GUILTY OK - Angela Hargrove, 36, & Angela Bassett, 29, slain, Tulsa, 23 Oct 2007

This is the second case I've read about recently that I've honestly wondered if the killer did it for the kick. That's an awful thought. It's the reason we are fascinated with but scared of serial killers -- we know they do it for thrills and that's appalling, but we also wonder that the human mind can be so deviant (I hope no one just skims this and thinks I'm saying a serial killer had anything to do with this. I am not. But because of comments on my blog I'm used to people not reading too closely, hence this clarification).

The other case is the murder of Rita Cavaletto, an Illinois elementary school teacher who was allegedly run over by a guy named Neil A. Barrall. Barrall then raped her, stabbed her, and kicked her in the head. Hideously violent, brutal crime. But the guy only appeared to have one other thing on his record -- a traffic ticket. A hit & run people might grasp, but Barrall then assaulting the woman is just demonic.

Phillips seeming to have little on his record, at least in Tulsa, makes this double-murder bizarre, too. Is there a consensus here that drugs might have fueled this?

Steve/Mr. A

I sometimes feel like a broken record chanting the "methamphetamine" mantra....but I would bet my last dollar that drugs are up one side and down the other side in this case. It may also explain why the guy who was originally a "person of interest" took off in his tractor trailer rig and tried to outrun LE when they initially went to his house to question him. :loser: That still amazes me. Can you imagine sitting in your recliner smoking your crack pipe (or whatever it is these people sit around doing), and seeing a police car pull up in your yard - only to suddenly think "Wow, I better hop in my big ol' tractor trailer rig and haul azz out of here!". That is just incredibly stupid and yet somehow funny to me. Maybe he thought LE was coming for him because of his association with either dealing or manufacturing meth. The other scary thing about meth is that the users are often just your average middle class working Mom and Dad. The drug isn't restricted to the inner city dwellers who most of the world feels isolated from. Meth users walk among us in our schools, churches, and places of business. :doh:

My gut feeling is that Meth was involved. Phillips was arrested on Manufacturing charges in the recent past. It would be a good explanation of why the women were at his house at that time of the night.

As far as the abuse charges against Phillips, I could not find anything on the person he supposedly abused. I did note in the past with other protective orders...they were dropped because the people did not show up for the hearing. (Was this from intimidation?)

I think his past record shows clearly he is a volitile person. For them to charge him in the past few months of strangulation is particularly interesting.

http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=138580

More details -
The assault in April was on his wife.

Sounds like Steve's theory of him doing it "for a kick" may be right.

“We weren't given a reason by those individuals why they were killed. And, I'm not sure we’ll ever know why they killed the victims, but the fact of the matter is they did,” said Tulsa Police detective Vic Regalado.

I watched this on the news and noted the Detective kept referring to the killer as "they". Does this is indicate they are still looking at Tony Hall as being involved in the actual murders or even someone else?

“We weren't given a reason by those individuals why they were killed. And, I'm not sure we’ll ever know why they killed the victims, but the fact of the matter is they did,” said Tulsa Police detective Vic Regalado.
http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=138580

I don't know that I can go along with doing it for kicks theory. (Sorry, Steve!) I think it is directly related to Eric's anger/violence/control issues.

With the foreclosure and mounting bills surrounding his upcoming trial on the other charges...money could be a motive.

Was it a drug deal gone bad? Did they owe him money or use his drugs then not have money to pay for them? Something sent him over the edge.

They have made no mention of rape, but it is possible they are not releasing such information. I wonder if one or both of the women rejected his advances.

"We believe that suspect (Tony) Hall knew Angela Hargrove," says Detective Vic Regalado. "We believe Eric Phillips was only acquainted with her.

According to the police report, Hall told officers that Phillips used a blow torch to burn and dispose of Angela Bassett's cell phone. He said use of the blow torch left a burn mark on the floor. When detectives served a search warrant on Phillips' home, they found partially burned cards and other personal effects belonging to Bassett. They also located the burn mark on the floor as described by Hall. They also located rope and twine similar to that used to bind the victims.

So far, he faces an accessory to murder charge. Phillips is facing murder charges. But, police say they are still gathering information and are looking for more witnesses who have additional insight into the case.

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/1007/467008.html

So far, he faces an accessory to murder charge. Phillips is facing murder charges. But, police say they are still gathering information and are looking for more witnesses who have additional insight into the case.

I think Hall's deeper into this as reported. Just doesn't make sense if he's the one that new Angela B. why the heck would he just pick them up and drop them off at Phillip's house. Drugs or not, that doesn't make sense.

Hall says Phillips called him to come help dispose of the bodies. That should be easy to prove/disprove by checking phone records...

OT- SS, are you an insomniac like me?!

I agree about the phone records. I also would like to see both women's phone records. As I think this sounds like they were set up by Hall...I want to know who initiated him picking them up from the bar. They haven't been clear on this point.

I can't think of any other reason besides drugs for them to be in Phillips' house since they feel the women were just vague acquaintances of his. Everything revolves around Tony in this case. He has to be more involved than he is telling...his story doesn't make sense.

The tarps and rope came from Tony's house, but the burn on the floor from torching Bassett's cell phone was at Phillips' plus they found other belongings (credit cards, DL, etc.) of Bassett's. Where are the purse and items from Hargrove? Strange they would only try to destroy Bassett's things.

If Tony was seeing Hargrove "romantically"...it would make more sense she was with him when the attack on Bassett happened. When/if Phillips called him to come back...did they then kill Hargrove to cover up the other attack?

If Tony was seeing Hargrove "romantically"...it would make more sense she was with him when the attack on Bassett happened. When/if Phillips called him to come back...did they then kill Hargrove to cover up the other attack?
OOOH... Good theory

More about the April incident w/ Phillips:
Cheryl Phillips told deputies that Eric Phillips had shoved her, punched her in the face four to five times, choked her and beat her head against a steel pole after she discovered he had been with another woman, Bowman said.

When police were arresting Phillips, they also found him possessing a white powdery substance, obtained a search warrant for his residence and found the makings of a meth lab along with a pistol and nine rifles and shotguns, Bowman said.
That's always nice when the guy beats the wife for discovering HE'S cheating.

Headed to bed - hope neither of us are on here in the wee hours tonight SS!

I wonder who the other woman was? I am sure that Cheryl feels very fortunate to be alive after what he did to her. (I also hope she wasn't one of those women who ran back to him afterwards.)

A funeral service is set for one of the two women found strangled on Tuesday near 56th Street North. Angela Bassett's family says her funeral will start at 10 o’clock Tuesday morning. The service will be held at the Moore’s Funeral Home located near 19th and South Memorial. Her burial will follow at New Haven Cemetery.

http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=138691

Sadly enough, it does seem to answer that question. If she was still with him at this time these murders occurred...where was she? I would love to be able to interview her myself! I have SO many questions.

The new format on our news sites are welcoming. It will offer more tidbits into what people know and are thinking. I just hope it doesn't turn into a freeforall and ruin it for everyone.

Two Tulsa men have now been charged with two counts of 1st-degree murder for the strangulation deaths of two Tulsa women last month. 41-year-old Eric Phillips and 52-year-old Tony Hall also face two counts of unauthorized removal of a dead body.

http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=139463

They finally figured out that Tony Hall was more involved with these murders!

From March 2009:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/...cle_c9d80951-949a-5603-a3d4-1c9b87b9fa00.html

A Tulsan was sentenced Tuesday to life in prison for the strangulation deaths of two women whose bodies were dumped on a rural road in 2007.

Eric Lee Phillips, 42, pleaded guilty to four felonies — two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of unauthorized removal of a dead body.

From December 2009:

http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/news...cle_09827e2d-5181-593c-b27f-5a89c42b92ed.html

Tony Alton Hall, 54, continued to maintain his innocence Wednesday at a sentencing hearing that followed his conviction Dec. 14...

But Glassco imposed four life sentences, to be served consecutively — two of them for slaying the women, and two for unauthorized removal of a body.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda
Back