OH - Three students killed in Chardon High School shooting, 27 Feb 2012

Only one death has been officially reported. However, earlier it was reported that there were 3 in critical condition. The one in stable condition was the female.

Thank you! People on Twitter were reporting that Demetrius Hewlin had passed away but I'm hoping it's not true.

My view,and it may not be a popular one, is all these video games that kids play today (my son has played them, as well)...where you are a solider or something similar, and kill others....but in these games, all you have to do is press "reset" or "new game" and you get another try. I think it a) makes killing easy, and do-able, and b) gives kids an unrealistic view that death isn't "real".
It's just a temporary state of being, until you hit the reset button.

Honestly, I strongly disagree. If a kid has predisposed violent tendencies, then they're going to be violent regardless of whether they play games or not. Those video games sell millions of copies. I know so many people, teens and adults, who play these kinds of games and would never kill or harm anyone. If someone actually is motivated to act based on video games, then their mental state is questionable to begin with.

Sometimes people just feel like they have no other options, it's more than just 'fantasy', it's something broken, that no one could, or more accurately(imo) cared to try and fix. My mother went through a school shooting in the 70's(75 to be exact).

The shooting happened mid-week, by Monday students were back in school, no counselling, not even a school-wide assembly. She vividly remembers looking up above the doorway in one of her classes and seeing flesh stuck to the top of the doorjam. 40=ish years later, the memories and nightmares come back the minute she reads about a school shooting.

The shooter involved(who also killed himself) was from a seemingly happy family, two parents, siblings, musician(brought his two rifles to school in his guitar case).

My thoughts are with all the victims of the shooting, and their families,(including the famil of the shooter). I hope they can all find peace, and that they have more help and support than my mother and her friends did. Back then, they werent allowed to discuss it, it was 'unseemly'.

ETA: I wanted to clarify that from what has been gathered in the case of my mothers school(I might add the shooter was actually her lab partner, is it bad to say I'm glad he either liked her or that she was delinquent and skipped school that day?) the student involved was a good student, but had received two 0's on late assignments, and was sure that it would stop him from getting into medical school.

oh_gal, my mother and I were discussing this tragedy earlier and we were saying the exact same thing. As a matter of fact, when my hubby and I were dating (many many moons ago), we would always argue about "censorship" and violent entertainment. I took the position that children should not be exposed to violent entertainment (movies, TV shows, games) and since we never could agree, I'd always end with: Let's revisit this in 20 years. 30-some years later and I can't resist saying "told ya so" when I remind him of our old debate.

But, what was that name of the video game that Hitler played? to quote David Cross. All joking aside you can't just blame external sources.
I think you have to already be prone to mental instability, violence in the first place. Millions play video games and do not kill.

He just came from a really broken down home and he was living with his grandparents," Evan Erasmus, a senior at the school told CNN. "He was more of a quiet type of kid. He was really nice, though, if you did talk to him.”

Erasmus said that Lane and some of the victims "used to be friends" but more in middle school and early high school.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/27/shooting-reported-at-ohio-high-school/ MORE AT LINK

But, what was that name of the video game that Hitler played? to quote David Cross. All joking aside you can't just blame external sources.
I think you have to already be prone to mental instability, violence in the first place. Millions play video games and do not kill.

I don't single video games out. I think when children are exposed to violent entertainment (including movies, TV, music), it desensitizes them. Especially in regard to teens who are acting out. Adolescence is a crazy time. And I think that many of the kids who go on these rampages are not inherently mentally unstable or violent. IMO, they have been desensitized to violence (our "entertainment" industry is saturated in it), and combined with the notorious teenage lack of self control, they do something they don't understand the consequences of.

I don't single video games out. I think when children are exposed to violent entertainment (including movies, TV, music), it desensitizes them. Especially in regard to teens who are acting out. Adolescence is a crazy time. And I think that many of the kids who go on these rampages are not inherently mentally unstable or violent. IMO, they have been desensitized to violence (our "entertainment" industry is saturated in it), and combined with the notorious teenage lack of self control, they do something they don't understand the consequences of.

I disagree. No one sane would go on a school shooting. 17 year olds are old enough to understand their consequences and almost legal adults. If that was the case every child would be ultraviolent.
Tarantino grew up on violent movies and became a director but, didn't go on a spree.

I really wish it was that simple, but mental instability, violence and abuse is more complicated issue.

Been following this all morning (not really my part of the state, although I used to leave near Cleveland when I was little). So sad. I remember when Columbine happened - I was thirteen and it really left a strong impression on me. I think now, people have forgotten a bit and they don't take seriously when someone makes a comment about a school shooting.

Tragic, all around.

-----------------
Hi AnaTeresa, I am in Parma not too far from Chardon. I am just praying for the students and families. My heart goes out to all including school staff. I hope he is treated as an adult.

Game or no game, he's not right in the head. Very scary. I can't imagine sending my baby off to school and then hearing that something like this happened at their school. Terrifying. My prayers are with the victims and their families.

He also had David Icke as someone who inspires him. I think that is the big "Illuminati' guy that kids are into these days. Very weird stuff.

If you watch the music video on his page,it is kind of shocking to say the least.He was into the Goth lifestyle.

I can't get fb right now but when I looked earlier, there were only a few photos on his page and a handful was of him holding a big teddy bear with a "Be Mine" sign dated 2/2012. I think. THis is from memory. When I saw that I immediately thought this is over a girl.

I disagree. No one sane would go on a school shooting. 17 year olds are old enough to understand their consequences and almost legal adults. If that was the case every child would be ultraviolent.
Tarantino grew up on violent movies and became a director but, didn't go on a spree.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I tend to agree with Dave Grossman. He is the author of [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Psychological-Cost-Learning-Society/dp/0316040932/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330374736&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society (9780316040938): Dave Grossman: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Bu29eZsZL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Bu29eZsZL[/ame]

Students continued to tweet about the incident and who they thought were heroes.
Today I gained a whole new level of respect for the teachers of chardon high school.
S/o to Mrs. Segulin too. She did a great job keeping us safe.
Other tweets praised "Mr. Hall" for putting himself in danger by getting the gunman out of the building. One of the most profound tweets we saw came from S**S**, who said:
Saw the faces of people I used to dislike today and felt relieved that they were alive. Realize how easily everything you have can be lost.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/lo...a-top-trending-topic-on-twitter#ixzz1ncKhLkwD

a profound tweet is right...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back