GUILTY OK - 4 dead, many injured when car crashed into crowd at OSU homecoming parade

This is interesting. A co-worker speaks out.

She was sent home from work at a hamburger restaurant this morning, after working for an hour or so because "she appeared to be on drugs". She worked until at least midnight last night. I don't know where her father got the information that she was at a homecoming festivity last night so it's hard to know which story is correct.

I think the victims now own the hamburger stand, BTW. Who would send someone off to drive home who appeared too drugged out to flip burgers?

http://heavy.com/news/2015/10/adaci...-car-crash-homecoming-parade-accident-driver/

In a university town intoxication on a weekend morning is not unknown.

This is exactly what I was thinking. She may be a student or part of the parade crew and up all night drinking and making decorations or partying at a frat house or something of the kind.

I think her father is in denial. Poor man.

This is exactly what I was thinking. She may be a student or part of the parade crew and up all night drinking and making decorations or partying at a frat house or something of the kind.

The booking photo looks like she was up all night. I would not doubt one bit if partying was involved.

I agree father is in denial.

SMDH There is a ' support group' fb for the driver. I 'll assume it's satire? But not sure.

SMDH There is a ' support group' fb for the driver. I 'll assume it's satire? But not sure.

I saw that and chose not to post it. It appears the moderator has a fake facebook page, from what I can tell. Just causing trouble. :(

I'm wondering if her father was confused about information he was given. It's possible that she was with family early, worked until midnight and partied until it was time for work again. She could have made it home from work at 10 am. Not likely but possible .

MOO

According to her fiancé, Jesse Gaylord, Chambers rarely drank alcohol. Gaylord told CBS News Chambers left work at a frozen custard shop about a half-mile from the scene early, but he isn't sure why.

"She's a really nice girl. Hasn't shown anything, I mean... I got her up this morning and gave her a hug and kiss and she made it to work," Gaylord said.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-...ma-state-university-homecoming-parade-2-dead/

Somewhat unusual statement by the bf that he got her up and she made it to work. Was she not able to get herself up? Did he think she wouldn't make it work ok?

Maybe she made it to work and they saw she we messed up, so they sent her home?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

4th victim, a 2-year-old, dies after OSU homecoming crash

STILLWATER, Okla. —Four people are dead and 44 hurt in a car crash involving spectators Saturday morning at an Oklahoma State University homecoming parade.

http://www.koco.com/news/several-hurt-in-crash-at-osu-parade/36027322

Please change the title on this thread to reflect the new information. I pray it doesn't change again. :'(

We are heartbroken here in Oklahoma. It has been a difficult and long day knowing these families and friends are dealing with this horror. I pray for the parents of the 2 year old, Nash Lucas, who lost his life after watching a parade and the parents of Nikita Nakal in India who sent their daughter to the US to study. They are so far away dealing with this and I cannot imagine how lost they must feel. Most of the people affected are from here where they have the entire state mourning with them and supporting them. It doesn't make it easier, but we can hold them up until they able to do it again themselves. I feel very sorry for everyone in this tragedy, including the driver. She is also one of our own. Her parents are standing by her, as they should.

I don't know if it has been considered yet that her car could have malfunctioned. I had a car go from normal to 100 mph in a flash. My cruise control caused a malfunction and it stuck the throttle wide open (I think that is what the mechanic said). I have witnessed similar happenings twice with two other cars and two alert drivers. It is a frightening experience and difficult (if not impossible) to control the vehicle, especially if it happens when the wheels are turned.

My thought is maybe she took ambien to sleep and it had not worn off yet. People say she isn't a drinker and isn't known to take drugs. I will wait until all the facts are in before condemning the driver. It is a tragedy for everyone involved. I don't believe for a second she wanted to hurt anyone. She will have to live with this the rest of her life.

I think the victims now own the hamburger stand, BTW. Who would send someone off to drive home who appeared too drugged out to flip burgers?

Is there a legal precedent for this? The employer didn't supply drugs or alcohol and they didn't watch her consume any intoxicants, they just sent her home when she could not perform. That sounds like a very slippery legal slope, are store keepers going to be held responsible if they see a potentially high customer drive away in a vehicle?

It doesn't sound like alcohol IMO.

Well sure, maybe she was under the influence of a sleeping pill that hadn't worn off.....but you're that out of it/groggy, would you really get behind the wheel of a car? Most people would be afraid to even try and drive if they felt that out of it. I myself am very sensitive to pain meds, even just one Tylenol #3 makes me feel off, enough that I'd be afraid to drive. Officers at the scene obviously had enough good reason to suspect she was under the influence, her workplace found her to be also, and she looks impaired in her mugshot - so if that impaired by whatever it was, hard to imagine she felt safe enough to drive. That being said, if she was impaired due to alcohol, I would imagine her breath would have smelled of booze, and the coworker who was interviewed who reports she'd been sent home because she seemed to be under the influence of "drugs", well I'm sure they'd have mentioned her smelling like booze if she had. There must be a reason her employer allegedly felt she was on drugs and not drunk. Sad though, if they did feel she was too impaired to work such that they sent her home, that they didn't send her in a taxi, or call a family member/her boyfriend to pick her up. If she'd worked there for the length of time it's reported, surely her coworkers would have known that she got to work by driving. Maybe this could have all been prevented had someone ensured she had a safe way to get home. And it doesn't sound like she was known to drink or do drugs so did it occur to anyone at her workplace that maybe she had some kind of medical issue? (eg: diabetes) If I worked with someone who was very softspoken, timid and quiet....who was not known to be the party type, and they showed up at work appearing to be "on drugs", I would be calling someone in their family, their spouse/partner, or maybe even an ambulance.

4th victim, a 2-year-old, dies after OSU homecoming crash

STILLWATER, Okla. —Four people are dead and 44 hurt in a car crash involving spectators Saturday morning at an Oklahoma State University homecoming parade.

http://www.koco.com/news/several-hurt-in-crash-at-osu-parade/36027322

Please change the title on this thread to reflect the new information. I pray it doesn't change again. :'(

We are heartbroken here in Oklahoma. It has been a difficult and long day knowing these families and friends are dealing with this horror. I pray for the parents of the 2 year old, Nash Lucas, who lost his life after watching a parade and the parents of Nikita Nakal in India who sent their daughter to the US to study. They are so far away dealing with this and I cannot imagine how lost they must feel. Most of the people affected are from here where they have the entire state mourning with them and supporting them. It doesn't make it easier, but we can hold them up until they able to do it again themselves. I feel very sorry for everyone in this tragedy, including the driver. She is also one of our own. Her parents are standing by her, as they should.

I don't know if it has been considered yet that her car could have malfunctioned. I had a car go from normal to 100 mph in a flash. My cruise control caused a malfunction and it stuck the throttle wide open (I think that is what the mechanic said). I have witnessed similar happenings twice with two other cars and two alert drivers. It is a frightening experience and difficult (if not impossible) to control the vehicle, especially if it happens when the wheels are turned.

My thought is maybe she took ambien to sleep and it had not worn off yet. People say she isn't a drinker and isn't known to take drugs. I will wait until all the facts are in before condemning the driver. It is a tragedy for everyone involved. I don't believe for a second she wanted to hurt anyone. She will have to live with this the rest of her life.

I think the victims now own the hamburger stand, BTW.

Can you please clarify what you mean by this? Are you saying that the owners of where she allegedly worked, Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers, were among the deceased or injured? If so, can you please post a link to this? Thanks.

Can you please clarify what you mean by this? Are you saying that the owners of where she allegedly worked, Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers, were among the deceased or injured? If so, can you please post a link to this? Thanks.

I am not Jeanna, but clearly she meant that victims of the crush (or their relatives) will sue the stand.

Is there a legal precedent for this? The employer didn't supply drugs or alcohol and they didn't watch her consume any intoxicants, they just sent her home when she could not perform. That sounds like a very slippery legal slope, are store keepers going to be held responsible if they see a potentially high customer drive away in a vehicle?

In US, seems like everybody sues everybody for everything, and nobody is responsible for their own behavior.

If you took ambien and that impaired your driving, you are driving under the influence. DUI doesn't mean you had to have taken illegal drugs or alcohol, it could be legal drugs if they impaired your driving. You also don't have to want to hurt anybody for you to be guilty of DUI.

They just didn't "watch a potentially high person drive off", they noticed she was intoxicated (by something, they believed drugs) to the point she couldn't work her shift, and because of this intoxication they told her to go home.

I think you can count the days before they are sued - once the lab results come back in, if what the co-worker said is true. The manager on duty believed she was too impaired to flip burgers so he sent her to her car to drive home. I don't know about legal precedent, but my guess is there IS legal precedent. If this were a case where she showed up for work and then said she was too sick and everyone there said I thought she was drugged, not sick, that would be one thing. But to send her to her car, knowing she was too impaired to work her shift, indicates terrible lack of judgement on the part of management, IMHO.

They just didn't "watch a potentially high person drive off", they noticed she was intoxicated (by something, they believed drugs) to the point she couldn't work her shift, and because of this intoxication they told her to go home.

I think you can count the days before they are sued - once the lab results come back in, if what the co-worker said is true. The manager on duty believed she was too impaired to flip burgers so he sent her to her car to drive home. I don't know about legal precedent, but my guess is there IS legal precedent. If this were a case where she showed up for work and then said she was too sick and everyone there said I thought she was drugged, not sick, that would be one thing. But to send her to her car, knowing she was too impaired to work her shift, indicates terrible lack of judgement on the part of management, IMHO.

This is so stupid. All these idiotic lawsuits have to end. Just because your toddler was killed, it doesn't mean you struck gold and can retire now. It's disgusting.

The manager sent her home. Not his fault she didn't call a taxi, not his responsibility either.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back