GUILTY OK - Lauren Barnes, 20, pregnant, Bethany, 23 Nov 2007

Police Believe Missing Woman Found At Wildlife Refuge

BETHANY, Okla. -- Bethany police believe they have found the body of Lauren Barnes at a wildlife refuge in northwest Oklahoma City.

Police said they received an anonymous tip on Thursday afternoon that a body was located at the refuge. Officers set up a crime scene but decided to postpone their search until Friday due to darkness, citing a desire not to trample over possible evidence.

http://www.koco.com/news/14698289/detail.html

I wanna know who called in the tip. They said it lead them to the right spot. Someone else knows something.. IMO I think someone may have helped him hide the body.. What do you all think?

Either that or his parents may have got it out of him and called it in anonymous.

I wanna know who called in the tip. They said it lead them to the right spot. Someone else knows something.. IMO I think someone may have helped him hide the body.. What do you all think?

Either that or his parents may have got it out of him and called it in anonymous.

I agree that if he did it, he had help. My husband said that being as small as he is, there is no way he could have moved her body without help.

He also could have told someone what happened and where he left her. Someone that he trusted not to say anything but maybe the person didn't feel that it was a secret that he/she could keep as it was a murder.

If they met in that place he could have dragged her to where he left her covered with leaves, etc. I wonder why he was carrying a gun? Didn't they say that they couldn't tell how she died? If he shot her they would have been able to tell.

She was so darn young and it is such a sad situation...especially for her family. Sounds like another guy who didn't want to be a dad.

I considered it being a family member who he told and they wanted to allow LE to find her for her family. However, I have to agree that he is a small fellow and she was five months pregnant. It would have been very difficult for him to do without a trace.

In order for them to have overlooked the area in the previous search, I would have to assume there were no "drag" marks which would indicate that her body was carried to the spot where she was buried. Could he have done this?

I believe they stated on the news the grave was about 100 yards from the parking area and down a rather hidden pathway overgrown with brush. It was dark when they met at the park when he probably killed her. He most likely disposed of her body on Friday night (unless he waited until early on Sat. morning). How did he keep from leaving clues along the trail ie. broken branches, boot/shoe prints, trampled leaves?

He must have had help if he killed her at Eldon park. If he didn't kill her until they arrived at the wildlife preserve where she was found, he could have easily acted alone.

As far as cause of death, I am not going to rule out she was shot. The Chief probably didn't want to get into that area of information. He stated there was no "visible" cause of death, but depending on how she was found and what he actually saw...it is still possible it was a gunshot.

If they met in that place he could have dragged her to where he left her covered with leaves, etc. I wonder why he was carrying a gun? Didn't they say that they couldn't tell how she died? If he shot her they would have been able to tell.

They actually met at Eldon Lyon Park (her car was found there on Saturday) which is several miles from the Stinchcomb Wildlife Refuge where her body was found. Also, she was actually buried 3 ft and then covered with leaves and brush. I don't believe that he was able to dispose of the body on his own, if he is guilty of this.

According to a press conference with the Bethany Police Chief, Troutman said that Phan was very into guns but is unsure whether it was for sport, hobby or something else (you can watch the full press conference at KOCO.com). Also, a friend that was interviewed on out local news stated that he used to go hunting with Phan. I am doubting that he used a gun in her death, however. I am leaning more toward strangulation or suffocation.

One more interesting thing that I've heard (not sure how accurate this is) is that at SNU if a guy gets a girl pregnant he gets kicked out of school there. If true, that would certainly add more motive.

From where they met and where she was found isn't that far. It is only 2 miles. Would take about 5 minutes.

I guess he could have taken her at gunpoint into the woods tho and killed her at the spot where he buried her. This would alleviate the need for a second person. It is very secluded there and no one would have heard her scream or a fight.

As far as the strict bylaws of SNU, this wouldn't surprise me if it were true they would kick a person out of school for such. Phan also is reported to have a girlfriend at the school.

He has motive and opportunity. His plans to become an Othodontist and his girlfriend make for a good motive. We know he was the last one seen with her and the subject matter they discussed was the baby. She was expecting him to be upset, as per the phone call to her sister indicated.

Suffocation or strangulation would be possible, but with strangulation...there should be obvious marks on her neck. This is why I think the Chief was simply skirting the issue and leaving it for the ME to report on.

Vigil Set For Slain Bethany Woman; Suspect's Friend Talks

KOCO.com To Livestream Candlelight Vigil At 7 P.M. Sunday

BETHANY, Okla. -- A candlelight vigil has been organized in Bethany for a slain pregnant woman whose body was found in northwest Oklahoma City on Friday.

Lauren Barnes, 20, was found in a makeshift grave at Stinchcomb Wildlife Refuge on Friday morning, Bethany police said. She had been missing since last Friday.

The public is invited to the vigil at 7 p.m. Sunday at Eldon Lyon Park in Bethany.

Officers said there was no apparent trauma to Lauren Barnes' body, but Bethany Police Chief Neal Troutman said he would wait for an autopsy to reveal an official cause of death.

I guess he could have taken her at gunpoint into the woods tho and killed her at the spot where he buried her. This would alleviate the need for a second person. It is very secluded there and no one would have heard her scream or a fight.

You may be right! I live within 1 mile from there and have heard gunshots coming from the area in the past (even though it is a Wildlife Refuge, people like to go hunting there). Sadly, if anyone heard a gunshot coming from there, they probably just ignored it because it is usually just hunters.

this reminds me so much of kristine kupka. very similar,, foreign man (not that that really makes a diff, since all men kill)... both had promising careers and other relationships and were livid that their 'other women' got pregnant, and could not stand to see an unwanted baby ruin their chance at a successful career (not to mention their other marriage/relationship).
this is one reason why i believe it is a bad idea to bring a child into the world unless BOTH parents want it!!! of course, if the man doesn't want a child with the woman he is sleeping with then he should not be an idiot in the first place and use protection. (or,, not LIE and say he doesn't mind if she gets pregnant-- very common scenario!) either way... it's just a bad idea. your baby will end up with a father who doesn't want them.. or you both might end up dead.

speaking of which... kk's website is down, for the first time since she has gone missing (almost 10 yrs now)... i guess her family figures it's no use at this point... meanwhile her killer is out there living his life (but hopefully not happily)..... RIP lauren, and kristine....

Report: Dead Pregnant Woman Texted Sis She Was Afraid of Baby's Father

BETHANY, Okla. — A pregnant woman found dead in Oklahoma Friday texted her sister that she was afraid the father of her baby would "blow up" because she'd told his girlfriend she was pregnant, NewsOK.com reports.

Lauren Barnes, 20, of Bethany, Okla., sent the text message at 8:34 p.m. Nov. 23 as she waited near a park for Eric Phan — the man police are holding on a murder complaint in connection with the case — according to a court affidavit, NewsOK.com.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,314743,00.html

OMG! She told his GF!! Wow! That is huge!! There is the definite motive....and it makes me wonder now if his GF will turn out to be the one who may have helped him.

Barnes was found dead on Friday after a weeklong search. According to the Oklahoma state medical examiner, Barnes died from asphyxia.

Services are scheduled for 2 p.m. Tuesday at Putnam City Baptist Church. Barnes' family has invited the community to her funeral.

He later confessed to his best friend, admitting he had choked Barnes and thought he broke her neck, the affidavit states.

Phan said he dumped her body at the wildlife preserve, the friend told police.

http://www.newsok.com/article/3176530/

Why wasn't THIS the headline for the story?! It was just a blurb at the bottom!! What is up with their editor?! Sheesh!!!

This is so sad. I wonder if his best friend is the one who called in the tip that lead police to the EXACT location of the body? Or if it was someone else that had helped him. Sounds like he told the friend that she was at the Stinchcomb Wildlife Reserve, but was he given the exact location there? So many questions! I am just glad that he was dumb enough to confide in someone so that Lauren was able to be found. Sadly, many never get that closure.

this reminds me so much of kristine kupka. very similar,, foreign man (not that that really makes a diff, since all men kill)... both had promising careers and other relationships and were livid that their 'other women' got pregnant, and could not stand to see an unwanted baby ruin their chance at a successful career (not to mention their other marriage/relationship).
this is one reason why i believe it is a bad idea to bring a child into the world unless BOTH parents want it!!! of course, if the man doesn't want a child with the woman he is sleeping with then he should not be an idiot in the first place and use protection. (or,, not LIE and say he doesn't mind if she gets pregnant-- very common scenario!) either way... it's just a bad idea. your baby will end up with a father who doesn't want them.. or you both might end up dead.

speaking of which... kk's website is down, for the first time since she has gone missing (almost 10 yrs now)... i guess her family figures it's no use at this point... meanwhile her killer is out there living his life (but hopefully not happily)..... RIP lauren, and kristine....

Not that i am trying to hijack this thread, but Persaud, KK's alleged killer/kidnapper, is a practicing dentist now and is on a website that allows you to rate him as a dentist. Check out some of the comments...
http://www.vimo.com/dentist/dentist-view-review/Darshanand+Persaud/12841/

This is so sad. I wonder if his best friend is the one who called in the tip that lead police to the EXACT location of the body? Or if it was someone else that had helped him. Sounds like he told the friend that she was at the Stinchcomb Wildlife Reserve, but was he given the exact location there? So many questions! I am just glad that he was dumb enough to confide in someone so that Lauren was able to be found. Sadly, many never get that closure.
I would like to find out who the tipster was, too. Was it the best friend or the GF?!

I would like to find out who the tipster was, too. Was it the best friend or the GF?!

Or someone else? I just can't see the girlfriend helping him dispose of the body, but you never know. A best friend, maybe. I just wonder how many people have called in the tips that led to Phan's arrest.

Does anyone know what the relationship was between Phan and Lauren?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back