GUILTY OK - Lori Kastner, 44, murdered in her Tulsa home, 25 June 2008

Just read this thread. I could see the outcome from the beginning. Shot in the hand. I'd like to know more about this, motive? Probably $ - wife was taking a non-profit job.

At the below link is an article regarding a bizarre speach given in May by John Kastner. There is a comment elaborating on his dismissal from his coaching job. Did he really have 200K to give? Was that delusions of granduer or desperation to keep his job? It seems his world was crumbling pretty quicky around him. Not sure how old the High School staff pic is, but his appearance has changed.

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cach...webster+high+school&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=25&gl=us

Webster teacher and coach John Kastner said at the Athletic Awards Banquet Tuesday night that he will give $100,000 to Coach James Harper to distribute among the football coaching staff if the team wins five games this year.
He also offered $100,000 to principal Phil Garland to distribute if he can make a five percent improvement in the attendance rate.

Kastner said as well that he would offer a public resignation the Monday after football season ends if the team does not win five games.

(more and comment at the above link)

John seemed to be having delusions of granduer or something close to it. What was he thinking ? His speech, the money offered, the resignation..now the murder and his arrest..something was really off with this guy for awhile.

John seemed to be having delusions of granduer or something close to it. What was he thinking ? His speech, the money offered, the resignation..now the murder and his arrest..something was really off with this guy for awhile.

I agree, I keep looking for more and so far am not coming up with anything.

Affidavit of probable cause:

http://downloads.newsok.com/documents/kastneraffidavit.pdf

ETA: You really have to read this. John's story was so full of holes.

ETA: Below is my synopsis of what's in the PDF doc. This guy has a screw loose! Starting on pdf page 4 under Investigative results, John had backed himself into a corner the day after his wife's murder because of his claims to have a million dollars in a non profit account through the Israeli military and that he was a member of the Israeli Special Forces. Guess what non profit his wife quit her job for? You got it, the Israeli non profit that doesn't exist. That's why the family was leaving for Israel. Further investigation revealed there was never a flight scheduled and that John did not have a passport.

He cancelled meetings with Webster High School Admin the day before the murder. This meeting was to finalize the 200K promise that John made. He claimed he was inheriting a million dollars from an invention his father made. The meeting was rescheduled for the day after the murder. But because of the murder he couldn't make the meeting. The school was depending on the financial promise as they had already hired additional coaching staff and procured quotes on $80,000.00 worth of equipment.

Further investigation revealed there is no non-profit account, inheritance, but susbstancial credit card debt.

http://newsok.com/wifes-slaying-was-part-of-a-cover-up-police-say/article/3262938/?tm=1214590581

(snips)
A high school teacher allegedly shot his sleeping wife twice in the head to cover up his lies and delusions involving claims that he was a member of the Israeli Special Forces and had access to millions from a phony charitable corporation associated with the Israeli military, according to an arrest affidavit filed today

He was charged today with murder in the death of his wife, Lori Kastner, a former attorney at the Oklahoma Supreme Court. The court affidavit says she quit her job last month to go to work for John Kastner’s fictional nonprofit organization.

Police are still gathering evidence. While Palmer said the motive hasn’t been determined, police said the end result apparently was an effort to cover up John Kastner’s lies about a business, charities, and a promised trip to Israel, Palmer said, referring to the affidavit.

Did you notice in the affadvit they mentioned all the DVD's of crime shows? Apparently he didn't watch any othem. What a buffoon! This would be funny if that poor woman wasn't dead, and her children orphans.

Did you notice in the affadvit they mentioned all the DVD's of crime shows? Apparently he didn't watch any othem. What a buffoon! This would be funny if that poor woman wasn't dead, and her children orphans.

I did notice that. The stories he told everyone about the million dollars and everything were so absurd. I mean the promise of 200K to the high school was so off the wall it made it into the paper. His wife even quit her job as a Supreme Court Judge! So why did everyone believe him? The only explanation I can see would be he was a stand up guy previously. So what caused him to suddenly go delusional? Mental illness? Drugs?

ETA: even his appearance changed.

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0608/531662.html

(snip)
John Robert Kastner was arrested this morning after a first-degree murder charge was filed against him. He's accused of killing his wife, Lori, then telling investigators an intruder had done it. In his journal found in the home by detectives, a June 22nd passage read, "... Wow. Intense pressure. She was right. I do put things off hoping that problems will cure themselves. Unfortunately, time has not slowed, stopped or gone backward. There is no next week..."

Well...we saw that one coming. One thing about TPD...they don't waste time. I had predicted he would be in jail by the end of the week and he is. It makes me so angry he involved the 19yo in such a way. Poor girl obviously had problems to begin with and look what he did on top of killing the closest thing she had to a mother. What a !

You would think his wife would have been able to see through that BS long before he carried it this far tho. She must have been such a trusting and loving person. This reminds me so much of Mark and Lori Hacking. Very sad and very cruel. He let down a lot of people, but the worst of all was his family.

What a bizarre man. I wonder if she was coming to the realization something was very off with him? Maybe they had a discussion and he sensed she was starting to understand what was happening...he couldn't just let it hang so he murdered her.

I still don't know what he hoped to gain by murdering his wife though. That wouldn't change all the stories and lies he made up. And how was he going to get out of those lies about the money and job in Israel to his friends and family?

It is amazing to me that so many people believed his story about being in the Israel military, the money etc. Didn't anyone find that strange?

So sad for all the children involved.

He must have been very convincing! The people he was conning were educated and professionals.

It came down to he and his wife were supposed to board a private plane and head to Israel later that day. He didn't even have a current passport according to reports. He was to be found out and thought this would solve his problem. Murdered wife by an intruder would be a reason not to go and to save face when he didn't come through with the millions he had promised everyone.

How much insurance did he have on her? He had pledged a lot of money for athletics at the school where he taught.

Investigators also detailed financial promises Kastner had allegedly made to Webster High School to donate more than 200-thousand dollars as well as additional financial backing to athletic officials to hire extra coaches and buy new football equipment.

The affidavit says school officials indicated they were relying on those promises and had hired coaches and met with vendors to get quotes on more than 80-thousand dollars worth of athletic equipment.

Search warrants were served on the Kastner residence and no documentation regarding the '713 Corporation' could be found nor was there any evidence of any inheritance he was about to receive.

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0608/531620.html

According to a probable cause affidavit obtained by NewsChannel 8, Kastner was deep in credit card debt and had lied to his family, friends and co-workers about millions of dollars he was to inherit from an invention his father had created for printing presses.

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0608/531662.html

I don't know if there is any but if there is a substantial insurance policy then maybe he thought he could pull this off and pay his pledges and not have to go to Israel as promised.

Somewhere I read that he not only promised the schools athletic department 200K, he promised to gift them a total of 2 million dollars over the next few years.

ETA: here is the reference to the 2 million dollars for the school.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=8568628

(snip)
TPS says Kastner also pledged 80 to 90 thousand dollars for football equipment, and that he would set up a foundation to disperse two million dollars for Webster Academics over three years. Police say Kastner was set to meet with school officials to discuss his money plans the day his wife was murdered.

I hope someone will start a fund for the school since they were so horribly duped. It is sad the kids not only have to deal with one of their mentors being a murderer, but I am sure they were excited about new equipment etc. Their hearts will be crushed in many ways with this. It is so senseless and so very sad how many lives this one man affected with his lies.

I believe several new employees were hired as well. Will they lose their jobs now? Sad.

More on the school donation promises and the odd speech. Below is a weird incident two days before the murder.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080628_19_A1_hHerec190526

(snip)
Kastner left a voice mail message for a Tulsa World education reporter on Monday, saying he wanted to report instances of "cheating" on student attendance and graduation rates, as well as "illegal athletes" on sports teams.

He said in his message that he had been "admonished" and recently "lost" his duties as a coach and athletic director at Webster High School, although he did not specify why.

Marler said Kastner had voluntarily stepped down as co-athletic director but had been expected to continue on as an English teacher with extra-duty assignments as the cross-country and track coach and assistant baseball coach.

What a bizarre story. Not to make light, but you would think he would make up another baloney story to cover the nonexistent $$ instead of killing his wife. Truly, truly bizarre.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back