Found Deceased OK - Aja Johnson, 7, Geronimo, 24 January 2010 - #3

Horrific abuse marked last three years of Aja Johnson’s life

BY RANDY ELLIS Oklahoman
Published: May 27, 2010

In the three years leading up to Lester Hobbs’ abduction and murder of stepdaughter Aja Johnson, he threw lit firecrackers in her bedroom to awaken her, slashed her mattress and sheets with a knife and repeatedly beat her with a flexible ruler, a new report reveals.

Records show the state Department of Human Services received seven reports of abuse and neglect in the two years leading up to Aja’s abduction, but the agency pushed for months to keep Aja and her stepsister in Hobbs’ home, according to a death review report issued by the Oklahoma Commission on Children and Youth.

Much more heinous info at link: :furious:

Read more: http://newsok.com/horrific-abuse-ma...9?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0pAFqKIdd

Thanks for posting this...i was just coming here to post a similar article...once again i'm furious!!!

Here's the other article:

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=12552096

snipped:

The report indicates that state Department of Human Services records show the agency received seven abuse and neglect reports in the two years before Aja's abduction in January, but that DHS tried for months to keep Aja and her stepsister in the home of Aja's stepfather, Lester Hobbs.
A DHS spokeswoman says the agency tries to help parents keep families together when workers think the children will be safe, but making that determination can be difficult.

Oh...I'm so upset I forgot to post the other links

Link to Aja's death report: (I haven't read it yet so don't know how descriptive it might be)

http://www.okkids.org/

it's the first link in red about half way down the page

Our poor angel was beaten, sexually abused and tortured emotionally and physically by this MONSTER. And CPS let it happen again and again, sending her back into the lion's den.
Poor baby had to be hospitalized twice for psych problems. Psych problems that this MONSTER caused this poor innocent child to have. I am physically ill over this report and so damn angry.

The judge has his hands dirty too, when he disregarded what Aja's court appointed lawyer recommended.

I could just scream. In fact I might go outside and just do that.

I am so sorry baby girl!! You are safe now. No one can hurt you anymore.

OMG - our poor, poor Aja - she was failed by so many - this report is so disturbing. I am trying to put together a timeline for easier reference and I can't even get through a page without crying. This is unbelievable and must stop! The very system set up to protect our children, in this case our Aja, failed her on so many levels...here's just a snippet from the report: (I am only on pg 6 so this is in no way all inclusive and it's also been snipped to exclude some information I felt was not pertinent to the immediate failures, in an effort to save space).

From the death review document (http://www.okkids.org/):

The OKDHS documented nine referrals regarding the child’s family within the past three years

March 22, 2007 - The recommendations by the OKDHS in Lincoln County in its report to the Lincoln County court were: Aja and her sibling continue in OKDHS custody and remain in their current foster home placement

May 24, 2007 - The OKDHS returned Aja and Sibling 1 to the Hobbs’ home for trial reunification on May 24, 2007. The children had been in foster home placement since July 28, 2006.

June 22, 2007 - The OKDHS in Lincoln County documented that during a worker visit, information was received that Lester Hobbs had spanked Aja. The OKDHS documented explaining to the parents that they could not spank the children.

July 10, 2007 - The CHBS worker documented that Aja’s mother reported that Lester Hobbs had been throwing lit firecrackers into Aja and Sibling 1’s room to wake them in the morning. When Lester Hobbs arrived home for lunch, the CHBS worker told him that he could not use firecrackers in the house as it was a fire hazard. Lester Hobbs did not respond. The worker further documented that when discussing physical discipline, Lester Hobbs stated that he used a flexible ruler to spank the children and that he would continue to use the ruler because he had raised thirteen children and had never left a mark, and that spanking was the only thing that worked. The OKDHS documented Lester Hobbs as saying that “if DHS doesn’t like the way that he disciplines his children, they can take them back and raise the children themselves.”

July 11, 2007 - It was documented that Lester Hobbs thought that the child’s behaviors did warrant physical punishment. The OKDHS permanency planning worker of Lincoln County explained to Lester Hobbs that as a parent he had the right to spank Aja. The worker further explained to Lester Hobbs that when he started leaving bruises on Aja or Sibling 1, it would be a different situation. OKDHS documented that Lester Hobbs stated to the OKDHS worker that if the DHS did not feel that he was able to take care of his children then DHS could come and get the children. The OKDHS documented that Lester Hobbs later stated he did not mean what he had said and that he truly loved and cared for Aja and her sibling.

July 17, 2007 - The CHBS worker documented asking the mother if there were any weapons in the house, such as knives or guns. The documentation indicated the mother denied there were any weapons in the home but that Aja had whispered to the worker that they did have guns in the closet.

July 20, 2007 – documented problems in the home and OKDHS on way to meet LE and remove mom and children from home – CHBS worker took children to safe place

July 24, 2007 – documented that Aja’s mother and children were back in the home with Lester Hobbs

July 31, 2007 - The OKDHS recommended in its report to the Lincoln County court that Aja and Sibling 1 remain in OKDHS custody and that both children continue living in the home of the Hobbs’ home.

July 31, 2007 - The court approved the permanency planning goal of reunification with the parents, with the estimated time of completion as October 30, 2007. The court ordered that the children remain in OKDHS custody.

August 2, 2007 - Aja’s mother denied there were weapons in the home, stating that Lester Hobbs had given the guns that had been in the closet to a friend because Lester Hobbs was a felon and was not supposed to have a gun.

August 27, 2007 - documented discussion with the parents regarding the effects on Aja when the parents, in the children’s presence, used derogatory names when speaking of Aja’s biological father and the therapist or when the parents spoke negatively about Aja’s father and the therapist. Lester Hobbs replied that it was “his first amendment right to say what he wanted.”

September 6, 2007 - The CHBS worker documented that Aja told her that Lester Hobbs had used a knife to cut up all the new clothes her biological father had given her. It was also documented that Lester Hobbs had gotten into a fight with a neighbor and that Lester Hobbs had threatened to stab the neighbor. When questioned about the bruises left on Aja at the end of June 2007, the CHBS worker documented that Lester Hobbs stated he had been angry at Aja and “probably hit her too hard because of it.” Also documented on this date was the information that Lester Hobbs had cut Aja’s mattress and her sheets with a knife because he had gotten angry at her.

September 25, 2007 - First report of alleged abuse / neglect received by Lincoln County ...alleged that four-year-old Aja had bruising on her back that was two or three inches wide and four inches long and was described by the reporter as “pretty significant”. The bruising was located in the center of the child’s back, just above her buttocks. It was unknown if there were any other bruises on the child’s body. It was reported that the child first said that her stepfather (Lester Hobbs) had whipped her causing the bruises. The child then changed her story to say the dog had jumped on her causing the bruises. It was also reported that Aja had drawn a picture described by the reporter as a man with a “hairy groin”. When the child was asked about the picture, she explained that the area was a “hairy butt”. Reportedly, the child immediately became anxious and quickly began to erase the picture. The child reported that she had taken a lot of baths with her stepfather. The previous day, Aja had gotten into trouble for trying to hit other children, and there was a witness to the stepfather whipping Aja with his hand. Aja was reported to have one hundred or so insect bites all over her body.

September 26, 2007 - The OKDHS documented contact with Aja and interviewed both children, the children’s mother, Aja’s biological father, Aja’s stepfather (Lester Hobbs), and six collateral witnesses. Worker observed bruising on Aja’s buttocks and back on her left side. The OKDHS further documented the bruises were in the healing stage, brown and yellow in color, and one bruise was in a V-shape. The OKDHS also documented the child appeared notably distressed while her bruises were being observed and photographed. The child stated to the worker that Lester Hobbs had told her not to let anyone see the bruises. The OKDHS further documented Aja denied bathing with her stepfather. The OKDHS documented that the OKDHS permanency planning worker of Lincoln County had “personally warned this family against leaving any marks on the children, or the children could be removed again”. The OKDHS further documented that the parents were “resistant to change and to redirection, and insist on doing things ‘their way” regardless of the effect to the children”. The OKDHS documented a request to the court for a redispositional hearing to address these issues in the parents’ individualized service plan.

September 26, 2007 - documented reports that both parents had whipped Aja with a flexible ruler. The CHBS worker told the permanency planning worker she had specifically discussed with the parents that they were not to use a ruler to discipline the children. Trial reunification placement ended and Aja and Sibling 1 returned to foster care, due to the physical discipline of OKDHS custody children.

I will never understand how abuse can be known, let alone documented, and it is allowed to continue. There really needs to be tougher laws and less apathy. Her own mother failed her.

If I had known first hand that abuse such as this was going on, I would have taken that precious girl and gone to every news station and yell until somebody heard me. There is NO excuse for this EVER.

These poor children. When will the innocent stop being punished by angry, pain-filled animals??? People seem afraid to get involved and children need to be defended. They can't defend themselves.

I am at a loss for words! Angry doesn’t begin to describe how I’m feeling. WTH could these people be thinking to actually leave this baby with these ’! This is the first time I’ve been this furious! These bastards acted like they were playing a game of tug of war with total disregard to the livelihood of Aja and her sibling…and yes, the judge should be just as ashamed as these workers! I am in absolute shock---I keep trying to do this timeline, so that these multiple, multiple, failures cannot be overlooked---and I can’t do it without crying, screaming, and literally pulling my hair out! My goodness, even a dog knows when to come in out of the rain…but these workers, judge, courts, etc., couldn’t seem to tell that these baby’s should’ve been removed FOREVER!!! I don’t give a rat’s *advertiser censored** about trying to keep the family together…you have to have a true family unit, before you can even consider keeping one together ---and a true family unit does not mean physical presence---only!

Look at this BS:

March 13, 2008 - The OKDHS placed the children back into the Hobbs’ home

March 25, 2008 - The OKDHS in Lincoln County recommended to the Lincoln County court that Aja and Sibling 1 remain in OKDHS custody; but in Hobbs home for reunification.

May 8, 2008 - The OKDHS in Lincoln County documented that the children were conditionally safe based on its evaluation of the risk factors: …threat of harm to the children–low level; …But also… The OKDHS documented that Aja would need to be re-evaluated as she continued to make statements that she wanted to burn the house down or cut someone with a knife. The OKDHS documented in the Comments section of the assessment that placing a CHBS services in the Hobbs home was pending due to there being a waiting list. The OKDHS permanency planning worker of Lincoln County indicated she and the therapist would monitor the home situation on a weekly basis until CHBS services could be put into place.

My comments: threat of harm to children is low, but…but…but…Aja’s still wanting to burn the house down or cut someone AND suggestions for CHBS services in home for more intense monitoring. WTH???? If the threat is “low” then why the need for all of the additional monitoring and actions – UNFREAKINGBELIEVABLE

May 20, 2008 - The OKDHS in Lincoln County recommended in its report to the Lincoln County court that Aja and Sibling 1 remain in OKDHS custody, with placement in the Hobbs’ home.

May 21, 2008 - OKDHS ended the trial reunification by returning Sibling 1 to
foster care and admitting Aja to an inpatient psychiatric facility

May 30, 2008 - The District Court of Lincoln County approved the permanency plan of the children’s reunification with the biological mother and Lester Hobbs, with custody remaining with the OKDHS.

My comments: only 9 days after returning 1 to foster care and Aja to inpatient psychiatric treatment – WTH??? Something’s missing between May 20 and May 21…like why the sudden end to the trial reunification? What prompted this I wonder? Might have missed it as I am so freaking mad…

June 10, 2008 - The CHBS worker documented that five-year-old Aja was admitted inpatient at a children’s behavioral health hospital as a result of behavioral problems. The mother reported to the CHBS worker that Aja had violent tendencies toward herself and her family. (ya think???)

July 18, 2008 - Aja was discharged from the acute behavioral health hospital on July 18, 2008, and returned again to trial reunification with her mother and Lester Hobbs.

My comments: this is absolutely amazing – you mean to tell me that no one, NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO PROTECT AJA, saw anything wrong with her coming back to her mother and Hobbs after her 2nd admit / discharge from psych treatment as a result of the FREAKING HOME ENVIRONMENT! And they wonder why Aja had violent tendencies or verbalized them or whatever??? H**L, I am having them now and I'm only reading!

Aja, honey - I am so very sorry that you were failed by so many people that should have protected you. You are safe now sweetie...no more fear or tears from the evilness that surrounded you. I am sure you're watching over your sibling now and I promise you that your WS family will do everything in our power to make sure that she or no one else is subjected to such global failures of a system designed to protect you. I know we can't prevent all of them, but I can assure you that we will go down trying! The only peace I have after learning all of these details is that you are free and at peace!

This is unconscionable. I am embarrassed to live in the state of Oklahoma. The hypocrisy in this state trickles down from the top and infects everything; it's morally indefensible what happened here.

OMG - our poor, poor Aja - she was failed by so many - this report is so disturbing. I am trying to put together a timeline for easier reference and I can't even get through a page without crying. This is unbelievable and must stop! The very system set up to protect our children, in this case our Aja, failed her on so many levels...here's just a snippet from the report: (I am only on pg 6 so this is in no way all inclusive and it's also been snipped to exclude some information I felt was not pertinent to the immediate failures, in an effort to save space).

From the death review document (http://www.okkids.org/):

The OKDHS documented nine referrals regarding the child’s family within the past three years

March 22, 2007 - The recommendations by the OKDHS in Lincoln County in its report to the Lincoln County court were: Aja and her sibling continue in OKDHS custody and remain in their current foster home placement

May 24, 2007 - The OKDHS returned Aja and Sibling 1 to the Hobbs’ home for trial reunification on May 24, 2007. The children had been in foster home placement since July 28, 2006.

June 22, 2007 - The OKDHS in Lincoln County documented that during a worker visit, information was received that Lester Hobbs had spanked Aja. The OKDHS documented explaining to the parents that they could not spank the children.

July 10, 2007 - The CHBS worker documented that Aja’s mother reported that Lester Hobbs had been throwing lit firecrackers into Aja and Sibling 1’s room to wake them in the morning. When Lester Hobbs arrived home for lunch, the CHBS worker told him that he could not use firecrackers in the house as it was a fire hazard. Lester Hobbs did not respond. The worker further documented that when discussing physical discipline, Lester Hobbs stated that he used a flexible ruler to spank the children and that he would continue to use the ruler because he had raised thirteen children and had never left a mark, and that spanking was the only thing that worked. The OKDHS documented Lester Hobbs as saying that “if DHS doesn’t like the way that he disciplines his children, they can take them back and raise the children themselves.”

July 11, 2007 - It was documented that Lester Hobbs thought that the child’s behaviors did warrant physical punishment. The OKDHS permanency planning worker of Lincoln County explained to Lester Hobbs that as a parent he had the right to spank Aja. The worker further explained to Lester Hobbs that when he started leaving bruises on Aja or Sibling 1, it would be a different situation. OKDHS documented that Lester Hobbs stated to the OKDHS worker that if the DHS did not feel that he was able to take care of his children then DHS could come and get the children. The OKDHS documented that Lester Hobbs later stated he did not mean what he had said and that he truly loved and cared for Aja and her sibling.

July 17, 2007 - The CHBS worker documented asking the mother if there were any weapons in the house, such as knives or guns. The documentation indicated the mother denied there were any weapons in the home but that Aja had whispered to the worker that they did have guns in the closet.

July 20, 2007 – documented problems in the home and OKDHS on way to meet LE and remove mom and children from home – CHBS worker took children to safe place

July 24, 2007 – documented that Aja’s mother and children were back in the home with Lester Hobbs

July 31, 2007 - The OKDHS recommended in its report to the Lincoln County court that Aja and Sibling 1 remain in OKDHS custody and that both children continue living in the home of the Hobbs’ home.

July 31, 2007 - The court approved the permanency planning goal of reunification with the parents, with the estimated time of completion as October 30, 2007. The court ordered that the children remain in OKDHS custody.

August 2, 2007 - Aja’s mother denied there were weapons in the home, stating that Lester Hobbs had given the guns that had been in the closet to a friend because Lester Hobbs was a felon and was not supposed to have a gun.

August 27, 2007 - documented discussion with the parents regarding the effects on Aja when the parents, in the children’s presence, used derogatory names when speaking of Aja’s biological father and the therapist or when the parents spoke negatively about Aja’s father and the therapist. Lester Hobbs replied that it was “his first amendment right to say what he wanted.”

September 6, 2007 - The CHBS worker documented that Aja told her that Lester Hobbs had used a knife to cut up all the new clothes her biological father had given her. It was also documented that Lester Hobbs had gotten into a fight with a neighbor and that Lester Hobbs had threatened to stab the neighbor. When questioned about the bruises left on Aja at the end of June 2007, the CHBS worker documented that Lester Hobbs stated he had been angry at Aja and “probably hit her too hard because of it.” Also documented on this date was the information that Lester Hobbs had cut Aja’s mattress and her sheets with a knife because he had gotten angry at her.

September 25, 2007 - First report of alleged abuse / neglect received by Lincoln County ...alleged that four-year-old Aja had bruising on her back that was two or three inches wide and four inches long and was described by the reporter as “pretty significant”. The bruising was located in the center of the child’s back, just above her buttocks. It was unknown if there were any other bruises on the child’s body. It was reported that the child first said that her stepfather (Lester Hobbs) had whipped her causing the bruises. The child then changed her story to say the dog had jumped on her causing the bruises. It was also reported that Aja had drawn a picture described by the reporter as a man with a “hairy groin”. When the child was asked about the picture, she explained that the area was a “hairy butt”. Reportedly, the child immediately became anxious and quickly began to erase the picture. The child reported that she had taken a lot of baths with her stepfather. The previous day, Aja had gotten into trouble for trying to hit other children, and there was a witness to the stepfather whipping Aja with his hand. Aja was reported to have one hundred or so insect bites all over her body.

September 26, 2007 - The OKDHS documented contact with Aja and interviewed both children, the children’s mother, Aja’s biological father, Aja’s stepfather (Lester Hobbs), and six collateral witnesses. Worker observed bruising on Aja’s buttocks and back on her left side. The OKDHS further documented the bruises were in the healing stage, brown and yellow in color, and one bruise was in a V-shape. The OKDHS also documented the child appeared notably distressed while her bruises were being observed and photographed. The child stated to the worker that Lester Hobbs had told her not to let anyone see the bruises. The OKDHS further documented Aja denied bathing with her stepfather. The OKDHS documented that the OKDHS permanency planning worker of Lincoln County had “personally warned this family against leaving any marks on the children, or the children could be removed again”. The OKDHS further documented that the parents were “resistant to change and to redirection, and insist on doing things ‘their way” regardless of the effect to the children”. The OKDHS documented a request to the court for a redispositional hearing to address these issues in the parents’ individualized service plan.

September 26, 2007 - documented reports that both parents had whipped Aja with a flexible ruler. The CHBS worker told the permanency planning worker she had specifically discussed with the parents that they were not to use a ruler to discipline the children. Trial reunification placement ended and Aja and Sibling 1 returned to foster care, due to the physical discipline of OKDHS custody children.

Once again, I have tears for Aja. All the time Aja was being subjected to this horrible abuse, her dad was trying to get custody. NOT even the psyc children's unit prevented her from going back to death row!

Failure to protect our sweet Aja occurred on all levels, professionals galore and nobody would take the extra step to assure her safety. I would love to see the recommendations of the psychiatrists and psychologists on the psyc unit for children - were they ignored or were they even made. How about the school? LE - with Hobb's arrest record, he should have been behind bars. How can people go out, and under the umbrella of protecting children, be so negligent toward a child? moo

Back to my e-mails and letter writing for beautiful Aja - shame on Oklahoma!

Good find. It's shocking - yet I am not shocked, knowing the way things work here.

(snipped from link)
The DHS confirmed Wednesday that Hunter still is an employee, but did not say whether any disciplinary action had been taken.

It also sent a statement that said, "We are not pointing fingers at any party, but instead, we are clarifying we are part of a system designed to protect children. All OKDHS services are designed to build a safety net around vulnerable children and families."

One knows ineptness when one sees an agency having to "clarify" that they are there to protect children, not to put them in harm's way. This sort of statement speaks for itself: long ago many of us voted "no confidence" in the way the state treats those in need.

Ah - how many more Ajas, how many more Kelseys, will there be? This isn't a problem with only one worker; this is systemic failure.

Wonder if Yolanda Hunter knew Hobbs - or if she just hated our little Aja. How does DHS justify keeping her on the payroll and not in prison? moo

And where was the supervisor? At some point, and early-on, Aja's case would be on the desk of someone in charge, not merely a worker in the field - someone who would have to sign off each time a visit produced actionable evidence of cruelty toward a child, and who, one must remember, assigned that worker to the case in the first place. Ms. Hunter may have been the caseworker, but responsibility goes up the chain. Systems like this one don't change precisely because those in authority are covering their own *advertiser censored**es, and, in protecting their own jobs, are endangering the most vulnerable citizens of Oklahoma: our children.

Bright side? OK media is on this story, and chances are it will pursue it. But make no mistake: if Ms. Hunter's is the head that, alone, will roll, and if that is all that is done, and if that decision is allowed to stand and, alone, represent "progress," nothing, nothing will change. OK DHS needs a complete overhaul, top to bottom.

I specifically stayed away from this thread. It's more than I can bear to think of Aja's abuse. DCS doesn't really want to help children, they want to reunite dysfunctional families. Even a dolt could see Lester Hobbs & Tonya were liars. Funny that - I'll bet everyone in his family was scared of him. A bunch of spineless cretins.

Paulette - I've stayed away also. Reading what happened to this poor baby has been more than I can bear.

This case and Ethan's case have done a number on me. You have two extremes - one baby who has been broken for years and years and never knew love. And one who knew only love and was broken down in a matter of days.

I have tried to stay away from this thread too as it hurts when I think of Aja. I still have her name on Google Alerts so when all the articles came out today I got the alerts.

Oh, Aja, I don't know what to say. My heart hurts for you and I can't stop crying!

I still have your missing poster above my computer and I think of you every day, sweet angel.

I followed this story on websleuths, praying that Aja would turn up, then praying that it had ended quickly when the bodies were found. How can so many people ignore these children? I dont believe in conspiracy theories, but it seems like DFS is committed to not being logical and putting these children in harms way./

i had to stop reading before i threw my computer out the window. seriously, cps told him it was all right to abuse her as long as he didnt leave marks?

and im feeling less and less sympathy for aja's mom now more then ever. she knew the abuse he put her thru, not only did she not stop it, when given the chance she put aja right back in the devils path again.

Someone asked about supervisors...this is the only mention of a supervisor signing off / review that I found:

Ongoing Assessment 11/2/2009 – Oklahoma County OKDHS Reported that:

The safety assessment was approved by the supervisor on February 10, 2010 and noted that “Both children are placed outside the reach of Mr. Hobbs’ abusive manner.” Also documented that, Aja’s biological father had obtained legal custody of Aja and that he had agreed to keep Aja away from Lester Hobbs and not to allow Aja’s mother to take her from his home. Additional documentation stated that Lester Hobbs was a danger to the children’s mother. The assessment concluded that the biological father of Aja appeared to have all the resources, drive, and skills to protect Aja.

Yep...supervisor reviewed it after Aja was already missing! While the documentation could have been completed before 2/10/10 - it sounds like a lot of CYA and finger pointing to me...blame the mom for all of it! Not saying she didn't share in this tragedy, just that these "professionals" certainly should have done something to protect Aja, even if her mother did not!

I am outraged and will not let this report go to the back page of anyone reporter, politician, agency, etc., mind...NEVER SHOULD THIS HAVE ENDED THE WAY IT DID!!!!

The Malfeasance of DHS was a topic of discussion today on talk radio KTOK in Oklahoma City. The "open topic" show on Friday is sure to be full of outraged callers. You can listen to the shows stream on Friday 4-7 PM CST. The shows host, Lee Matthews cut loose on DHS today. I sent him the report on Aja via email. http://www.ktok.com/main.html

Thanks for sharing this link and for sharing and sending the absolute astonishment, and shame that we all have for how they allowed this to happen!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
c728
Back