnesses said the Cleveland firefighter never stepped outside that night to complain about the noise before he stormed out of his front door, clutching the loaded gun.
(more at link)

I don't think it was polite to be shooting off fireworks in the middle of the night. But, why would this guy think it's OK to kill people for being rude? What is wrong with him?

I have really really bad neighbors, crackheads and meth addicts who steal everything not locked away. They are complete trash and they raised their 3 daughters to be just like them.

If this man had neighbors like mine, I totally understand how he could snap. Luckily for us, we have a huge gate/fence and mean dogs surronding us (think compound, lol) so we have little to no problems with the garbage but it still annoys me how people like them push the system and nothing is ever done about them yet when they push people to far they are then treated like the victims.

WOW, hard to beleive it's almost been a year since this happened. Seems like yesterday.

Taxi, thanks so much for the updates!!! I mean, I live here in Ohio.......didn't see anything in the paper yesterday. (But then, I don't get the Plain Dealer and I am sure it was in there!!)

How do you think the jury is going to vote??

I say, guilty.

Hi Littledeer!

Local coverage has shown tearful prosecution witnesses reacting more and saying more than I thought a witness was allowed to. I think the jury will have no choice but guilty, probably on all counts.

Last I checked he's up on 3 agg murder charges and 2 attempted murder charges. I really hope they don't give him the death penalty though.

It's just sad all around, isn't it?

The jury is still deliberating. Apparently they asked questions last night relative to the amount of time between planning and snapping as it pertains to his defense of just snapping when he got the gun and then shot them. I didn't hear the exact question, but the judge's response was difficult to understand! IMO

The jury did what they had to do. No matter how bad your neighbors are it does not justify gunning down five people. I lost a good friend and his wife that way years ago. It happened in Garfield Heights. They were shot and killed by their neighbor in front of their kids. Do you remember the Rambo killings Taximom?

The jury did what they had to do. No matter how bad your neighbors are it does not justify gunning down five people. I lost a good friend and his wife that way years ago. It happened in Garfield Heights. They were shot and killed by their neighbor in front of their kids. Do you remember the Rambo killings Taximom?

The Rambo killings I don't remember those. I am so sorry you lost your friends, in front of their kids too, that is just awful.

I agree that you just can't go and shoot your neighbors! I didn't see how any jury could find him "not guilty". Gosh, what a wasted life now. I feel very sorry for his kids. :( I feel sorry for the victim's families too, of course.

I don't remember that name, BigBuck, but I wonder if I remember the circumstances. Will it show up in Google if I search "Rambo killings"?

I tried googling that but only Rambo movie showtimes came up.

He wasn't a pizza shop owner, was he? That must have been horrible to go through. :(

I agree with the jury with the "guilty" verdict, but not that is was premeditated.

How was that proven???? Taxi, are there transcripts anywhere of the court proceedings?

bigbuck: I also live in the Cleveland area (not within Cleveland though), and I have been racking my brain about the "rambo" killings. Like Taxi, it is not ringing a bell to me. Was that their last name?? How horrible for those kids. Do you know how they are doing today???

cali: you live around here also??

I tried googling that but only Rambo movie showtimes came up.

He wasn't a pizza shop owner, was he? That must have been horrible to go through. :(

I don't think so Taxi. They called him Rambo because he was wearing fatigues and when they found him he was hiding in tunnels he had dug behind his home.

Littledeer: It was in the early 1980'S I worked with Jesse Mooney ( who was killed along with his wife) and Lee ( who was Jesse cousin and was wounded in the shooting) I know Jesse's two daughters moved to WV with his parents.

I was probably oblivious to crimes back in the early 80's knowing me! How horrible though, especially for the two girls. Do you know "why" it happened?

I agree with the jury with the "guilty" verdict, but not that is was premeditated.

How was that proven???? Taxi, are there transcripts anywhere of the court proceedings?

Maybe the premeditation came in because of prior threats? :confused:

IIRC, premeditation can be only a matter of seconds. IIRC anyway.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix
Back